Blades and the search for "game improvement"

QuintupleBogey

Is an interesting topic, but to me golf is a game, if I want to have hard time, I go back to work and forget retirement, lol.....

I’ll take advantage of every single piece of technology available, damn skippy! The only exception is my putter, I will continue to use my 330g forever.

why? why not get a putter that will help you make more putts?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great point and gives both "sides" a place to meet in the middle imo. I recently reached a new plateau of sorts and am consistently in the low 80s, high 70s. OL irons, huge driver and good putting. The biggest thing to get from 86 to 78 however? A range finder I suspect. What am I waiting on? A new set of hogan blacks. I know a lot of you guys are low single digits but I'm finding fairways and greens kinda boring; I want to be standing 190 out with a tiny four iron in my hand with the wind howling scared sh!tless knowing that I need to hit it just right.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Some of the best ball flight and distance control I've ever seen was by Colin Montgomerie and Lee Westwood. At the time one had original Big Berthas and the other Zing 2's. It's really not about the irons but the individuals using them.

Didn't Annika use those GIs too? Maybe x-12/14s? Yes a quick google does show that.

Not comparing us to them, but above folks have made the 'pros' reference.

Apologies in advance. As great as all three of those players are/were, (I’m always pulling for Westy even now) there will always be a part of me that wonders how much better they could have been....

Watching Sky trying to get Monty to hit a draw on the 10th tee at Augusta on their simulator was painful to watch...the closest he got was a 3 yard fade. All of those players are acutely aware of their strengths and weaknesses and are very good at playing to them...but I still wonder...

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?

There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.

Funny that. I thought it was because of the flat earth/blade society - who have their own thread that we all play nice with and let it not get locked - who crawl out of it to come start fights before scurrying back to their safe place, where they can tee-hee-hee about all the fools playing anything that doesn't come with a set 2 iron.

Different perspectives eh ;)

Duff.. i dont think that thread is still open because you ( as in we not you alone) allow it to be... go troll it..wait 2 hours and see who gets the warning... which is as it should be... Same as one has to be careful in a PXG thread if you arent a fan etc etc .... no one group should be able to ruin topics... This topic was a discussion request by the OP..so both ideas invited.. Why does one faction always feel the need to throw a rock into the crowd ? And ill say it ..its sometimes from either side.

Its a particularly interesting topic to me because ive tried out many different irons this season...and my scores continued to rise until i went back to some old faithfuls. why? I cant tell you exactly... just to say that i get into a habit of smashing the ball with more forgiving stuff... And i also find it very hard to know where i hit some irons unless theres a ball mark on the face. And im being as serious and genuine as i can be. I truly tried to find a "forgivng" iron i could improve my game with , or at least make easier feeling..And ive yet again failed miserably.

Am i saying that i tried because i was struggling? NO! quite the opposite.. I had been strking everything the best of my life all winter and far into the spring. Then you think " if i could get a forgiving iron that i hit this well what a stress free game this could be".... but i do not think it exists ... The smaller thinner iron requires precision to score with and im apparently able to do what is required there..BUT somewhere around 2 weeks into trying out anything larger that precision seems to leave me... why ? I do not know. Yet i proved once again that i can swap back.. practice everyday for around 2 weeks and then shoot par or under like flipping a switch ... The reason it such a curiosity to me is that i dont now why this happens. But its happened 3 separate times to me and others post the same ..Yet were told that were crazy etc ..... anyone have any thoughts that are similar ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Also - why would the thread be locked? Have I broken any rules or is it simply that this topic is so over-discussed that the moderators are bored to death with it?

There's a contingent of cavity back holy warriors on WRX, who think anyone who is not scratch is delusionial or merely ego driven, if they choose to play blades.

Funny that. I thought it was because of the flat earth/blade society - who have their own thread that we all play nice with and let it not get locked - who crawl out of it to come start fights before scurrying back to their safe place, where they can tee-hee-hee about all the fools playing anything that doesn't come with a set 2 iron.

Duff.. i dont think that thread is still open because you ( as in we not you alone) allow it to be... go troll it..wait 2 hours and see who gets the warning... which is as it should be... Same as one has to be careful in a PXG thread if you arent a fan etc etc .... no one group should be able to ruin topics... This topic was a discussion request by the OP..so both ideas invited.. Why does one faction always feel the need to throw a rock into the crowd ? And ill say it ..its sometimes from either side.

Its a particularly interesting topic to me because ive tried out many different irons this season...and my scores continued to rise until i went back to some old faithfuls. why? I cant tell you exactly... just to say that i get into a habit of smashing the ball with more forgiving stuff... And i also find it very hard to know where i hit some irons unless theres a ball mark on the face. And im being as serious and genuine as i can be. I truly tried to find a "forgivng" iron i could improve my game with , or at least make easier feeling..And ive yet again failed miserably.

Am i saying that i tried because i was struggling? NO! quite the opposite.. I had been strking everything the best of my life all winter and far into the spring. Then you think " if i could get a forgiving iron that i hit this well what a stress free game this could be".... but i do not think it exists ... The smaller thinner iron requires precision to score with and im apparently able to do what is required there..BUT somewhere around 2 weeks into trying out anything larger that precision seems to leave me... why ? I do not know. Yet i proved once again that i can swap back.. practice everyday for around 2 weeks and then shoot par or under like flipping a switch ... The reason it such a curiosity to me is that i dont now why this happens. But its happened 3 separate times to me and others post the same ..Yet were told that were crazy etc ..... anyone have any thoughts that are similar ?

That's fair BH. I may have been overly snarky in my reply to NJ in part because it's tipping it out so instead of golfing I went to the office, in addition to thinking his reply was of a particularly d1ckish nature I'd expect of someone else not his typically level-headedness.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Some of the best ball flight and distance control I've ever seen was by Colin Montgomerie and Lee Westwood. At the time one had original Big Berthas and the other Zing 2's. It's really not about the irons but the individuals using them.

Didn't Annika use those GIs too? Maybe x-12/14s? Yes a quick google does show that.

Not comparing us to them, but above folks have made the 'pros' reference.

Apologies in advance. As great as all three of those players are/were, (I’m always pulling for Westy even now) there will always be a part of me that wonders how much better they could have been....

Watching Sky trying to get Monty to hit a draw on the 10th tee at Augusta on their simulator was painful to watch...the closest he got was a 3 yard fade. All of those players are acutely aware of their strengths and weaknesses and are very good at playing to them...but I still wonder...

Agreed on Monty and Lee - people talk about "best never too...".

Since they came of age in the previous era of largely sticking to "your tour" as opposed to the modern players, it really is hard to tell how they stack up.

But ballstriking wise they were quite something and played their stock shots, as most pros overwhelmingly do, no iron changes that.

Just ask Patrick Reed. He's not hitting draws because his MBs have too much offset and are 'hook machines' ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Practice and hard work lower scores get a golfer as good as possible,

Equipment is maybe 5%

The swing, mental approach is 95%

Why focus on smallest part of equation and only get a 5% return

Where did you get these numbers? Some people can practice 24/7 and will never be good or get better. You have to have ability for practice to mean anything and some just do not and never will.

That's fair BH. I may have been overly snarky in my reply to NJ in part because it's tipping it out so instead of golfing I went to the office, in addition to thinking his reply was of a particularly d1ckish nature I'd expect of someone else not his typically level-headedness.

Thanks for reading my post the way i meant it ... I got what you really meant and i think others did too ... But it was toward the side of "easily misunderstood" as soooo many of MY posts are. lol

My thoughts on this game is that past a 5 or so handicap its 90% between the ears from there on out... No club generally expected to be better will help on its own.. and i have to constantly remind myself of that . Sometime , someday ill find an iron that offers some level of ball speed help on off center misses and yet still suits my eye and ear on center hits... Ive said it before , for me it is usually sole dependent more than anything... If it doesnt "cut" a shallow long divot i dont get along with it .. And i know before i type that someone will remind me that the ball is off the face before the sole contacts the ground ..Yet it matters anyway . ......Mental...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Personally have found that my game requires a certain look, overall club weight, and amount of feedback in order to keep my tempo in check and strike the ball well. When I get outside of my comfortable parameters to what is commonly characterized as more forgiving, my game tends to suffer....mental?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Its a particularly interesting topic to me because ive tried out many different irons this season...and my scores continued to rise until i went back to some old faithfuls. why? I cant tell you exactly...

<snippysnip>

..... anyone have any thoughts that are similar ?

I've run into this myself. I committed to Eye2+ for a full year, had decent scores after a couple months adjustment period, then watched my scores take off (positively) when I switched back to Rams.

