I'm officially done with stiff shafts in the irons

wkuo3

Yesterday was a very sobering reminder for me to change over my golf equipment, forever.

Over the years after I hit the milestone of 60 of age, I still bag the irons sets I loved when I was much younger and played them to a certain level of success. Ben Hogan Apex with Apex 5 shaft and Callaway X-14 Pro Series with Rifle 6.0....

The Callaway X-14 PS was my Winter set because of the wider sole played better on the soft and wet turf.

Yesterday's round was a non eventful round, a few bogies and the other and a few pars and a couple of birdies. Company was great, met up with a golfer whom I haven't seen for years and one other whom I played several times with on that local track.

The back nine was a hilly track with rolling fairways and elevation change. I started to lose the supposed carrying distance with the irons. The Rifle 6.0 used to feel light in my hands than the TTDG, but they were getting heavier and heavier, so I swung harder and harder after realizing I was not getting the carrying distance I was used to.

Last hole in, I was tired from pushing the cart up the hill to the tee box, dump the tee shot rolling down a slope maybe 30' down the left embankment off the fairway. My playing partner said, take a mulligan ( we were talking when you hit the tee shot....) I said, that'll be a nice excuse but I'll play it where it lied.

Went down and muscled the ball with a grip down 5 wood out of the hillside rough. Ball came to rest approximately 167 to the pin. Fairway was still firm after the light rain from the night before, I pulled a 5 iron thinking even with this tired body the extra roll off the turf might be just right ( I used to carry this club 175 yards just a few years ago ).

The approach shot ended 7 yards short of the putting surface....... It hit me in the face after the round. I could hit a 6 iron for the same distance in Winter condition not too long ago. The experience of less distance with more club is.... sad. Especially one of the guys yelled, nice shot, you're on the green...... ended up that was a piece of fallen leaf on the green mistaken as my golf ball.

I'll gather a few sets of irons, clean them up and box them for storage. I had most of them since they were brand new.

I'll think it over before I decide what to do with these sets of irons. And have a drink or two to cross this line in my life.

If it makes you feel any better and I'm not quite 60 yet, but I've come to the conclusion that senior flex is where I'm at going forward...

I suffered a back injury last fall and as a result I've hardly played at all this year as I've tried to recover. I was never a long hitter and routinely played regular flex in my clubs, but it would appear that is rapidly becoming a bridge too far as my carry distances have dropped off about a club and a half even with the benefit of a set of modern SGI irons in hand. I too used to hit the 175 yard 5 iron, but that has become a 145 yard hybrid at this time with my 3/4 swing and 80 mph swing speed (or so the charts would indicate).

It is what it is. You play the forward tees and shorter courses that are at an enjoyable length to play and accept the fact that this what golf will be going forward. I don't want to be that guy that says if I can't play a a certain level, I'm not going to play anymore! I have lots of clubs that have become unplayable for me, especially those of the vintage variety. Just too stout a shaft and too unforgiving a design. Vintage clubs with senior flex shafts are a bit of a rare commodity, so those days maybe behind me. The way i see it, golf in any capacity is better than no golf at all!

:golfer:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Welcome to the club, I turned 64 this year and late last year I gave up my Callaway X-22 Tours w/Project X Rifle flighted shafts (~115gm) to a more somber Mizuno JPX900HP w/ProModus 105-Stiff that still seemed a 'bit stiff', lol (could not always load them). So I went for a fitting....what a disaster....the noted local 'Titleist Advanced Fitter' fit me to a set of graphite shafts (68-gm, Reg, soft tip) that all I could do is snap hook them (I have a somewhat flat swing plane). I knew I wouldn't like the soft-tip that are often used to 'launch' the ball higher. I argued with the fitter about the shafts; said I knew the ProModus 105-stiff were a bit stout for me, maybe I needed Reg or something in the 90-gm range, but he wore me out, after all he's the 'professional fitter' and I gave in (I'm ready to put those Rogue Pro with Recoil shafts on Ebay). I recently picked up a set of 716 Titleist's with XP90-Reg shafts off the 'bay ($350 new) and what a difference....long but straight, just a bit of my draw on them. You have to compare different sets if you want to see the differences they provide, whether demo'ing them or outright purchase....you indicate you have the same set since they were new. I've had 5 sets purchased (off the bay) in the past 3 years. I did the same with my driver....got a Callaway Optiforce 440 with PVx shaft in stiff....liked the feel, went straight, but not that far....so I got a Reg of the same shaft....ooh, much better (longer) and loaded it better….out of curiosity I got a 'senior' shaft (52-gm) version of the same shaft and gained another 10 yards....that's the keeper, but interesting to see the difference between the Stiff => Reg => Senior (I still switch out and play the Reg, but when I want a bit of distance, I'll go with the Senior shaft). I'm putting my drives where I used to put them (and further) then when I was 45 :-). Oh, one of the things that has helped me recently, is I started working out with weights to get some strength back (I used to be an avid weightlifter when I was younger, used bench 405-lbs max when I was 25-30, so I always used to keep toned later on), and I feel (almost) good enough to play my stiffer shafts, but I know that would only be temporary given I'm 64, but it makes the current irons feel that much lighter.Good luck

