2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I500 Questions and reviews...

russian7

Glad Ping discovered the issue. Now we can all breathe and buy... :-)

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

UPDATE: Ping engineer called me today to clear it up. He informed me that it was a batch of irons that had been laser welded with an inaccurate weld material. They have corrected the issue and are replacing my full set. They sent me a label and are sending my sticks 2 day. If for whatever reason it has additional issues or does not meet my satisfaction they will work with me to find a new set within the current range and give me credit for the difference. All in all, fantastic experience with the exception of the issue itself.

Great news for you! Good to hear they are taking care of the issue. My experience with Ping was a little different. The rep I talked to seemed a little skeptical when I described what was happening.

Fantastic news that they acknowledged, and hopefully solved, the weld issues. Never a doubt in my mind Ping would take care of any issues the proper way.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

UPDATE: Ping engineer called me today to clear it up. He informed me that it was a batch of irons that had been laser welded with an inaccurate weld material. They have corrected the issue and are replacing my full set. They sent me a label and are sending my sticks 2 day. If for whatever reason it has additional issues or does not meet my satisfaction they will work with me to find a new set within the current range and give me credit for the difference. All in all, fantastic experience with the exception of the issue itself.

Great news for you! Good to hear they are taking care of the issue. My experience with Ping was a little different. The rep I talked to seemed a little skeptical when I described what was happening.

I agree....I called yesterday and they said they hadn't heard of issues an that I shouldnt worry...I told him I'd send him pictures and he said it was like 1 in 1000 deal...hmmmmmm not too confident now

I agree....I called yesterday and they said they hadn't heard of issues an that I shouldnt worry...I told him I'd send him pictures and he said it was like 1 in 1000 deal...hmmmmmm not too confident now

Theyre trained to tell you that. "hadnt heard of issues". Its a method to subdue.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

Played at least a 1/2 dozen rounds with the i500's and each one leaves me more and more confident. I'm seeing much better dispersion than I've experienced in the past and the distance is definitely there; however, I've had just a slight issue holding some greens. I think it's still more than I'm trying to get too much out of the clubs.

I just love the feel of the i500 "in your hand". Inspiring is the only word that comes to mind.

TXG on You Tube just did a review on all the specs. Very interesting finds!? ;)

Send me the link I can't find it

Michael Newton did the same test (although he hit the 7 iron if memory serves and the TXG guy hit the 5) and hit the retro loft higher with more spin i.e. the opposite result.

I think this is why it's important to hit clubs for yourself and not base decisions off other people's results.

I am a big Ping fan. If they make the club, I try and usually buy it. I trust that if they bring something out it is likely to be an improvement.

I have been gaming the Srixon 765 and they are fantastic, but I am always looking for something else. I am a 2.4 index now

The Good:

• Great looking, little offset, buy the time you get down to 5 and especially 4 iron they get a little long
  • Ball is not ballooning and I believe after 3-4 rounds
  • I am getting a little more distance I think versus Srixon (which are pretty long for a "traditional" iron)
  • Not getting any "hot spots" or crazy long shots
  • Seem to be reasonably forgiving

The Bad:

• At first I thought they felt and sounded terrible. Really bad. After a few rounds, I would upgrade that a bit, but it is hard for me to figure out where I hit the ball on the face, the sound is not very pleasing.

Overall I think they are good irons. I happen to love the irons I have previously am going to keep playing them head to head

Played at least a 1/2 dozen rounds with the i500's and each one leaves me more and more confident. I'm seeing much better dispersion than I've experienced in the past and the distance is definitely there; however, I've had just a slight issue holding some greens. I think it's still more than I'm trying to get too much out of the clubs.

I just love the feel of the i500 "in your hand". Inspiring is the only word that comes to mind.

That's awesome!

How do you know about the hot melt? Never heard of this before and my own irons seem to feel/sound like they are hollow.

