Would you join a "Just Golf " course.

Scooterboy59

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I belong to a golf only facility. Great course, no tee times, great range and practice facility. It does have a great clubhouse, locker room, dining, etc. which are nice but underutilized. The place is made for golf. You don’t see people hanging around and meeting others. Show up and golf. I pull up, attendebt puts my bags on the cart, I take off while they park my car. No checking in. Great staff. Pace of play was the selling point for me and an outstanding course. Limited local membership with a national membership and a network of courses is the plan.

I joined my local course for $750 for one year with unlimited golf after 2pm and discount cart rates. I cant play in the club championship but the guys in the pro shop give me member pricing on whatever I buy in the pro shop. The resturant is not owned by the club so no perks either way. Works for me as I work 6am to 2pm with Tuesdsys and Wednesdays off. Great deal for me! I dont get the shared country club benefit worldwide, but I do get on at their sister courses for cart fee.

I just roll my eyes at the deals in mid-America & the UK. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have gotten a membership at a course with reasonable minimums (<$1,000), an above average kitchen, nice facilities, no extras on a fabulous that I can get to in 25 minutes (no traffic).

Dues $2,000????? Only in dreams (and our season is only 7 months max).

I was a member at one.

I wish it wish it had been a full blown club with all the trappings, as the addage "you get what you pay for" is 100% true. The cost was cheap, the course layout was awesome, but everything else sucked. Tournaments were a joke, proshop was a joke, food was a joke, course management was a joke.... etc. I eventually quit when they lost the greens for a 2nd winter in a row.

I'd go play with my buddies at their private clubs and it used to piss me off at what I was missing.

It wasn't about the money, it was the fact that I LIVED on the "public course you could join", in an awesome neighborhood. I would have to commute 20 minutes to the closest private club I actually liked and would join. I could never justify it, unfortunately.

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

How do courses like #1 pay for a grounds crew and staff? I always thought a decent amount of a clubs revenue came from the F+B side of the house. Seems like it would be hard to sustain a model where you are getting an A+ greenskeeper/crew *and* the dues are inexpensive *and* there aren't a ton of members.

Sounds great but you wont find anything like that in Northern VA. My wife and I joined a small club that is perfect for us. Small but very nice clubhouse, great bar, small pool. No gym or tennis or anything else.

Mind if I ask which club?

How do courses like #1 pay for a grounds crew and staff? I always thought a decent amount of a clubs revenue came from the F+B side of the house. Seems like it would be hard to sustain a model where you are getting an A+ greenskeeper/crew *and* the dues are inexpensive *and* there aren't a ton of members.

F&B loses money everywhere. It's a vicious cycle for those clubs that don't value their clubhouse/dining facilities - F&B loses money, so you pump more events, weddings, etc. through it to cover the losses, and to get more weddings, you need bigger facilities, which creates bigger losses.

You can pretty easily maintain a golf course (in the Northeast) at a private club standard for ~$1.5M a year in cost. Call it 400 members at $2,500 each gets you to $1M; throw in a handful of Monday events and guest fees and you've got yourself covered.

I just roll my eyes at the deals in mid-America & the UK. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have gotten a membership at a course with reasonable minimums (<$1,000), an above average kitchen, nice facilities, no extras on a fabulous that I can get to in 25 minutes (no traffic). Dues $2,000????? Only in dreams (and our season is only 7 months max).

We have a mix here (northern mid-America), but the higher end ones -- and they're by no means old-money high-end -- are well above $2-3k in dues. $500-600 monthly, plus a few k upfront, plus a few hundred quarterly F&B are typical for that level. Can still be affordable, but the short golf season means that if you're in it for only golf, you're effectively paying $1000+ for each golf-able month.

I just roll my eyes at the deals in mid-America & the UK. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have gotten a membership at a course with reasonable minimums (<$1,000), an above average kitchen, nice facilities, no extras on a fabulous that I can get to in 25 minutes (no traffic). Dues $2,000????? Only in dreams (and our season is only 7 months max).

We have a mix here (northern mid-America), but the higher end ones -- and they're by no means old-money high-end -- are well above $2-3k in dues. $500-600 monthly, plus a few k upfront, plus a few hundred quarterly F&B are typical for that level. Can still be affordable, but the short golf season means that if you're in it for only golf, you're effectively paying $1000+ for each golf-able month.

Yes that sounds about right...... I'm sure that I play as much as anyone at our course (i.e. top 10% of rounds played and have not played a whole lot of "away" games). I won't tally them but sure by the end of the year each round will average $75..... And yes worth it.

My course (Dakota Dunes in Saskatoon) is just golf, and I would never join a country club with the extra curricular stuff that members are expected to do at other courses.

It still has a good driving range and practise green. The clubhouse which is a few years old has basic food but its not like other country club restaurants.

