When to change from GI irons to player's irons?

Sunster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you use blades and absolutely no hybrids you shouldn’t even golf

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I play the 545’s and am off 6 and definitely am not changing any time soon. My friend’s instructor who used to play on the US tour uses the 565s because he doesn’t have time to practice and could do everything he needed to with the irons. So if a previous US tour player uses them they ar3 not too SGI for you.

That said of course switching is fun so go for it. As others have said you will probably just miss an extra green occasionally with a mishit.

Unless you use blades and absolutely no hybrids you shouldn’t even golf

You losing money?

Na but GI is for the weak willed, lazy and/or invalids.

/sarcasm

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Just looking at the srixon site,

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

Thank you. Perfect. :good:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

z545 are player's CB.

Agree. They are relatively small clubs.

Disagree. Very wide sole and deep undercut in the back = GI for sure.

pic22.png

Titleist Pro V1X

z545 are player's CB.

pic22.png

Incorrect. The blade length is short.

You must be one of those guys that thinks any iron that isn't a blade is GI.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Actually, I think the 565/585 fall under 'distance' players' irons. AP3, i500, P790, 919F kinda sticks?! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

z545 are player's CB.

pic22.png

:lol: So blade length is now the defining criteria then ? Got it. Thanks :rolleyes:

Titleist Pro V1X

z545 are player's CB.

pic22.png

:lol: So blade length is now the defining criteria then ? Got it. Thanks :rolleyes:

Depends. How would you categorize a Z545 if a +2 cap played them and conversely a 15 cap playing z965? If the very good golfer plays “GI” and the bad golfer plays blades in this instance who cares.

pic22.png

Depends. How would you categorize a Z545 if a +2 cap played them and conversely a 15 cap playing z965? If the very good golfer plays “GI” and the bad golfer plays blades in this instance who cares.

Who plays a club has nothing to do with the category of the club. And I am firmly on record as someone who doesn't care who plays what. Play anything you want to play for any reason you want to play it.

But IMO a club like the Z5s with an obvious cavity, a deep undercut and a wide sole is clearly a GI club.

I've read this board a lot and while I would agree that a true blade is generally smaller, including the blade length, I have NEVER read anything about the length of the iron head as being a determining factor for what category an iron would be considered.

puttingmatt had it exactly right IMO.

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

Titleist Pro V1X

pic22.png

Who plays a club has nothing to do with the category of the club. And I am firmly on record as someone who doesn't care who plays what. Play anything you want to play for any reason you want to play it.

But IMO a club like the Z5s with an obvious cavity, a deep undercut and a wide sole is clearly a GI club.

I've read this board a lot and while I would agree that a true blade is generally smaller, including the blade length, I have NEVER read anything about the length of the iron head as being a determining factor for what category an iron would be considered.

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

If the 545 has all the qualities of a GI iron then why is it players GI and not simply GI? Blade length.

Me personally, I don't think anyone should play GI or SGI irons. It's all BS.

To me it's opposite (to a point). Really good ball strikers that hit the center of the face and typically score in the mid-low 70's are the guys that have the game for small players irons. Most everyone else should be using GI irons.

I agree. To say nobody should use GI does not make sense to me. Not everybody plays a lot of golf, takes lessons, builds their own clubs, practices all the time, etc. A large portion of people do not have the time, some the financial resources or whatever to play and practice a lot of golf. I know many people who are decent atheletes but are married, kids, demanding jobs etc who maybe play 15 times a year. They use GI clubs as do I and they are what works for us. Give me a blade and I do not have the time to put the work in with them to practice all the time. I play for fun and enjoying time with friends. I shoot 78-85 consistently and I am happy with that for the time I have to play.

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

If the 545 has all the qualities of a GI iron then why is it players GI and not simply GI? Blade length.

As I mentioned earlier, *I* had NEVER read about blade length having anything to do with the "category" and iron was placed in.

