Missed an 8 footer on 18 for birdie and a 79 (I’ve never broken 80)... what are your heartbreaks?

dxdgenert

I don't know that I'd quite call it heartbreak, but last night I flirted with even par for 9 holes.

I was 1 over coming into the 9th, a 486 yard par 5 that I've eagled once and birdied a bunch of times. Hammered my drive (for me, not by WRX standards), had about 210 left into the green. Was slightly behind a tree, about 10 feet, still with a clean shot at the green. Or so I thought.

I hit a 4 iron dead on, right at the pin, looking beautiful. Unfortunately, it got up in the air quicker than I expected, and caught an overhanging branch on the way by. Didn't hurt me too bad, left me short of a bunker in front of the green, about 35 yards from the pin, but if it had gotten through clean, I would have had a pretty good shot at an eagle to get to 1 under. Hit a lob over the bunker about 10 feet past the pin.

Left me with a very slippery downhill putt that broke about 2 feet. Left it an inch short, dead center on the cup. One more roll and I'd have had the birdie to get to even par.

I'm not going to complain about a 37, though, definitely the best 9 I've played in 25 years (personal best is 2 under, back when I wore a younger man's clothes).

This just happened to me last weekend.

Bombed drive, perfect layup, stuck my wedge to 6ft below the hole for birdie and a chance at even par for the back. Since I was closest I got not one, but 2 reads of the putt, one from below the hole one from above. Still missed it low side! I lipped out a birdie chip on 11 too FUUUUUUUU

Don;t be so hard on yourself for missing that putt, you didn't break 80 because of it. If you look back at your card, you can see where you probably left 3 or 4 shots out there that if you had avoided a bogey or double, you could have easily broken 80. Believe me I know, a couple of weeks ago i shot an 82 and after looking at my card, I saw that if I had pared a hole here or there, I would have been in the mid 70s. Frustrating, I know, but hang in there, it'll come.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

• 3 weeks later...

Having never shot even par for a round I three putted from 20 ft on 16 to go +1. Then bogeyed #17 (a hard hole) to go +2. #18 is a par 5 which I have never reached in two, but I hit a good drive and took out a 3 wood and actually hit the green with it. Then I missed a 20 putt by a foot and birdied for a +1 score.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite heartbreak, but earlier in the year I shot 72 missing a 10’ putt for birdie on 18. With a 3 year old and 1 year old I don’t play nearly as much as I used to or as I would like and it has been years since I have broken par. Which, as a 4 HC seems a bit odd. I knew what the putt was for but I don’t believe in the don’t keep up with your score. I mean you’re writing it down after every hole, how could you not know where you stand when you pull driver on the par 5 18th 2 under on the back 9 and E on the day lol! However, 16 is a 230 yard par 3 and I two putted for par from about 50’ so I wasn’t complaining on the day.

Late to this party but congrats on your PB.

I don't believe that knowing your score hurts you. I know my score at all times. Our club champ knows the score of everyone in his group at all times. Ask JR Smith if he wishes he knew the score in game 1... not sure there's a right or wrong here.

What you should take from that is that you have shot 81 a bunch of times. If your consistently around there you will get into the 70s by skill or just luck.

An 8 footer for bird is not a high percentage putt. Maybe 30 percent as a double digit. You gave it a chance... job done. You didn't short change yourself. (I really hate when people get mad at missed 6-10 footers... PGA tour avg is like 45 percent).

Keep playing, your consistent enough. It will happen, then happen again

I choked away my cities championship many years ago in a playoff. I hit my approach long which was death he hit his approach short which was an easy up and down. The lesson I learned that day was to take one club to account for adrenaline because I had hit into that green a thousand times.

One funny heartbreak I had was when I told my buddy at my home course as I’m standing on 18 tee. “Dude if I birdie this hole I shoot my career low!”

-I proceeded to hit two OB off the tee and make a 12 hahaha. Golf gods punished me hard.

many moons ago, when I knew how to play this game, I was set to break 70 for the first time ever. I stood on 18 tee needing a par to shoot 69. I was a 3 handicap at the time. I piped my drive down the middle, and left myself a 60ish yard flip wedge to the huge two tiered green. Licking my chops, I proceeded to lay sod over the ball that ended up flying all of about 10 yards, right into the pond just short of the green. I managed to get #4 onto the front of the green, but two putted for a crowd pleaser of a double. Still my best score, but I was steaming!

10 years later, I still have never broken 70, and now struggle to break 80.

Just last weekend I was having a personal best round. I went into 18 at 3 over, hit a bomb of a drive on the final hole which is a par 5. I had 187 in and hooked my 6 iron, but not badly enough to be in trouble. I was able 10 yards left of the green. Hit a solid chip shot to about 10 feet. Walking up to it, in my mind all I was thinking was im either going to be 2 or 3 over at the worst, which would be my personal record. My playing partner said something smart to me and I casually said back "no way I three putt that." Well, what do you know, I freaking three putted it. I blasted my first putt well beyond the hole, which was strange because my putting was lights out all day I think it was nerves and adrenaline. Second putt came up just short and tapped in for bogey. Finished 4 over which ties my low score on a par 72. That was heart breaking.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Just the opposite, the first time I broke 80, I shot 43 on the front and was one under on the 18th tee for the back 9. And I knew it. 18th hole on this course can easily lead to a big number with a wayward drive. I parred 18. Still, my proudest moment as a golfer.

