2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anonymous Pro Survey: What the pros REALLY think

puttfordoux

This is good stuff and great questions. I'd take 10 wins for sure. You could win one major and fall off the tour. Like a YE Yang.

Ya but i still remember YE Yang and probably always will. Couldnt tell you who has 10 tour wins and no majors. The only thing that makes it somewhat close is the financial implications of winning 10 tour events.. but for me its Majors > Money

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good quotes there.

90% believe Tiger will win another major, that's higher than I expected.

It tells me that the players, like the general public, get caught up in the hype. That figures way too high given he hasn't won a major for 10 years and is winless in 5 years.

Hype is absolutely the correct term. After all, the last golfer to win multiple majors after turning 43 was you Tom.

yea ...what could those insiders possibly know about it ? Thats like calling a restaurant reviewers report on a place "hype".... what could he/she possibly know about it ..they only taste food for a living and report on it .... smh

Those "insiders" have as much knowledge about how many majors Tiger will win going forward as you do. Which is to say, none.

Some good quotes there.

It tells me that the players, like the general public, get caught up in the hype. That figures way too high given he hasn't won a major for 10 years and is winless in 5 years.

But consider what it means for 98% of the best on the planet, guys who have seen him all year, to say this. We are talking about

"59 players participated, including four major winners, one 2018 major winner and three of the top-20 players in the world."

I don't think these guys are easily hyped into some pie in the sky assessment of TWs potential.

Highlights

3% have tanked on purpose to miss the cut, yeah right.

Breaking news Professional sportsman has a chip on their shoulder.

We need to know where to be when war breaks out.

And the ball does go too straight.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Basically, all I got from this:

1. Don't leave your children alone with Tour Pro's

2. They aren't exactly the brightest bunch, but man can they play golf

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Do you own a gun? Just these...probably Brooks Koepka (lol).

Chesson Hadley.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Some good quotes there.

Really? That’s the most logical conclusion you come to? I could understand if you said that about your average golfer or even your average pro but these are the guys who’s opinions we would take as some of the most credible. I’m not saying they know, but if any group would come the closest to knowing, it’d be them.

Nike VR_S w/ Diamana ION 'ahina 70s
Callaway Razr Fit 15 w/ UST VTS Silver 7
Adams Super 9031 18
4-PW Callaway X-Prototype w/ S300
Byron Morgan 006
Cleveland 50
Nike VR Pro 56
Tour Vokey 60

Some good quotes there.

Really? That’s the most logical conclusion you come to? I could understand if you said that about your average golfer or even your average pro but these are the guys who’s opinions we would take as some of the most credible. I’m not saying they know, but if any group would come the closest to knowing, it’d be them.

You just had to look at Twitter during the PGA, yes Tiger played very well but the rhetoric in the Tweets from some of the top players in the world was hype personified.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Some good quotes there.

I had a good friend of mine that I play with quite bit tell me that he has changed his mind as have a lot of players. Now maybe it is because they "know" him more or look at him more favorably than before. They have played a couple times this year, and once in a major. Basically your logic matches up with mine and what I have heard from guys that are inside the ropes playing the course, no one knows better than those players who know what shots are required to play a course.

Can he win again? Yeah absolutely. Are players antsy like they were when he gets on the first page of the leaderboard? Not like the early 2000s, but I have heard that when Tiger grabbed the lead at The British, there was more than a few caddie player conversations that went something like, "Holy s**t, Tigers got the lead" and more than a few caddies had to say, "He has not won in x years" or "Nevermind him lock it in, find a good number and trust it" He moves the needle amongst tour players, especially now because the guys playing grew up watching this guy. Plus they are all fairly cognizant of the fact that a rising tide lifts all boats, in that tiger brings in money which they all reap from.

Now this part is strictly conjecture, and opinions of mine and our semi regular group and just my gasbag opinions.

Here is the scary part, and we discussed this (between myself and my friend who is a two time PGA Tour winner, a buddy who has won 3 majors and his son over a round Monday after the PGA), I think Tiger truly believes that he will win. Yeah before obviously he said, I can win again or compete yada yada, but there is some positive self talk in there to build yourself up. And we all pointed to one shot, remember this conversation happened after the PGA this year, but that 9 iron on 15 to a foot. That was a cardinal moment (see what I did there? Cardinal=paramount and Stanford Cardinals) that I think we, and even he himself, might look back on and say, "That was it" and he got going again. Not because of the shot he hit, but because of the look he had walking up to the green which is something that I will always remember. He looked night and day different than from when I saw him a couple weeks previous the WGC in Akron. It is something that will stick in my head forever.

Very interesting that despite the constant criticism he receives, most of it personal or lacking any critical analysis, Brandel Chamblee is highly respected.

he misfires occasionally, but that's because he's actually talking a lot about golf ... more than most ...

This is good stuff and great questions. I'd take 10 wins for sure. You could win one major and fall off the tour. Like a YE Yang.

Ya but i still remember YE Yang and probably always will. Couldnt tell you who has 10 tour wins and no majors. The only thing that makes it somewhat close is the financial implications of winning 10 tour events.. but for me its Majors > Money

Especially if it’s the Masters and you get to return every year for decades.

How many players have won 10 times or more on the PGA tour (not Europe or any other tour) and NOT won a major? I can't think of any.

Betting is supposed to reflect the whims of the public (bookies want 50/50 action in general)...TW is a little better than a 2/3 favorite, but per these players it should be at 1/4 or higher. Not sure if it means TW is a good bet or not, but it would seem so?

You would think the the book makers would want to set a line whereby the bets came in 50/50 and guarantee themselves the vig but that isn't the case. The books often gamble along with the public. The public bets a lot on Tiger so the books can keep his odds lower than the true odds knowing they will still get a lot of action on him. Betting on Tiger is a bad bet. I had Rose at +500 to win the BMW and he collapsed at the end.

This is one thing I think could easily be remedied IMHO. Why not have one tournament a year with a limited flight golf ball on a much shorter, tighter course. Everyone receives the same exact ball. Max drive is 275sh. Put the emphasis on shot making and not annihilating the ball 360+ Playing some of the most classic and iconic courses around the country could be fun.

Also, why not have a tournament where they play with clubs that are older in style? Persimmon driver and 3 wood. Irons wouldn't be all that different I suppose. I like the limited ball tournament idea more...I think

TOUR SETUPS ARE GENERALLY…

…TOO SHORT: 0%

…TOO LONG: 7%

…ABOUT RIGHT: 93%

“Tour setups are typically, well, too lame.”

“Fact: No one bitches when they’re leading the tournament

They would never go to persimmon/balata because it would screw up the swing too much.

DJ's lead in that talent question is interesting. I don't think he is more talented than Rory. I've seen them play side by side and Rory's talent is insane for such a small guy. He hits it just as far as DJ.

He's an athlete and a gunslinger though!

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Only because he beat Tiger.

If Yang beat Thomas Bjorn, he would take a google search to remember.

DJ's lead in that talent question is interesting. I don't think he is more talented than Rory. I've seen them play side by side and Rory's talent is insane for such a small guy. He hits it just as far as DJ.

He's an athlete and a gunslinger though!

I think it’s because DJ always has an aura around him that he doesn’t want to be there or just generally gives no fucks that this is the talent he was unfortunately blessed with and yet he still makes it look so begrudgingly easy.

That said, he might have actually been No. 1 in that category a few years ago, but that ship has sailed.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

DO YOU FEEL YOUR OWN PACE OF PLAY IS ACCEPTABLE?

YES: 100%

NO: 0%

lolololol.

This was my reaction as well.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

How many players have won 10 times or more on the PGA tour (not Europe or any other tour) and NOT won a major? I can't think of any.

Matt Kuchar, Steve Stricker, Kenny Perry.

Those "insiders" have as much knowledge about how many majors Tiger will win going forward as you do. Which is to say, none.

Everybody's entitled to his opinion, but the idea that ordinary-guy opinion is just as good as expert opinion is why health care scams work (and I could give many more examples from current headlines, but I don't want to get banned again).

A similar poll was taken last year, even before Tiger withdrew from the Dubai, and 72% said Tiger would never win another major, compared to 90% saying he will this time around. And Tiger didn't even make the fairly long list for best ball-striker last year, while he's second this year. So they apparently do consider the evidence.

But it's true they're not completely objective. A significant percentage say other players are cheaters and/or are too slow, but 0% say they are.

Majors vs wins will depend on what they've already done. DJ already has over ten wins and was #1 in the world, so the fact that he has only one major is embarrassing, so he'd take the major. On the other hand, Tiger only needs four wins to pass Snead for first on the all-time list, but a 15th major wouldn't do anything for him, if it's his last.

Lol. I thought this board consisted of golf fans

Sneds also, right?

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"