Question for guys with golfing wife/GF

KSP

I love it. My wife loves it as well. We also play with our friends separately.

I never understand guys who treat golf or anything else like their little boys treehouse club. My wife and I clearly communicate when we want to do things together and when we dont and there are no issues either way when we are together or separate.

I think if the wife insists on playing with the husband every time she plays, that could cause friction. Like you, we each have times when we'll choose to play with a specific group, and the other finds their own game. We do try to coordinate times, so we can drive out and back together.

I've certainly seen plenty of guys who want act act like buffoons on the golf course, drinking, swearing, hitting on the bev cart girl. For them, having their wife with them would certainly diminish their "fun". I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for those guys.

My God! Can you imagine someone drinking or swearing on a golf course! Oh the humanity!

LOL, perhaps I phrased that wrong, I drink a little and swear (sometimes a lot) myself. I'm talking about the guys well past 40 who like to behave as if they're 20 year old frat boys on spring break.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

DO NOT golf with the wife/GF/etc. Golf is ME time. I do tons of other random things with the ball and chain, leave me and my golf alone.

Wow, I have never referred to my wife or any other girl that I have been with as my "ball and chain". I suggest that if you really feel that way, you find someone else to be with. Sounds miserable to me.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

My wife basically hates everything about the game. So I really don’t expect her to join me anytime in the near future.

Same here... but I knew that going in... so I won't be taking any all golf vacations... but she plans for us to go to destinations with a course on site or nearby so I can out in the morning...

But for some reason she's managed to sit through a 10+ hour day at 6 majors with me and a couple of random events

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I don’t think that a lot of guys really like their wives enough to want to spend a big chunk of their spare time with them.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

My wife plays, not a lot, but when she does play she plays quite well. We have done trips together to Scotland, Cabo, California, Arizona, etc.. She can do without playing everyday, but she doesn't mind if I do. It is nice to be able to get out a couple of times together when on holidays, and she doesn't mind if I run out and play early and we have the entire afternoon to tour around. When we are home she rarely plays, we will get out and play 9 on a Friday evening and have a drink on the patio after. But she lets me play whenever I want really since she understands how much I love it. It is nice to have the option. We even played a couple of rounds on a trip to Iceland. It is a nice thing to do together, but it's also nice to have my men's nights and games with the boys. We couldn't be happier.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

I love it. My wife loves it as well. We also play with our friends separately.

I never understand guys who treat golf or anything else like their little boys treehouse club. My wife and I clearly communicate when we want to do things together and when we dont and there are no issues either way when we are together or separate.

I think if the wife insists on playing with the husband every time she plays, that could cause friction. Like you, we each have times when we'll choose to play with a specific group, and the other finds their own game. We do try to coordinate times, so we can drive out and back together.

I've certainly seen plenty of guys who want act act like buffoons on the golf course, drinking, swearing, hitting on the bev cart girl. For them, having their wife with them would certainly diminish their "fun". I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for those guys.

My God! Can you imagine someone drinking or swearing on a golf course! Oh the humanity!

LOL, perhaps I phrased that wrong, I drink a little and swear (sometimes a lot) myself. I'm talking about the guys well past 40 who like to behave as if they're 20 year old frat boys on spring break.

Trying to get a date with the 20-something cart girl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hasn't worked yet though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

At the end of the day many marriages are unhappy ones, which is why 50% of them end in divorce, and of the rest that stay together, a good chunk of those are unhappy.

I don't know how much this has to do with golf.

If you have a good relationship, it should be fun to play golf with your husband/wife. Provided as i mentioned earlier, you do have SOME outlet to do stuff on your own (this goes for both you and her)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sounds like another bogus or bias social media survey that targeted certain people. Bet an underlying motive is tied to cost for two players too. Every weekend golf costs me $200-$300.

I didn't marry till late, so I had plenty of time to enjoy myself, travel and compete in a few amateur sports all while building a company. Thus when I decided to marry, I expected to spend time doing all sorts of activities with my wife, golf being one. Oh, she was a golfer and tennis player before we met. My wife plays to a 12 and a buddies wife to 13, among other women I know. And each of them plays golf in all sorts of conditions and nearly every day on vacation. I don't need permission to play with the guys or go fishing, shooting or hunting, and she doesn't need permission to do what she want's with the girls.

