2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

G400 lST reviews vs. M2 M3 etc? Longest and lowest spin?

russian7

Whats the consensus on the longest loqest spin of these? Ive been trying to beat my Ping Anser for years an nothings touched it,

I picked up G400 lst Px yellow Hzrdus tipped .5 and 1st try out was just smokin the ball very very happy and surprises. No numbers yet but i was past all my partners all day who are usually close to me, curious on reviews or guys with numbers to see what they found?

Whats the advantage of G400 LST head vs. My old anser??

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the consensus on the longest loqest spin of these? Ive been trying to beat my Ping Anser for years an nothings touched it,

I picked up G400 lst Px yellow Hzrdus tipped .5 and 1st try out was just smokin the ball very very happy and surprises. No numbers yet but i was past all my partners all day who are usually close to me, curious on reviews or guys with numbers to see what they found?

Wondering the same thing as I still have the Anser.

More forgiving, similar spin characteristics, more aerodynamic which has more benefits for a faster swinger.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I still don't have trackman numbers buy played a pro am yesterday with 2 buddies that are usually close to my driver off the tee.

My G400 was 10-50 yards past them all day and I won a Long Drive, I don't even think I hit it square yesterday, seems to go deep and roll out, man this could be a serious contender to my Anser!!

I played an Anser for a while. Hit it pretty well, but mine always felt/sounded kind of dead when I hit it. Plenty of distance (a few drives over 300 based on course yardage markers), but no pop, if that makes sense. So I sold it and have worked my way through various other drivers over the past few years. I've demoed the G400 LST and now have one on the way... with the G400 LST I really like the feel. It definitely has some pop and the sound/feel reminds me of the i20. I hit about 10 balls on a Ping nFlight LM set up and even though I hit some toe draws and some heel fades as well as a couple on the screws, all 10 had basically the same ball speed, so I wasn't losing much distance on mishits. I got to hit it outside as well and found it to give me a nice flat, boring trajectory, so I'm excited to put it in to play when it arrives.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

I played an Anser for a while. Hit it pretty well, but mine always felt/sounded kind of dead when I hit it. Plenty of distance (a few drives over 300 based on course yardage markers), but no pop, if that makes sense. So I sold it and have worked my way through various other drivers over the past few years. I've demoed the G400 LST and now have one on the way... with the G400 LST I really like the feel. It definitely has some pop and the sound/feel reminds me of the i20. I hit about 10 balls on a Ping nFlight LM set up and even though I hit some toe draws and some heel fades as well as a couple on the screws, all 10 had basically the same ball speed, so I wasn't losing much distance on mishits. I got to hit it outside as well and found it to give me a nice flat, boring trajectory, so I'm excited to put it in to play when it arrives.

My Anser, I've had 3 now, but my current one is a bomber it is so springy and flies for days, nothing has come close to it I've tried tons of combos.

I bought the G400LST on a whim with PX Yellow 6.5 in it tipped .5" and its mid flight rolls and I was past everyone both times I've used it. It was very straight, mishits were still good it was pretty amazing so far...

I wanted an LST or Rogue so went to buy a new driver this week (Currently playing the Titleist D3 with Fujikura 74 Tour Spec stiff). I hit a bunch of balls with different shafts on the monitor. Everyone swings different but my results FWIW:

My swing speed was for the most part upper 90's to 104.

Ping: I tried the LST, G400, and Max. The best shaft for me was the tour 65 stiff in all 3 heads. The best Ping for me was the LST. Dispersion was average with a little more draw than I want. Spin was too high. Distance was just OK. I loved the look and feel.

None of them were what I was looking for.

Cobra: I won't bore you with anything but to say it gave me the worst results of the day. It felt fine but too much spin with the available shafts.

Callaway: I spent most of my time with the Rogue SZ and the Evenflow blue stiff shaft. I wanted this to be the one. I liked the looks, I liked the feel, and it consistently gave me the highest swing speed. Dispersion was right with the PING having a little more draw than I wanted. Distance averaged about 3 to 4 yards further than the Ping.

TM: I was not real interested when I walked in but being a true Ho I of course hit both the M3 and M4. Shafts I spent the most time with were the Tensei blue stiff and Tensei white 70 X-Stiff(77 gm). I know, my swing speed does not point to an X-Stiff and I consider my transition average but the fitter put it in my hands. Winner in every category was the M3 with Tensei white X-Stiff. I was so sure that the shaft would be wrong that I came home an ordered a stiff Speeder Tour Spec. from Dallas golf which will be here next week. Now I wish I would have trusted the session. I have 2 rounds with the M3 and X Stiff and have had two of my best driving rounds EVER. I have been able to move it both ways but most of all my normal draw swing is now a normal straight ball swing. Distance and spin have been perfect as has trajectory. The only thing difference is that the on the course distance has easily surpassed the monitor distance. Nice to live above sea level :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I wanted an LST or Rogue so went to buy a new driver this week (Currently playing the Titleist D3 with Fujikura 74 Tour Spec stiff). I hit a bunch of balls with different shafts on the monitor. Everyone swings different but my results FWIW:

My swing speed was for the most part upper 90's to 104.

Ping: I tried the LST, G400, and Max. The best shaft for me was the tour 65 stiff in all 3 heads. The best Ping for me was the LST. Dispersion was average with a little more draw than I want. Spin was too high. Distance was just OK. I loved the look and feel.

None of them were what I was looking for.

Cobra: I won't bore you with anything but to say it gave me the worst results of the day. It felt fine but too much spin with the available shafts.

Callaway: I spent most of my time with the Rogue SZ and the Evenflow blue stiff shaft. I wanted this to be the one. I liked the looks, I liked the feel, and it consistently gave me the highest swing speed. Dispersion was right with the PING having a little more draw than I wanted. Distance averaged about 3 to 4 yards further than the Ping.

TM: I was not real interested when I walked in but being a true Ho I of course hit both the M3 and M4. Shafts I spent the most time with were the Tensei blue stiff and Tensei white 70 X-Stiff(77 gm). I know, my swing speed does not point to an X-Stiff and I consider my transition average but the fitter put it in my hands. Winner in every category was the M3 with Tensei white X-Stiff. I was so sure that the shaft would be wrong that I came home an ordered a stiff Speeder Tour Spec. from Dallas golf which will be here next week. Now I wish I would have trusted the session. I have 2 rounds with the M3 and X Stiff and have had two of my best driving rounds EVER. I have been able to move it both ways but most of all my normal draw swing is now a normal straight ball swing. Distance and spin have been perfect as has trajectory. The only thing difference is that the on the course distance has easily surpassed the monitor distance. Nice to live above sea level :-)

Thats awesome just shows everyone should demo

• 2 weeks later...

So my conclusion with G400 thus far, its about as long as my ping anser, much lower launching with the hzrdus yellow and black than my anser with Ahina.

It provides more roll, its workable, but what i am blown away with is the mishits off center!

I am hitting shots on the heel by grooves or toe that feel bad and i split fairway minimal sidespin and they are going past the guys i play with still, its crazy almost like you dont lose any distance!

I am waiting for drier conditions to determine total distance but even if close the G400 mishit and dispersion is unlike anything ive seen so far in a driver.

I owned an Anser with Ahina 70X, loved that thing. Really wanted to go straight with a boring flight and plenty of distance. One of my favorite drivers of all time, right there with the Tour Edge XCG7 beta, Callaway DBD, TM M1.

I've spent a lot of time thus far this season with the G400LST, Rogue SZ and M3, but not the F8+. In fact, I may have dropped some coin and may now own the first three. :busted2:

So I may be an interesting data point (or set of data points) for you.

If I have more time later I may post more detail, but here's the cliff notes version for now:

LST: The most Anser-like of the current crop of drivers in the sense of just seeming to want to go straight for me. And it's a hair longer for me than the other drivers described below on average, and my longest drives with it are almost identical to my longest drives with the SZ. in short, I like everything about this driver except the dragonflybulator things. Given performance, feel, sound, etc. I'm willing to overlook the cosmetics. I've hit only the 8.5 head, and hit many balls in each of these settings: neutral, "small" minus and "large" minus. I've settled for now on the small minus setting, as it confers the most (but still not a lot of) anti-left bias available with this head/adapter. I can still over-draw this sucker at times, but like I said, it really wants to go straight. My numbers with the LST are pretty consistently around 300 total distance with 2000-2100 backspin. To directly answer your question about the LST relative to the Anser, I've experienced greater consistency on off-center hits with the LST. Simple as that. Completely nutted shots with the Anser and LST are similar, at least based on my recollection of my experiences with the Anser.

SZ: Similar performance to the LST on many, or even most, hits. Similar distance, similar spin. Launch is a weird, almost inapposite concept when comparing the LST and SZ insofar as I can achieve a similar angle with both, but to do so I'd play the SZ 10.5* head at -1 and the Ping 9* head at "small minus" (i.e., 8.4*). So the LST is higher launching with the same static loft, but to me that's unimportant given I can get to the same launch window easily with both with the aforementioned adjustments. Where the SZ falls a hair short of the LST FOR ME is that it has a tendency to go left more on me, and there is just a tiny bit less forgiveness for me on mishits. The former issue is a bigger deal to me than the latter. However, my tendency to over-draw the ball is so much more pronounced than it is for most decent golfers that I suspect that the "left" issue will be a non-issue for the vast majority of readers. A couple of minor points to note on the SZ... the sound is interesting and I could see some people reacting to it strongly, either positively or negatively. To me it sounds most like an aluminum baseball ball hitting a baseball. Also, the appearance is much cleaner and IMO more attractive than that of the LST. Doesn't make much difference to me, but I could see it mattering to some.

M3: Coming from the M1 2017, I was surprised at how differently the M3 performs and feels. The Y weight track seems not to work as well for me as the T track of the M1. This was not unexpected for me, as I played the M1 with the front weight well out toward the toe. That had a pronounced impact on left-right bias, creating a strong fade bias for me (or said differently, it tended to straighten out my sometimes overly draw-y draws). I don't think the M3 allows as much fade bias, and when both weights are back and toe-side, which is the most "fade" position, it still doesn't create as much fade bias as the M1 with the front weight out toward the toe. At least that's been my experience. And when you have the M3 weights in the back, it creates quite a high launch and increases spin. I feel like I would have to use an 8.5 M3 head to achieve a similar set of launch conditions to the 9.5 M1. In fairness, I could have experimented more with the M3 by setting the adapter to "lower, thereby decreasing loft from 9.5 and opening the face to create both some additional fade bias and lower launch, but there's a limit to how much tinkering I'm willing to do. But sorry, I digress...cutting to the chase, the M3 for me is very close to the SZ in performance overall. I'd say I'm a hair shorter with the M3 than the SZ (probably less than five yards), but slightly more accurate and with fewer hard-left misses. Spin for me with the M3 has tended to be in the 2300 range, total yardage a little below 300. I love the look of the M3, just a badass looking club, if you care about that sort of thing.

A few other notes for now:

-My SS fluctuates in the 110-15 range (usually lower early in the season/colder weather)

-I've monkeyed around with a lot of different shafts. I can't get into all the detail, but I will note that at no point have I hit all three of the heads discussed above with the exact same shafts/lengths.

-I have on order an LST head at 8.5*, with hotmelt being added front and toward the toe to add a tad more fade bias. I'm pairing it with a Tensei orange 70TX at 44.75". At no point have I het this exact combo, but based on a ton of experimentation this season and in past years, I'm reasonably confident on an educated guess basis that this combination-- which represents a tweak to what I've tried thus far-- is going to get close to optimal numbers FOR ME based on MY SWING.

I owned an Anser with Ahina 70X, loved that thing. Really wanted to go straight with a boring flight and plenty of distance. One of my favorite drivers of all time, right there with the Tour Edge XCG7 beta, Callaway DBD, TM M1.

I've spent a lot of time thus far this season with the G400LST, Rogue SZ and M3, but not the F8+. In fact, I may have dropped some coin and may now own the first three. :busted2:

If I have more time later I may post more detail, but here's the cliff notes version for now:

LST: The most Anser-like of the current crop of drivers in the sense of just seeming to want to go straight for me. And it's a hair longer for me than the other drivers described below on average, and my longest drives with it are almost identical to my longest drives with the SZ. in short, I like everything about this driver except the dragonflybulator things. Given performance, feel, sound, etc. I'm willing to overlook the cosmetics. I've hit only the 8.5 head, and hit many balls in each of these settings: neutral, "small" minus and "large" minus. I've settled for now on the small minus setting, as it confers the most (but still not a lot of) anti-left bias available with this head/adapter. I can still over-draw this sucker at times, but like I said, it really wants to go straight. My numbers with the LST are pretty consistently around 300 total distance with 2000-2100 backspin. To directly answer your question about the LST relative to the Anser, I've experienced greater consistency on off-center hits with the LST. Simple as that. Completely nutted shots with the Anser and LST are similar, at least based on my recollection of my experiences with the Anser.

SZ: Similar performance to the LST on many, or even most, hits. Similar distance, similar spin. Launch is a weird, almost inapposite concept when comparing the LST and SZ insofar as I can achieve a similar angle with both, but to do so I'd play the SZ 10.5* head at -1 and the Ping 9* head at "small minus" (i.e., 8.4*). So the LST is higher launching with the same static loft, but to me that's unimportant given I can get to the same launch window easily with both with the aforementioned adjustments. Where the SZ falls a hair short of the LST FOR ME is that it has a tendency to go left more on me, and there is just a tiny bit less forgiveness for me on mishits. The former issue is a bigger deal to me than the latter. However, my tendency to over-draw the ball is so much more pronounced than it is for most decent golfers that I suspect that the "left" issue will be a non-issue for the vast majority of readers. A couple of minor points to note on the SZ... the sound is interesting and I could see some people reacting to it strongly, either positively or negatively. To me it sounds most like an aluminum baseball ball hitting a baseball. Also, the appearance is much cleaner and IMO more attractive than that of the LST. Doesn't make much difference to me, but I could see it mattering to some.

M3: Coming from the M1 2017, I was surprised at how differently the M3 performs and feels. The Y weight track seems not to work as well for me as the T track of the M1. This was not unexpected for me, as I played the M1 with the front weight well out toward the toe. That had a pronounced impact on left-right bias, creating a strong fade bias for me (or said differently, it tended to straighten out my sometimes overly draw-y draws). I don't think the M3 allows as much fade bias, and when both weights are back and toe-side, which is the most "fade" position, it still doesn't create as much fade bias as the M1 with the front weight out toward the toe. At least that's been my experience. And when you have the M3 weights in the back, it creates quite a high launch and increases spin. I feel like I would have to use an 8.5 M3 head to achieve a similar set of launch conditions to the 9.5 M1. In fairness, I could have experimented more with the M3 by setting the adapter to "lower, thereby decreasing loft from 9.5 and opening the face to create both some additional fade bias and lower launch, but there's a limit to how much tinkering I'm willing to do. But sorry, I digress...cutting to the chase, the M3 for me is very close to the SZ in performance overall. I'd say I'm a hair shorter with the M3 than the SZ (probably less than five yards), but slightly more accurate and with fewer hard-left misses. Spin for me with the M3 has tended to be in the 2300 range, total yardage a little below 300. I love the look of the M3, just a badass looking club, if you care about that sort of thing.

-My SS fluctuates in the 110-15 range (usually lower early in the season/colder weather)

-I've monkeyed around with a lot of different shafts. I can't get into all the detail, but I will note that at no point have I hit all three of the heads discussed above with the exact same shafts/lengths.

-I have on order an LST head at 8.5*, with hotmelt being added front and toward the toe to add a tad more fade bias. I'm pairing it with a Tensei orange 70TX at 44.75". At no point have I het this exact combo, but based on a ton of experimentation this season and in past years, I'm reasonably confident on an educated guess basis that this combination-- which represents a tweak to what I've tried thus far-- is going to get close to optimal numbers FOR ME based on MY SWING.

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone compared directly or had it on trackman vs 2017 m2?

Im blowing by my g400 lst with my anser by 10 yds or more.

Unless the g400 rolls out more once it gets nicer it's going to be up for sale!

If I needed forgiveness the g400 LST is definitely more forgiving and possibly straighter but if you're an effectively consistent guy already with the driver nothing is beating my ping anser.

Time and time again nothing can beat it. I hear all these crazy reviews on the g400 and it probably would be that great for me too if I didn't have the Anser but since I have the anser my reviews go way down

If youre only comparing ping drivers then g400lst is easily the best they’ve made. Lost count on how many normal feeling drives i have hit only to find it 10-20 past where I expected it to be. Its really long in dry conditions

Ping and M2 preferrably but my G400 LST isnt close to carry as my ANSER, its good forgiving and straight but not as long

• 5 months later...

How did the PO and lst head work?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN