MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges! See What Members Are Saying!

We have 10 GolfWRX members testing out the new Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and ready to report back with their findings. The members testing are...

jcorna01

rtraudt

sdandrea

DTown3011

Minarets

snagy2000

Spooky67

dek

J-Tizzle

M910

They will be posting their reviews shortly and make sure you ask them any questions you might have on the new RTX 4 wedges!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grats y’all on being selected to review the RTX 4. I’m really interested in seeing how each person likes them. I’ve thought about maybe switching to these this fall into next year. Gaming TM MGs right now

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

First, I would like to thank Golf WRX for the opportunity to review these. Never been selected over the 10+ years around here and never thought I would, so it CAN happen to you, too!

On to the RTX4. I am a 7.7 HC and work a lot on my short game but could always get better, no doubt. I have never used a Cleveland wedge in all my years of golf. I’m 37 years old and been playing since i was 23. Used to think wedges didn’t really matter when I started playing and even up to about 8 years ago I thought i could get by with worn out grooves on old wedges. I remember reading all the way back to the 588 but for some reason something else had always caught my eye.

I do not replace my wedges every year (like you should, I guess) but more like every 3 years. I am currently playing the original Ping Glide and have been super happy with them. I also just ordered a 54°M and 58°D SM7 prior to being selected for this review.

I have had only one practice session and 1 round in since receiving the 60° Raw, full grind RTX4 and I can say the SM7 will have to really perform as this thing has been sweet early on.

From the pics you can tell I went Raw 60° full and it had a R i95 Steelfiber shaft as that’s what I play with my irons.

After the round, early morning round so lots a few, the finish is already starting to come off.

While practicing the feel wasn’t soft but crisp. I usually prefer soft but this was an addicting crispness that I didn’t really feel from the Glides. Like an expectation of a well struck shot, kind of feel. I was only practicing chipping and no full shots yet but I prefer to use my old 58° around the green and only a lower lifted wedge on 60-80 yard shots. The 50 yard and in I like using my old 58°. I live in the south east and grinds always get me. We have tight lies in the summer when it hot and dried out and fluffier conditions in the spring and fall with the rain. Also with poor education, I’ve always tried low bounce wedges to help me when opening the face and not considering that bounce helps me from digging in the sand or in the fluffiest of turf. That is why I went with the 60° full in the RTX4.

The two sand shots I hit were as good as any I’ve hit. Probably wouldn’t use a 60° for fairway bunkers but for greenside the bounce and the spin were great. Almost feel like a honeymoon phase there. Look forward to more sand testing.

Around the green the same results. My distance control was better than I expected with limited practice. But over all the rollout and distance was expected with my chips from around the green. I did hit 1 shot from 40 yards out and it hit and stopped on a dime. Cool.

Not sure why I’ve never considered these in the past but it def has my eye now. Especially since I could order a Steelfiber in it which I couldn’t with the SM7.

Will update more with more play.

Thanks for reading.

98dee77ba289336e241fbc7da1959535.jpg1d257997c516aad5e827999786dc00b0.jpg3915bac329e558f442dafe818196c3ba.jpg863a3c342f2b2881a0959b94789a5404.jpg82d33fcdc88f89e5fc7a40bdee4b2f8b.jpgfe637a194285f6046c83c3c0a8d83d5e.jpg

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

First and foremost- THANK YOU Cleveland Golf and WRX for this opportunity!!

• I'm an 11 handicap, 66 year old short knocker who depends heavily on short game to play well.
  • I have alternated between classic PING Eye 2 wedges and Cleveland CG wedges for decades.
  • My current wedge set up was a PING Eye 2 50* and a PING Eye 2 Gorge 56*
  • I got the 56/10 with the stock steel shaft in wedge flex with the GP grip in midsize
  • Full sole grind
  • Playing length is 35.5" (using a measuring tape) and Swingweight is D4 on my scale
  • Cleveland must have known about my toe misses - they put some nice milling out there! (last humorous comment - I promise)

Got 18 holes in today with the new wedge. I got to use the wedge on 6 holes today, only one sand shot. The other 5 shots were pitches/chips around the green from both fairway and rough lies. No full shots yet. Here are my observations.

• The feel is awesome. Not significantly better than a Cleveland CG15 (which is awesome), but this head/shaft/grip combo provided a nice solid feel.
  • The club is beautiful to my eye. I love this finish, but the satin and black look great to me as well. I love the way the face looks at address behind a ball - confidence inspiring.
  • The single sand shot I had today was from a nicely groomed bunker with a good lie. I laid the face open, took my normal swing and got a good result. The shot landed where I was aiming and only released a few feet, leaving me with a 4 footer that I missed (arrgh). There's not much more I can say at this point.
  • This club really shined on the pitch shots. Very confidence inspiring at address and the sole grind worked well for me on the zoysia grass fairways and bermuda rough I was in today. The ball flies and releases properly for a 56 degree wedge.
  • This is the first Cleveland wedge I have used with a sole this wide. Being a fan of the old PING Eye 2 design, the transition to this grind was easy for me. I included a picture of both the PING and RTX4 below for comparison.

Consider this an initial review. I am looking forward to more sand use and some full shots from the rough and fairway to really run this club through it's paces. Stand by for more!

20180904_170503.jpg20180904_170551.jpg20180905_074708.jpg20180905_074742.jpg20180904_170610.jpg20180905_075445.jpg20180905_075428.jpg

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I'd like to thank Cleveland golf and Golf WRX for this outstanding opportunity! I truly appreciate it and hope to provide an "average joe" review of a tour inspired wedge. Will it be too much club for an average player? Read on and find out:

Selection- I received a PM from knudson81 letting me know I had been selected to participate in the review process. He asked me to provide my preference of:

Loft, grind, finish, shaft, length, and grip. I was bit overwhelmed with all of those options so I decided to keep it simple. I wanted to review the club totally stock, how you would likely find it configured in a store if you just stopped in and had a look. I went with a 54deg, Mid sole (10deg bounce), Tour raw finish, stock S400 Tour Issue shaft, and stock Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip.

Arrival- The club arrived packaged securely as you would expect from any major manufacturer. I opened the box and was impressed right away. Visually the club is outstanding. Clean lines, modern fonts to denote the model, loft, sole, and bounce, and the classic Cleveland logo.

I had read up on the RTX4 prior to being selected as a reviewer and gathered that these wedges would be Cleveland's effort to release a Tour inspired wedge to the retail market. Stock shaft, lower bounce options and no higher bounce options, as well as head size/shape were all cited as features that the Cleveland Tour players prefer. My only suggestion/preference would have been that in keeping with Tour preferences that the grip would have come logo side down. The shaft band was down, it would have been a nice touch and cleaned up the look a bit if the grip logo was down too.

A little info on my play and current wedges- I'm a high capper, a little above 18, average 95 or thereabouts on my home course-72.5/141. I wind up with a lot of full wedge shots into greens. Usually 110 to 80yds is a common distance as my second shot into a par 4. I rely more on full shots and pitches versus chipping as the bread and butter of my wedge game.

My current wedges are Callaway. I play a mix of X Forged vintage, Mack Daddy forged and Jaws X series. I play the stock wedge flex shaft that most of these came with, the exception is the MDs that came with the S200 tour issue. I chose the 54 deg to test as I could go head to head in loft with my current go to wedge around the green, as well as full shots from 80-100yds.

First round- I took the RTX4 with me on Sunday for 18. I did a mix of using as a primary club for some shots and also playing shots against my current 54deg. If I had a tough shot close to the green, I'd play my current 54 then drop another ball and see how the RTX4 compared. If you notice I mentioned only doing that around the green, that's because the RTX4 took the full shot crown on No.1 and held it for the rest of the round. Full shots for me with this thing we're the best I have hit in recent memory....maybe life long memory. Some details:

Balls: 2017 Srixon Zstar XVs

Swing Weight- the RTX4 is D5 and most of my Callaway are D4 The RTX4 feels heavy and substantial in the hand, it inspired confidence on full shots from any lie.

