2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Practice vs Play

wmblake2000

I went to range and w/ some credit to this thread,hunkered down on meta awareness for all 70 balls. Not easily done plus it took me longer to hit them and was more fatigued when finished. Basically approached every shot like it was course play.It's one thing to have a target and visual or a focus it's another to discipline mind to process, turn on auto-pilot and then go quiet and just absorb, then rinse & repeat.

What I got out of it was functional reps that can be utilized in course play. A training of mind to body and body to mind communication, I swung okay but not at peak and yet aside from a few poor Driver swings hit solid enough that on the course, I would be ecstatic with the consistency. Process was away from ball feel free to be internal and dictate objectives, as I approach ball, practice drill (akin to Justin Rose's) to tune to feel mode, follow through and catch a visual. With little dithering address, go auto-pilot (conscious mind is now in observational, spectator mode) & pull the trigger,. Absorb, assess, ponder, step away rinse & repeat.

What has always been vexing is how free I swing on the range and how imprisoned I am on the course. Approaching practice in this way melds the two worlds and trains the mental side as well as the physical. A framework of pre & post shot routine established to keep mental game on track.Been passively aware of the mental thing in play but to practice it as thoroughly is new to me. Good day.

In my Focal Point System, which is about what you direct your attention/awareness on, there are four categories that have been proven to work well, in my interviews with top players over the past 50 years.

1. Target Picture - by far the most commonly reported focal point for the mind. Meaning you "picture" the ball in the sky in line with your target, or even a concrete object in the distance beyond the target.

2. Body - there is some risk in using this category, since the default mode that most golfers will use is to internally picture a moving body part, or they will "talk to" that moving body part. Both are forms of self-delusion that are quite common in golf, since the thinking mind does not have the ability to directly control high speed moving body parts with any kind of precision or reliability. It is why "swing thoughts" - at least the way most golfers define that term - do not work. Swing "feels" are a whole different animal. They can indeed work well as a focal point for the mind IF you already have a new movement pattern established past the 51% tipping point in your subconscious mind, ie already on the way to being a habit. There are two ways you can use your mind to focus on a body part using feel: you can simply hold the memory of the feel sensation that you get when you perform that new pattern correctly, and then hope that your subconscious mind "gets the message" (some degree of randomness here since often it will NOT get that message until you are closer to the 90% range of forming a habit), OR you can simply passively notice the feel sensations from any one body part, without any expectation that this kind of focus will create a new movement pattern. Focusing on your grip pressure, for example.

95% of the focal points in this category should be done through the feel channel. The other 5% are using auditory channel or your own inner voice saying the words "One-One" as a tempo cue (Anika won many times using that voice in her head as a focal point) Voice channel can also be used for Rhythm.

I never want my students to use ANY sort of visual imagery about their body. It tends to create a flinch and has a very poor track record for triggering a new movement pattern, unless you are well past the 90% mark of forming a habit.

3. Neutral or any non-golf focal point. Its a good one for folks with anxiety about the shot outcome. "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall..." or counting backwards from 100 are two examples.

4. Peak Performance states are positive emotional states like Confidence, Detachment, Courage, Calmness, Trust, Commitment, Freedom, etc. You access the emotional state and focus your attention on that emotional feeling in your body during the swing.

With few exceptions (and then only for advanced students) I never want my students to focus on the instrument/golf club (which can only be done through internal visual channel, ie fantasizing about the clubhead will never help and only tends to encourage more self-delusion, and tends to make you flinch or trigger Steering or Scooping or Hit Impulse). Feeling the weight of the clubhead in your fingers is another matter entirely, and works very well. And I never want them to focus on the ball or on impact between the ball and clubhead - that kind of focus is almost always present in golfers with the yips.

I am decent at feeling body position. This is the thing I actually am calling into question when I play - because it seems like it, too, creates subtle tension and doubt.

I have played a few times just totally distracted (your 3rd category). When I still drank, we closed a bar down one night, had a 7 am tee time, all I could think was to hum Blueberry Hill and shot a 74. Then I took a nap.

