2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Question for guys with golfing wife/GF

KSP

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm another one who doesn't understand the results. My wife loves to play just like I do. We go to the club together every Saturday and Sunday, although we probably play in the same group only once or twice a month. When we do play together, we always play a match, I give her 4 strokes a side, and we break pretty much even in the long run. She goes out for Tuesday evening ladies 9, I go out Tuesday evenings. We own a condo in Pinehurst, and we play basically every day we're there. We often make golf a central part of our vacations, including relatively recent trips to Scotland, Ireland, Palm Springs, and Kohler. She encourages me when I get the chance to take golf trips with my golfing buddies. I can't imagine I'd play nearly this much golf if she wasn't as avid about the game.

Maybe that's the difference. I know other wives who play some, but some of them generally want to play with their husband, and don't want to play as often. I enjoy playing golf with my wife, but I also like to play with a bunch of guys. If a golfing-wife actually restricts those chances for the husband to play with his buddies, that could lead to dissatisfaction.

I don’t think that a lot of guys really like their wives enough to want to spend a big chunk of their spare time with them.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I've played with my wife a few times and it was a lot of fun.

My guess is because golf happens to also be a way to spend time with friends. Everyone needs some personal time even if you like your spouse. I'd happily play golf with my wife, but would probably want to do other things without her. Maybe flag football or something

I don't think it's healthy to be together 24/7 and for many golf is an outlet

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My wife plays as well. I enjoy getting to spend time with her on the course when we can. We both live busy lives with both of us working. She is a school teacher and a High School Volleyball coach, so we don't get to spend just a ton of quality time together off work.... we also have a 2 year old. So with that being said we try to play together about once a month. The other times I go out and play, its with the guys.

One small detail is she can get frustrated out on the course if its a bad round.... Those days aren't the funnest, but for the most part I enjoy it.

The first rule of Fight Club, never get your wife in your extra curricular activities, lol....My wife doesn’t golf and I love her more for it. That’s my time to relax and to spend time with my friends, and she gets it. We do many things together, so it is a good deal.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

My wife doesn't play.

I think it would be very different having her along. There's a good chance I would play smarter and be more realistic about my game. Might not be the worst thing.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I love it. My wife loves it as well. We also play with our friends separately.

I never understand guys who treat golf or anything else like their little boys treehouse club. My wife and I clearly communicate when we want to do things together and when we dont and there are no issues either way when we are together or separate.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I never understand guys who treat golf or anything else like their little boys treehouse club. My wife and I clearly communicate when we want to do things together and when we dont and there are no issues either way when we are together or separate.

I think if the wife insists on playing with the husband every time she plays, that could cause friction. Like you, we each have times when we'll choose to play with a specific group, and the other finds their own game. We do try to coordinate times, so we can drive out and back together.

I've certainly seen plenty of guys who want act act like buffoons on the golf course, drinking, swearing, hitting on the bev cart girl. For them, having their wife with them would certainly diminish their "fun". I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for those guys.

My wife took up golf last spring when I got back into the game myself. I'd say I play 8 out of 10 of my rounds with her and we have a lot of fun with it.

Initially... there was a learning curve, She used me as a caddie/coach and always asked me questions, but sometimes she would "T-Rex" me when she hit a bad shot and I offered a critique of something. So we found a level of interaction that works and it's been good since then.

I offer this , because I think being happy playing golf with a spouse or GF is about what you see your time on the course as. For some men I think it's an escape, and me time, a time with drinking buddies etc... and even though they could, they chose not to spend that time with a GF or spouse.

I love my wife and enjoy any time I spend with her, so being able to golf together is icing on the cake for me.

My wife is my best friend, and we've been through a ton together. We met in the Army and now work in the same office. Our office mates golf too and we're known as the team to beat because she is VERY good. Only been playing three years and she floors guys when she plays and tells them how new she is to the game. But she's always been "one of the guys" in her life so I'm completely ok with it. Like others we schedule vacations around golf and I never have to ask if she wants to play, she's obsessed like I am.

Just got lucky I guess, got a playing partner for life. I don't judge others who need to be away or want more time, it all depends on your own comfort level. It's a game, and supposed to be enjoyed.

My ex girlfriend was really passionate about golf but absolutely terrible at it. I made the mistake of playing a round of golf with her and she almost murdered me with a couple of shanks and mis-hits. The round lasted forever because it would take her 5 shots just to reach a par 4. I told myself that was the last time i would play golf with her. We broke up later on (for other reasons) and it definitely worked out for the best lol.

