sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

My trouble is i can't find a middle ground. I'm either 100% committed, into it, full-bore addicted, doing-it 24/7........or i'm asleep. "Burnout" is my most favourite hated word. This time i'm gonna try to play and practice a little less AND keep some other hobbies going so i'm not such a one-trick pony.

And so; after another sabbatical of 2 and a half years - the last couple of months i've had an urge to play again. Coupled with my 18 year old son then asking me "...aren't you too old to play golf ?" (And the urge to show him who's boss !!!) - i have this week started building a bag up again. And as ever; if you're looking for an up to date modern bag of ultra fashionable delights - look away. I hate PVD woods / black faces. I dislike adjustable drivers (Using ribbed grips doesn't help) etc etc etc and i'm absolutely anal about the condition of my stuff.

When I was a junior, I would get asked "aren't you too young to be playing golf?"

How times have changed.

My trouble is i can't find a middle ground. I'm either 100% committed, into it, full-bore addicted, doing-it 24/7........or i'm asleep. "Burnout" is my most favourite hated word. This time i'm gonna try to play and practice a little less AND keep some other hobbies going so i'm not such a one-trick pony.

And so; after another sabbatical of 2 and a half years - the last couple of months i've had an urge to play again. Coupled with my 18 year old son then asking me "...aren't you too old to play golf ?" (And the urge to show him who's boss !!!) - i have this week started building a bag up again. And as ever; if you're looking for an up to date modern bag of ultra fashionable delights - look away. I hate PVD woods / black faces. I dislike adjustable drivers (Using ribbed grips doesn't help) etc etc etc and i'm absolutely anal about the condition of my stuff.

When I was a junior, I would get asked "aren't you too young to be playing golf?"

How times have changed.

Right ! (I got asked similar questions....reference TOLD; about how golf was a retired gentlemans game (NOT Sport) when i was a youngster too.

I'm 47 and touch wood; fit as a fiddle. My normally quiet 18 year old who only plays Par 3 golf thinks he's going to whoop this old man into shape. He seems to forget i was a Club Pro for 15 years, played alot of AM golf, played for living primarily for a few years and have won a few things here and there.

Admitted it's been a couple of years since i swung a club in anger, but still; given a couple of months practice i can't believe i won't be able to scramble some sort of round together. We shall see !

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Has he never seen you play before? I noticed you've been away from the game for a couple of years, but surely he must know you can Play?

I'd say he's in for a shock.

I bought him some clubs to see if he was interested when he was around 10 (?) and we played a few games then. On Par 3 courses and a few rounds on a local, short 9 hole track. So he knows yes. He's started playing with friends on a local Par 3 course quite regularly and seems to be getting into the game on his own volition. Which is great....and as much as i've been thinking / wanting / fancying playing again for a few months.....HE (And getting to play with him) is just the kick up the backside i needed and would be great to spend some time together out in the fresh air..

***Not wanting to 'show-off' at all, but in reference to this conversation - like alot of us i'm sure; i can play a little on my day. Wonder if i show him a few of these he'll still fancy his chances ;)

44714049421_91d10bbd60_b.jpg

44664911342_6858281883_b.jpg

43996301584_1d1b0810bd_b.jpg

Anyway. I diversify. Spent a few hours gripping the irons, and finishing my driver and hybrid off today. And been looking into possible memberships of local clubs this weekend for myself. Exciting times !!

Some good scoring there Shuv, didnt realise you werent even a member of a club at the moment, get and make that right :)

Hopefully we can sort something out for next year, otherwise there is the English Mid Am which im looking at playing next year, friend of mine played this and said its a good event.

Some good scoring there Shuv, didnt realise you werent even a member of a club at the moment, get and make that right :)

Hopefully we can sort something out for next year, otherwise there is the English Mid Am which im looking at playing next year, friend of mine played this and said its a good event.

***Firstly ; and somewhat relevant to this thread ! 'New' bag is coming on a treat.......

Hybrid and Driver are shafted, finished, cut to length, swing-weighted etc. 3 wood is arriving tomorrow and will be shafted up tomorrow night. Putter should also be here tomorrow; and LaMont in AZ tells me i need to use 100 grit Glass beads at 65 - 80psi in order to "re-finish" as it was / how i want ;)

Then the laborious task of gripping the lot / stretching them out, cutting a few off again because i'm not happy with the shape and size, or the fact the rib isn't where it feels like it should be. Painful i am. My own worst enemy. I'll get some pics at the weekend to liven all this writing up a bit :wacko:

No Dave. I never actually re-joined a club last time around. Just relied on friends so i could get signed in here and there ! Perhaps some of the reason i began to play less and less ?