Biggest heartbreak hole was on #2 of the same course. It was the 2nd sudden death playoff hole in a big match. I hooked an 8 iron over the green and into the water with my opponent sitting at 20 feet away on the green.

Golf is full of heartbreak.

Doubled 18 last night for an 81...........

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I shot an 84 the other day...with a 10 on a Par 4. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I thought about going back to that hole after finishing the round and giving myself a “belated mulligan” but it was 95F and I decided I’d rather go home and have a shower.

Had a ball plug in the rough and I didnt find it till later on when finishing the front (1 and 9 share a bit of rough) so I took a penalty for a lost ball.

Had I found it and not had to take the penalty I would have broken par for the first time (assuming I would have played the same)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Bogeyed 18 and shot a 73 Labor Day weekend. 3putt. Nerves I guess. Im weak. 73 is still a personal best for me. Even par would have been nice. Probably my best ball striking round of 2018. Havent sniffed that kind of score since.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

i shot a 67 (par 72) once by going -5 on the back 9. i had a 10'er for birdie at 18 to shoot 30 with a bogey on the back -- would've been my best 9 hole score ever. i missed.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Same boat on my round last Monday. Make the turn at one over and looking at a back 9 that has two reachable par 5's, a drivable 4, and a wedge in hand par 3 and not a ton of trouble besides the 17th which is a 490 yard par 4. End up making a bunch of bogeys and could only muster a par on the par 5 18th to shoot a 80(this was my third round of 80 but have never broken it)

TM Sim 2 with Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue PVD 
TM SIM MAX WITH TOUR AD-DI
TM M2 Tour "Truck" 5 wood w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 80X

Taylormade P790 4
Taylormade P770 5-P
VOLEY SM5 50

VOKEY SM8 54
VOKEY SM8 58 
TM Ardmore 3 Copper

Missed a 6 footer to send my team to nationals my senior year of college.

Missed an 8 footer to go the US Open

Missed a 5 footer to force a playoff in sectionals to go the US Open

Missed a 10 footer to advance to finals

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about all the putts or shots that you missed, whether it is to shot your new personal best, advance in qualifying, or win a tournament. I learned to look at all the other great shots I hit to get into that position to have those opportunities.

Played the same course, yesterday but didn’t tally my score this time... Knocked in an 8 foot putt for par on 18, for an 89... This game will kill you, if you let it. Yesterday was a completely different round than the 80. My chipping was awful and my driving was very inconsistent. Alas, an 89.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I personally wouldn't classify this as "heartbreaking". Heartbreaking to me is needing a bogey or better on 18 to break 80. We're about the same skill level - I struggled for a decade to break 80 at my home course and had my share of bogeys/double bogeys on 18 to shoot 80/81. Happened at least 10 times. Given our skill level we can realistically expect to par about 7-9 holes on average every round and birdie 1 to 2 holes per 18. So needing to birdie 18 to break 80 is not a realistic scenario. You can expect to do that at best 10% of the time. Even needing to score par is about 50% chance. You were very close and the birdie miss is very disappointing, but you birdie'ing 18 to break 80 would've been exceptional.

Now needing just a bogey, which we should be able to score at least on any given hole is close to 90%, and then scoring a double bogey is heartbreaking. You played well, gave yourself a cushion on 18 and made at least one unacceptable error is very deflating and frustrating.

Enjoy the career round. Focus on the positives. You have the game, just need to reduce/eliminate the double bogeys.

I've gone back and forth on to tally or not to tally score during the round.

I think it's kind of irrelevant because when you're playing decent making pars and bogeys it's almost impossible to not know your score plus/minus 1 stroke. So whether you add it up or not, you know going into that last couple holes you need to play well to finish off the round. So, the pressure is there regardless.

I went from never adding up until the end to now I like to add my front and then check the score on 16. The pressure to hit good shots is there whether you tally or not, knowing exactly where you stand I've found is actually relaxing because it eliminates the distraction of wondering where you stand constantly in the back of your head.

The round that stands out to me the most was a round from a few summers back with some buddies. We were playing a mini tournament between 5 of us, and I was +2 going into 16. I went double-bogey-quintuple bogey to finish out with an 81. I slam dunked a wedge for eagle on 11 to put me at +1 for the day. Bogeyed 13, and went par-par on 14 and 15. 16 is a tough hole, so a bogey or par feels like a gift.

The bogey on 17 was from a bad drive behind a tree, so my fault there, but 18 was just a blow up. It's a tough driving hole with water short, and water long, so I decided to just play smart and hit 3 wood off the tee, and just block it right into the water and had to hit again from the tee because of how bad I missed right.

