Atlanta Golf! Must play golf courses

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bobby Jones Golf Course is set to reopen soon with a new design that features "reversible nines." Course is supposed to have been re-turfed and conditioned. I don't live in Atlanta myself, but plan on playing the course when I pass through next summer.

https://bobbyjonesgc.com

Very interesting.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I lived in Atlanta for 8 years and I will say that the public golf scene is far better than any of the 3 cities I have lived in - NYC and Cincinnati being the other 2 - not exactly golfing meccas. We were right by Emory and pretty much had a 45-60 minute drive anywhere outside the perimeter. For several years, I was a Canongate member (now Club Corp) and perhaps my best memories of golf were at River Forest. My usual haunts were Stone Mountain, Browns Mill, Wolf Creek and Smoke Rise, mainly for proximity, but all solid tracks in their own right for being public access. Then, there were at least 20-30 options for other courses if not more. If time allowed, we would drive to Reunion, Legacy at Lanier, Crystal Lake, Echelon, etc., etc. For me, learning to play golf on the likes of Clearview, Pelham/Split Rock, Van Cortland and other NYC munis, the golf scene in Atlanta was heaven. Cincinnati leaves a lot to be desired as well. I, for one, never took the variety and options for granted and miss the golf scene there - but definitely not the traffic.

ATL doesn't have a marquee public access course complex, like a Cog Hill, or Beth Page, but there are a host of "good" public access golf courses. River Forest is an outstanding track, was never a CG or CC member but played as a guest many times and we made the long trek down a few times.

On my side of town (north east metro), I would say Reunion, and Chicopee Woods are probably the best options. My home course is Trophy Club Apalachee...hate the layout, but the greens have saved this course in my eyes.

I just played Bears Best this morning. I thought the course was very nice. The murfield par 3 replica, #6 and the pga championship par 3, #11 are awesome golf holes. Very challenging. I thought the first 6 holes were fantastic and then after that, besides 11 it was meh. Good not great. Course consition was well above average compared to other courses around. Recently punched, I’d say about 2 weeks ago. So the greens are still recovering but don’t effect the roll much anymore. I’m a fan but would never pay more than $50

I just played Bears Best this morning. I thought the course was very nice. The murfield par 3 replica, #6 and the pga championship par 3, #11 are awesome golf holes. Very challenging. I thought the first 6 holes were fantastic and then after that, besides 11 it was meh. Good not great. Course consition was well above average compared to other courses around. Recently punched, Id say about 2 weeks ago. So the greens are still recovering but dont effect the roll much anymore. Im a fan but would never pay more than $50

Can't believe they try and charge $100+ for that course.

Hampton golf village up 400 is a solid track. #18 is one of my favorite holes anywhere in ATL.

I just got back from playing East Lake for 3 rounds this past weekend. Absolutely amazing experience from all aspects (golf course, caddies, clubhouse, service, etc.). The course kicked my Word not allowed. They were of course getting ready for the Tour Championship and already had the rough nice and thick to say the least lol. Fairway conditions like nothing I've ever seen before and I've played a lot of nice courses. If you get the chance, play it.

I just got back from playing East Lake for 3 rounds this past weekend. Absolutely amazing experience from all aspects (golf course, caddies, clubhouse, service, etc.). The course kicked my Word not allowed. They were of course getting ready for the Tour Championship and already had the rough nice and thick to say the least lol. Fairway conditions like nothing I've ever seen before and I've played a lot of nice courses. If you get the chance, play it.

Played it a week ago. Rough was BRUTAL.

4 players and 2 caddies looking for a ball 10 feet off the fairway at times. lol

I just played Bears Best this morning. I thought the course was very nice. The murfield par 3 replica, #6 and the pga championship par 3, #11 are awesome golf holes. Very challenging. I thought the first 6 holes were fantastic and then after that, besides 11 it was meh. Good not great. Course consition was well above average compared to other courses around. Recently punched, I’d say about 2 weeks ago. So the greens are still recovering but don’t effect the roll much anymore. I’m a fan but would never pay more than $50

Can't believe they try and charge $100+ for that course.

Hampton golf village up 400 is a solid track. #18 is one of my favorite holes anywhere in ATL.

I lived in Hampton for several years, played there a couple hundred times. 18 is one of the toughest finishing holes in GA, IMHO!!!

I'm playing Bears Best tomorrow for our annual work golf outing. It's a nice track, but $100 is redic. I can normally find a hot deal during the week for much much cheaper.

BridgeMill, checked that off the list yesterday. Layout was okay, I honestly liked Bears Best and Cobblestones better. The amount of driving between holes is insane btw. You could never walk this course. Course condition was excellent though. They just started punching greens so beware! About half of them were punched and I think they had plans to punch the rest today. If you don’t mind the aeration you can play really cheap with nobody out there. I played 27 holes at twilight for $24. You can’t beat that!

Played it a week ago. Rough was BRUTAL.

4 players and 2 caddies looking for a ball 10 feet off the fairway at times. lol

Unfortunately I had that experience several times lol. What pisses me off is I'm watching these guys play it now and I swear their ball is sitting up nice and pretty when they hit it in the rough on 18. That was NOT the case for me...ever lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Atlanta OP.

You might want to look into Golfzing for a membership. The Players Club of Atlanta courses include Bradshaw Farms, Trophy Club of Atlanta and Trophy Club of Apalachee.

If you're not into memberships there's always deals on Teeoff and Birdiebug. I'm in the Smyrna area usually drive 30 mins to and hour to different courses in every direction.

Here's a list of the courses I play that usually have deals

Chicopee Woods

Chateau Elan, Chateau Course

Wolf Creek Golf Course

Lake Spivey GC

Summer Grove

The Frog

West Pine GC

St Marlo

• 9 months later...