I would be open to playing golf with a future girlfriend, but she would have to at least be competent (not shanking it every other time) for me to play with her.

I'm another one who doesn't understand the results. My wife loves to play just like I do. We go to the club together every Saturday and Sunday, although we probably play in the same group only once or twice a month. When we do play together, we always play a match, I give her 4 strokes a side, and we break pretty much even in the long run. She goes out for Tuesday evening ladies 9, I go out Tuesday evenings. We own a condo in Pinehurst, and we play basically every day we're there. We often make golf a central part of our vacations, including relatively recent trips to Scotland, Ireland, Palm Springs, and Kohler. She encourages me when I get the chance to take golf trips with my golfing buddies. I can't imagine I'd play nearly this much golf if she wasn't as avid about the game.

Maybe that's the difference. I know other wives who play some, but some of them generally want to play with their husband, and don't want to play as often. I enjoy playing golf with my wife, but I also like to play with a bunch of guys. If a golfing-wife actually restricts those chances for the husband to play with his buddies, that could lead to dissatisfaction.

Gotta pic of her Sis? Asking for a friend.

Id think it is more that some people like to destress on the course, and it serves as an escape from the spouse so if the spouse goes she is encroaching on the mens group and yada yada...

My girlfriend plays professionally, and I enjoy playing and practicing with her. It is nice to be able to just go play and not have to worry about strokes (on the course anyways...). We have taken trips before just for golf, and we typically always bring the clubs just incase we can sneak a round in somewhere. We just like golf

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

DO NOT golf with the wife/GF/etc. Golf is ME time. I do tons of other random things with the ball and chain, leave me and my golf alone.

Gotta pic of her Sis? Asking for a friend.

Sorry, no sisters, just one brother. And he doesn't play golf.

DO NOT golf with the wife/GF/etc. Golf is ME time. I do tons of other random things with the ball and chain, leave me and my golf alone.

From my Scottish friends, rhyming slang would label her the "toil and strife"

I get a LOT more golf in because SWMBO is a golfer. She's in 2 ladies leagues, so I can get wile she's golfing and we're in two couples leagues. We play together at least once/week and we play separately about 3 more times/week.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Oddly enough, I started golfing again after a hiatus of 15 years because my wife suggested that it might be something we could do together. She rather underestimated the difficulty of the game, though, and we have a better time when we play in a foursome with another couple. When it's just me she sometimes can get a little . . . dark. Like Cthulhu entering the mortal plane dark.

Sounds like me. We joined a club bc my wife wanted to play more. I still get out 3-4x a week and she plays maybe 2-3x a month. Our vacations are mostly golf trips like yours - or fishing trips because she loves to fish too. But she doesnt want to go *every* time I play and she encouraged me to go to Scotland with my friends. This poll made no sense to me.

The guys they questioned in the survey could be having marital problems.

Actually *now* the poll makes sense to me.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I think if the wife insists on playing with the husband every time she plays, that could cause friction. Like you, we each have times when we'll choose to play with a specific group, and the other finds their own game. We do try to coordinate times, so we can drive out and back together.

I've certainly seen plenty of guys who want act act like buffoons on the golf course, drinking, swearing, hitting on the bev cart girl. For them, having their wife with them would certainly diminish their "fun". I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for those guys.

My God! Can you imagine someone drinking or swearing on a golf course! Oh the humanity!

I enjoy playing with my wife, and I have been trying to get her out to play more. She hurt her back a couple months ago, so she likely won't be getting out to play until next season at the earliest.

That said, there is one tiny downside to playing golf with her. Whenever I've played with her I've noticed I don't shoot as well. And I think it's because I am not as focused on my own game, and spend a lot of energy making sure she's enjoying herself. Which is a me problem, not hers. She gets a little stressed if she feels like she's holding everyone up, and in turn I try to assure her not to worry about it, etc.

I think she'd be less stressed if she starts playing golf on a more regular basis, and gets used to the ebbs and flows of a round. I'm hoping she'll join the women's league at our club next year.

But I also get the whole wanting to get away from the wife and play golf with your buddies. I love getting together with the guys, playing competitively for a few bucks, and having a beer/cigar after the round. There has to be a balance.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)