Cost of a bucket of range balls

skoronesa

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to practice extensively at a soccer and baseball field complex near my old house. Buy your balls, get some sort of tote to carry them around, and either use aiming sticks, trees, or even your golf bag as the target. Arrange the balls at various distances, or just practice particular shots you need to practice. You can hit balls for hours for basically nothing.

taking your own range balls to a driving range is a sure way to get uninvited to that place of business. The cost of the bucket is not just the balls in it, it also reflects the business costs they need to recover to stay in business while turning a fair profit.

Average price around here is $5 a bucket... I just got about a thousand balls from a neighbor that passed away... so won't need to be buying many buckets

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

It ranges from £5 to about £7.50 for a bucket of 100 balls over here. I’ve got practice bag full of used pro v1’s that is sitting in my office that hardly ever get used.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I used to practice extensively at a soccer and baseball field complex near my old house. Buy your balls, get some sort of tote to carry them around, and either use aiming sticks, trees, or even your golf bag as the target. Arrange the balls at various distances, or just practice particular shots you need to practice. You can hit balls for hours for basically nothing.

I stopped doing that when I was unable to find too many. If you find every single one then thats good but when I was losing 5-6 balls out on the field somewhere I didnt like the thought of a kid twisting or breaking an ankle on the ball I left behind.

I stopped doing that when I was unable to find too many. If you find every single one then thats good but when I was losing 5-6 balls out on the field somewhere I didnt like the thought of a kid twisting or breaking an ankle on the ball I left behind.

I never hit onto the actual fields themselves, only around or over them to the accompanying and surrounding land, and I never hit so many balls that finding them was an issue, but you do make a good point. Going out to a sports field and turning lose if you're a high handicap is probably a bad idea. Maybe a big park with open grass space would be better.

9-11 dollars here at local ranges for a large bucket, only problem here is the balls are so shite, they really mark the faces of your drivers/woods, I know that'll happen eventually anyways, but man it sucks to mark up a fairly new driver like that so easy. And those bags of washed balls at Canadian walmarts are around 30 bucks if memory serves, my buddy whos new to the game bought a sack of callaways, half of em were gouged and bulged, garbage. I gotta find some better ranges.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I practice at a muni that's between work and home for me. $5 for 35 balls. I usually take my small bucket to the practice green first and chip/pitch balls for awhile before I go knock them into the range.

The ball machine is right beside the range and uses tokens they sell inside the pro shop. I usually get three tokens each time I go in, but I only use one per visit and keep the extras in my bag for my next couple of visits.

It would be great if it wasn't right beside a sewage treatment plant. The quality of air depends heavily on the direction of the breeze on any given day.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

$10 for 100 balls in my area, not the greatest balls ever but not rocks either. As per the post above, if you plan on spending a lot of time on the range an unlimited pass, if offered, is probably the way to go. The small, public course that I grew up playing at sold buckets of 30 for $5, not a great deal considering you could expect to find a few cut up balata's in the mix.

Haven't been there for about 5 years but at the time, at Eisenhower Park on Long Island, one of the more expensive places to live in the USA, a bucket averaged out to about 11 cents per ball. Not bad.

Couple of years ago, since I've moved down to Florida, in the SUMMER, the OFF-SEASON, where you'd think ANY cash coming in would be appreciated I went to the range at a local course and the balls were about 18 cents per. 70% higher than L.I. IN-SEASON.

Hit that one bucket that one time and nothing since. Ridiculous.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

It always makes more sense to hit your own. But the problem is finding an open field. Getting harder and harder, even here in the south.

This is the first time I have ever heard of buying balls, then hitting them once at a range. And I must be insensitive. Hit thousands of balls at public parks alll my life and it never occurred to me someone could step on it and break an ankle. What a dangerous world we live in.

I remember when I was a kid I could get a bucket of balls from the ball machine for a dime....actual tokens cost $2.50, but we figured out that dimes could work too. LOL

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

$5.00 for around 40 balls in my neck of the woods. I practice my short game at home with a couple of shag bags, one of the advantages of country living.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Local range suburb of Columbus, Ohio. 175 balls 14 dollars, 75 balls 8 dollars, 40 balls 5.50. Brand new Calloway range balls every April. Can purchase a card in December for 120 dollars and get 185 dollars in value. Range open year round with heated bays in winter. Two putting greens, practice fairway bunker, chipping green. They put out 60,000 new balls each year. I feel quite lucky to have this place 13 minutes from home.

My home course is $12 for a large bucket but since I work there 1/2 day a week I get to use it as much as I want. I also live on an acre and from my front lawn to the horse trailer at the bottom of my lot is 50 yards. Perfect LW practice. The land across from me is vacant and slopes up to a large hill. I can hit all the way to driver when the urge hits me. Only problem is doing the Easter Egg hunt with my shag bag. When my grandkids visit I pay them to pick them up.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I never hit onto the actual fields themselves, only around or over them to the accompanying and surrounding land, and I never hit so many balls that finding them was an issue, but you do make a good point. Going out to a sports field and turning lose if you're a high handicap is probably a bad idea. Maybe a big park with open grass space would be better.

Invest in a Shag Bag. They're cheap and picking up balls is a breeze.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Local range suburb of Columbus, Ohio. 175 balls 14 dollars, 75 balls 8 dollars, 40 balls 5.50. Brand new Calloway range balls every April. Can purchase a card in December for 120 dollars and get 185 dollars in value. Range open year round with heated bays in winter. Two putting greens, practice fairway bunker, chipping green. They put out 60,000 new balls each year. I feel quite lucky to have this place 13 minutes from home.

Sounds a lot like Westerville. Problem there is the grass is crap from such high use.

I much prefer Ables in Dublin but the damn developers bought it. Closing at the end of October to build more freaking apartments. Popping up everywhere like Mushrooms. Very depressing.

Get ready for Westerville to get even busier. That guy that owns that place free and clear may as well be printing his own money. Rolling in dough.

My local range is pretty cheap, but it would still be cheaper for me to buy washed balls at walmart and then hit those at the range. Any of you guys ever do that?

Yes. Our pro will pay 10 cents a ball if you tell him you're doing it. A large bucket is $9 at my goat track. A little spendy for the economics of this area.

Ranges around here, cheapest one is $7.67 for a bucket with maybe 50-60 balls in it.

The other one charges $10 a bucket for maybe 50, and is $75 a month if you want an unlimited. We're getting f'n hosed here compared to other parts of the world. We have a lot golf courses around here in Northwest Arkansas.

You’re saying they don’t wash their range balls?

At our facility...

Off the mats only ~ $5.50 for 40 balls and $8.25 for 80

At Natural Turf (includes pitching and putting greens, green side and fairway bunkers, and a large bent/Bermuda grass range)...

Usage Fee of $14.50 (unlimited time and balls per visit)

Or purchase a 10 Usage Card for $99

Get about 40k new balls a year...

My local range is pretty cheap, but it would still be cheaper for me to buy washed balls at walmart and then hit those at the range. Any of you guys ever do that?

The most expensive range balls I've hit were about 18 cents per ball.

Walmart sells golf balls cheaper than that ? :blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X