In any case, I send my irons back to Ping for some kind of warranty as I could see the weld line on half the irons and the 5i had little crack along the weld line as well. They are very good irons so I hope they get replaced and I will continue to game them.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

They are indeed hollow. They do have a hot melt-like material that can be seen/felt by removing the screw on the toe. I inserted a tee to "feel around" and the cavity is nearly full with the material.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

They are indeed hollow. They do have a hot melt-like material that can be seen/felt by removing the screw on the toe. I inserted a tee to "feel around" and the cavity is nearly full with the material.

Interesting, so that should provide some structural integrity then to the iron heads. Funny, if that's the case I would assume they would feel more muted like the P790.

Ping G430 Max Driver

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

I am not sure but I hope I get my clubs back within a couple weeks as I am using my other irons for now. I originally wanted to take them with me to Mission Hills in China but if they don't get back in time then so be it.

Ping G430 Max Driver

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Looking good for my set so far, no visual issues. I"ve had them for about 3 weeks and ~10 rounds. Fingers crossed it was a small batch issue that has been corrected.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Final update: got RE-Fit with my local fitter and decided on a combo set with lofts adjusted. Went iblade 6-P, i500 3,4,5 loft adjusted to meet 46* wedge. Got them in 2 days, gap tested on flightscope yesterday. They are amazing. Feel great, go the right distances. Carry: 148PW, 157yd 9, 169yd 8, 182yd 7, 195yd 6, i500: 208yd 5, 222yd 4, PowerSpec 3 iron - 238yd 17*

All in all I couldn’t be more pleased with the look and feel, not to mention the customer service. They stood out for me here and made me a ping believer for life.

Final update: got RE-Fit with my local fitter and decided on a combo set with lofts adjusted. Went iblade 6-P, i500 3,4,5 loft adjusted to meet 46* wedge. Got them in 2 days, gap tested on flightscope yesterday. They are amazing. Feel great, go the right distances. Carry: 148PW, 157yd 9, 169yd 8, 182yd 7, 195yd 6, i500: 208yd 5, 222yd 4, PowerSpec 3 iron - 238yd 17*

All in all I couldn’t be more pleased with the look and feel, not to mention the customer service. They stood out for me here and made me a ping believer for life.

FYI- All distances on flightscope with local elevation of 1700ft local course in Vegas.

FYI- All distances on flightscope with local elevation of 1700ft local course in Vegas.

One of my buddies did the exact same split set thing and loves that setup. Congrats!

Gosh I miss playing at elevation...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Went and hit a few balls at the range, feel isnt as soft as my forged tec black... I put s-300 shafts in mine and I did not notice the extreme High launch everyone else did.

The irons were very easy to hit and consistent and man are they long! I was like 1 club longer, more in long irons.

The blade length is definitely longer in the long irons and they have a very thin Top Line giving them more of a blade appearance but they seem to be fairly forgiving and workable.

I really like the thinner sole on these irons as most other pings I have had trouble with the really wide soles.

I was able to work them both ways and flight them on the Range.

I swear the 3-iron was like a 3-wood it was going so far.

That's the one right there. And nor should they send you a third... that's the right thing.

Without looking does anybody know how the ping warranty would work for a non original owner? Looking at buying a used set but if the warranty doesn’t transfer may not be a good idea. Thanks

I have been thinking more and more about getting a set of I500s with X7 shafts.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just wanted to give a shout out to Ping regarding their customer service. Got my replacement 5i and 8i today. Total turn around for replacement was about 10 days and the process was very easy and Ping reps were all very professional making the process super simple. Great customer support!

FWIW the i500 irons are not hollow but has a fair amount of hot melt.

Not true.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

There is some kinda goo in there. Each one I took the screw out of had goo. I believe it is for sw

I just picked mine up. It had a tiny amount of semi-sticky goo outside the weight screw. So ya, it's mostly hollow, but something gets put in... mine was ordered standard length, midsize grip, and D3. Probably needed a few grams.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.