p.s. - my 'experiment' with graphite was interesting as it was fun for a while to be able to use 2-3 clubs less than I was used to (i.e., 125-yrd gap wedge instead of 8-/9-iron, lol), except I couldn't hit them straight (kept hooking). Perhaps I will keep them in mind with something with stiffer tips, but as long as there are lighter weight steel shafts that work for me, then for the near future I'm fine...

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I can relate because I have went through the same thing and a lot of mine is physical too. Sometimes you have to take steps mentally too. I can remember when I turned mid 50s or so I went reluctantly to the mid tees. This kid that was the head pro at the time suggested it. This kid and I went back a long way. I can remember when he was a part time cart boy and advanced into the Pro Shop. I helped him pass his PAT and get his card. He actually sat me down and told me to move up one tee. He was correct. A few years down the road I realized I could no longer swing those heavy UST Pro Force 65 Gold shafts in my woods. I switched over to R shafts. I ended up building those Macs in my signature and those #2 shafts are a "senior shaft" but the way I have them set up basically R flex. Now days I can still hit some of my vintage Macs with Pro Pel 2 shafts in them but my back hurts afterwards. Same with my 13 Callys with Rifle 5.5s in them. BTW one thing that may be misleading is the Homna driver in my signature--- it says it is stiff but the numbers check out at a R flex. I also moved up to the Gold tees when I turned 60 last year. On the vintage side of things I only swing my irons with R flex shafts which right now are my 54 Precisions, 55 Armour 925s or 53 Toski Macs. The fairways I select now are R shafts and since OSR gave me that HM 40 graphite Penna it is now frontline vintage bit I can use one of my other R shafted Pennas.

On the swing end of things I used to have a pronounced loop because I went back sometimes past parallel and laid it off but looped it on the way down to get it on plane. That was a natural move for me. The other day I was on the range and my buddy the Miura dealer was there with me. A guy I had not seen or played with for 12 years or so came up. He noticed I did not have my loop anymore. The Miura dealer said "he does not pull it back far enough to get it off plane now"

But it in all honestly took me a while to get over my ego and age gracefully. I do not play comps any more and maybe small money matches but do not practice hardly any. If you see me on the range 99% of the time I am messing with one of my many vintage set ups for the fun of it. I play what I want to now and score be dammed. Half the time playing with the NY crowd I do not know what I shot unless Checkers who likes to keep score tells me. But I am having more fun playing golf than I ever have because I do not take it seriously

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

If it makes you feel any better and I'm not quite 60 yet, but I've come to the conclusion that senior flex is where I'm at going forward...

I suffered a back injury last fall and as a result I've hardly played at all this year as I've tried to recover. I was never a long hitter and routinely played regular flex in my clubs, but it would appear that is rapidly becoming a bridge too far as my carry distances have dropped off about a club and a half even with the benefit of a set of modern SGI irons in hand. I too used to hit the 175 yard 5 iron, but that has become a 145 yard hybrid at this time with my 3/4 swing and 80 mph swing speed (or so the charts would indicate).