Shaft- The True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue eclipsed every other wedge shaft I have played in one round. Full shots were incredible for me. I was not used to the heavy, mid, penetrating ball flight I got from this set up, but it was perfect. I want this shaft in every wedge I play now.

Spin- I understand that spin is a combination of club, ball, and swing. That being said I had to quickly adjust to the level of spin that was produced with the RTX4. I had a 85yd shot in that bounced right by the cup and then spun back off the green and down the slope in front of the green. I've never spun a ball like that. I'm a one hop and stop, or at the most one hop back up a bit, but to see a ball spin like that one did was crazy. I realize that this wedge is new, with new grooves and my gamers are not new, but they were at one time and again, I've never generated spin like that. I will have to be aware and work to control some of it going forward on full shots for sure.

Ball flight- as I mentioned it was a powerful, mid trajectory, penetrating ball flight with plenty of spin. I am used to high shots the drop and stop from my current wedges. There was one shot, the ball was in a depression and I was under a tree. The ball had to come out low and fly over a trap to a green that was elevated. This wedge produced that shot. Don't think I could have pulled that off with my current gamers.

Chipping- here is where I struggled with this club. Of course it's my first round with it but chipping, with this club, for me, did not stand out like full shots and pitches did. Chipping around the green I preferred my Jaws 54/12 or my X-Forged vintage 58/9. The grinds on the Callaways just seemed to interact with the turf better- for me, that day. That being said the full shots for me were incredible and this club will be in the bag on that alone, I hope some time with it will help me chip better with it. I will continue to test this club and update any changes. Club after one round:

More to come.

Dang, missed out. Good luck with the review guys.

I still have my RTX3 cavity backs, they were great but I've bought into the Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizers, just before these RTX4s came out. So far my Equalizers are $$$ compared to the RTX3 so I'll be curious to see how & what improvements Cleveland made from 3.0 to 4.0 particularly the turf interaction on hard pans (drop some comparison here). The Equalizers with the vsole EXCEL in this part over the RTX3s. Cheers :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Will report back this weekend after some range and course time.

*UPDATE*

52* with 10 Mid Bounce S400 shaft.

25 handicap.

Saturday (high 80s and dry) Range - chipped around for about 45min.

Look: Club looks amazing but honestly didn't realize what tour raw meant. This comes into play Sunday afternoon.

Feel: Chipping from within 10yds and short grass was solid. 15 yards in med grass was solid and the ball checked up very well. 20yds in high grass the grooves felt amazing and I could really see the ball come out and spin.

Comfort: Felt a little heavier than I'm used to coming from a ping Tour W. s400 shaft was about for my swing style. I really liked the smaller grooves near the toe.

Performance: It was very consistent. I'm going to assume that it is the bounce. I took the swing back to 8 o'clock and got the ball in a small consistent cluster. I was not able to do this with my Pings.

Sound: solid is probably the best way to describe it for me. There was a solid click that I really appreciated. It made me think that my shots were from someone who knew what they were doing.

Saturday (high 80s and dry) Range - 30min off grass aiming at about 110yd flag.

Look: NO CHANGE

Feel: Full shots were solid! I was confident after about 10min I knew it was staying in the bag. I need more time with it but I can tell you know that I'm confident that if I have a 60yd (club brought back to 9 o'clock) or 115yd shot, I can rely on this club.

Comfort: Still feels a little heavier than I'm used to but gripping down, my usually grip, helps me.

Performance: Similar to feel, the club really performed with consistent distance. I could see that fresh grooves helped in full shots making the balls roll out less.I also noticed that the flight of the ball seemed a little higher.

Sound: NO CHANGE - Still a solid click on contact which brought confidence.

Sunday 18 holes (60s dry with 6am dew) in New England.

Look: The club started to show signs of rust but that's the Tour Raw finish. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to leave it or keep it clean and well oiled. If it affects performance then I'll start oiling but I like the look.

Feel: Having some range time the day prior, I was confident in each swing. Each strike felt solid and a few times I was about 110-120yds out and able to get the ball close but not always on the green.

Comfort: I never once looked down at address and thought anything outside of, "this is a nice wedge"

Performance: Each strike felt solid and a few times I was about 110-120yds out and able to get the ball close but not always on the green. around the greens I was able to get the ball to sit nicely but I'm still getting used to the idea of the ball not rolling out as far. i'm a high handicapper so I hit maybe 1 or 2 greens in regulation while the rest was chipping around or coming out of a bunker.

TL : DR

Grooves on the face are nice and the will milling near the toe was very cool to see. I'm not sure if i noticed a performance difference with toe milling but it was nice to see the whole thing have some ability to produce a spin.The wedge was solid going from fairway to my usual thick rough. This is my first cleveland wedge outside of wasting sales reps time at demo day. It's going to stay in the bag and I know I'm just going to get more and more comfortable with the swing weight and performance. I cannot wait to find a cleveland replacement for my 60. I'll keep updating as best I can with more time in play.

Thank you WRX and Cleveland for this.

Thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland/Srixon for this opportunity! I usually don't enter giveaways but this one had my interest as I am currently in the market for new wedges so the timing seemed ideal. I have not played or even considered a Cleveland wedge since my original 588's back in high school and have to admit the RTX4's had my interest from the moment I saw them. I'm excited to be picked for this opportunity and hope to provide some great feedback for everyone. As I mentioned, timing is ideal as I JUST picked up a brand new set of Callaway MD4 raw that I can compare these to side by side. The specs I ordered on mine are identical to the MD4 wedge which should provide a great comparison. I went with:

Cleveland RTX4 60.09

Mid Bounce Grind

Tour Raw Finish

KBS 610 120 S shaft

GP MCC Plus 4 Grip

The wedge arrived over Labor Day weekend but unfortunately I was out of town and I've been in Seattle the past few days on business so just returned home today to open the box. Here are a few photos and a comparison with the MD4 raw - will report back once I have a chance to put both through the paces! Initial thoughts is that the Cleveland has a very high end look and finish right out of the box. Also, the face is VERY impressive, with the laser milling and the spin mill on the toe. I personally think it looks more "aggressive" than the Callaway wedge but time will tell if that's the case!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

A few more thoughts:

Top line- the RTX4 has a slightly thicker top line than the Callaway X-forged vintage, and the Callaway Mack Daddy forged. 6mm for the RTX4 to 5mm for the Callaways. I was surprised the measured difference was that small as it just looks a little thicker. Not a problem for me, just an observation.

Offset- I noticed very little offset with the RTX4, it seems similar to the X-forged, a little more offset than the Mack Daddy forged, but definitely less than the X series Jaws. Not a big deal to me but again, just more information.

Finish- I chose the Tour Raw which is designed to rust. I like the look of a raw wedge, the X-forged vintage has a great look and I hope the RTX4 changes over time to have that type of look. I'm not a fan of "rusty" so I usually remove it when it shows up on my Callaways so I hope the RTX4 responds to the method I use to do so.

Thoughts so far- I plan to put this in the bag and leave my current 54 at home this weekend. So my wedge set up will be Callaway Mack Daddy forged 50/10, Celeveland RTX4 54/10 mid, and Callaway X-forged 58/9. More to come.

@Spooky67 - I agree that these things have an impressive amount of spin. I'm surprised that you found these have more spin than the X-Jaws. For the life of me, I have never spun a ball more than I did when I played those wedges. I stopped playing them because the grooves were too sharp and were literally taking chunks out of my ball.