It's the 4th one that I am really thinking about. This isn't that mythical 'zone' kind of thing. It is a practice like any other, once you know how to access trust/confidence/etc and not have it be wholly dependent on circumstance. (See Viktor Frankl Man's Search for Meaning) This is how I think I will play my best golf; at least that's the theory I am going to test out pretty seriously.

But what i am also wondering is, sort of akin to the neutral focus, if you play with your conscious mind in 'receiver' mode vs 'director' mode it seems to play a role - like when TV announcers describe someone trying to save a shot. They recognize a feel and react to it.

So it is seeming to me that this is all optimized if I am focused on the things I know to do to enhance trust. Of course, I can be susceptible to pressure and choke, but so what? This practice should minimize that, too..

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

In my Focal Point System, which is about what you direct your attention/awareness on, there are four categories that have been proven to work well, in my interviews with top players over the past 50 years.

1. Target Picture - by far the most commonly reported focal point for the mind. Meaning you "picture" the ball in the sky in line with your target, or even a concrete object in the distance beyond the target.

2. Body - there is some risk in using this category, since the default mode that most golfers will use is to internally picture a moving body part, or they will "talk to" that moving body part. Both are forms of self-delusion that are quite common in golf, since the thinking mind does not have the ability to directly control high speed moving body parts with any kind of precision or reliability. It is why "swing thoughts" - at least the way most golfers define that term - do not work. Swing "feels" are a whole different animal. They can indeed work well as a focal point for the mind IF you already have a new movement pattern established past the 51% tipping point in your subconscious mind, ie already on the way to being a habit. There are two ways you can use your mind to focus on a body part using feel: you can simply hold the memory of the feel sensation that you get when you perform that new pattern correctly, and then hope that your subconscious mind "gets the message" (some degree of randomness here since often it will NOT get that message until you are closer to the 90% range of forming a habit), OR you can simply passively notice the feel sensations from any one body part, without any expectation that this kind of focus will create a new movement pattern. Focusing on your grip pressure, for example.

95% of the focal points in this category should be done through the feel channel. The other 5% are using auditory channel or your own inner voice saying the words "One-One" as a tempo cue (Anika won many times using that voice in her head as a focal point) Voice channel can also be used for Rhythm.

I never want my students to use ANY sort of visual imagery about their body. It tends to create a flinch and has a very poor track record for triggering a new movement pattern, unless you are well past the 90% mark of forming a habit.

3. Neutral or any non-golf focal point. Its a good one for folks with anxiety about the shot outcome. "Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall..." or counting backwards from 100 are two examples.

4. Peak Performance states are positive emotional states like Confidence, Detachment, Courage, Calmness, Trust, Commitment, Freedom, etc. You access the emotional state and focus your attention on that emotional feeling in your body during the swing.

With few exceptions (and then only for advanced students) I never want my students to focus on the instrument/golf club (which can only be done through internal visual channel, ie fantasizing about the clubhead will never help and only tends to encourage more self-delusion, and tends to make you flinch or trigger Steering or Scooping or Hit Impulse). Feeling the weight of the clubhead in your fingers is another matter entirely, and works very well. And I never want them to focus on the ball or on impact between the ball and clubhead - that kind of focus is almost always present in golfers with the yips.

I am decent at feeling body position. This is the thing I actually am calling into question when I play - because it seems like it, too, creates subtle tension and doubt.

I have played a few times just totally distracted (your 3rd category). When I still drank, we closed a bar down one night, had a 7 am tee time, all I could think was to hum Blueberry Hill and shot a 74. Then I took a nap.

It's the 4th one that I am really thinking about. This isn't that mythical 'zone' kind of thing. It is a practice like any other, once you know how to access trust/confidence/etc and not have it be wholly dependent on circumstance. (See Viktor Frankl Man's Search for Meaning) This is how I think I will play my best golf; at least that's the theory I am going to test out pretty seriously.

But what i am also wondering is, sort of akin to the neutral focus, if you play with your conscious mind in 'receiver' mode vs 'director' mode it seems to play a role - like when TV announcers describe someone trying to save a shot. They recognize a feel and react to it.

So it is seeming to me that this is all optimized if I am focused on the things I know to do to enhance trust. Of course, I can be susceptible to pressure and choke, but so what? This practice should minimize that, too..

When using a body focal point in feel, you are simply observing the sensations that arise when your mind is narrowly focused on that part. Could be the feeling of "coil/uncoil" in the muscles of your torso, for example. You are not directing those muscles in any way, simply letting your swing be whatever it is, but anchoring your mental focus in feel on those muscles.

I call it "Passive Body Awareness".

The issue you describe is a real one, meaning it is very easy to subtly try to interfere or "make better" how that body part is moving.

Takes commitment and practice to just passively observe those body part sensations, with no judgement at all.

A lot of these mental game issues really boil down to the "Golfer's Dilemma" (think "Prisoner's Dilemma") - which is that until you get your swing really good, there is always a tendency to hit some wildly offline shots, which causes doubt and loss of confidence, and then the endless "search" for the consistent golf swing begins once again.

Golfers spend decades on that wheel and never get off. Their default assumption is that all bad golf shots are due to bad mechanics, and they totally miss how the wrong use of the mind (both emotions and awareness and mental processing) can cause your body to flinch, which creates bad mechanics, which creates the bad shot outcome.

But the root cause is mental/emotional - mechanics do not exist in a vacuum.

Yips are just high intensity flinching.

Golfers spend decades on that wheel and never get off. Their default assumption is that all bad golf shots are due to bad mechanics, and they totally miss how the wrong use of the mind (both emotions and awareness and mental processing) can cause your body to flinch, which creates bad mechanics, which creates the bad shot outcome.

But the root cause is mental/emotional - mechanics do not exist in a vacuum.

Yips are just high intensity flinching.

Well to be fair, I absolutely had mechanics 6 yrs ago that reflected my 16 index. No amount of mental approach would have allowed me to be the 7 I am today.

BUT ... what I thought in this last round after several holes of just being awful and wrapped up in trying to do what I do on the range was actual performance in a round is more about things like rhythm and freedom. Your baseline improved from better mechanics but any give round is optimized by a focus on playing a very different game than intending to execute newly learned mechanics.

I know I am onto something... something you (and others) have talked about. Eager to play again. Actually it makes practice easier because I don’t have a kind of pressure on me to ‘get it.’ I’ll ‘get it’ when I do. Just pay attention. Slow down inside and pay attention- which I think is sort of your core message.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Part of this is that we are all born into a culture that strongly believes in the separation of mind and body. Those roots go all the way back to the Greeks.

Neuroscience shows that to be a total myth. Not even close to being true.

Mechanics do not exist in a vacuum, we are not robots (yet!) and how our body moves in the golf swing is partly from established habit patterns (unconscious!) and partly from deeply rooted beliefs about things like impact, swing shape, how the club should be used, what makes a ball go straight and power. Those beliefs are a blend of conscious and unconscious.

What mechanics is NOT is a choice - unless you are moving in slow motion. Yet most golfers persist in believing in the myth that golf swing body mechanical changes are a choice. Random Reinforcement Syndrome just makes that myth so much stronger.

It's tough for folks to see through that myth, since they sometimes hit good shots "thinking mechanics", and they assume that their "swing thought" created the good shot.

I work with 16 handicaps all the time on their mental game, and that alone can reduce their index by about half. It really is that influential.

Does not mean mechanics aren't really, really important - of course they are.

It just means "doing mechanics" and "thinking mechanics" are two totally different animals.

I teach my students how to "do mechanics" without the need to "think mechanics".

A lot of golfers are "thinking mechanics" but are certainly not actually in objective reality "doing those mechanics".

I went to range and w/ some credit to this thread,hunkered down on meta awareness for all 70 balls. Not easily done plus it took me longer to hit them and was more fatigued when finished. Basically approached every shot like it was course play.It's one thing to have a target and visual or a focus it's another to discipline mind to process, turn on auto-pilot and then go quiet and just absorb, then rinse & repeat.

What I got out of it was functional reps that can be utilized in course play. A training of mind to body and body to mind communication, I swung okay but not at peak and yet aside from a few poor Driver swings hit solid enough that on the course, I would be ecstatic with the consistency. Process was away from ball feel free to be internal and dictate objectives, as I approach ball, practice drill (akin to Justin Rose's) to tune to feel mode, follow through and catch a visual. With little dithering address, go auto-pilot (conscious mind is now in observational, spectator mode) & pull the trigger,. Absorb, assess, ponder, step away rinse & repeat.

What has always been vexing is how free I swing on the range and how imprisoned I am on the course. Approaching practice in this way melds the two worlds and trains the mental side as well as the physical. A framework of pre & post shot routine established to keep mental game on track.Been passively aware of the mental thing in play but to practice it as thoroughly is new to me. Good day.

Hey Nard, I tried the same approach this afternoon, with one exception. I spent the first half of the balls doing a drill. Then the second half pretty much as you described - with the goal of passive feeling the swing as it happens plus focus on trust/confidence/etc. This is no easy thing to do - miss a shot and immediately I do what Jim described. I did rehearse the feels I wanted to make but then during the swing just tried to feel it happen and trust. I think this is a great way to practice.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

A lot of golfers are "thinking mechanics" but are certainly not actually in objective reality "doing those mechanics".

Been there, done that. I have always used a camera to deal with this, but I think this is now maybe counterproductive, in the main.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Jim - was going to pm you this question but figured I’d post it here. Do you have an explanation for take some place from the range to the course that makes it harder to keep a “feel” in mind?

For myself, I’ve been working hard on a more centred turn, allowing hips and shoulders to rotate more, rather than just moving off the ball. On the range it feels like I have plenty of time to really feel that turning in the backswing, and I can feel the difference from my previous motion. On the course can replicate the feel on practice swings, but the moment I step over the ball everything starts moving quickly and before I can even feel that turning I’ve made a barely 3/4 backswing and the ball is off god knows where. The sensation is that time moves much faster, and as a result I find it almost impossible to take well developed “feels” onto the course.

This sensation “scales” if that makes any sense, in that the more nervous I am, the harder the tee shot, the worse it feels. I’ve tried to consciously just make a slower swing, use an neutral focus, shift to a target focus all to little success?

Any ideas? That is a ramble for sure but also the first time I’ve tried to articulate the sensation. Thanks!

Jim - was going to pm you this question but figured I’d post it here. Do you have an explanation for take some place from the range to the course that makes it harder to keep a “feel” in mind?

For myself, I’ve been working hard on a more centred turn, allowing hips and shoulders to rotate more, rather than just moving off the ball. On the range it feels like I have plenty of time to really feel that turning in the backswing, and I can feel the difference from my previous motion. On the course can replicate the feel on practice swings, but the moment I step over the ball everything starts moving quickly and before I can even feel that turning I’ve made a barely 3/4 backswing and the ball is off god knows where. The sensation is that time moves much faster, and as a result I find it almost impossible to take well developed “feels” onto the course.

This sensation “scales” if that makes any sense, in that the more nervous I am, the harder the tee shot, the worse it feels. I’ve tried to consciously just make a slower swing, use an neutral focus, shift to a target focus all to little success?

Any ideas? That is a ramble for sure but also the first time I’ve tried to articulate the sensation. Thanks!

What you describe is very close to how it is for me. I have concluded that forget about taking the swing I make on the range to the course until it is really really really stamped in place. The whole 'speeding up' mental thing you describe is exactly the issue. I just can't get my focus as refined in a round as on the range. And trying to do that (and lord knows I have tried to do that!!) just creates tension and disrupts rhythm/tempo.

This is why I have been thinking that focusing on getting into a more passive/witnessing, more trust/confidence oriented focus makes more sense while playing. It doesn't mean I don't want to keep making improvements in my mechanics, but it does mean that these have to actually get programmed into my psyche/body to rely on them on the course to the level I see them at the range.

The more I think about this, the more sense it makes to me. It is a big change in my mindset.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Yeah, I don't think many people have hit their best shots thinking about a certain move (it has happened for me, but it's very hard to replicate). But just hitting the ball, that's easier to result in multiple good shots IMO. It's just that when golfers hit a bad shot on the course, they are immediately trying to figure out what went wrong rather than trust their swing. Easier said than done LOL.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Awesome thread wmblake!

