Chasing the elusive eagle...

cmdrkean

Every eagle I've had came on Par 4s. Longest was from 150 yds out. Shortest was a putt of 15 feet. Have a total of 5 over 40 plus years and none in the last 20 years. Easy come and easy go.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing with an older member of my club and he was listing all the holes he had and eagle on and I think he had like five but none on the par 5 18th where I got mine at. Very impressed with his record in any respect.

I know a guy, scratch golfer, who is about my age. Mid-late 50’s. He has played his home town country club course since he first took up the game in his early 20’s and has eagled 17 of the 18 holes. Plus he has double-eagled all the Par 5’s. But that’s over the course of maybe five or six thousand rounds and he’s one of the best ball strikers I’ve ever played with.

Haven't thought, nor care as it would come on a lucky shot (i.e. HIO, or drop the approach) as I joke the hole just happened to be where my ball went.

On a par 5 it would have to be one that really is too short to be a legitimate par 5 (i.e. 475 and downwind).

Since odds of me being "on in two" is so low I probably have been putting for an Eagle under 5 times in my life and now at 55 I don't expect to be reaching par 5's in regulation.

Haven't thought, nor care as it would come on a lucky shot (i.e. HIO, or drop the approach) as I joke the hole just happened to be where my ball went.

On a par 5 it would have to be one that really is too short to be a legitimate par 5 (i.e. 475 and downwind).

Since odds of me being "on in two" is so low I probably have been putting for an Eagle under 5 times in my life and now at 55 I don't expect to be reaching par 5's in regulation.

If I don’t count using a putter from the fringe or from the fairway short of the green I have been “on in two” a total of five times in my life.

First time was a three-putt Par. Dammit. Had to put from one edge of the green, up and over a ridge to the other edge.

Second time was a Birdie.

Third time I finally made an Eagle. Downhill 10-footer. Woo-hoo!!

Fourth time, I kid you not, same green and same 80-foot putt as my first time. Same three-putt Par.

Fifth time was another two-putt Birdie.

So if the cycle continues I am due to reach another Par 5 and make my Eagle putt, some time in 2024 or thereabouts..

My best friend has been golfing at least 5 more years than I have, he's much better than I am, but I randomly got an Eagle one day and he's still searching. Honestly it took a huge weight off my shoulders, but I kinda wish he got it rather than me. I just played the hole insanely aggressive, it was a sharp dogleg left Par 5. The tee shot was uphill and the approach is right back down. There's a big risk-reward because going up and around the dogleg it's over 500 yards, but playing a bold drive and taking on some bunkers and trees, the hole gets to about 480. I hit about a 290 yard drive (I don't know how but I'll take it), had a shot to the green about 190 but all downhill, so it was playing like 170-175 so I hit a 6 iron. A ranger was right next to the green when I hit and told me if I had a centimeter to the left I would've had an albatross. I had about 5 feet for Eagle and sunk it. This was in my second year of golfing, so I never really thought an Eagle was possible. When I told my buddy he asked where I found a 200 yard par 5. As much as I liked that Eagle I still feel guilty, just had to get that off my chest sorry for the short essay.

If I don’t count using a putter from the fringe or from the fairway short of the green I have been “on in two†a total of five times in my life.

First time was a three-putt Par. Dammit. Had to put from one edge of the green, up and over a ridge to the other edge.

Second time was a Birdie.

Third time I finally made an Eagle. Downhill 10-footer. Woo-hoo!!

Fourth time, I kid you not, same green and same 80-foot putt as my first time. Same three-putt Par.

Fifth time was another two-putt Birdie.

So if the cycle continues I am due to reach another Par 5 and make my Eagle putt, some time in 2024 or thereabouts..

If I'm on in two for a par 5 you can bet my next eagle putt is never ever going to be short. Eagles are rewarded like nearest to pin and good for twenty or thirty bucks. Nobody remembers birdies or pars so give it every chance to go in I say.

We don't play eagles as junk bets but in our points game (one for bogey, two for par, three for birdie) we do count them as six points. So yeah, the guys who can get on in two are definitely taking a run at those 30-footers to try and grab the bonus points.

It is a dream of mine to make a 6-point eagle while playing with that group at least once before I die. Either that or a hole-in-one which, in our group, wins the entire pot for the team no matter what the points end up.

ive been inches close a few times...

then i sank a 30+ foot putt on a par 5 for my first one, about maybe 3 months after starting back into the game. it was THE primary factor for several months, of practicing and playing more... and eventually my cap dropped from around a 25 at the time of the first eagle (mostly luck I think it has to be said), and now I play off 13.7, and had a 100 yard hole out on a short par 4 a couple weeks ago...

it was luck, but also a good strike, a well informed guess at yardage, I knew the hole and the pin placement and went to get the ball within 10" as i do on all approaches...

so play more, practice more, and you'll get more opportunities to hole one or putt one in...

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Played a round the other day with my best friend that was spur of the moment. He had been going through some medical tests and he got the all clear results in the morning and was off the rest of the day. I finished up my day early and met him at the course to celebrate his good news. On the first par 5, which was where I made my first ever eagle, I hit a good drive and had 200 yards left to the pin. I hit a 5 iron as well as I have ever hit that ended up 7 feet from the hole pin high. My buddy said he never saw the shot because he was looking for it way to the right of the green where I usually hit it. Had to laugh at that! Anyway, I read the putt to have about 10 inches of break if I put a good paced stroke on it but if I missed I would have a longer come backer. No guts, no glory so I put a good paced confident stoke on it and made the eagle. Third one of the year and only the 6th of my golf career. They do seem to come easier when the pressure is off.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

• 1 month later...

I have never made one either and it is a bit aggravating. I can reach most of the par 5's in two at my home course and i have had several close calls but just can't seem to get one to drop. Last week i hit a 4i to 10-12' on a par 5 and then ran the putt way past and then on the next hole (par 4) i hit a wedge to about 3".

I've come very close on a couple of par 4's, including one that burned the edge of the cup a few weeks ago.

At my usual course, I've only had ONE eagle putt on a par 5. My home course only has what I consider to be one reachable par 5. I don't know how unusual that is. Here's the rundown:

Hole 1: Long and uphill the whole ways. Very doubtful I'd ever be able to reach in 2, but the fact that it's the first hole of the day makes it impossible.

Hole 7: A good drive leaves me 210ish out. The problem is that the green is protected by tough bunkers in the front and OB left, right, and deep. I usually go driver-9 iron to a nice layup spot.

13: Reachable with two good shots. I've done it.

18: Not reachable. Another long and uphill hole. Water to the left and front of the green means only going for it in scrambles.

You know, in typing all of this out I think I've determined that I should just go for it more on 7 and 18. I think those ARE reachable, I just don't have the guts to do it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Second eagle of the year yesterday (chipped in from 15 yards out) and almost had a second in the same round, but the putt from off the fringe lipped out because the speed of the putt was wrong.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Just turned 62 and had my first eagle this summer. Par 5. 493 yards. Driver, 18 hybrid, to the edge of the putting surface. Drained a 65' putt. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I can play this game!! Four holes later, par 5, 576 yards I am 150 yards out in the middle of the fairway in two with a 7 iron in my hands.

NINE.

Son of a ...

I had my first eagle on Sunday and it was not what I'd ever imagined it being.

It was a doubles match, lowest score out of the two is the score marked for that hole.

It's a 411 par 4, the green is uphill, sitting 25-30 feet above the fairway. So it's into 20mph hour winds off the left, OB along the right.

I've got the honor and catch my drive out the top of the club face, ball goes into orbit, not very far. My partner puts his OB. The first guy on the opposing team hits a cracking low drive. His partner hits OB.

So the opponent is further up, I check my yardage and I've got 178 yards uphill into this wind. I'm debating clubs, 5 iron might not make it, 4 needs to be middled abs after 3 rounds in the previous two days I have zero energy left. Hybrid would go too high so I think what the hell and pull my 3 wood.

My partner's looking at me shaking his head says that'll be too much. I say nah I'm going to hit it hard and go for a big cut into the wind.

I aim left of the green and swing. Contact was so pure I didn't even feel club making contact. That effortless and smooth. I think to myself I cannot hit that club any better. They were back within 1 after being 4 down. Course was LOOOONG because of the wind and the rain. I thought if that's not on the green we're done.

I saw it start bang left and cut back to the middle of the green. Didn't see it down because of the elevation change so I was walking up thinking that's all I can do.

Opponent sticks his second to teen feet.

Get onto the green and there's no sign of my ball . Partner's going daft saying you're long I told you etc etc.

Searched over the back and nothing. Was ready for chucking it when the guy on the other team mutters "I don't f****** believe it." We turn to see his partner pulling my ball out of the hole. Eagle. First ever.

Gave us a cushion and absolutely wiped out their resistance. We birdied three of the next four and won comfortably in the end.

Still buzzing about it. Saw the shot, felt the amount of cut needed to give it a chance of getting up and on the green and I pured it. Disappointed not to see it in but it added a bit of drama to a really tough day in tough conditions.

On a par 4 as well!

IMO you're worrying about it too much. They will happen, more often that not when you least expect it.

Play from the tees that give you a reasonable chance at reaching a par 5 in two, or close to it. I've pitched/chipped in many a eagle on a par 5 from just off the green. For decades my strength was overpowering the par 5s. I have no idea how many eagles I've had on them.

I think I have had one or two eagles on par 4s, and three hole-in-ones. But that's over the course of 40+ years of golf. Keep playing. They will happen. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec