2019 Rules

MikekiM

Was reading through some of the rules changes for 2019 and this one stood out.

Rule 10.2b

Restriction on Your Caddie Standing Behind You. When you begin taking your stance for the stroke and until your stroke is made:

• Your caddie must not deliberately stand on or close to an extension of your line of play behind your ball for any reason.

• If you take a stance in breach of this Rule, you cannot avoid penalty by backing away.

If I'm not mistaken this would be a noticeable rule change for next year. I think the current rule allows the caddie in the line up until the swing begins. The rule change seems to change that. Hopefully this should help pace of play.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule 10.2b

Restriction on Your Caddie Standing Behind You. When you begin taking your stance for the stroke and until your stroke is made:

• Your caddie must not deliberately stand on or close to an extension of your line of play behind your ball for any reason.

• If you take a stance in breach of this Rule, you cannot avoid penalty by backing away.

If I'm not mistaken this would be a noticeable rule change for next year. I think the current rule allows the caddie in the line up until the swing begins. The rule change seems to change that. Hopefully this should help pace of play.

This rule will really help in junior golf. Last US kids tournament a few weeks ago they were telling everyone after Jan 1st this rule will be in effect.

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will be mad since they can’t do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.

Rule 10.2b

This rule will really help in junior golf. Last US kids tournament a few weeks ago they were telling everyone after Jan 1st this rule will be in effect.

No more lining up shots or putts!!! I am sure some parents will be mad since they can’t do it and their kids will not win. I expect we will see scores go up in the younger ages a lot.

Alignment sticks are going to be out of stock everywhere. LOL

That's actually prohibited also with that same rule

No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. You must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down to help in lining up your feet or body.

Rule 10.2b

Alignment sticks are going to be out of stock everywhere. LOL

That's actually prohibited also with that same rule

No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. You must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down to help in lining up your feet or body.

There are going to be some triggered caddies on our local tour...especially if they didn’t make themselves aware beforehand.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

You're assuming they don't create a local rule, it really wouldn't surprise me if they did.

There aren't any model Local Rules for that.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

According the local tour director, pace of play will go faster for for kids 9+ and go slower for kids 8 and under.

She doesn't believe it really changed anything in the overall big picture. :taunt:

I can see how it could easily add to pace in the younger groups. More off-line hits, bad putts,etc. Certainly will lead to more honest scores, but if it adds 2 strokes to every hole, that can only hurt pace of play.

According the local tour director, pace of play will go faster for for kids 9+ and go slower for kids 8 and under.

She doesn't believe it really changed anything in the overall big picture. :taunt:

I can see how it could easily add to pace in the younger groups. More off-line hits, bad putts,etc. Certainly will lead to more honest scores, but if it adds 2 strokes to every hole, that can only hurt pace of play.

Aligning kids up for every shot and putt already takes a long time especially if they do it for every shot. Even kids under 9 can hit the green in 2 or 3 shots without much help especially when the course is only 1500 yards or so. I haven't seen too many kids under 9 though who can read a green so putting will go up but at the same time kids may be quicker there too since they just go up and bang the putt.

You would be assuming that parents/kids at the US kids level in know about the rules in the first place. Lately, it has become almost a joke. There are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate.

You would be assuming that parents/kids at the US kids level in know about the rules in the first place. Lately, it has become almost a joke. There are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate.

You mean like hitting OB and playing as a lateral hazard? Yeah. Those people.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That rule is changing too under local rules. I wouldn't want to use it since it's 2 penalty strokes though but I expect it will confuse a lot people if you go back and hit off the tee for 1. I am going to assume junior tournaments like US Kids locals will adopt this rule since it may help speed up play.

http://www.usga.org/...d-distance.html

That rule is changing too if they allow it for local rules. I am going to assume a junior tournaments will adopt this rule.

http://www.usga.org/...d-distance.html

I think they will for local one day tournaments. I don't think they will be able to for 36+ hole ranked tournaments. Will cause too many problems with rankings. One kid can get stroke and distance in one tournament while another gets a lateral drop in another. Has to be equal across the board.

I think they will for local one day tournaments. I don't think they will be able to for 36+ hole ranked tournaments. Will cause too many problems with rankings. One kid can get stroke and distance in one tournament while another gets a lateral drop in another. Has to be equal across the board.

In most cases I would think it would be better to go back and play stroke and distance. I can only think of a few dog tracks over the years where you need this rule. To me this appeals to weekend club golfers who can't hit off the tee with a driver for the most part.

In most cases I would think it would be better to go back and play stroke and distance. I can only think of a few dog tracks over the years where you need this rule. To me this appeals to weekend club golfers who can't hit off the tee with a driver for the most part.

You are crazy. Penalty and Distance might as well be two penalty strokes. More than likely not getting it up and down for any less than double. Taking a lateral still gives a great chance for a bogey.

That’s about like every parent we play with in 6U. One didn’t want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, “Oh, we’re playing that way?”.

That's about like every parent we play with in 6U. One didn't want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, "Oh, we're playing that way?".

And you reply- 'By the rules?- Yes!!!'

You are crazy. Penalty and Distance might as well be two penalty strokes. More than likely not getting it up and down for any less than double. Taking a lateral still gives a great chance for a bogey.

Thinking about it again I think your right. I didn’t think this through counting the strokes I was thinking why would you take 2 strokes.

That's about like every parent we play with in 6U. One didn't want to count a tap that went about 3 inches, I called him out on it and he says, "Oh, we're playing that way?".

Was the kid getting a 10 every hole or was he competitive? If a kid is hacking it all over the place I'm not going to worry about the tap.

Was the kid getting a 10 every hole or was he competitive? If a kid is hacking it all over the place I'm not going to worry about the tap.

Ehhhh.... they have to learn somewhere. Just because they aren't competitive doesn't mean they don't play by all the rules. I have a good story about this, but don't have enough time to type it out today. Long story short, if you are competing then you call it.

Ehhhh.... they have to learn somewhere. Just because they aren't competitive doesn't mean they don't play by all the rules. I have a good story about this, but don't have enough time to type it out today. Long story short, if you are competing then you call it.

Exactly. If my kid moves the ball, I’m calling it and expect others to as well.

True true. My buddy called us on riding the cart during a hole about a year back. Cost us the tourney and I was pissed but rules are rules and my son shot 31 on him to win the tour championship. :)

True true. My buddy called us on riding the cart during a hole about a year back. Cost us the tourney and I was pissed but rules are rules and my son shot 31 on him to win the tour championship. :)

Hopefully they gave you a warning before the penalty as that is in us kids rules. (you would have to ride the cart more than once to get the penalty)

But way to seek revenge with a low score.

Hopefully they gave you a warning before the penalty as that is in us kids rules. (you would have to ride the cart more than once to get the penalty)

No warning. I had no idea it was a rule so he called it on us at the scoring table lol

No warning. I had no idea it was a rule so he called it on us at the scoring table lol

The parent who called it on you was probably saying to himself in the car ride home "there are a lot of noob's out there who have never played tournament golf before and their parents haven't taken it upon themselves to get familiar with any of the rules, which is unfortunate." :lol:

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

We'll just agree to disagree. My son was paired with an autistic kid a couple times this year. He's not able to keep his emotions in check and usually comes in dead last every event. So while it sounds like you golf dads would call him out to "teach him that rules are rules", I'll continue to ignore certain things. He doesn't cheat, he's just really struggles in golf and in life.

Calling penalty strokes at the table? He needs to get a life.

Rule 10.2b

I’m not so sure this will change much. They will still line the ball up for the kid every time. Just won’t do it while they are in their stance about to putt. To get around this rule, if the player sets up and is misaligned the caddie could just have the kid mark it and adjust accordingly, right?

well you really got screwed then. Should have been a warning if it is the first breech.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/state/cart-policy

• 1 month later...