My last two clubs had a rather large active women's club and more than one couples golf event per month. Yet, I know guys that never want their wife or GF playing golf, as golf is their way of getting away from the woman. Go figure. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I'm happy to be in the group that likes playing with their spouse. We played probably 30-40 times together (up until this year, we had a baby in April), and really enjoyed the time together.

Guys over the age of 25 that treat golf like a frat party and hit on the cart girl are d0uchebags, doesn't surprise me they don't like their wives (or wives don't like them, more likely).

I’m in the no spouse camp. My first wife drove the cart a few times but didn’t want to play. I did manage to get her to the range once snd she actually hit pretty good. Current wife, not a chsnce.

But thats fine with me. I think it’s healthy to have time away from each other and I don’t believe spouses have to share every hobby. But I’m also 56 and part of that could be generational.

I enjoy the fact my wife golfs. I taught her to play 30 years ago, and she picked up the bug. She has won club championships in 3 different states, Plays 3 times a week without me and about 2 or three times a month with me. She has beaten me more times than i can count. She plays quickly, she is competitive, and she knows her game. The only time it gets testy is if I offer unsolicited swing advice.

I am jealous that her game is low maintenance and does not require practice. She broke her arm a couple years back and was off for 8-10 weeks. She broke 80 her third round back. No regrets here. It is fun to see the look on the face of a thirty- something "player" when a middle aged women beats them.

I play with my wife and daughter 2 times a month. I play with my daughter, 4 years old, once a week.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Doesn't surprise me. First it is Golf Digest which makes it as far as 27.4572 feet from my mailbox to the recycle bin. Second as an outside observer I would say 3 out 4 married men don't really enjoy having to spend leisure time with their 'significant' others whether it be golf or other activities. The ones that can make it work seem to have a blast. The others... not so much.

My wife started playing because as a women in a corporate setting dominated by men she was already getting invited to all sorts of corporate tournaments to 'appear' diverse. She figured it would be a good way to get a day off every now and then if she took up the game and was able to take advantage of the invites. She definitely gets to play much nicer courses than I do as a result.

It quickly led to us getting membership at a private course because she has less patience than me for 5 hour rounds at a public course. Anytime we think we may get rid of the private membership we book a tee time at a public course on a weekend to remind us of why we still shell out for it.

We play together once or twice most weeks and I'm in a outside 9hole league as well. We both have others we play golf with although, besides my brother, she's probably my most constant golf partner. We've planned many a vacation around golf or with golf as one of the activities.

Works great for us.

I think it depends. Golfers who just love to get out and go golfing would probably enjoy wifes company. Guys who have an itch to compete and have their hearts set on tournies and future will see wives and gfs dragging them down and being a waste of their practice time. Single guys have no one to answer to so they can shape their own destiny. Married guys have to balance golf time and family time, and can often feel like they are being held back.

If a married man feels like he's held back by the wife and or children, he chose the wrong women, doesn't live by his decisions or shouldn't be married. Whichever it is, he's an unhappy man who improves his chances of divorce.

Sounds to me like many golfers; only he gets in his own way in more than just golf. :lol: :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Weird results.

I do know guys who think golf is their time which I don't understand. Maybe these are the guys who turn their garage in a "man cave".

My wife loves golf and it's the greatest thing. Every trip we do includes playing some nice courses. St. Andrews and Carnoustie are next on the list. It also helps that she's now a very good golfer. She just won the A flight at our club championships so I have no concerns playing with her anywhere with her.

When she was learning we stuck to shorter crappy courses and that was a bit of drag but it was so fun to watch her progress. I get way more enjoyment out of seeing her play well rather than myself. She actually golfs more than I do right now.

The main reason I play golf alone is because my wife has zero interest in it. If she had an interest it would be fine with me. I don’t play as much as I would if I were single but I don’t feel as if I’m being cheated. My game suffers because of it but I’m never going to be very good at it anyway. Doesn’t matter. So I just use it as my time and have fun with it. My wife and I have other interests we share.