It is what it is. You play the forward tees and shorter courses that are at an enjoyable length to play and accept the fact that this what golf will be going forward. I don't want to be that guy that says if I can't play a a certain level, I'm not going to play anymore! I have lots of clubs that have become unplayable for me, especially those of the vintage variety. Just too stout a shaft and too unforgiving a design. Vintage clubs with senior flex shafts are a bit of a rare commodity, so those days maybe behind me. The way i see it, golf in any capacity is better than no golf at all!

Well build you a set of vintage irons with shafts you can hit--- I did--- Buzzkill who is one of our Mods built him a set ot Tour Model Titleist with a 95 gram or so steel shafts. My next project is finding another set of Hogan #2 shafts to go into my 57 Mac Diamondbacks or I may drill and bore them out to put a set of FST 90s I have in them. I am also leaning towards maybe a Apollo softer shaft. Hey build them where you can hit and enjoy them

I'm running into this myself now, but a stage earlier in the path from y'all. I've been playing Xstiff in both irons and woods, and realizing now I probably should be dropping back to stiff in the irons. The woods, I've found I can still use Xstiff, but am able to play Dynamic S in the persimmons; that was a no go about 5 years ago, couldn't keep that on the course. I guess my X driver usage will also be going away in a couple years.

I'm fortunate that I don't have major physical limitations governing me, other than a slight meniscus tear in the left knee and an occasional sore back. Yet. (crossing fingers) FWIW, I'm a few weeks shy of 55. Was warned this might be a tipping point in my distance, quite a few years ago.

Playing tomorrow at the course here in MN that hosted the Sr PGA guys, before they built the TPC Twin Cities complex some years ago (Bunker Hills, for anyone interested). It can be played over 6900 yds, for those who care to do so. I don't think I'll be doing that. LOL

As they say, the undisputed, undefeated, champion is still Father Time....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have never had much distance to begin with and have always had a fairly slow swing, but do not regret in the least the move to A flex graphite shafts. The repeatability is what I am enjoying now. And moving up to the forward tees also helps with the enjoyment factor. But, I can relate and think that there is a bit of a grieving process involved. I can imagine only more so if you are an accomplished player. Good luck with your decision.

I knew ;long time ago that I'll never be playing this game at the top level, according to my instructor and personal experience.

I still played for more than 4 decades.

It is time for reckoning which came quickly this year.

I wish your back will recover fully to enjoy this game at any level,

I am only fifty and my next set of irons will be softer than PX 5.5. Short irons fine but no longer getting the correct flight with 4-5-6. Also hard to work the ball with. I regularly play with a 75 year old who uses Pro Launch Red stiff in his driver and a Rogue 70g stiff in his 3 wood. He cannot hit either but will not consider a softer shaft as he is a "good" player. Good players don't skank their woods 180 into the trees on a regular basis.

Welcome to the club, I turned 64 this year and late last year I gave up my Callaway X-22 Tours w/Project X Rifle flighted shafts (~115gm) to a more somber Mizuno JPX900HP w/ProModus 105-Stiff that still seemed a 'bit stiff', lol (could not always load them). So I went for a fitting....what a disaster....the noted local 'Titleist Advanced Fitter' fit me to a set of graphite shafts (68-gm, Reg, soft tip) that all I could do is snap hook them (I have a somewhat flat swing plane). I knew I wouldn't like the soft-tip that are often used to 'launch' the ball higher. I argued with the fitter about the shafts; said I knew the ProModus 105-stiff were a bit stout for me, maybe I needed Reg or something in the 90-gm range, but he wore me out, after all he's the 'professional fitter' and I gave in (I'm ready to put those Rogue Pro with Recoil shafts on Ebay). I recently picked up a set of 716 Titleist's with XP90-Reg shafts off the 'bay ($350 new) and what a difference....long but straight, just a bit of my draw on them. You have to compare different sets if you want to see the differences they provide, whether demo'ing them or outright purchase....you indicate you have the same set since they were new. I've had 5 sets purchased (off the bay) in the past 3 years. I did the same with my driver....got a Callaway Optiforce 440 with PVx shaft in stiff....liked the feel, went straight, but not that far....so I got a Reg of the same shaft....ooh, much better (longer) and loaded it better….out of curiosity I got a 'senior' shaft (52-gm) version of the same shaft and gained another 10 yards....that's the keeper, but interesting to see the difference between the Stiff => Reg => Senior (I still switch out and play the Reg, but when I want a bit of distance, I'll go with the Senior shaft). I'm putting my drives where I used to put them (and further) then when I was 45 :-). Oh, one of the things that has helped me recently, is I started working out with weights to get some strength back (I used to be an avid weightlifter when I was younger, used bench 405-lbs max when I was 25-30, so I always used to keep toned later on), and I feel (almost) good enough to play my stiffer shafts, but I know that would only be temporary given I'm 64, but it makes the current irons feel that much lighter.Good luck