My theory is that it's not blades vs CB's in the traditional sense, but what I am used to using. At the aforementioned time, I'd been playing those clubs for 12 or 13 years, the Pings for only one, and I only had two years and change with other CB's. I expect it may well be the same for you.

Or, it could just be you've come across the perfect set up for you. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

They fit right in with all the 14 indexes who play blades and work it both ways effortlessly....but their short game just holds them back

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Clubs are both overrated and underrated.

They are not significant enough that being a good player is dependent on the clubs you play. I'd venture a guess that clubs you play could affect your handicap by at most 2 shots. At MOST

that being said if it affects your index even by .3, well I'd rather be lower than higher

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Mahonie, CM would have been trying to hook a driver or 3 wood off the 10th tee at Augusta. He had a fade swing, his iron choice had nothing to do with that tee shot. Also had nothing to do with that horrible chunked 7 iron at Winged Foot.

Yes, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Monty admitted that a draw was a shot that he couldn’t hit with any confidence...everything to him was a baby fade, a straight shot was closing the face a bit and swinging the same way. I suppose my point was the reason Monty played GIs was that they were the irons best suited to his game. I just wonder whether he lacked the ambition to see how good he could really be and just settled for being the best player ever with GI clubs in Europe.

Radius Classic 8

Mahonie, CM would have been trying to hook a driver or 3 wood off the 10th tee at Augusta. He had a fade swing, his iron choice had nothing to do with that tee shot. Also had nothing to do with that horrible chunked 7 iron at Winged Foot.

Yes, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Monty admitted that a draw was a shot that he couldn’t hit with any confidence...everything to him was a baby fade, a straight shot was closing the face a bit and swinging the same way. I suppose my point was the reason Monty played GIs was that they were the irons best suited to his game. I just wonder whether he lacked the ambition to see how good he could really be and just settled for being the best player ever with GI clubs in Europe.

Right cause all non blade players (even some of the all time greats) lack ambition to play blades?

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

It all boils down to choices. MB's are not hard to play with. Prior to the ping eye series of irons, everyone played blades or MB's.

An individuals score will come from their own talent and skill set, and that is with any style of club. The swing matters, and honestly, not enough emphasis is placed on the player, and too much on the equipment .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

It all boils down to choices. MB's are not hard to play with. Prior to the ping eye series of irons, everyone played blades or MB's.

An individuals score will come from their own talent and skill set, and that is with any style of club. The swing matters, and honestly, not enough emphasis is placed on the player, and too much on the equipment .

Yeah I hear lots of people complain after a bad round, “Oh man, my clubs really sucked today”,,,

Wait a minute. Actually I have never heard anyone say that, ever. They always blame themselves.

Mahonie, how good did you want CM, Annika, Se Re, Westy, et al to be? I guarantee they all tried every type of club, and rather than adapting their swings to the clubs, they played the clubs that gave them the best chance to win. Of all blades-GI irons arguments, the perceived weakness of their skill and determination that you seem to have is the weakest I have read. I will agree that Westy had a high tolerance for ugly.

I’m the opposite, I play blades and want the most forgiving driver legally allowed.

Just as a point of interest. You sig has a SLDR 430 + Rocketblades.

What are you playing these days?

Oops. I use the app and don’t see any signatures. Didn’t even know I still had one.

Driver: Ping G400 Max/Srixon 785

Irons: Srixon 965

You are WAY off here. If you think skiers in the 80s or earlier developed more skill than modern skiers, you are out of your mind. Those straight stiff sticks you are so fond of would have you getting killed skiing the terrain being skied today. Were there big mountain skiers before? Yeah. Were they straight lining giant Alaskan faces? Hell no. Equipment progressed and the sport and athletes did as well.

Have fun noodling down those groomers tho. Are you still skiing in leather boots?

I'm actually gonna agree with most of what you said here about skis and skiers as it pertains to the top level of the sport. What the big mountain skiers do today is absolutely mind boggling (and frankly, pretty nuts.) What Mikaela Shiffrin and Ted Ligety do in the gates is equally impressive. But when I think about mainstream, average resort skiers, that's where I think the skill has not really improved, but their skiing has, because of equipment. Those skiers had no chance of true carving back in the day, but a lot of them can make a reasonable go of it with today's gear. Skiing powder was especially hopeless for intermediate skiers when skinny skis were the norm.New equipment totally changed that game, but didn't make that class of skiers any more skilled. That said, I don't think the median skill level of skiers has become worse or better in any real way, even though the top end of the sport has pushed the boundaries quite far. Where I'll agree with the OP is that being a good skier on the old gear made transitioning to and capitalizing on the new stuff silly easy.

Thanks Nemo, exactly my point, which rrowe apparently completely misunderstood and actually just reinforced for me. Obviously new ski equipment is wildly easier to ski and allows skiers of every level to do things that weren't possible for them before. That was my whole point. No one said the old gear was better, quite the opposite. Simply put, to do the same thing requires far less skill than it did in the old days. Period. And the limits of what the elite can do have increased because of it. No debate. And if course my point was that I personally don't believe the same is true with irons, at least to the degree we'd all like to believe. Good golf shots come from hitting the ball well...good scoring comes from playing the game well, and there are no significant shortcuts to competence.

BTW rrowe, I've skied "big mountains" my whole life all over north America, and excelled in both eras. I know what it was like to go from 207s to 175s and less and ski those "huge Alaskan faces" on both (although I actually like to turn). Do you? I was even sponsored for quite some time. Guessing with your mouth you must live nearby me in Utah, maybe Colorado, and have a number of sponsorships yourself...so give me a PM sometime and we'll go spend a day together on the hill. Should be enlightening.

Okay, childish retort over and back to golf, at which I suck regardless of what I play :lol:

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

Practice and hard work lower scores get a golfer as good as possible,

Equipment is maybe 5%

The swing, mental approach is 95%

Why focus on smallest part of equation and only get a 5% return

Where did you get these numbers? Some people can practice 24/7 and will never be good or get better. You have to have ability for practice to mean anything and some just do not and never will.

been around for years and its prolly lower on club side and higher on skill/mental side.....clubs are better but golfers remain the same avg wise....tour pro can switch brands and sometimes categories of irons but shoot same scores......give this game a run and work your a** off to see how good you can be and see how irrelevant the stick in your hand actually is....

Like someone above said the better you get the less it matters......

Its mental approach along with practice that works, just pounding balls is useless

Equipment forum has 129,000 threads

Instruction has 59,000.....tell me people dont try to buy a game....which is why handicaps remain the same....

I get it though...I am single and played 4-7 days a week with practice, it's an unrealistic amt of time.....also played God knows how many sets of irons last 5 years....now I cant play as much I see the difference...

Great post OP and welcome aboard!

Yes you have struck the overly sensitive nerve of the GI/Fitting Mafia. They believe the only thing that matters is a score and anyone that plays the game for the challenge and the joy of shotmaking with REAL clubs is a moron. Do the right thing, get fitted with something that can help you and cut 2-3 strokes off your score, they say. Yippee! Now that’s something to be proud of.

They fit right in with all the 14 indexes who play blades and work it both ways effortlessly....but their short game just holds them back

lol, good one bro.....its amazing isnt

Great post OP and welcome aboard!

Yes you have struck the overly sensitive nerve of the GI/Fitting Mafia. They believe the only thing that matters is a score and anyone that plays the game for the challenge and the joy of shotmaking with REAL clubs is a moron. Do the right thing, get fitted with something that can help you and cut 2-3 strokes off your score, they say. Yippee! Now that’s something to be proud of.

lol - “real clubs”. Playing the game for the “challenge” - lol

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Mahonie, how good did you want CM, Annika, Se Re, Westy, et al to be? I guarantee they all tried every type of club, and rather than adapting their swings to the clubs, they played the clubs that gave them the best chance to win. Of all blades-GI irons arguments, the perceived weakness of their skill and determination that you seem to have is the weakest I have read. I will agree that Westy had a high tolerance for ugly.

I dunno, with Monty and Westy I’ve always felt that something was missing from their make up. Thinking about it, perhaps they have got the most possible out of their games but they were just never good enough to win Majors.

I know that they are amongst the best players ever...watching Westy on the course vlogs with Crossfield shows what a phenomenal player he is. Ping looked after Westy since he was a kid and he’s stated that he would never swap manufacturers so whether he’s tried every type of club I couldn’t say. Honestly, I’d love to hear Westy’s views on why he’s played WITB over the years.

Perhaps I’m just frustrated that Monty and Westy didn’t really take the European game forward in the same way as Faldo, Seve et al.

Radius Classic 8

Play blades. Shooting 100 never felt so good. It’s about mastering a club you never will and not about shooting a score.

Shooting 100 is no fun with CBs and doesn’t feel great...there is no excuse! ;-)

Radius Classic 8