Got the 3rd in the fairway, and proceeded to hit it so fat, that I hooked it 50 yards left into the water. Next shot was fat, I think, and then got it on the green with a wedge and 2-putted for the 9. Never been so upset about an 81, but I was still leading my buddies by 5 or 6 shots after that round.

Looking back, I could have hit driver instead, and if I'm long in the water, I'm better off hitting my 3rd after the penalty and the distance instead of my 3rd from the tee, but I can't do anything about it now.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Not sure if this is the right sub forum but today, I had a putt at 79. This is a huge number for me, as I’ve never broken 80.

The putt was a straight 8 footer, uphill. I just missed the edge and went 2 feet past. Easily knocked in my frustrated, one handed, swipe for a par and a personal best 80. I’ve shot 81 several times but this is the first time I’ve had a putt at 79 (I’m also frustrated that I had three double bogeys on the card). I even made a video, in case I made it (that was a dumb, of course). Since my daughter was born 3 years ago, finding the time to golf has been tough. Add in a another daughter during that time and my game has been dreadful, at times. This year, my wife has encouraged (allowed) me to play every other week and the results are beginning to pan out.

Anyhow, part of this is a rant and part is back slapping boast. What are your heartbreakers on the course?

Hang in there. Overall, well played. Cut the double bogies and you'll easily be in the 70s maybe sniffing mid 70s. You got one milestone now get the other!

My personal best is 70, many times and several with a chance to par or birdie the last hole for a 69. Every single time I either choke or not complete the task. Yes, it's mental. I know once that's broken more sub 70s would occur. Now I'm not good enough to break 70 but I'm working on it. Maybe one day.

Been there.

I've shot 70/71 a half dozen times or so.

Once shot 70 on a day when I was playing a casual round by myself on aerated greens and wasn't really keeping score. I had a looooong (45-50 feet-ish) from off the fringe birdie putt on 18 and was just trying to roll it close enough for a safe par--instead I lipped out the birdie that would have given me 69.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

Most of my milestone breaking rounds have come after slowish starts, not hot ones.

I've broken 80 once. Birdied 14 to get to 1 over for the day. Started "counting strokes" at that point and totally choked. Bogey on 15 but a hard hole. Bogey on 16...an easy hole. Lucky bogey on 17 after I told myself that if I hit that fairway I'm good to go (toughest hole left). I double-crossed and hit it so far left that it was back in play (with tons of OB left). So now 4 over through 17, but no way I quadruple 18...right? Especially after I pipe my drive right down the middle. I had a 9 iron left into the green, but of course put the next shot into the pond fronting the green. Cleared it on the next shot but barely. Chipped up and two-putted ("Thank God") for a 79.

Had a chance to do it again a few weeks ago. 6 over through 17. I tripled #1 and doubled #3, but got hot after that...needed to bogey 18 (which is actually an easy hole). I screwed it up in every way I could but still almost holed a bunker shot for 79, but tapped it in for an 80...ugggh!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have started hot and been Even, or 1 or 2 over, or even 1-under, through at least 9 or more holes to then later totally choke whatever score I was shooting for. I've tried so hard to not know where I am or ignore it, and I can usually do it for a few holes. What usually gets me is a birdie which gives me a cushion...and then it is like I let up assuming I have it in the bag.

I can't help knowing my score, though. My mind tracks numbers with ease. When I played baseball in high school, I knew my batting average after every at-bat. I would know it as I ran to first base. I just can't help it, thus I also can't help knowing where I stand relative to par no matter whether I write a score down or not. I just know. So my technique has been to try to not let it affect my approach, and to avoid talking about it. Hasn't worked so far...

Why does knowing the score do this to us?

Do we get stiff and lose our swing? Do we subconsciously bring ourselves down?

IDK, but my heartbreak so far goes like this:

Standing on the 18th tee, waiting for a group in front, I made the error of mentally adding up my score. Had a tough start to the round and had kept score out of my head, but knew from about the 5th on I was playing well.

Now, keep in mind I play off 18. I had been having lessons and doing a lot of work, so was happy to see my swing getting me into birdie chances and walking off with at worse a par on all holes since the 5th...

So, I figured I was about 8 over to the 5th, and from there was 2 under, so standing on the 18th at 6 over... Par 72 course.

This was my first time shooting sub par nine holes, and a likely first ever sub 80.

I proceeded to pull my drive left OOB on 18, and finished with a double bogey.

Yep. Even par 9.

But, as it turns out I was actually 9 over at that point and finished 11 over. Still a PB and celebrated it.

But lesson learner. I do not add upscores until finished. If my mind starts to think score, I try to destract myself. And, if my playing partners tell me the score, I tell them it doesn't matter to me and put something else into my head.

I'm now more and more convinced the mental approach of thinking about only the shot I am about to take is so very very important.

I'm also convinced that my subconscious thinks I'm a bogey golfer, because despite putting together several good holes, I manage to walk off with a bogey round.

Any ideas you how to fix this bogey mentality?