Would you join a "Just Golf " course.

Scooterboy59

1) Yes

2) No

3) N/A

+1

The current club I'm at has fine dining, lounge, fancy locker room and banquet hall, etc... but I really only use the practice facility and golf course. Only eat in the lounge a few times a year now, and would be just as happy eating elsewhere.

Currently the after 1pm wouldn't work for me, as I have a newish baby at home and the best time for me to golf is early in the morning while she's still sleeping. This metric is very YMMV though.

RE: wife, she doesn't care as long as it doesn't impact her quality of life. I recently requested a membership packet from another club down the road from my current one that will cost about $65k to join (not equity, just initiation)... that was the only time she thought it was a bit much, but since I can't justify it either, it's a non issue.

$65,000 initiation fee and NON- equity?? I have to ask, where do they get away with this?

Basically everywhere in the Northeast.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Yes

2) No

3) N/A

+1

The current club I'm at has fine dining, lounge, fancy locker room and banquet hall, etc... but I really only use the practice facility and golf course. Only eat in the lounge a few times a year now, and would be just as happy eating elsewhere.

Currently the after 1pm wouldn't work for me, as I have a newish baby at home and the best time for me to golf is early in the morning while she's still sleeping. This metric is very YMMV though.

RE: wife, she doesn't care as long as it doesn't impact her quality of life. I recently requested a membership packet from another club down the road from my current one that will cost about $65k to join (not equity, just initiation)... that was the only time she thought it was a bit much, but since I can't justify it either, it's a non issue.

$65,000 initiation fee and NON- equity?? I have to ask, where do they get away with this?

Basically everywhere in the Northeast.

? Truer words have never been spoken. I live in Connecticut and finding a membership at a decent deal is all but impossible

1. Would you join a course that is just golf?

No. Must have tennis.

2. Would you join a course that allows you only to play golf at certain times say after 1 . No real club house privledges. Course is outstanding and national ranked. Dues in the $3000 + range.

No.

3.Could you sell this to your wife?

My wife plays tennis and golf.

1) Welcome to 90% of golf clubs in the UK

Never seen a club with Tennis courts, and fine dining is definitely not an option at most of them.

A "nice club" fees would be about a £1000 - £1500 per annum, but many clubs available for less

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I belong to a "Just Golf" course. My membership is $699 plus tax (i'm 36). So between May and October I get about 60 rounds of golf in. It's basic, no lockers, club storage or any of that. But it's a public course so I don't expect much.

It's a short course at 5900 yards, but it's all hilly and very challenging unless you can drive 300 yrds becuase of lies and such

Good golf course, good practice facility, good snack bar.

Membership requires passing a practical and written test. Nobody plays without passing the test (including wives and kids). Real marshals, who can enforce a modest pace of play. No speed demons, nor slow pokes. :)

No pool, no fancy clubhouse, no tennis courts, or any other fluff. Just hard-core golf.

Anyone want to build one in the Tucson area? :)

Yeah get me the money and I will build it and run it----- I would like to move out that way and get away from all this BS here at the beach---- Sounds like my kind of dream place

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

How do courses like #1 pay for a grounds crew and staff? I always thought a decent amount of a clubs revenue came from the F+B side of the house. Seems like it would be hard to sustain a model where you are getting an A+ greenskeeper/crew *and* the dues are inexpensive *and* there aren't a ton of members.

Sounds great but you wont find anything like that in Northern VA. My wife and I joined a small club that is perfect for us. Small but very nice clubhouse, great bar, small pool. No gym or tennis or anything else.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Most of the memberships are weird down here. If you join one of the few exclusive clubs you get all the perks but at a premium price of course. Now some of the clubs offer "memberships" with reduced rates etc. If some of the courses here have the pool and tennis facilities they are attached to the HOA and they are not included unless you live right there and that is a seperate deal. Even if you join some of the courses here you end up with restricted tee times in the season due to golf package tourist business. Here for the average golfer the best deal is one of the cards with a golf group. You get reduced rates etc and points towards rounds. One group is the Founders Group with 21 courses. Now some of the independent courses here have banded together to form a group with the card and points and all. But still all of them in the Tourist season lean towards the tourist trade and shun the local players that support them year round no matter if you are a "member" or not. Such is the way it is in this Tourist driven area--- I know some WRXers in Florida go through the same thing we do for the same reason

How do courses like #1 pay for a grounds crew and staff? I always thought a decent amount of a clubs revenue came from the F+B side of the house. Seems like it would be hard to sustain a model where you are getting an A+ greenskeeper/crew *and* the dues are inexpensive *and* there aren't a ton of members.

Sounds great but you wont find anything like that in Northern VA. My wife and I joined a small club that is perfect for us. Small but very nice clubhouse, great bar, small pool. No gym or tennis or anything else.

I got enlightened on the F+B side of things a few years back when a friend of mine that was head pro of my home course took a job as F+B manager at a neighboring club and turned that club around. We do not drink but they do have an excellent bar and their food is outstanding. We sometimes go there just to eat. But on the down side of things that course itself has went down hill the last 5 years or so condition wise. What is so bad about the course is that it held a LPGA event for a number of years

1. Would you join a course that is just golf? No pool, tennis, fine dining, gym . It may have a snack bar. Golf course is great and dues are moderate say $2000 a year.

2. Would you join a course that allows you only to play golf at certain times say after 1 . No real club house privledges. Course is outstanding and national ranked. Dues in the $3000 + range.

