End of the TF Gamer

glk23

Well, it looks like the end for my beloved TF Gamer. I noticed the price drop on Dick's web site for the Gamer so I went to my local store to see if they had them at the $11.97 price. I found one dozen on the shelf for $10.77 and no other store in my area had any. Luckily the women helped me order some from the web site for $10.77 plus free shipping so I grabbed 4 more dozen. This is a real bummer as I have been playing the Gamer since the v2 version came out. When Dick's purchased them, my local golf store had the v2 for $10 a dozen and I stocked up. When the 4 dozen arrive, I will have 7 dozen Gamers and 2 dozen Gamer Softs which should last me 4-5 years. I have loved this ball since I first played it and am quite disappointed it will be going away. If you like them as I do, better stock up while you still can.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it’s not completely true. Maybe just some brand reorganization again. I love the Gamer Yellow and have a dozen left but can’t get those anymore. Have a few dozen white and tour left as well. I did just get a few of the D2 Feel in Yellow today due to the flash sale and the buy 2 get one deal added in. That may be my new cheap front runner. It’s a decent ball for the price. I’m still bummed I never got to play the Gamer Soft. I have a box of the blue ones but they’re just really hard to see out there.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

The D2 Feel is one of my favorite winter balls and I am glad they are staying around. I pick up a couple of boxes every other Black Friday/Cyber Monday and that lasts a couple of years. I finally tried the Gamer Softs last spring and am now glad I picked up a couple dozen at 2 for $25. While I like them fine, I still find the Gamer slightly longer off the tee. My 4 dozen Gamers at $10.77 each just arrived today. This, plus what I have on hand, should last somewhere in the 5 year range.

I hope it's not completely true. Maybe just some brand reorganization again. I love the Gamer Yellow and have a dozen left but can't get those anymore. Have a few dozen white and tour left as well. I did just get a few of the D2 Feel in Yellow today due to the flash sale and the buy 2 get one deal added in. That may be my new cheap front runner. It's a decent ball for the price. I'm still bummed I never got to play the Gamer Soft. I have a box of the blue ones but they're just really hard to see out there.

Mostly +1, I found the D2 Feel in yellow a nice summer ball, as it is surprisingly a bit firm. But, they feel great in the summer heat. The only drawback is they do not stop on the green. Gamersoft was great. Blue ones are horrible. I was a DSG fan. But, if they are trashing the Gamer line, time to move on to Srixon Soft Feel and QST.

Stock up, if can or haven't, then recognize there are plenty of balls available that will provide similar performance, or better.

One of my 'cheap skate" buddies, only buys used 5A/Mint "tour balls" and gets them for what we calculated to be 48 cents a ball, so about $6/doz. I have seen the balls and most appear brand new.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Stock up, if can or haven't, then recognize there are plenty of balls available that will provide similar performance, or better.

One of my 'cheap skate" buddies, only buys used 5A/Mint "tour balls" and gets them for what we calculated to be 48 cents a ball, so about $6/doz. I have seen the balls and most appear brand new.

Does your buddy divulge his source(s)? That's a really sweet deal.

I switched to the Srixon Qstar Tour after learning the Gamer Softs were no longer available. Decided to put the GS back in play today and they performed so well...great feel off all the clubs and putter. What a great ball and value they were.

Although the QSTs are a great replacement, they’re also double the price. Sure hope Dick’s has a replacement in the works!

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I switched to the Srixon Qstar Tour after learning the Gamer Softs were no longer available. Decided to put the GS back in play today and they performed so well...great feel off all the clubs and putter. What a great ball and value they were.

Although the QSTs are a great replacement, they're also double the price. Sure hope Dick's has a replacement in the works!

+1 It looks like the Usofts are also being cleared out as well. That leaves the D2 Feel the only comparable ball in the DSG line up? Not a bad ball.

I just ordered 5 15 packs of Yellow D2 Feels. With the 4 1/2 dozen Yellow Gamers I have in the closet that should keep me playing TFs well into the future. Golfworks seems to have some TF Gamers at $10 a dozen still in stock for now in white but no yellow.

Yellow D2 Feels are great. A little firmer than I expected for a lower compression 2 piece ball. But, still soft. It has some run out on the green. In the warmer weather, they felt really good. Nice yellow and a great value!

The Top Flite Gamer isn’t being discontinued, they are just blowing out the stock of the previous gen before the next gen launches...

Do tell! We had the line buried. Is there a yellow gamersoft in the mix?

I work at DICK’S part time once a week, and we were told that the TF Gamer wasn’t being discontinued, that’s all I know at this time. When they tell us more, I’ll post it.

The Top Flite Gamer isn’t being discontinued, they are just blowing out the stock of the previous gen before the next gen launches...

Do tell! We had the line buried. Is there a yellow gamersoft in the mix?

I work at DICK’S part time once a week, and we were told that the TF Gamer wasn’t being discontinued, that’s all I know at this time. When they tell us more, I’ll post it.

ok thx

Too late, though I liked the 3 pc Gamer Soft I've moved on. If they can't keep the supply line they don't need me!

I only go through 2 dozen or so a year, found a better ball. Cost a bit more but when I want a dozen I expect to be able to get it!

Too late, though I liked the 3 pc Gamer Soft I've moved on. If they can't keep the supply line they don't need me!

I only go through 2 dozen or so a year, found a better ball. Cost a bit more but when I want a dozen I expect to be able to get it!

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I have bought "good" balls like Z Star, Chrome, and many others, but my best rounds are always with a gamer in play.

Looking to stock up on balls now that winter sales are here. For those that like the gamer, how do you like the Wilson Duos in comparison.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Any updates? I have bought "good" balls like Z Star, Chrome, and many others, but my best rounds are always with a gamer in play.

Looking to stock up on balls now that winter sales are here. For those that like the gamer, how do you like the Wilson Duos in comparison.

The Duos would be much softer than the gamers. Perhaps, Bridgestone e6 speed, Cut White, Cut Matte or Project S for 3 piece surlyn balls. If you go to a 2 piece ball. D2 feel is a good choice. They will be two for one on Black Friday at DSG. In my opinion for a little more money, Q Star tour is a great choice. But, cheaper than the premium balls.

edit: The cut matte white looks like a strong contender to replace the gamersoft. It is 3 piece surlyn and 65 compression.

https://www.cutgolf....cts/the-3-piece

I played the Gamer Soft and have replaced it with the 2 piece DT TruSoft. I also found the e6 Soft to be almost the same as the Gamer Soft. The Maxfli Softfli is my backup and Fall ball but I am getting fed up with DSG and their tendency to discontinue balls (U/3 was my last big disappointment). They do sell them at low prices but I would prefer that they sell the Maxfli and Top Flight brands and patents to a company who's primary business is making golf balls.

Update on replacing the Gamer Soft. I was close to committing to the Srixon Soft Feel but I played it on my home course a week ago and never could dial in the yardages and short game. So I circled back to the D2+ feel balls and the previous Qstar version for this past weeks audition. The D2+ feel won that battle and is now in the lead. I read the description of the Cut white matte and it looks intriguing. I don't have a real mens club event until December that I will play so there is some time yet but the D2+ seems to be the closest match tee to green. It doesn't spin as much for me around the greens so I will have to adjust a little. I am also putting different driver and fairways in the bag for the cooler season so a lot still in flux.