Nevertheless, if you consider the 5s a "player's GI", then the 5s & 7s are "duplicates". Why would Srixon target 2 different irons at essentially the same group of golfers ?

The difference between the 5 & 7 is the deep undercut in the cavity and with depth/width of the sole. The 7 has a much narrower sole than the 5.

Now if you consider them the same, or the 5s being player's GI because of blade length, by all means feel free. :good:

Titleist Pro V1X

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

As I mentioned earlier, *I* had NEVER read about blade length having anything to do with the "category" and iron was placed in.

Nevertheless, if you consider the 5s a "player's GI", then the 5s & 7s are "duplicates". Why would Srixon target 2 different irons at essentially the same group of golfers ?

The difference between the 5 & 7 is the deep undercut in the cavity and with depth/width of the sole. The 7 has a much narrower sole than the 5.

Now if you consider them the same, or the 5s being player's GI because of blade length, by all means feel free. :good:

I didn't say the 5's were players GI, you did. I'd call the 545 a GI club, which could be an SGI if it had a slightly longer blade length. Z355 or something of that ilk would be the result. :swoon:

Do you hit the center of the clubface consistently with GI irons?

If yes then try "player" irons but stay GI on 4 and 5 irons.

If no then stay GI.

It's that simple. If you can't hit the center of the clubface consistently then your scores will suffer going away from GI irons.

Great and solid advice , for anyone

looking to switch irons.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I think the time to change occurs when your handicap gets near the 10 range and you become more interested in fading/drawing the ball at will. Good news is we have some golf companies that make great irons that blur the line b/w players irons and GI irons i500’s, 919 forged, AP2, etc. Nice compact heads with quite a bit of forgiveness built into them.

I've been playing Srixon 545s for the past 2 years but the Ho has me looking at 765s or P770s for a bit of a change. I'm now down to a 12 index.

Just wondering how good a player people here were before they made the change to player's irons?

IMO changing irons is simply a matter of ball striking...I would buy new clubs as soon as you're comfortable hitting a 6 iron. It just takes practice.

FYI - your handicap will drop like a rock if you practice chipping to within 3 feet; and making 4 foot putts. You won't get there from the fairway.

I've been playing Srixon 545s for the past 2 years but the Ho has me looking at 765s or P770s for a bit of a change. I'm now down to a 12 index.

Just wondering how good a player people here were before they made the change to player's irons?

There isn't THAT much difference between the 545 and the 765. Buy a 765 6-iron and put it in the bag. Play with it for a month or so. If it works better, pick up the rest of the set. if not, your 545's are good irons.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

I didn't say the 5's were players GI, you did. I'd call the 545 a GI club, which could be an SGI if it had a slightly longer blade length. Z355 or something of that ilk would be the result. :swoon:

My apologies. I was "concentrating" on the GI part of puttingmatt's description, not the "player's" part.

My bad. IMO, 5s are GI.

Sorry about that.

Titleist Pro V1X

945's blade

745's players forged cb

545's players gi

My apologies. I was "concentrating" on the GI part of puttingmatt's description, not the "player's" part.

My bad. IMO, 5s are GI.

Sorry about that.

No worries. BTW, that's the first I've read the term players GI.

The correct answer to your question is to switch when you are determined to put in the amount of work necessary to play players irons.

I started playing golf at age 22 and my first set of irons were blades. I knew I would love the game and would put in the work necessary to become good at it. Before buying my MP 32's I had a set of shovels purchased at Walmart that I used for a couple of weeks just to make sure I will really enjoy the game. I was hitting that PW about 140y. When I got my MP 32 PW, I couldn't hit it past 90y (due to poor contact that was masked by shovels). A couple weeks later, I was hitting MP 32 PW 135y.

I went from complete beginner to 6 handicap in under 12 months (while working full time and going to school full time, all while being married). Getting down to scratch took another decade, as that is really the hardest jump to make in golf.

I am still scratch today and play MP 4s now. I tried using cavity backs for a couple months and they actually hurt my game, so went back to least forgiving blade I could find on market.