Anyway. The most likely place seems to be Southwold Golf Club. Only 9 holes.....but 18 vastly different tees. Two if not three of the holes actually change par they are so different one of the times around. Proper track and a good; but pretty fair test of golf. Link's style with some hard'ish and fast golf and a fair bit of gorse thrown in. Always has amazing greens and i've a lot of friends there. About 20 mins from home.

Only 'issue' is - its RIGHT by the sea. Do i fancy the January Medal we ask :russian_roulette: :rofl: :lol:

https://www.southwoldgolfclub.co.uk/

And a few images as the website has none:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=southwold+golf+club&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj216LGmsXdAhXsDsAKHdEyCv4Q_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=758

Mid-Am. I'm getting nearer the Seniors i reckon. Starts at 50 in some clubs around here i think ? But YES we 110% will get a game in 2019. Even if i have to arrive at your door with a few clubs; and a duvet in the car :yahoo:

Lol definately welcome down here, i didnt realise you were in Sufflok, for some reason I thoight you were on the south Coast, Hampshire or Sussex!

No Sir. Proper Carrot crunching territory here !

Great to see you back playing Shuv

Thanks very much. How are you ? And hows the golf......?

Seen this: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1693564-uk-golf-wrx-day-2019-england/

Desperately trying (to be ready) to get on the course ASAP. So the building / tinkering / fettling continues. I'm burning the candle before and after work currently. The joys of being a 'perfectionist'..... :shok:

So a bit of multi-tasking tonight as i was pretty late home: with simultaneous paint-filling, gluing of J33-R 3 wood, stripping of MD3 wedges etc

30917615058_cdde543bbf_b.jpg

Club-making was what the kitchen in your house was made for hey :tongue:

44788781341_d2de0c574a_b.jpg

***BTW: Have Bridgestone J33 Fairway woods got THE shallowest insertion depth of all time ? I could see inside the hosel clearly, and after reaming out the old glue; i could see the walls tapering in at the bottom towards a plug at the base / or the very bottom of hosel. So that was definitely all i had. And i measured it as literally a hair under 3/4". That's about the same as some of the old-school Taylormade's. And i thought they were 'unique' in that respect........

Yesterday and last nights task: was a clean up of wedges and putter before "re-finishing" (Bead blast on the putter / accelerated RUSTING of the Wedges)

52 Degree MD3 was near immaculate. 58 degree was really good apart from a couple of pretty small rock dings; toe-side of the sole.

So 52 was left alone - just stripped the surface Black off. On the 58 i got the rock dings out and also gave it a touch more heel relief whilst trying to retain as much head-weight as possible. Pretty pleased with how it came out:

29873000587_ecb35c04c7_b.jpg

Putter i wasn't so pleased with. To be fair it's the only one i've see for sale in 6 weeks plus......so it could have been worse. But was supposed to be 'immaculate' (Aren't they all from ebay !!!!! ). :huh: ***Few topline dings, odd mark here and there and some chatter on the toe end bumper.

I guess i've spent around 3 hours so far; carefully getting rid of the odd small ding carefully by hand with a sponge sanding block. Another 15 mins finishing off and it will be ready for Glass Bead Blasting. ****Once again; i have removed as little as possible material to retain the headweight. Some of the knocks are still there. But barely visible unless super close. I'm leaving them 'as-is' and think that once it has a Satin finish and the light isn't rebounding off it - you won't notice what's left: Completely removing will involve taking off too much material for my liking.

So: Before:

44838591151_af2cc17f74_b.jpg

43027392160_4ee47d5a63_b.jpg

43927924475_0af20b188e_b.jpg

And after a little handywork:

43027390700_34f0ebaaeb_b.jpg

44838588551_9d243ddb28_b.jpg

30966543868_2f7bd357ce_b.jpg

43927922785_b18b56b284_b.jpg

Cheers for looking ;)

Long stuff shafted, ferrules turned down and finally finished off this morning:

**After quite a bit of cleaning / polishing / paint-filling and touching in etc; i think it's looking pretty good for its age.....