We definitely don't talk about some of these mental aspects enough on this board.

A lot of people do feel like it is necessary to concentrate on something during the swing, but like Jim says, that is often a detriment.

If you allow (or train) yourself to be free of conscious thought and just be aware of your "SELF" when you swing, some really cool things can happen. You free yourself of tension, anxiety, worry ect. Your body is then allowed to create the best possible version of the swing that you currently have. (As Jim said, there is a tipping point when learning new mechanics. It's also way easier to detach yourself from the outcome of the shot, and play much more level emotionally. If you really develop a strong mind/body connection you may even be able to learn how to "know" what you did in the swing. (For example; you might hit a hook, "examine" your mind/body connection from the swing, and discover that you left the clubface wide open during the downswing, and pulled up out of the swing flipping the club closed causing the hook.)

Awesome stuff!

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

What has always been vexing is how free I swing on the range and how imprisoned I am on the course.

Similar experience here.

There might be a schism in this topic which has to do with creating shots and performing a free swing.

Question: WillI still enjoy golf if I could emulate Mr. Hogans response to practice which is creating an anticlimax when playing the course?

The moment I think my game is ok,the course will eat me alive. Missed birdie chances that turn into bogey - overaggressive approach shots wasted beyond the green etc. Overdoing the effort leaves a bad taste. Most of the time I care for the process not the result but aggression or sloppyness lure all the time.

I often think about how natural resistance to change is and how much it is a fact in changing a golf swing.

Now, I am committed to changing how I focus my attention and wow there is an ocean liner of resistance to change. My whole mind-pattern is to focus on the feels and intent to reproduce these feels. But especially while playing I want to be more passive and receptive just to notice feels as they happen.

Meanwhile there are key feels I am still embedding. Here’s how I tentatively am practicing this.

Spend some time on drills and slow swings. For example, much earlier wrist co*k with the shaft more vertical. This feels so quick and speedy (head moves much faster early in backswing). That’s maybe all I am really trying to do better because a lot of stuff gets better from this. Well, that plus full shoulder turn. R shoulder deep is also a focus.

Then half of the practice - step away after each swing, get a target, rehearse the motion, then address the ball and focus on trust and awareness of feel.

That stepping away and not getting mechanical especially after a bad swing is the challenge! It’s hard to let my focus return to observing and not trying to fix something. But I think that is a key change worth doing.

I have used a camera a lot over the years. I am using it much less now because I want feel to tell me if I am doing something instead of off-loading responsibility to the camera.

I have started using this swing speed radar. I will say this. My speed yesterday on the range using this approach was the fastest I ever saw.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I like what Wil Robins says about “practicing hard to play easy”. Create in-play scenarios that you have to accomplish (picking a 75 yard target and hitting 8 of 10 balls to within 10 feet) before moving to the next exercise. Do it until you reach the goal. This certainly must be preceded by being able to hit the ball but I find that overthinking swing mechanics makes it more difficult for me. I’m thinking “just hit the ball to the target like you have a thousand times before”. If I am thinking about my right elbow in my backswing during a round, it may be a long day. That being said, I am trying to work in a new driver and spent some time yesterday just swinging it easy to get rhythm with it. As an overriding principle, I want to replace focusing on my swing and implementing strategies to help create more scoring opportunities. In my practice, I am trying to create pressure scenarios (make 8 of 10 putts from 4 feet, getting up and down in two 8 of 9 holes) that replicate the pressure of standing over shots during a round to build confidence when the pressure is on during a round.

Are you gonna eat your fat?

What has always been vexing is how free I swing on the range and how imprisoned I am on the course.

Similar experience here.

There might be a schism in this topic which has to do with creating shots and performing a free swing.

Question: WillI still enjoy golf if I could emulate Mr. Hogans response to practice which is creating an anticlimax when playing the course?

