Obee's Putting Improvement Thread

Obee

I played in our club's Ryder Cup-like weekend against a rival club this weekend, and putted like a dog. Only won the best ball round because the ball striking was good enough to win despite a sucky putter.

Singles match, giving away three shots, and enter the 17th AS. Give myself a 3 ft straight uphill putt to tie the hole with a good pitch, and shove it right. On the 18th, hit my best pressure shot of the weekend from 74 yds to a front shelf, 10 ft from the hole. Misread the putt and watch is curl away from the hole.

Really, really disappointing. A balky putter is just not fun.

Although obvious to you experts out there, had an interesting insight into total putts yesterday.

Had one of the best putting days I've had in some time and had one of the worst scores I've had in a few weeks. Total putts off the charts (a lot of one puts and two zeros because of two long par saves off the fringe), but zero fairways hit and zero GIR on back nine was the tale, including an OB and a hazard.

After the round just have focused on how well I putted and for now, forgetting the rest.

• Like 1

Yep, putting really is a "game within the game."

Even if you are striking the ball poorly, you can still putt well and minimize your score. Always.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Yep, putting really is a "game within the game."

Even if you are striking the ball poorly, you can still putt well and minimize your score. Always.

This! I've seen so many great ball strikers who discount putting, or even if they don't discount putting, internally they believe putting is not what golf is all about. These people will never get the best out of their golf game. Many threads on this board preach the minimizing of putting over the rest of your game, but at the end of the day, if you truly embrace this game within the game, you'll be a better golfer...

one of the best feelings in golf (for me) is making that par saving putt from 20+ feet after being in jail off the tee. especially devastating in match play. :)

i know, i know.

"be a better ball-striker and you wouldn't be in the trees to begin with."

my retort: even the best players in the world have to pitch out sideways from time to time.

anyway, on to some non-technical methods of how i improved my putting. just some ideas

- bounce the putter. gently tap the ground behind the ball, prior to starting your stroke. gives your mind awareness of *exactly* where the ground is. especially helpful if you've ever fatted a putt (i have).

- hover your putter. prior to starting your stroke, pull it up off the ground a smidge, a la rickie fowler. this engages your hands and forearms, and allows for a smooth takeaway. i adopted this method after going to a slightly heavier putter, and found myself snatching the putter away, or being surprised by the weight. really helps with tempo.

- use a metronome. my buddy recommended this to me, and i recently added it to the practice regimine. download an app and use headphones on the green. i've read that pros are anywhere from 72-80 bpm. i'm settling in at 74.

as always, YMMV.

• Like 2

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Things are still going nicely with the claw and the SS putter grip. Solid round of 1 under 71 on a very damp course (cart paths only). Missed 6 greens and saved par every time with putts of 4', 12, 3', 2', 5', and 4'. Made 2 birdies - 30' and 6'. Only bogey was a 3 putt on #8 when I left a 30' downhill slider 4' short and missed. Greens on first nine were slow and sandy after being aerated and top dressed last week. Greens on 2nd nine were perfect (smooth and much faster). Total of 76 feet of putts made and 29 putts total.

• Like 1

Things are still going nicely with the claw and the SS putter grip. Solid round of 1 under 71 on a very damp course (cart paths only). Missed 6 greens and saved par every time with putts of 4', 12, 3', 2', 5', and 4'. Made 2 birdies - 30' and 6'. Only bogey was a 3 putt on #8 when I left a 30' downhill slider 4' short and missed. Greens on first nine were slow and sandy after being aerated and top dressed last week. Greens on 2nd nine were perfect (smooth and much faster). Total of 76 feet of putts made and 29 putts total.

Bruce,

Isn't it also amazing how much less stressful the game of golf is when you KNOW (or at least certainly FEEL) you can make 99% of the 4-footers you look at? It's just amazing what that does to take "pressure" off your full wedge play and short game.

I used to feel like I had to hit every pitch shot to gimme range in order to save par. Now ... I don't EVER have that thought.