$1,000 for my twilight membership, any day after 2pm.

I am a member of option 1. Used to have tennis, boat launch, pool and restaurant.

Now just golf. $200/month

Just kind of curious, how has the change impacted membership?

My club has discussed this a bunch. The dining room and the overhead that it brings is just unsustainable with a diminishing membership. The fear is that we'll lose a handful of social members, but I am curious to hear if the reduction of amenities actually increased membership at all?

#1 is basically what the vast majority of clubs in Britain are. There's usually a pro shop, bar and restaurant maybe some practice facilities but all your membership gets you is golf. The #2 option are the ones that have struggled over here and have usually gone down a route of corporate and society venue. Just shows how things vary area to area

I am a member of option 1. Used to have tennis, boat launch, pool and restaurant.

Now just golf. $200/month

Just kind of curious, how has the change impacted membership?

My club has discussed this a bunch. The dining room and the overhead that it brings is just unsustainable with a diminishing membership. The fear is that we'll lose a handful of social members, but I am curious to hear if the reduction of amenities actually increased membership at all?

I think for a lot of UK clubs the catering side is what makes them profitable (those that are). I know one course that closed temporarily because the local council withheld its catering license. Our course offers wedding packages and has a restaurant that while basic does attract a lot of locals for Sunday lunch.

I joined my local course for $750 for one year with unlimited golf after 2pm and discount cart rates. I cant play in the club championship but the guys in the pro shop give me member pricing on whatever I buy in the pro shop. The resturant is not owned by the club so no perks either way. Works for me as I work 6am to 2pm with Tuesdsys and Wednesdays off. Great deal for me! I dont get the shared country club benefit worldwide, but I do get on at their sister courses for cart fee.

I work from 5:15am til 1:45pm great for getting to play or practice. Wife gets off at 5. The only problem I work 2 other jobs, but still get to hit balls or play a few hole most days.

I'm also a member of #1. There is an awesome practice facility as well as 36 holes, a nice clubhouse with a full restaurant, a high end simulator in the basement. There is also a nice locker room with TV's and multiple showers, dedicated lockers if you choose. No monthly dues, no pool, no tennis...you can even bring your own beer out on the course!

I'm liking it more and more now that I think about it lol.

1) Yes

2) No

3) N/A

+1

The current club I'm at has fine dining, lounge, fancy locker room and banquet hall, etc... but I really only use the practice facility and golf course. Only eat in the lounge a few times a year now, and would be just as happy eating elsewhere.

Currently the after 1pm wouldn't work for me, as I have a newish baby at home and the best time for me to golf is early in the morning while she's still sleeping. This metric is very YMMV though.

RE: wife, she doesn't care as long as it doesn't impact her quality of life. I recently requested a membership packet from another club down the road from my current one that will cost about $65k to join (not equity, just initiation)... that was the only time she thought it was a bit much, but since I can't justify it either, it's a non issue.

$65,000 initiation fee and NON- equity?? I have to ask, where do they get away with this?

Basically everywhere in the Northeast.

Truer words have never been spoken. I live in Connecticut and finding a membership at a decent deal is all but impossible

Connecticut resident myself. I have to agree. Great River Golf Club has an intriguing offer though.

MountainGoat - I agree, but it’s similar to what has been said about CC dues, hard to make cost effective. There has to be non-financial benefits. For me, pace of play, no tee times, access to a top rated course, and great staff. It does help for me as we can golf year round too. Even though the course is 35 minutes away I still save at least 45 minutes a round. I can play 18 by myself in 3.5 hours including drive time. Being able to not need a tee time, drive up, hop in a cart and go is a real benefit. Also, quick pace of play is a goal of all the members.

1-yes, am already in this boat, 1k per gets unlimited play, range, cart. Used to be a cc with a pool and tennis. Went public 6 yrs ago. Pool was filled.in and now used for outdoor weddings. Tennis courts us d as a lot for the carts during winter.

2-possibly, but it would not work for me working full time to only be able to play certain times. I need a club that's cool with me going out early before any tee times, as I'll play before work during the week, summer mostly.

3-n/a

MountainGoat - I agree, but it's similar to what has been said about CC dues, hard to make cost effective. There has to be non-financial benefits. For me, pace of play, no tee times, access to a top rated course, and great staff. It does help for me as we can golf year round too. Even though the course is 35 minutes away I still save at least 45 minutes a round. I can play 18 by myself in 3.5 hours including drive time. Being able to not need a tee time, drive up, hop in a cart and go is a real benefit. Also, quick pace of play is a goal of all the members.