Keep up the great reviews!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

@Spooky67 - I agree that these things have an impressive amount of spin. I'm surprised that you found these have more spin than the X-Jaws. For the life of me, I have never spun a ball more than I did when I played those wedges. I stopped playing them because the grooves were too sharp and were literally taking chunks out of my ball.

Keep up the great reviews!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I agree with you, I do find pieces of cover in my grooves frequently with my Callaways. I didn’t notice that with the RTX4 but I did notice much more spin, as I mentioned in my initial review, more spin than I have generated before. I am guessing it’s a combination of clubhead and shaft.? Full shots for me with this club are fantastic. I’ll have to work on managing the spin. Disclaimer- I am a high capper so my swings will be inconsistent, but all of my full shots with this wedge were very nice for me.

WARNING: NSFW picture below.

A big thank you to Cleveland and Golfwrx for giving me the opportunity to try out the new RTX4 line.

After my first year of playing golf as a 12 year old kid, my parents bought me my first "real" club to go with my cobbled together set of Dunlop irons and persimmon woods. That club was a Cleveland 588 56* degree wedge, which I continued to play for the next 6 years. The grooves were probably shot after 2, but that wedge was my 100 yards and in club all the way through high school golf. My Dad was a huge Cleveland homer (picture to prove it below).

Broadly speaking, my wedge play is one of the weaker parts of my game, but specifically, I have always had a tough time getting a ball in the air off a tight lie on a partial swing. I'm talking about semi-flop shots over a bunker to a short pin but more so about basic 30-50 yard pitches from the fairway. My handicap has fluctuated between 8-11 this summer, and I know that my inability to get a shot like this in the same zip code as the hole is a big reason why it isn't lower.

My current wedges are Callaway Mack Daddy 2's, and my 58 has 10 degrees of bounce with their S grind. Rather than just pick the most similar Cleveland wedge to compare to my current MD2, I decided to use the tools on their website that aid in selecting a wedge based on what you need/how you swing. I chose:

58*

Tour Raw finish

Stock S400 shaft, Tour Velvet grip

Low sole- 6 degrees of bounce with heel and toe relief

The wedge looks really great. I much prefer the shape to my MD2, although I didn't know it until putting them side by side. The RTX4 has more of a pinched off tear drop shape where the MD2 looks more like an egg. The engravings/graphics on the back are very minimal, which I like.

The feel on full shots is equally as soft as the forged MD2. The feel through the hands/arms is the same. The only "feel" difference I noticed was that the RTX4 was slightly louder, but not by much. I don't tend to hit many full shots with the 58, however.

I hit a bunch of my dreaded pitch shots from a variety of lies. With my MD2, I seem to roll a 3-sided die and it has an equal chance to come up fat, thin, or ok. The RTX4 showed a really big reduction on the thinned shots. I still hit some of them fat, especially in a softer fairway after some rain, but I did see a more consistent strike from standard and dry lies.

Around the green, same story. This wedge did not cure my short game problems, but I experienced a measurable improvement on shots where I would need to open the face a little. On well hit shots, the ball would take one hop and stick. I've pretty much converted my basic chipping to a PW or 8-iron, so I didn't feel the need to hit any of those with a 58*.

Verdict:

I much prefer the RTX4 to my MD2 for the following 2 reasons:

1. I think the grind and bounce are better suited to my game and the kind of shots I want to hit with this club.

2. The shape of the head, to my eye, is much better looking and I think the rusted look will make it even better.

I really appreciate the lengths Cleveland has gone to to provide wedge selection assistance on their site. I think it's important to offer a guide to buyers who may otherwise be paralyzed by so many choices. I was able to watch a short, ~45 second video on each grind as well as 4-5 bullet points explaining which swing/situation each grind might fit.

Thanks again for the opportunity!

Thanks to Cleveland and Golfwrx for offering this to us all. Consider this a place holder for me until I can play with it this weekend. Wedge arrived Tuesday while I was out of town for work. Arrived back late last night to open it up. Will post my full review here tomorrow afternoon when I give this the proper testing against what I am using now. Pics to follow up.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Playing tomorrow morning. Will have more up after the round.

Got 9 in today and carried the RTX4 54/10 mid in place of my gamer 54. Again, really liked it on full shots as well as pitches.

Pitching- the RTX4 excelled here. I think the heavier swingweight helps me with these partial shots, and the spin the club generates helps me hold the green. The trajectory is so low and penetrating I always think I'll be long, but the ball really bites and stops quick. I had a 40yd pitch on 1. and 55yd pitch on 2. And both stopped almost as soon as they hit the green. I'm used to using trajectory to get a stop, but the RTX4 has added a new shot to my wedge game. Here's a pic of the face after today's 9.

Chipping- chipping again for me was inconsistent with this club. I did have a few decent chips, but I also had some bad ones compared to what I'm used to with the 54 Jaws. I also preferred the 58deg X-forged for chips, but like I said, I did have some decent shots with the RTX4 too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the sole and heel? My Callaways seem to have some heel relief that isn't present on the RTX4.?

Bunker play- wound up in a fairway bunker today right under the lip. No way I could do anything except get it out. Opened up the RTX4 and it popped right out. I hope to get more bunker opportunities, especially around the green with this club.

Post round chipping comp, RTX4 54deg versus Xforged 58deg- I played a couple rounds of three balls each, then alternate shot. I was more consistent with the Callaway, but did start to get a feel for the sole of the RTX4.

First three Callaway:

Next three RTX4:

Alternate shot, pretty close. Callaway closest to the hole, RTX4 right behind it-

Despite my chipping inconsistency with this club, it has made the bag. It is too strong on full shots and pitches not to game. I'm sure if I played around with the other sole and bounce options I could find a suitable greenside RTX4 for my game. That being said, I view clubs as role players, so I'll just move to another wedge for greenside shots and use this for pretty much everything else.

Played this morning on a wet course and had some mixed play. I have too much going on right now with clubs. Everything is new but the putter so trying to dial in everything and haven’t had much range time.

The RTX4 was awesome chipping today 6 out of 8 times . The good 6 times and all of them were to tap in range after hitting. The 60 full Raw is great for around the green chipping. That said I had 2 that I had flown the green on and was stuck on a down hill low on an elevated hill behind the hole , two different times. So I have to chip down the hill , short sided on both. So you really have to drive the leasing edge thru the swing or you’ll blade it and send it flying across the green, right? Well that didn’t happen. Instead I slid the wedge almost under the ball, both times, and the ball went like 2’. But stayed in the rough. Really just poor execution, not poor equipment.

Used it for one bunker and I have really been struggling out of sand lately and far from scientific but was 1 for 1 today out of the sand. Popped right out to 4’ and I was on my way after making the putt.

The Raw finish has left the wedge in all the common friction areas. I’ll get some pics later. The face and sole are already down to the Raw finish after 2 rounds. The back of the club is still holding on to some of that bronze color. Also starting to see a little rust if I remember right. I’ll check and post pics.

Let me start off by thanking GolfWRX and Cleveland/Srixon for giving me the opportunity to review the new RTX 4 wedge. After years and years of trying to win a contest on this site, I finally struck gold, and couldn’t be happier for this opportunity.

A little about me, I’m currently a 5.5 index who has played on average 3-4 times a week for the last 4 or 5 years. I’m not a big range rat and enjoy playing way more than I like to practice. Most of my rounds are played around the Houston area and within Texas. As you can imagine, there are a lot of firm lies to be had on these courses. In addition, my home club has a lot of elevated and undulated greens which on average roll at 11.5+ on the stimp meter. Short siding yourself on these greens definitely makes the game a lot more interesting, as your next shot is going to require something with bite if you’re going to have any chance of getting up and down.