Now I feel even worse about my putting. Never been great, now am horrible. Even when I was a plus capper, I rarely had less than 30 putts. I have gone months at a time averaging 38-40 putts. (I am a 5 /6 handicap these days). I hit lots of greens in reg, have a few three putts every round and about half my birdies are two putts. My putting is even worse under pressure, but since my handicap is so high, I am not in any real competitions anymore. My goal is to average around 32 putts a round which would move me down to a 1 or 2 handicap if nothing else improves. So far I have found it a battle. I can go from horrible to mediocre from time to time. but it does not stick. I have tried almost anything you can think of. Righty, Lefty, Cross Hand, Claw, Counterweight, Long, Arm Lock.........

I am looking online at bowling balls now.

29 putts per round is attainable. you can do this.

There is hope! 2 over 74 today with 31 putts. lowest putt total of the summer, only 2 three putts! switched up everything. Went to counter weighted putter and a claw grip. Starting to see results. My issue has been yips in the 2 to 3 foot range. Today I only missed 1 one in that range and it was not a yip.

• Like 1

Now I feel even worse about my putting. Never been great, now am horrible. Even when I was a plus capper, I rarely had less than 30 putts. I have gone months at a time averaging 38-40 putts. (I am a 5 /6 handicap these days). I hit lots of greens in reg, have a few three putts every round and about half my birdies are two putts. My putting is even worse under pressure, but since my handicap is so high, I am not in any real competitions anymore. My goal is to average around 32 putts a round which would move me down to a 1 or 2 handicap if nothing else improves. So far I have found it a battle. I can go from horrible to mediocre from time to time. but it does not stick. I have tried almost anything you can think of. Righty, Lefty, Cross Hand, Claw, Counterweight, Long, Arm Lock.........

There is hope! 2 over 74 today with 31 putts. lowest putt total of the summer, only 2 three putts! switched up everything. Went to counter weighted putter and a claw grip. Starting to see results. My issue has been yips in the 2 to 3 foot range. Today I only missed 1 one in that range and it was not a yip.

This is great to hear!

Spreadsheet updated. I will be switching to a more detailed putting analysis spreadsheet soon.

28 putts today and a 72 T round at Lakeside GC in Burbank. First round of the Bob Hope Invitational.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for going with an extreme upright lie angle?

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for going with an extreme upright lie angle?

I find it easier when my hands are very high, to release the putter "down the line of putt," versus across it or wiping the ball from across the line.

Obee - could you check your inbox? It's saying you cannot receive any PM's and I was wanting to reach you via PM.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Obee - could you check your inbox? It's saying you cannot receive any PM's and I was wanting to reach you via PM.

Will do....

24 putts today and a nice 72 on a course I've never played: Steele Canyon.

1 under 71 with 28 putts today! Only one three putt (45 footer) and two missed one putts under 3 feet. Lowest putt total in a couple years. With my normal 34 putts it was a 77 all day long.

• Like 1

1 under 71 with 28 putts today! Only one three putt (45 footer) and two missed one putts under 3 feet. Lowest putt total in a couple years. With my normal 34 putts it was a 77 all day long.

It's amazing what the claw can do if you stick to it. And more weight in the hands helps also. What is your current index?

3 putted my way out of an event yesterday .... I was pleased even though i finished 5 shots out because i hit it well save for one water ball which was simply a misclub off the tee.. And i saved bogey on that one.. But i 3 putted 4 times ....and missed several very easy 5-6 foot birdie putts..( only made 1 bird) .. I realized this after analyzing the round last night and this morning... and now im a bit bummed. These were not hard greens.. They were actually slow. Very tight positional Gary Player course , so i guess i have to just take the positives ( again) and try to forget that the putter is still the glaring issue.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 putted my way out of an event yesterday .... I was pleased even though i finished 5 shots out because i hit it well save for one water ball which was simply a misclub off the tee.. And i saved bogey on that one.. But i 3 putted 4 times ....and missed several very easy 5-6 foot birdie putts..( only made 1 bird) .. I realized this after analyzing the round last night and this morning... and now im a bit bummed. These were not hard greens.. They were actually slow. Very tight positional Gary Player course , so i guess i have to just take the positives ( again) and try to forget that the putter is still the glaring issue.