I play about three-four times a week minimum and my wife gets out generally once a week with me and rides along. She doesn’t drive nor does she want to. It’s just another place we get to do the things we both like. She rides in the cart and reads her book and she will watch damn near every shot and I get to play golf. I also take my daughter along with me at least twice a week, she’s almost 4, and she has her own club that she swings and we teach her as a family. I don’t see why other people don’t want to take their spouse with them because it’s “guy time” if you get used to playing in front of her then you won’t have issues playing in front of others again. Just my opinion.

My wife talked about playing and I got her fitted for clubs 25 years ago. But she didn't practice and made about zero effort to learn the rules or anything else. She talks in the middle of my backswing to warn me about ducks nowhere nearby or in my line. After a couple rounds with her I gave up and refused to play with her.

The wife (10 handicap) and I have been playing golf together the last 14 years

The good :

Always have a partner to have a game with

Bouncing golf ideas off

She knows my swing the best

Most loyal supporter

The bad :

She is used playing with me and my mates now and then - all low handicaps, so the ladies games can be frustrating for her.

If I have a good game lined up, and she does not, it can be frustrating for her

I get frustrated with her lack of performance compared to her skill - she can cut 5 shots a game easily.

All put together, I am lucky having the wife as a fellow golf fanatic.

[snip]

The bad :

If I have a good game lined up, and she does not, it can be frustrating for her

I assume when you say that, you mean you're playing well? That's the one thing I found kind of funny. In the hundreds of rounds I've played with my wife, only on a couple select occasions have we both played well at the same time. Typically if it's her day, it isn't mine or vise versa haha

Have to wonder about the demographic of the married guys they polled. Are they younger guys whose golf opportunities are restricted by family obligations? Most of the couples my wife and I play with are in the same situation as us - kids out the door or almost out the door, financially secure, plenty of free time on our hands. Just like us, they love playing together, but also have time to play with friends.

My wife just started playing about a year and a half ago. She fell in love with the game from day one, and loves the idea that it's something we can do together as we get older. When we started exploring memberships last year, it was her idea to pony up for the more expensive private club membership, which turned out to be the best decision we could have made.

We play together probably 5-6 days a week. We'll almost always head to the club after work to get as many holes as we can in before dark. I've got my men's league on Wednesday nights, she has her ladies league on Thursdays. Thursday nights I usually play with some of the other women's husbands. Friday nights we'll usually play with another couple. I'll play with the guys in the morning on Saturday and Sunday, and she'll play with the ladies one of those days and an afternoon round with me for another.

It's a perfect balance for us, and good for us because we actually like spending time together. We get a LOT of time together on the course, we're having a blast whether it's just the two of us or we're with other couples, she gets her time with her friends, I get my time with my friends.

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

DO NOT golf with the wife/GF/etc. Golf is ME time. I do tons of other random things with the ball and chain, leave me and my golf alone.

Wow, I have never referred to my wife or any other girl that I have been with as my "ball and chain". I suggest that if you really feel that way, you find someone else to be with. Sounds miserable to me.

My wife is an incredibly intelligent and successful woman who can easily stand on her own.

I couldn't imagine referring to her as a burden.

I saw the survey results when I flipped through GD and it made sense to me.

I play a decent amount of golf, and my wife plays a ton of tennis. I used to play some tennis but don’t play with her as much now (mainly because of my knees). I introduced her to golf about 20 years ago, and she’s probably played 10 rounds in her life. I thought it would help me play more and give us another thing to do together, but it really didn’t work that way.

She is too much of a perfectionist for golf, and her misery is no fun for me. So when I do play with her, I put my own game to the side and just focus on keeping her from throwing her clubs in the lake. So I came to the conclusion that this was no good for either of us.

We played together for the first time in years a few months ago and it was fun, and she kept her expectations in check (and she’s grown up some over the years). I’d be glad to play with her again, but I will also be perfectly happy if she never hits another golf ball.

I hate that my golf time takes away from family time, but I also firmly believe that everyone needs their thing that doesn’t necessarily have to involve their family.

Oh, and our marriage is great. We enjoy plenty of things together, have been married over 20 years and still going strong. But certain things (like golf and tennis) are, at least for us, better experienced with others.