In the past, I was a loyal Cleveland irons (CG2) and wedge player, but moved away from the brand with my last Cleveland wedges being the CG15. Since then, I’ve played Ping and most recently Titleist wedges. I currently game Vokey 52.8 (SM6), 58.4 (SM6) and 64.7 (SM4) wedges with KBS Tour shafts and Iomic Sticky 2.3 grips. My Vokey 64 has helped me pull off some pretty amazing shots and cash in on my buddies much to their chagrin. However, as we all do, its age is beginning to show and I recently have entertained thoughts of replacing it. When I found out I won this opportunity, I jumped at the chance of testing the new RTX 4 64.6/low (Raw) with a KBS Tour shaft like my current wedges.

I’ve been able to log 3 rounds with the RTX 4 and have to say I’m very impressed by its feel and performance. Compared to my Vokey (SM4) 64, it has a slightly bigger head, but not enough to make it unappealing to my eyes. The spin generated by this RTX 4 is high volume and I have not been disappointed one bit. The first round out, on the 18th hole par 5, I had a short sided eagle shot from 40 yds on a sloping green. Knowing my only chance to save a birdie was to land my eagle shot just on the green and let it slowly trickle down towards the hole. Low and behold, my flop shot landed just on the green, bit nicely and trickled down right into the hole for eagle. That was a huge smile wiper for my buddy and gave me confidence this club would perform as needed. In the subsequent two rounds, there hasn’t been a time I doubted this club wouldn’t be able to replace my current gamer. As I get more comfortable with this club, and try various shot types, I’ll post more comments about this club’s performance capabilities.

Has anyone had the chance to compare these to the SM7s?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Hi Folks - some of the online feedback on these was that they marked up quickly - anyone notice this in terms of dings or marks?

Very excited to try these!

They're no different than any other wedge...No noticeable marks or dings out of the ordinary on mine...IMO, this isn't a beauty contest..Irons and wedges are blue collar workers who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and get roughed up as needed...Unlike those drama queen woods, hybrids and putters who like to stay pretty with their headcovers on all the time...

Hi Folks - some of the online feedback on these was that they marked up quickly - anyone notice this in terms of dings or marks?

I have about six rounds on mine (Raw 58 XLOW and 54 MID) with a little range time. They are looking just fine.

Finally played in a bit of rain the last couple of days and they are starting to show

some rust. I like the rusty look.

I think the pics in this thread tell the story. Most of us have new and used pics. Mine are new, one full round, 9, and a chipping session. No sandy range sessions, just a bit of on course play. I could see why some might say they mark quickly, but I have the Tour raw finish, so I would expect to see this. Again, as another poster mentioned, it isn’t a big deal IMO.

Apologies, another question - I've usually played DG wedge flex previously but tempted to try the Modus Tour 120 in Stiff - I'm assuming these would be similar flexes with the modus potentially playing a little softer?

Try the S400 tour. I’ve been 100% impressed with this shaft- I come from wedge flexes too- especially on full shots and pitches.

Jcorn, I almost threw up in my mouth seeing the old VAS wedge (J/K). I know someone that still prefers this set over any of the newer tech ones and take my money while looking so bad.

On the other hand, Cleveland should do a refresh of this set as an anniversary item of when Pavin won with these. Lol

They were my dads, I just can’t get rid of them lol.

Rust is coming! Rust is coming!

ec4c7a707701f55cda9399771be248b8.jpgb6f2c43f24d80a6b27914f908c12f41d.jpg9c9792b31bcd8bc7606e9d1e942ae4e8.jpgabcd2877b7439a49e86ed874f822d466.jpg

Has anyone had the chance to compare these to the SM7s?

SM7 are my gamers. I like both. The RTX4 is a totally different grind and ° then my SM7 tho so it slightly difficult to compare. The feel of the raw RTX4 is very nice. Not soft but not clicky.