p.s. - my 'experiment' with graphite was interesting as it was fun for a while to be able to use 2-3 clubs less than I was used to (i.e., 125-yrd gap wedge instead of 8-/9-iron, lol), except I couldn't hit them straight (kept hooking). Perhaps I will keep them in mind with something with stiffer tips, but as long as there are lighter weight steel shafts that work for me, then for the near future I'm fine...

You're still in the gap area where a light weight steel in S flex could be bagged.

I went through that period and into the light of realizing I'm completely our of the "used to be " category. I don;t think diet and exercise would bring that time back.

I'll explore into the lighter more flexible shaft for my irons. Still hit the long clubs well with stiff flex. Graphite ? I don't know.

I have never had much distance to begin with and have always had a fairly slow swing, but do not regret in the least the move to A flex graphite shafts. The repeatability is what I am enjoying now. And moving up to the forward tees also helps with the enjoyment factor. But, I can relate and think that there is a bit of a grieving process involved. I can imagine only more so if you are an accomplished player. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, more experiment to come. At least that will keep me busy through the Winter months.... did I say Winter ?

I am only fifty and my next set of irons will be softer than PX 5.5. Short irons fine but no longer getting the correct flight with 4-5-6. Also hard to work the ball with. I regularly play with a 75 year old who uses Pro Launch Red stiff in his driver and a Rogue 70g stiff in his 3 wood. He cannot hit either but will not consider a softer shaft as he is a "good" player. Good players don't skank their woods 180 into the trees on a regular basis.

Yap, the long irons are the first ones to indicate the lost of swing speed.

Fortunately, I'm able to accept the fact that I'll play better golf with the proper shaft for the age.

Speaking of grieving process....

Well, it's not quite grieving, but there's certainly longing in there, LOL. I don't like to mention real distances, but I will. I apologise for the boasting inherently involved...

I used to hit my 5i, which was 27* at the time, some 205-210 yards. I discovered this by accident, by switching away from my higher spinning Maxfli balls to a ball with less spin on full shots, and got an immediate spike in distance of a full club or more. About ten years ago, I started hitting my Golden Rams, with 30* 5i, similar distances, though that didn't last. I actually started looking at trying Project X 7.0 shafts, because I was hooking my other stuff. When I lost that boost, I quit thinking about the absurd shafts. ;)

I credit a lot of this to having been a baseball and softball player, a soccer player, a fair bit of weight lifting, etc. And im not a small dude, though i have a bit of the human t-rex in me; im about 6 ft tall and 245 lbs.

I now hit my 28* Golden Ram 4i with Dynamic S about 187 yards.

I realize this is very much a First World Problem, I'm not complaining. Well, not too much, anyway, LOL. I've been what i consider mildly long, but I've encountered a *lot* of guys over the years who are longer than me. This blathering I'm doing is really more about no matter where you are on the distance spectrum, you will decline, and we will all eventually wind up in the same boat.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated

Edited because my tablet is not behaving

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The Germans have a phrase that is applicable for most everything in life, and this fits right in:

We are too soon old, and too late smart.

As long as I can beat the ball around, it doesn't matter what shaft I have.

When I started as a caddy, barely into my teens, I didn't know or care what shaft I used...I simply enjoyed playing.

I'm reverting to my youth - playing for the love of the game, and making shots with what I have in my hand. Isn't that what golf is all about anyway?

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed by us - looks like this is gonna be a really tough storm, and I am not bugging out.

Probably won't have power for a while after this thing hits, so....keep me in thoughts and prayers, along with anyone else in this monster's path.

Speaking of grieving process....

Well, it's not quite grieving, but there's certainly longing in there, LOL. I don't like to mention real distances, but I will. I apologise for the boasting inherently involved...