1. Absolutely

2. Not if I have #1 as an option. Even then I'd have to really think about it vs. any other options I had available (not a fan of limited tee times).

3. Yep. She knows I'll get good value for the money spent, and knows how much I enjoy it.

I'd like #1 to be more of a golf "club" than just a course, but I'd be okay with it purely being just a course (no regular events, etc.) if that's what it took to keep costs reasonable. Also, it'd need to be purely private; if I'm paying to be a "member" and play whenever I want, I shouldn't have to compete with greens-fee players for course time.

Membership requires passing a practical and written test. Nobody plays without passing the test (including wives and kids). Real marshals, who can enforce a modest pace of play. No speed demons, nor slow pokes. :)

No pool, no fancy clubhouse, no tennis courts, or any other fluff. Just hard-core golf.

Yeah get me the money and I will build it and run it----- I would like to move out that way and get away from all this BS here at the beach---- Sounds like my kind of dream place

And I'd help you run it if you wanted. But I'm a poor SOB who had to take early retirement and have no money. Sorry. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

1. Would you join a course that is just golf? No pool, tennis, fine dining, gym . It may have a snack bar. Golf course is great and dues are moderate say $2000 a year.

That describes most golf courses in the UK. They are typically just a course with a pub attached. There are some 'golf and spa' resorts and some where the 'pub' is a particularly upmarket one but most are as you describe. 7-day membership is typically around £1,000 pa.

Most clubs here offer a 5 day membership deal and if you're on a budget or rarely free at the weekends that makes sense. But I'm not sure about the nationally ranked and for that kind of money I want 7-day access a free caddy and personal instructor.

I don't need to. I've never been married. Just lucky, I guess :)

As for how they make money without the extras..most really struggle. I know that ours loses money every year, despite being very popular. Our dining room even attracts a lot of locals out for a Sunday lunch. Luckily the owner doesn't seem to mind but he might be able to offset it from our sister club. He has said a few times that the handful of chalets at that course are what allow it to make money.

And I'd help you run it if you wanted. But I'm a poor SOB who had to take early retirement and have no money. Sorry. :)

I can relate to the poor SOB part. After all I am an ex Mini Tour player living in a trailer park in "Poor Man's Hawaii" and driving a truck for a living now :taunt:

I belong to an option #1 club. Semi private Arnold Palmer course, with no pool, no tennis, no food minimum, just golf.

Seeing your location if you do not mind which course? I was born and raised in Charlotte so I am real familiar with the area. Used to take weekend trips to Tanglewood quite a bit and used to play Bryan Park near Greensboro quite a bit too. Played a fantastic course probably 30 years or so ago near Burlington the weekend it opened up can not remember the name. My lifelong friend's FIL was from the Burlington area and had some connections. I remember our 4some was the first group off and we used to play fast. We got done and headed to Bryan Park played 18 that day there too. Never stayed at that course for the free lunch etc we were all about playing golf

1) Yes

2) No

3) N/A

+1

Depends on facilities and course(s). I visit PGA West when time allows. Love that it has multiple courses, excellent facilities for a family, and it's non-equity, corporate owned, has a similar initiation with monthly dues over $1000. There are a few other courses in Coachella Valley with similar numbers, except NOT as many courses as PGA West.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

The only way any of this would work is if your wife loves golf as much as you, or the money is not an issue. But money is an issue. Lol

Only acceptable option here in Texas is option 1. Less than 200 for unrestricted golf only is a great deal if you play often.

The second deal in my opinion is bad all around. First of all they are selling you restricted play for a reason. The club is needing to fill those time slots and they came up with this ripoff plan for people with too much cash on hand. Don’t be their victim.

The whole point of joining a club is to have unlimited access to a courses FULL facilities. And the only way this works is for the facilities to be available whenever YOU ARE. That is the tradeoff. You guarantee them a monthy income in return for unlimited use of their facilities. Two sides to this contract.

Golf is no different than joining a gym. Nobody at 24 hr Fitness ever gave me a schedule. Why accept restrictions for a club 5 times more expensive?

For people answering that they belong to a club like the one described in #1, are these private clubs? Or public courses with a membership option?

Here in Denmark almost all clubs are member-owned and initiation fees are rare. The cost of a membership in my club is around 1000usd annually, no restrictions.

We own the land and buildings, have a semiprivate pro with shop, administrative staff of 1,5 and groundskeepers we have 6. The Restaurant is private

Around 600 members paying full membership is juuust about enough

Other clubs rent land/buildings from a private owner.

For people answering that they belong to a club like the one described in #1, are these private clubs? Or public courses with a membership option?

Here in Denmark almost all clubs are member-owned and initiation fees are rare. The cost of a membership in my club is around 1000usd annually, no restrictions.

We own the land and buildings, have a semiprivate pro with shop, administrative staff of 1,5 and groundskeepers we have 6. The Restaurant is private

Around 600 members paying full membership is juuust about enough

Other clubs rent land/buildings from a private owner.

Starting to see golf in America is quite expensive. Not only that, the courses are all the same layout.

Jesus I wish I could find #1 out here in Arizona, that wasn't absurdly priced

Arizona is not that high priced when you do the math though. A club in Minnesota for example the dues may be a bit less per month...but you are paying for 12 months and playing just 7. And, as I am sure you know, the big difference is water. Many parts of the country get their water for free. It is called rain. :) Here it is a massive part of the budget.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Yes to all.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

OT, but I hope Big Stu is somewhere safe.

Thanks old buddy we are safe prepared and hunkered down at our home. We are veterans of this sort of thing