The moment I think my game is ok,the course will eat me alive. Missed birdie chances that turn into bogey - overaggressive approach shots wasted beyond the green etc. Overdoing the effort leaves a bad taste. Most of the time I care for the process not the result but aggression or sloppyness lure all the time.

This is where the topic is key. I don't bring same swing to every shot or hole or round. Body, mind and terrain is always in state of flux. Days, moments I can pump it, at times, not so much. So the whole mind set of absorbing state of things at that moment can lead to better decisions and keep derailment of play at bay. Can lead to positive nudges of swing mechanics faster and turns 4 1/2 wasted hours to something more fun. Big maturation this year is I don't check out and scores are an afterthought, and usually go home happy All complete opposite of prior three seasons. Where I've fallen short here is practicing that awareness, by employing it in practice too. Hard to progress on that stuff playing once a week, for 6 months out of the year, So I feel that adjustment is necessary.

The purpose of practice is to consciously ingrain all aspects of making the shot including swing mechanics.

Playing is completely different. Before I near the ball I take in all that's needed that may affect the shot, including obstacles and bailout area; then a moment directly behind the ball to visualize and concentrate on the line of my shot for a moment then address the ball. At that point, I don't think about much else other than a good takeaway and keeping my head down. :beach:

This is kind of my question. I was even wondering if I wanted to deliberately think about even the simple thing like good takeaway. It seemed to me like the goal - maybe the entire goal- was to trust and that was the core conscious intention.

But this is just an early theory for me. Eager to test it out!!

Like shooting a gun, hitting a golf ball is instinctive for me. Excellent hand-eye coordination plays a significant role as I see the ball and hit it. That said, there are fundaments in most all activities that must be taken into account when learning them.

Also, testing theory won't change the core reality each of us copes with when learning. Most people are ignorant when it comes to their learning process.

If I recall there are seven main styles of learning. Visual (watching a demonstration) and Physical and Solitary make learning easy for me because I know what to consider. And I am highly educated, go figure. :lol: For example, if a person learns through "aural" but the process provided is "logical" or "visual," the student is likely to struggle. Figure out which style(s) fit and hopefully learning a subject such as swing mechanics may come more natural.

PS; this is one of the core issues I have with most golf instructors. They are not very sophisticated so teach how they learn, as opposed to being aware of the learning variables of their students and instruct accordingly. Have a good day. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Ok, round one of playing with a different approach. Hit 12 greens. Among my top 10% ballstriking days. I followed my intended process on all but 2 swings. This was very exciting to me.

Process: behind the ball, rehearse whatever feel made sense to rehearse. Pick a target, imagine the shot, how it felt to make it. Address the ball. Check posture. Relax mind and body, no intention other than to trust. Swing. Forget the outcome ASAP.

A few things really struck me. I was playing very well front nine. Had hit 5/6 greens. Par 5, I had a short pitch, maybe 50 yards for 3rd shot. All of a sudden got nervous, had negative expectation out of nowhere, but was able to refocus, make a half decent pitch. Took real work to let go of this image. Conclusion: my mind will think whatever it does. I noticed this in my swing. My intent was no swing thoughts, but they arise anyway. Pay them no mind. Don't try to get rid of them, don't pay attention to them. Just trust and stay alert.

This was the most I ever tried to play relying on simply focused on trusting whatever swing I had. One guy I was playing with - a stick who was having a bad day, but wow did I want to make his turn away from the ball - anyway, his comment to me that my tempo had stayed smooth and constant all day.

So, first test was a rousing success!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

After enough years of practicing ( mostly correct mechanics etc) the playing becomes very intuitive.

Getting out of the way is the hard part, trusting what's been practiced and let it go can be really liberating !

This is a great summary of how I tried to play today. My swing still isn't as sound as I want it to be, but what I am starting to believe that this isn't as big a deal as trusting and letting it go. I mean, I still want to make a fuller shoulder turn, shallow, whatever. But I can play and score with what I have. At least to a point that satisfies me.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Watch the video on this link. He talks about a mental state of 'allowing' rather than 'trying' and being process orientated rather than outcome orientated. I've no idea about the product involved but the thoughts may resonate with you.

http://www.ownmyswing.com/iFocusband.php

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

I think there is something in your approach.