44791634792_2edfc8376e_b.jpg

30969324838_c074a269b7_b.jpg

Titleist 909 D2 Driver - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X - Tipped 3/4". Playing at 44.5" :

30969324468_8fa9e6de14_b.jpg

30969323968_86f41333b3_b.jpg

30969323518_79040768ae_b.jpg

Bridgestone J33-R 15 deg fairway - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X - Tipped 1/2". Playing 42.5" :

30969323118_c80218d106_b.jpg

30969322788_8f0c12531e_b.jpg

30969322388_61a73b5539_b.jpg

Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid (20 deg) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X - Tipped 1/2". Playing at 40.5"" :

30969321908_0a65581860_b.jpg

44791623632_f76fa09170_b.jpg

30969320988_ed4227197d_b.jpg

All three look great, especially the Fli Hi. I had one of those in college and it stuck around for quite some time.

Thanks ! I had a 20 degree before at some point. Felt solid, seemed neutral and certainly went high. If not that long per loft from memory. We'll see !

Can you give a rundown on how you did the wedges? More pics? Thanks.

In terms of accelerating the rust or sorting rock dint's etc ? If the former: I've just been out for 'supplies' (Done this a few times before though). I'll be sure to take pics as i go along for you....

Thanks...yes, seeking info on removing the finish and accelerating the rust.

I've done it a couple of different ways previously. Both were pretty aggressive though and had pitted parts of the club on a fairly micro level. Not really visible once it was rusted up. But truly a 'vintage' look ! This is not a built up over 'years' super smooth layer done naturally. And a dip in coke at a later stage won't be removing this to reveal a perfect surface :mellow:

***Firstly; you'll need an oil can / raw / unplated club to work on. This won't work with Chrome / Satin Chrome / Black Chrome examples. Some may have some type of finish on them over the unplated head. This is usually a 'temporary' thing.....actually designed to come off and for the club to eventually rust.......and primarily done from the factory so they don't start rusting for sale in the shop and look 'awful' on display !

Typically these can be removed by soaking in Coke, White Vinegar, CLR or Hammerite rust remover overnight. You MAY still want to get any remaining off with steel wool, a light sanding block etc so the surface is fully prepped ready. A few scratched / swirls at this stage won't matter at all. Infact probably a good thing and gives the rust somewhere to get in and get hold of.

1./ One time i wet the heads with water, caked them in salt and then continued to wet them, leave them to dry, wet them a few times a day.......over the course of a week or so. This REALLY gave them a unique old / vintage look (Sorry, no pics i can find of the finished article):

43933535395_b6024b1c7c_b.jpg

2./ But normally i strip the heads of any surface coating the same; and then mix up a 'rusting solution'. You can Google "Accelerating Rust' for different ideas but basically you'll need a mixture of a bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide, some White Vinegar and some salt. Here's what i started to use on mine earlier today earlier.....mixed in with a little household bleach:

30971938688_a96e8bde24_b.jpg

I've also decided to do mine outside this time,to really be out in the elements. So i taped up the shafts in plastic bags to protect them and have the heads resting over a plastic container to catch the solution i will be spraying on.

So: clubs in position, and solution mixed up; i'll simply be spraying numerous times a day (Primarily once the last coating has completely evaporated / sun dried / disappeared - i apply another 'coat'). I expect this to take a week or so get to the level of rust i'm looking for.

And one your happy, what i normally then do is soak in engine oil ,light oil, WD40 etc to neutralise the process and it also help to turn any 'orangey' patches into a darker / more uniform dark patina type rust. For me: i usually then pre-polish the sole that will wear over time to a shiny bare-metal finish for a better look in the bag; using a foam sanding block........

44843977941_e3605f8a56_b.jpg

This is after just an hour. 58 degree at the back is really going fast:

43033452140_3ddbb4339a_b.jpg

Hope that helps / gives you a few ideas. Good luck !

Awesome...thanks for the rundown.

No worries at all.....

The last pictures i posted yesterday; of me holding on of the wedges and starting the accelerated rusting process outside - were literally taken in real-time as i started this pair off. And that was just before 5pm here in the UK. I've just gotten up and outside (Been raining all night and is chucking it down pretty hard right now) and taken a couple of pictures just 17 hours into the process:

30986271348_5cb92a4c76_b.jpg

43047541900_1e6422ee1f_b.jpg

I've now gotten them inside and have managed to secure them in a position 180 degrees to how they were all last night (So toe up in the air, rather than toe down above the bucket) in order to even everything out and try to make sure every surface gets an equal coating / even coating etc etc. So today will be in this position [***Luckily the wife's at work all day :good: ] and then the following two days i shall be rotating them so the toe is at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock respectively.

43948298505_c16ee41abc_b.jpg

By the end of today they should have a real good / pretty even covering at this rate. Must have stumbled across a really good solution, and a damp night last night kick-started things off pretty good too i think.

The 'mini-project' of the last few days was to get the putter finished. Couple of re-finishing companies in the UK couldn't even be bothered to reply to my enquiries. So i went about it myself......

So; a couple of pics again how it was with a few dents, knocks on the topline and chatter marks on the bumper etc:

43927924475_0af20b188e_b.jpg

43027392160_4ee47d5a63_b.jpg

44838591151_af2cc17f74_b.jpg

I then carefully and sympathetically (Trying not to lose weight) shaped it and got rid of the dings with foam sanding pads of various grades. I guess this took a good couple of hours:

30966543868_2f7bd357ce_b.jpg

44838588551_9d243ddb28_b.jpg

43027390700_34f0ebaaeb_b.jpg

Scales said i'd removed 9g. [The head supposedly weighing 350g as standard factory specs]. I work with metal for a living and don't believe this for one single minute. Be lucky if i removed 3 or 4g. Anyway; final weight came out as 341g as below:

43140043670_7433b61e5c_b.jpg

I then had it vapour blasted at 75psi with 100-200 grit glass beads:

44952679461_491e36816a_b.jpg

And then finally finished it off by cleaning up the face to make the grooves a shiny finish as per factory, satin finishing the sole and re-doing all the paintfill:

44903893382_e9fda505c5_b.jpg

44952677741_5e35b180dd_b.jpg

44952676731_6e7d3bef78_b.jpg

44903891532_14fa22806b_b.jpg

Total time taken; just 2 hours 'shaping', and 1 hour to paint-fill and clean up the residue after. Total cost = just £10 to the blasters for the vapour cleaning. And i got it all done in a couple of days and think it looks fantastic compared to how i bought it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much 1 month to the day since i started assembling a bag again from absolutely nothing; and i finally have enough to go and play golf.....

That's finding / buying everything, getting it to me, re-shafting Driver, 3W and Hybrid, re-furbing the putter, doing some grinding of wedges and then getting them rusted up, going through my completely painful gripping process, Satin Finishing the irons, all the paint-fills etc etc - pretty good !

Only 12 clubs so far. Not sure if i'm going to add a 4 iron, a driving iron or perhaps a 17 degree Mizuno Hybrid, strengthen loft of 5 iron or (?)........we'll see how the initial rounds go. So this is it for now.

Full bag shot(s):

30215266277_6622dfbb22_b.jpg

30215264747_6fa2b5505b_b.jpg

Covers off:

30215263707_5d6796694a_b.jpg

Long Stuff:

Titleist 909 Driver, 44.5", D2 Swing-weight, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X

Bridgestone J33 3-wood, 42.5", D2 Swing-weight, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X

Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid, 41", D2 Swing-weight, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red X

44241887895_666658c008_b.jpg

30215262047_496c98bb9a_b.jpg

30215261137_935ef049f7_b.jpg

Irons:

Callaway X-22 Tour (5 - PW) Standard LLL. Satin finish by myself. Project X 6.5

31279983848_94051e05e6_b.jpg

Wedges:

Callaway MD3 (52 + 58). Dynamic Gold Pro S300. Standard LLL. 'Antique Finish' by me.......

****May go slightly flatter lie in the future.

30215260007_a5f4007803_b.jpg

30215260597_55cf765f39_b.jpg

Putter:

RIFE Iconic 'Three'. 34.75" / 340g. Approx 68 degree lie. Golf Pride Dual Durometer Grip. Head refurbished / paint-filled etc by me :-)

30215257017_4052ec37c9_b.jpg

30215257627_183b05b2b4_b.jpg

Scott Readman Concepts Napa Leather putter cover:

31279983178_db1a7d16d4_b.jpg

Grips:

Golf Pride Tour Velvet .580 Ribbed throughout. Stretched out 40mm

31280117628_52f133bdf5_b.jpg

Random:

White wooden tees (Lift Tour Edition with driver), Stockpiled some Sci-Flex Gloves, TP5X golf-balls, Sky-Caddy SG2.5 for when you're a few fairways wide...

31279981828_6141c47b5b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great, especially the putter

I used to have a 904f fitted for me with the same shaft as your Bridgestone (stiff flex however...) was a nice club, but didn’t last - once a ‘ho and all that...

Liking the fixed hosels though, I rarely use them once set on something so the winter season has me thinking of trying something of that style....and a set of cavities, and new wedges....ha ha!!

Cheers, Scotty

PING G410 LST 10.5* Tensei CK Pro White 60s
TM SIM Ti 15* Diamana D+ 70s
M3 5wd 19* Diamana D+ 70s
Mizuno MMC 4 & 5 / MP20 6-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno T20 51* / 55* / 59* DG S400 Ti

Special Select fastback 1.5 33.5" / Slighter Tacoma 34"

I used to have a 904f fitted for me with the same shaft as your Bridgestone (stiff flex however...) was a nice club, but didn't last - once a 'ho and all that...

Liking the fixed hosels though, I rarely use them once set on something so the winter season has me thinking of trying something of that style....and a set of cavities, and new wedges....ha ha!!

Cheers, Scotty

Cheers Scotty. Putter came out really good i think for a 'home-job'. Well pleased :-)

Really underated shaft the Pro-Launch Red. VERY stout without feeling boardy (A-la UST V2 for example)......

Yea i'm like you. If i had adjustability i wouldn't use it. And i dislike the looks. Old school; or old-hat - i can't decide which i am :dntknw:

Would you be interested in this at all ? (Or too far to travel):

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1693564-uk-golf-wrx-day-2019-england/

That putter looks great. Nice job.

THANKS !

With any luck i'll still have it when we hopefully meet on the UK golf Day 2019 :drinks:

I used to have a 904f fitted for me with the same shaft as your Bridgestone (stiff flex however...) was a nice club, but didn't last - once a 'ho and all that...

Cheers, Scotty

Cheers Scotty. Putter came out really good i think for a 'home-job'. Well pleased :-)

Really underated shaft the Pro-Launch Red. VERY stout without feeling boardy (A-la UST V2 for example)......

Yea i'm like you. If i had adjustability i wouldn't use it. And i dislike the looks. Old school; or old-hat - i can't decide which i am :dntknw:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1693564-uk-golf-wrx-day-2019-england/

Ha ha, old-school for sure ;-)

There are still a few of us active on modsquadgolf if you ever fancied a look again, Graham, James and a few others - Milton Keynes fairly central for some of them too.

I miss the craic on these outings and we used to have a great time, a resurrection would be good.

One direct fight for me, so if the dates line up with kids / work then I’d be interested :-)

PING G410 LST 10.5* Tensei CK Pro White 60s
TM SIM Ti 15* Diamana D+ 70s
M3 5wd 19* Diamana D+ 70s
Mizuno MMC 4 & 5 / MP20 6-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno T20 51* / 55* / 59* DG S400 Ti

Special Select fastback 1.5 33.5" / Slighter Tacoma 34"

THANKS !

With any luck i'll still have it when we hopefully meet on the UK golf Day 2019 :drinks:

I see I'm going to have to upgrade my putter for the UK golf Day :pimp: The ones I have left over in the UK are real children of the Eighties. A TPA III knock-off, some other complete no-name heel-shafted half mallet (I really wanted a TPA XVIII like Faldo was using...), and a Slotline that my brother used.

Cheers, Scotty

http://www.golfwrx.c...y-2019-england/

Ha ha, old-school for sure ;-)

There are still a few of us active on modsquadgolf if you ever fancied a look again, Graham, James and a few others - Milton Keynes fairly central for some of them too.

I miss the craic on these outings and we used to have a great time, a resurrection would be good.

One direct fight for me, so if the dates line up with kids / work then I'd be interested :-)

I tried to log in to ModSquad a few weeks ago. Wouldn't have any of it. If i try to change password / email it says 'account not approved'. So i gave up unfortunately. Although i guess i could start another account (?). Is it quiet over there....same as it was busy-wise,or.....?

Aghhhh great you may make it !! I think we've pretty much decided already on first week of Sept as there's 3 possibles for that 'period' already. Two of which will be coming from Japan and the USA respectively if the stars align. Would be fabulous to see / meet you too.

THANKS !

I see I'm going to have to upgrade my putter for the UK golf Day :pimp: The ones I have left over in the UK are real children of the Eighties. A TPA III knock-off, some other complete no-name heel-shafted half mallet (I really wanted a TPA XVIII like Faldo was using...), and a Slotline that my brother used.

Sounds like a few old-school cool models in the UK to me.

Don't go too modern with high MOI, ultra easy to use sight-lines and sublime balance / feel anyway.

We all need some excuses reason why we might not be at our absolute best :hi:

THANKS !

Sounds like a few old-school cool models in the UK to me.

Don't go too modern with high MOI, ultra easy to use sight-lines and sublime balance / feel anyway.

We all need some excuses reason why we might not be at our absolute best :hi:

I really hope my game picks up by then as these last two or three months have been horrendous. If not I've always got the jet-lag excuse to fall back on :taunt:

The first week in September should hopefully work out for me. In the summer, it's the most common time I'm over :drinks:

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8