I hear you; good points. I just think that with golf-only courses, you can assess the benefits strictly in golf terms. In my case, none of the other benefits apply. The pace of play isn't better, I still have to deal with tee times, and the course isn't top rated. In fact, it's sub-standard. I used to have those benefits when I lived on a course and could just walk out the back door and play whenever I wanted. But, that course went out of business, and I moved away. My new course just isn't worth the money -- bad layout; bad conditions. As much as I like the idea of belonging to a neighborhood course, I don't want to be condemned to playing it 50 times a year just to financially break even. I bought a range card and practice there every day, but I don't like playing it.

1. Would you join a course that is just golf? No pool, tennis, fine dining, gym . It may have a snack bar. Golf course is great and dues are moderate say $2000 a year.

I love all the responses that go something like:

"That's exactly like my club! All we have is a golf course, a locker room appointed with the finest mahogany lockers and steam showers, a very modest bar with a selection of all the finest scotch and cigars, a dining room, a grill room (and the food is great!), valet parking, bag drop, and top notch caddy program. I'm so lucky to be at a club that's 100% golf and nothing else..."

My own experience with this was that I went on the waitlist for a club like Club #1 a while back; the club had a very well maintained 9 holes of golf and a very clean porta-potty adjacent to the 9th green. And nothing else. Cost was/is about $2,000. While I was waiting it out, I joined another full-boat country club, with all the sports/dining/family activities that entails. Cost was, well, more. My name came up at Club #1, and I didn't join. I came to appreciate everything at Club #2 and couldn't justify two memberships within a few miles of each other.

If Club #2 had never existed, I would have been very happy at Club #1...but where it was a choice, I'd rather have the option to do more than just play golf.

#1. That's all I'm interested in, a decent golf course and practice area. I am not interested in the "country club" services. In fact, they are a turn off for me.

I am happy with my set up. I play military base course, kept in fine shape. $27.00 for green fees with a cart. $2 for a bucket of balls. Post round sandwich, chips, drink, are under $5, believe it or not.

National anthem plays every morning and evening. Everyone takes their hat off and shows respect. Won't see anyone taking a knee.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

1. Would you join a course that is just golf? No pool, tennis, fine dining, gym . It may have a snack bar. Golf course is great and dues are moderate say $2000 a year.

I love all the responses that go something like:

"That's exactly like my club! All we have is a golf course, a locker room appointed with the finest mahogany lockers and steam showers, a very modest bar with a selection of all the finest scotch and cigars, a dining room, a grill room (and the food is great!), valet parking, bag drop, and top notch caddy program. I'm so lucky to be at a club that's 100% golf and nothing else..."

My own experience with this was that I went on the waitlist for a club like Club #1 a while back; the club had a very well maintained 9 holes of golf and a very clean porta-potty adjacent to the 9th green. And nothing else. Cost was/is about $2,000. While I was waiting it out, I joined another full-boat country club, with all the sports/dining/family activities that entails. Cost was, well, more. My name came up at Club #1, and I didn't join. I came to appreciate everything at Club #2 and couldn't justify two memberships within a few miles of each other.

If Club #2 had never existed, I would have been very happy at Club #1...but where it was a choice, I'd rather have the option to do more than just play golf.

While this scenario may exist, I don't see many responses you are referencing.

I used to be a cart boy at a "resort" course that is basically exactly what I'm searching for now that I live a few hundred miles away.

You could become a member for under $1,000. It's probably more now, but this was 15 years ago. That covered unlimited greens fees. If you wanted a cart, you'd pay for that. Tee times were reserved for member's before 9 am. After 9 am, tee times were open for members, resort guests, and the general public.

The course was excellent (and historic!) and the clubhouse had everything you'd need: basic supplies plus a grill for sandwiches and hot dogs and a cooler for beer and soda.

There was a pool, but I think it was used mostly by resort guests. Why in the world did I move? Now I can't find a public golf course for under $2,000 anywhere within a 30 minute drive of me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

While this scenario may exist, I don't see many responses you are referencing.

--------------

Yes to golf. A bar and a men's locker room to change my clothes and shoes. I need a place to hide from my wife and kids and play golf.

That's the way the Dye Preserve in Jupiter is. And it is my favorite place on the planet, so a hard yes from me

I belong to a golf only facility. Great course, no tee times, great range and practice facility. It does have a great clubhouse, locker room, dining, etc. which are nice but underutilized. The place is made for golf. You don't see people hanging around and meeting others. Show up and golf. I pull up, attendebt puts my bags on the cart, I take off while they park my car. No checking in. Great staff. Pace of play was the selling point for me and an outstanding course. Limited local membership with a national membership and a network of courses is the plan.

I'm also a member of #1. There is an awesome practice facility as well as 36 holes, a nice clubhouse with a full restaurant, a high end simulator in the basement. There is also a nice locker room with TV's and multiple showers, dedicated lockers if you choose. No monthly dues, no pool, no tennis...you can even bring your own beer out on the course!