Are you tracking your stats?

Yep. After that round I went back up to -3.8 strokes gained on the green. Which is horrid.

34 putts yesterday. Only things I made were 1 12 foot birdie ( which was moving when it hit the hole ) and 4 par saves around 4 feet. And those were after lag putts left short or blown way by. Speed is the issue. Amplified yesterday by the slow greens. But still. I build a shred of confidence on the greens and one day like that takes it all the way back down.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yep. After that round I went back up to -3.8 strokes gained on the green. Which is horrid.

34 putts yesterday. Only things I made were 1 12 foot birdie ( which was moving when it hit the hole ) and 4 par saves around 4 feet. And those were after lag putts left short or blown way by. Speed is the issue. Amplified yesterday by the slow greens. But still. I build a shred of confidence on the greens and one day like that takes it all the way back down.

BH,

Don't stress too much, and let what will happen, happen.

It can take a while to build up confidence in a skill. It's a lot like playing poker. You don't just go on a heater and make it to the final table of the WSOP. You start small, build your bankroll, and then go bust over and over and over again (typically every time you move up in "class"). Then you go back and build your roll again, and make it to a new level, hopefully every time.

Incremental improvement is the only lasting improvement, as a rule.

You can do it.

You have done it.

Now go and build it back up and do it again and do it a little better. Know that you will have more bad putting days, and each one is an opportunity to have it torn down and build it all back up better than ever.

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

BH,

Don't stress too much, and let what will happen, happen.

It can take a while to build up confidence in a skill. It's a lot like playing poker. You don't just go on a heater and make it to the final table of the WSOP. You start small, build your bankroll, and then go bust over and over and over again (typically every time you move up in "class"). Then you go back and build your roll again, and make it to a new level, hopefully every time.

Incremental improvement is the only lasting improvement, as a rule.

You can do it.

You have done it.

Now go and build it back up and do it again and do it a little better. Know that you will have more bad putting days, and each one is an opportunity to have it torn down and build it all back up better than ever.

I know that’s true in the back of my mind. And thanks for the encouragement Dan!

But I also have this nagging thought that I may not figure putting out until I’m too old to hit the ball. That will be the cruel joke. Suddenly he’s lights out with the putter. But it’s for pars. And shoots thecaame scores. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

34 putts is not a reason to panic. Truly. You need some perspective. 39 or 40 putts? Yes.

The greatest put her in the world have 34 putts some days.

You need to stop internalizing your bad putting rounds.

Also, make sure you are not counting putts from the fringe as putts. Ever. Guys who think they are worse putters than they are, like to consider those putts, but they are not, according to the PGA TOUR. And if we are going to use their stats, then we need to use the same methodology. Are you counting putts from 2 inches off the green as a putt or an up-and-down opportunity?

There is a reason to do it both ways, but you have to be consistent. Actually, keeping the stat both ways is probably the way to go. Would give you better information. But for most players I say count from the same way the tour does.

I don’t count those in my stat. But I do count them in my mind. That 34 is 37 in my mind. I had 3 on the fringe that were less than 12 ft from the pin. I 3 putted 2 of them counting the fringe putt. They were zoysia and sticky.

To me those are birdie looks. But I left each woefully short.

More I think the madder I am.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

First off, I would like to thank Obee for his contributions over the past month or so on several "putting" threads.

I too have changed to the same claw grip version that PM and Obee use (left fore finger down the left side of grip). Also, I installed a SS Pistol GT Tour counter weighted grip (50 gram) on by Bettinardi Studio Select 2 putter. These changes have made a significant improvement in my overall putting. While still 3 putting more often than I would like, I am holing many more short and medium length putts. Also, I am stroking my short putts (4 to 5 feet and in) with much better speed. I used to barely crawl the ball into the hole even on very short putts (18" and in). I feel a lot more confident over short putts even when I miss.

My last 3 rounds have included 17 birdies. 3 under 69 with 6 birds and 3 bogeys (1 3 putt on 1st hole). 1 under 70 with 6 birdies and 5 bogeys (4 under 31 on 1st 9 but 2 3 putts and a couple of missed short putts had me back to 1 over going to 17. Made 12' birdie on 17 and 6' birdie on 18 to get back to 1 under. Yesterday, opened with 3 straight birds 3', 4', and 15'. Some bad drives got me in trouble and along with 2 3 putts (1 from 6' on #9) wound up with 2 over 74 - 6 birdies and 7 bogeys.

One of my poor past habits was to make changes to set up and stroke pattern during a round - searching for something. I have stayed with the same routine, mental process and stroke pattern for the past 6 or 7 weeks since I made the changes.

Now if I can get my driver straightened out, I might start shooting some real low numbers. Iron play has been solid and get lots of looks inside 10'.

Bruce

Bruce,

If I'm not mistaken, you are/were a playing professional, correct? The fact that you are willing to open up and listen to a lifetime am like myself is really cool. Thank you for the kind words, my friend. I am so, so pleased you are putting better.

And, yes, the "stop tinkering all the damn time" thing really helps. "Commitment" and "Routine" are so key to good putting, and it's hard to have either of those when you are consistently changing putting stance, grip, etc. pretty much every round is a recipe for mediocre putting.

Hi David :) Like you and Bruce, I was guilty of intra-round “tinkering,” whether it be my swing or my stroke, and sometimes it worked but I would say more times than not it did not and only compounded whatever issues that I was having that round. The reason was not so much physical as it was that it took me out of my mental state that allowed me to approach the shot/putt with focus and confidence. It’s funny because my good friend and fellow(lady, haha) pro pointed out that when I played with Richard, who’s obstinance and bullheadedness was actually an asset on the course because if he didn’t have his “A” game or swing, he would only concentrate and focus on “getting it in the hole” and really become wedded to whatever swing/stroke that he had that day, she said that I did not “fiddle,” haha.

I would follow suit when playing with him because the only advice he would ever say to me was “trust yourself and just get it in the hole,” especially on the greens. He was so committed to his routine and stroke that it was sometimes maddening because I or others would see what we thought was a minor issue that a slight alteration between strokes would fix and he would nicely tell his buddies to “STFU” and with me, just smile and raise his hand palm facing me, as in “stop,” haha.

Also, that is great that you use the 4’ putts for your practice as this is the distance that Pete always would have his students use, and I do the same with mine. This is a very enjoyable thread :) take care David. M

• Like 2

I don’t count those in my stat. But I do count them in my mind. That 34 is 37 in my mind. I had 3 on the fringe that were less than 12 ft from the pin. I 3 putted 2 of them counting the fringe putt. They were zoysia and sticky.

Blade, in reading your posts in really wondering one thing. What do you use to measure the distance of your putts and proximity to pin? You are either a legendary ballstriker and really bad putter OR you underestimate distances at times. Seems like every round you write about you miss a half dozen, ok really just three or four at least, birdie putts inside five feet and in this most recent example you three putted three times from the fringe but inside 12 feet. Again, either really really bad putting and extremely tucked pins.

I have buddies that unknowingly exaggerate their poor putting by claiming they missed putts from four feet when really it was six to eight feet.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I dont count those in my stat. But I do count them in my mind. That 34 is 37 in my mind. I had 3 on the fringe that were less than 12 ft from the pin. I 3 putted 2 of them counting the fringe putt. They were zoysia and sticky.