I used to hit my 5i, which was 27* at the time, some 205-210 yards. I discovered this by accident, by switching away from my higher spinning Maxfli balls to a ball with less spin on full shots, and got an immediate spike in distance of a full club or more. About ten years ago, I started hitting my Golden Rams, with 30* 5i, similar distances, though that didn't last. I actually started looking at trying Project X 7.0 shafts, because I was hooking my other stuff. When I lost that boost, I quit thinking about the absurd shafts. ;)

I credit a lot of this to having been a baseball and softball player, a soccer player, a fair bit of weight lifting, etc. And im not a small dude, though i have a bit of the human t-rex in me; im about 6 ft tall and 245 lbs.

I now hit my 28* Golden Ram 4i with Dynamic S about 187 yards.

I realize this is very much a First World Problem, I'm not complaining. Well, not too much, anyway, LOL. I've been what i consider mildly long, but I've encountered a *lot* of guys over the years who are longer than me. This blathering I'm doing is really more about no matter where you are on the distance spectrum, you will decline, and we will all eventually wind up in the same boat.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated

Edited because my tablet is not behaving

I hit my Mac VIP 4 iron with the same loft as your Ram 4 iron about the same distance now of course with the #2 Apex shaft

The Germans have a phrase that is applicable for most everything in life, and this fits right in:

When I started as a caddy, barely into my teens, I didn't know or care what shaft I used...I simply enjoyed playing.

I'm reverting to my youth - playing for the love of the game, and making shots with what I have in my hand. Isn't that what golf is all about anyway?

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed by us - looks like this is gonna be a really tough storm, and I am not bugging out.

Probably won't have power for a while after this thing hits, so....keep me in thoughts and prayers, along with anyone else in this monster's path.

Well stated exactly my sentiments--- And yeah we are riding it out---- When it hits we will be blasting the REO Speedwagon song "Riding The Storm Out"--- They are showing the Evac on 501 out of Dirty Myrtle right now on the WC already a cluster fluke now

Well stated exactly my sentiments--- And yeah we are riding it out---- When it hits we will be blasting the REO Speedwagon song "Riding The Storm Out"--- They are showing the Evac on 501 out of Dirty Myrtle right now on the WC already a cluster fluke now

Ive always liked "Charlie Foxfrot" myself. LOL

Here's to you and yours staying safe, Brother Stu

As well as all our Carolina brothers and sisters...

Yap, the long irons are the first ones to indicate the lost of swing speed.

Fortunately, I'm able to accept the fact that I'll play better golf with the proper shaft for the age.

Think weight, not flex.

I think you and I may have a similar problem. We're out of shape.

I carry my 5 iron right around where you should(?) be. A little over 170. I use DGS300. Nobody would fit me for them if they weren't using a launch monitor. I swing the driver around 93. I use them because LM testing told me they were about 2-3 shorter than light weight shafts but the dispersion was considerably tighter.

I might get along better with R300s OR lighter weight shafts and/or I might no be so tired playing 14-18 because I ride instead of walking. Can't be totally sure.

But it sounds like you may simply be tiring too quickly, not necessarily that the irons are too heavy - how do they feel early in the round ? And you admit that was playing a very hilly back 9,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Apparently you're message box is full. LOL

Get out of town if you can. If not, try to prepare well and stay as safe as you can.

You're going to get hit !!!

Be safe

Titleist Pro V1X

Get out of town if you can. If not, try to prepare well and stay as safe as you can.

Be safe

Not sure if you are referencing Stu or me about the message box being full. I know mine isn't (people don't like me, so I don't get messages....)

Can't speak for Stu.

Problem with getting out of town is trying to get back into town once the storm has passed. Sometimes it could be weeks, while if you ride it out (and survive) you're right there, ready to jump in and start cleaning up the mess!

Ive always liked "Charlie Foxfrot" myself. LOL

Here's to you and yours staying safe, Brother Stu

As well as all our Carolina brothers and sisters...

We did not use Charlie Foxtrot a lot in the Navy but our SOP word was SNAFU

Be safe

Not sure if you are referencing Stu or me about the message box being full. I know mine isn't (people don't like me, so I don't get messages....)

Can't speak for Stu.

Problem with getting out of town is trying to get back into town once the storm has passed. Sometimes it could be weeks, while if you ride it out (and survive) you're right there, ready to jump in and start cleaning up the mess!

How do you dump the message box??? Instructions please seriously-- You guys know I am a computer klutz

Be safe

Can't speak for Stu.

It was Stu who's message box is full. Hadn't noticed your town.

Problem with being right there though is, as you allude to yourself, just being there after it's passed.

And it's sounding like this may be another Harvey(?), that devastating storm to the Houston area last year that hung around for days !!!

Be careful and be safe. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst.

Titleist Pro V1X

How do you dump the message box??? Instructions please seriously-- You guys know I am a computer klutz

View all messages.

See those blank boxes to the right of each message ?

Click in each box for the messages you want to delete. For ALL of them on the ONE page, click the box above and to the right of the messages. Clicking that box should check off every message on the ONE page.

Whichever you do, then go to the bottom and in the drop down, select "Delete" (if it isn't there already) and then click "Go"

Titleist Pro V1X

Stu, Augie, OSR and anyone else not mentioned that will be facing Florence the next few days. All the best. Stay safe (as possible). Make smart decisions. We'll be thinking of y'all, praying for good outcomes.

As for shaft stiffness. Play what I got. Sometimes stiff (classic), other times regular. Can't say that it makes that much difference to me. All things being equal, regular is more suitable and typically what I try and play. And have played R for years, didn't see a purpose in going stiffer than that. No one gives me any style points because I'm playing a certain flex. Play whatever feels comfortable, that one can wield affectively, allowing one to continue playing at golf.

Have become more sensitive to shaft weight these days. And by extension, overall club heft. Easier for me to swing an iron with LW stiff shaft versus a HW in regular (i.e. Nippon 950's v. TTDG R300). Less fatiguing in the later stages of a round. Haven't had the need to experiment with ULW graphites yet, but I suppose that day of reckoning is on the horizon. Perhaps.

But I'm forced to play all varieties these days by virtue of dabbling in classic clubs. Some stiffs do not feel as stiff as other stiffs. In a Apex 4 doesn't feel like a Pro-Pel 1 sort of way. But I'm not a very good golfer, doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Thankfully a choice made easier by not being afflicted with any maladies that impact the decision.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

View all messages.

See those blank boxes to the right of each message ?

Click in each box for the messages you want to delete. For ALL of them on the ONE page, click the box above and to the right of the messages. Clicking that box should check off every message on the ONE page.

Whichever you do, then go to the bottom and in the drop down, select "Delete" (if it isn't there already) and then click "Go"

Thanks just did it except for 2 I am currently having conversations in--- So easy even a computer klutz can do it with proper instruction. Now I am only 2% full

Be safe

Can't speak for Stu.

Therein lies the dilemma as one contemplates what to do. Stay or leave. Been thinking about this today, as I've been reading about this storm, what a number of you may potentially be facing. A decision that I've never had to make, an experience that I've never gone through.

Obviously, if one is close enough to the coast with the possibility of a 10' "wall of water" storm surge a high probability, the only rational move is to leave. But far enough inland, is the tricky part. How storm worthy is the structure I'm going to be riding it out in? Do I have all the necessary preparations in order? Would likely send the fam inland, far out of harm's way. But think I would have a very difficult time leaving my home. Not knowing when I could return. And to what. IDK. A very tough decision to make.

Hoping you guys make the right one.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Stu, Augie, OSR and anyone else not mentioned that will be facing Florence the next few days. All the best. Stay safe (as possible). Make smart decisions. We'll be thinking of y'all, praying for good outcomes.

As for shaft stiffness. Play what I got. Sometimes stiff (classic), other times regular. Can't say that it makes that much difference to me. All things being equal, regular is more suitable and typically what I try and play. And have played R for years, didn't see a purpose in going stiffer than that. No one gives me any style points because I'm playing a certain flex. Play whatever feels comfortable, that one can wield affectively, allowing one to continue playing at golf.

Have become more sensitive to shaft weight these days. And by extension, overall club heft. Easier for me to swing an iron with LW stiff shaft versus a HW in regular (i.e. Nippon 950's v. TTDG R300). Less fatiguing in the later stages of a round. Haven't had the need to experiment with ULW graphites yet, but I suppose that day of reckoning is on the horizon. Perhaps.