Two sundays ago in a stableford competition I hit my first ball OB. I was trying a new 17 degree hybrid because of driver problems, much to the amusement of my buddy. It's a 540 par 5 which I struggle to reach in 3 anyway so I wanted a fairway finder. He had hit his ball with his driver producing a big fade into the first cut on the right.

I took a second ball and was swinging the club in my hands just feeling it really. Not practice swings just an idle non analytical fluid motion. I became a bit detached and kept the feel and replicated the feel. The swing felt smooth, effortless and hardly any power.

The ball went dead straight 198 yds about 5 yds passed my buddy - surprised us both.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

. Not practice swings just an idle non analytical fluid motion. I became a bit detached and kept the feel and replicated the feel. The swing felt smooth, effortless and hardly any power.

The ball went dead straight 198 yds about 5 yds passed my buddy - surprised us both.

Part of the deal is the desire to swing like I do on the range. Forget it. Range swings are usually better. Stop trying!

Detached, fluid, non-analytical - these definitely describe what I am trying. I still spend some time on the range in analytical mode, trying to repeat moves/feels that are better, but with even more patience about how long it will take to get these to the course.

But, on the range anyway, when I am practicing this relaxed confidence focus, my swing speed is as fast or faster than I have seen with this radar thingy. This did translate on the course for the first 5-6 holes, but then I lost a little speed. No idea why. Didn’t try

To fix it, just hit one more club.

I am tempted to say ‘we’ll see if this holds’ - there’s a lot of placebo effect in golf (see new clubs!). But I am thinking I will commit to this regardless. It just feels like it’s a better way to play and in every way.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

. Not practice swings just an idle non analytical fluid motion. I became a bit detached and kept the feel and replicated the feel. The swing felt smooth, effortless and hardly any power.

Part of the deal is the desire to swing like I do on the range. Forget it. Range swings are usually better. Stop trying!

Detached, fluid, non-analytical - these definitely describe what I am trying. I still spend some time on the range in analytical mode, trying to repeat moves/feels that are better, but with even more patience about how long it will take to get these to the course.

But, on the range anyway, when I am practicing this relaxed confidence focus, my swing speed is as fast or faster than I have seen with this radar thingy. This did translate on the course for the first 5-6 holes, but then I lost a little speed. No idea why. Didn’t try

I am tempted to say ‘we’ll see if this holds’ - there’s a lot of placebo effect in golf (see new clubs!). But I am thinking I will commit to this regardless. It just feels like it’s a better way to play and in every way.

It's not placebo - you are certainly on the right track here with your discovery.

Conscious mind interference with how the subconscious mind instructs the body to move is a really Big Deal in sports performance, including golf, especially in golf!

Non-judgemental passive Awareness is the key to achieving real breakthroughs. It means training the mind to observe what the mind is doing or paying attention to.

Two neurological systems we use in learning and playing golf: a Feed Forward system of motor programs that are communicated to your body outside of conscious awareness/intent and a Feedback system of your conscious mind being aware in Feel Channel of what your body is actually doing.

You need the Feedback system to install new motor programs into the subconscious mind, which is why slow motion mirror work, and slow motion swings where your mind is in Feel are so important.

Once you have some level of imprinting of the new movement pattern, you have to take that next step of trusting it.

It's not placebo - you are certainly on the right track here with your discovery.

Conscious mind interference with how the subconscious mind instructs the body to move is a really Big Deal in sports performance, including golf, especially in golf!

Non-judgemental passive Awareness is the key to achieving real breakthroughs. It means training the mind to observe what the mind is doing or paying attention to.

Two neurological systems we use in learning and playing golf: a Feed Forward system of motor programs that are communicated to your body outside of conscious awareness/intent and a Feedback system of your conscious mind being aware in Feel Channel of what your body is actually doing.

You need the Feedback system to install new motor programs into the subconscious mind, which is why slow motion mirror work, and slow motion swings where your mind is in Feel are so important.

Once you have some level of imprinting of the new movement pattern, you have to take that next step of trusting it.

It’s especially not placebo if I stay committed. This all just makes sense and is a wonderful challenge.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ok the one area that is so frustrating is this slow motion work. Mirror is hard to come by but I am going to give this a full commitment, too. You were bang on in the how to play part so I’m just gonna dive into your how to practice part.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

For slow motion training I use a heavy club or I stand on a balance board.

Also I built a laser module (line laser) which represents and extends the face line on the ground. This last one creates better awareness of the face rotation.

It has been said here that swing keys hardly help to prepare in a shot making routine.

IMO during slow motion training the logic of language has a vital part to understand the swing and what the player is doing.

In preparation for a shot I sometimes like to retrieve certain parts of this training to support the feel I look for in a certain shot.

It provides confidence and structure during the rehearsal. After this point I zoom in on the target and strive to make it happen.

Still, most of the time I wish I could step in on the spot and perform freely within 10 seconds. Like John Daley.

Fred Couples made a similar remark about this after winning the Masters. He said that from a certain point in the final round he even did not line up anymore and just hit his shot.

Baudi (and others) thx. I was going to ask about slow motion practice. I do not understand your laser setup - how does that work?

I have never quite grasped how to do slow motion - I can do what i would call half speed (which is actually closer to 80% when I put radar on it!) but really slow swing feels - what, artificial, and like it is hard to get sense of balance and sequencing right.

So how do people that do this really do it?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Baudi (and others) thx. I was going to ask about slow motion practice. I do not understand your laser setup - how does that work?

I have never quite grasped how to do slow motion - I can do what i would call half speed (which is actually closer to 80% when I put radar on it!) but really slow swing feels - what, artificial, and like it is hard to get sense of balance and sequencing right.

So how do people that do this really do it?

Yeah I'm in same camp. Slow motion is non-confirming to me. I get better results by doing an isolated drill perhaps at 50% or so. I have several used for different body parts and points of swing. Isolate then incorporate then go full throttle. A sense of force has to be involved. Pure slow motion eliminates that, no?

Interesting thread. I must say that I play my best when basically all I think about is the target, mechanics are for the range. However, even just one bad shot on the course and my thoughts wander back to mechanics, "oh that hooked, because of X, I better make an adjustment", when most of the time it probably is more related to tempo than mechanics.

About 10-15 years ago when I started playing again in statewide type tournaments I was getting so nervous. I had played in HS and college when I was young, state amateurs, but just playing in even a city/club championship, I was having problems. I joke that I developed my own system, "JHTDB", which really is a lot of what you are talking about here. Pick a target and JUST HIT THE DAMN BALL, and stop thinking. ;)

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron KBS TGI 90, ZX 5 MKii 5,6,7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

This is a really interesting topic, fascinating stuff.

Adam Young has a great section in "The Practice Manual" (or his online NLG course) where he talks about the locus of attention. In a very small nutshell there are 5 different things you can focus on during the swing:

1. Internal - a focus on the movement of a specific body part (e.g. moving left shoulder, rotating hips)
  2. External process - focus on what you want to happen as a result of the movement (e.g. focus on striking the center of the face, making ball first contact etc)
  3. External result - focus on the ball flight or the result (e.g. focus on trying to hit a draw, or holing the putt)
  4. Neutral - focus on something unrelated to the performance of the shot (e.g. humming, "back-hit", counting in your head)
  5. Transcendental - this is essentially what people refer to as being in "the zone" where you have no conscious thoughts but performance is high

You can test these for yourself and figure out what works best. The first two are best for changing a movement, but the lower 3 are likely better for performance. Making a swing change moves from 1, to 2, through to 5.

Everyone is different and what works for you might not work for others. It seems like OP found a thought that is external, but still enables the body to move in the desired way. I think that is what happens when practicing a movement becomes "ingrained", i.e. you can trigger a more right path just by thinking about how you want to strike the ball, rather than how you want to move the body.

Great book by Adam Young along with his “Strike Plan”.

Been playing for 30+ years. After all set up to my target, I honestly do not remember how I swung the club. I just did.

It’s kinda weird. Some ask what I think of during the swing and I can’t answer. Been working so far