Blade, in reading your posts in really wondering one thing. What do you use to measure the distance of your putts and proximity to pin? You are either a legendary ballstriker and really bad putter OR you underestimate distances at times. Seems like every round you write about you miss a half dozen, ok really just three or four at least, birdie putts inside five feet and in this most recent example you three putted three times from the fringe but inside 12 feet. Again, either really really bad putting and extremely tucked pins.

I have buddies that unknowingly exaggerate their poor putting by claiming they missed putts from four feet when really it was six to eight feet.

Yes, I can be a touchy subject for people, but most people who have a round of a lot of pets grossly under-estimate the length of putts they miss.

We're going to need video, BH!!! :-)

To add to your "4 footer speed" - I do the exact same but I add making them at three different speeds, slightly uphill and slightly downhill. I try to make one hit the back of the cup liner, I try get one to swish and not touch the liner at all until it hits the bottom, and then lastly I try to get the ball to almost stop on the edge and then trickle over the lip.

David Orr gave me this drill and I do it every time I warm up, three 4 footers, one at each speed. If you can get to the point where you can swish them and then get one to almost stop on the lip and topple in, you are more than good to go.

Yeppers, excellent add on Obes 4’ practice putts~

First, for any of you guys that want to improve your putting, use the 4’ mark instead of 3’, and as HS suggested, go around the hole, not just one particular spot.

I would putt hundreds of these in an evening and I did what we’ve always called the “clock” drill, where I putted from 12, 3, 6 & 9.

100 from each position though I did em in sets of 25.

If you are really serious, run 100 consecutive before calling it a session.

Regarding changin stuff mid-round, that’s crazy as even the best Pros in the world can’t do that consistently under pressure, and ams expect to do it??

You gents heard Bruce, who was one of those guys, say that he’s better when he doesn’t do that.

Just put the ball in the hole.

If you’re spraying the driver, put it away. Do not try to correct swing or putting flaws while Playing in a tourney or money game.

Putting’s not that simple as you gotta use the putter ya got in the bag.

DO NOT think about mechanics & the physical stroke!!!

Think and visualize putting that ball in the hole and see that path to the hole and just trust your body to perform the stroke necessary to achieve that outcome.

This obviously applies to those with solid strokes. If you suck and have no touch, feel or consistency, then it really doesn’t matter what ya do. In that case, just have fun.

Cheers?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

To add to your "4 footer speed" - I do the exact same but I add making them at three different speeds, slightly uphill and slightly downhill. I try to make one hit the back of the cup liner, I try get one to swish and not touch the liner at all until it hits the bottom, and then lastly I try to get the ball to almost stop on the edge and then trickle over the lip.

David Orr gave me this drill and I do it every time I warm up, three 4 footers, one at each speed. If you can get to the point where you can swish them and then get one to almost stop on the lip and topple in, you are more than good to go.

Yeppers, excellent add on Obes 4' practice putts~

First, for any of you guys that want to improve your putting, use the 4' mark instead of 3', and as HS suggested, go around the hole, not just one particular spot.

I would putt hundreds of these in an evening and I did what we've always called the "clock" drill, where I putted from 12, 3, 6 & 9.

100 from each position though I did em in sets of 25.

If you are really serious, run 100 consecutive before calling it a session.

Regarding changin stuff mid-round, that's crazy as even the best Pros in the world can't do that consistently under pressure, and ams expect to do it??

You gents heard Bruce, who was one of those guys, say that he's better when he doesn't do that.

Just put the ball in the hole.

If you're spraying the driver, put it away.

Putting's not that simple as you gotta use the putter ya got in the bag. DO NOT think about mechanics & the physical stroke!!!

Think and visualize putting that ball in the hole and see that path to the hole and just trust your body to perform the stroke necessary to achieve that outcome.

This obviously applies to those with solid strokes. If you suck and have no touch, feel or consistency, then it really doesn't matter what ya do. In that case, just have fun.

Cheers

RP

Richard, I know from reading your posts that you've played at a high level. Were you pro for a while or have you always been a AM?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black