But I'm forced to play all varieties these days by virtue of dabbling in classic clubs. Some stiffs do not feel as stiff as other stiffs. In a Apex 4 doesn't feel like a Pro-Pel 1 sort of way. But I'm not a very good golfer, doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Thankfully a choice made easier by not being afflicted with any maladies that impact the decision.

Well different shafts swing different ways especially with classic clubs--- Never go by a shaft band--- I have bins full of them I can fix you up with any flex you want especially if it is Harrison LOL--- Good example I found a Mac Cloverleaf 3 wood on the pile one day. The shaft band states it is a X-1000 TT gold--- I can hit iit like you would not believe. No way it is an X-1000 or I absolutely could not hit it. Now I have a blonde Penna that has the same marked shaft and yes it is an X-1000 and I can not get it through--- I have messed with enough Macgregor clubs over the years I can tell by sight with no bands if it is a Pro Pel or not. Any old Apex shaft has a softer tip section from the last step down to the tip than any Pro Pel except an Apex 5 which is rebar from butt to tip. Any of the old Pro Pel shafts if you take one out and compare to a modern DG you will see the old Propel has a thicker wall section.Apex shafts even the older ones have a thinner wall thickness than any of the Pro Pels or Brunswick shafts. Mr Hogan was way ahead of his time when he designed those. Same on some of the newer graphite shafts. The old Pro Force 65 Golds marked "Tip Stiff" had real thick walls compared to regular Pro Force Golds and later on the V-2 had real thick walls.

Back in the day I used to scrape the shaft bands off my clubs did not want anyone knowing what I was hitting which in those days was a X-1000 later on Brunswick 7.5. One time I found a set of Spalding ladies shaft bands and put them on my set of Citation blades screwing with people. Had them thinking I was playing Ladies shafts. I did leave the Apex #2 bands on the MacHogans though. Talk about shaft band vanity there were some guys selling TT Dynamic Gold "Tour Issue" bootleg shaft bands here a few years ago. I did call TT on that one and they along with the Federal Trade Commission were fully aware of it. In fact the guy at TT I talked to said "in your area too? Yeah it is all up and down the East Coast" Those were the same guys counterfeiting Scotty Putters and Titleist hats up in NC. The feds busted them and I mean hard. I can remember some of those guys came by our shop trying to sell Scotty Counterfeit putters. We were a Titleist dealer and they were selling them cheaper than we could buy them as a dealer. One of the dead giveaways was that the ones he showed us had Apollo shafts and the Futura had fake screws in them. We passed. What was funny one of our customers in our shop at this time is a State Police officer ( Not SHP) and works stuff like that plus he is an avid golfer. He looked and got the tag number when they left. He informed us the next day that the Feds were on to them and they were fixing to pounce. A few weeks later he came by and got the reports in the NC paper from where the Feds busted them

In my late 60's and have those days when certain shafts feel heavy. Reason I recently went from 129gram PX flighted 6.0 shaft in my 2 iron to 115gram standard PX 5.5. Changing weight in that iron not flex helps me to maintain distance.

It's a funny subject that I seldom bring up amongst friends. They forget we're getting older and losing muscle. I have a been a gym rat most of my adult life and reminded every visit muscle atrophy is a constant fight.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I've had sort of that argument with various golf instructors, and either they're not seeing my point or I'm not seeing theirs. I've often said, that if I found 75-gram driver shaft to be too stiff, I can play stiff with 65 or 60-gm shafts that are more playable. Then they'd say well they're still rated 'Stiff', and I would say maybe so, but less weight = less wall thickness (not always) = less 'stiff' and they'd go back to they should both be rated the came cpm and then I'd say a 55-gm stiff does not play like a 65-gm stiff which in turn does not play like a 75-gm stiff and we would be no where.

In my late 60's and have those days when certain shafts feel heavy. Reason I recently went from 129gram PX flighted 6.0 shaft in my 2 iron to 115gram standard PX 5.5. Changing weight in that iron not flex helps me to maintain distance.

It's a funny subject that I seldom bring up amongst friends. They forget we're getting older and losing muscle. I have a been a gym rat most of my adult life and reminded every visit muscle atrophy is a constant fight.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter