2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Question for guys with golfing wife/GF

KSP

In a recent article from golf digest (I think), they asked golfers how satisfied they are with their golfing life/setup. Not related to scores, just overall satisfaction with the game. Not surprisingly, single guys were the most satisfied. Not far behind were married guys with non golfing spouse. What shocked me is that golfers with wife/gf who actually played golf had the lowest satisfaction, by far.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. I assumed that having a golfing wife made it a million times easier to get out on the course. I’m married and my wife doesn’t play. I get out a decent amount, but I’m always strategizing ways to make it to the course.

I was just wondering if anybody who has a golfing spouse or knows people who do, could explain why their satisfaction scores were so low.

DO NOT golf with the wife/GF/etc. Golf is ME time. I do tons of other random things with the ball and chain, leave me and my golf alone.

Wow, I have never referred to my wife or any other girl that I have been with as my "ball and chain". I suggest that if you really feel that way, you find someone else to be with. Sounds miserable to me.

My wife is an incredibly intelligent and successful woman who can easily stand on her own.

I couldn't imagine referring to her as a burden.

I married one of those. It was scary at first. Mine has a Dr. of Science in Systems Engineering and has led some pretty high-end Navy programs. Decent golfer, excellent cook, and pretty good scramble partner. How she ended up with me is still a mystery. I walk the line. :taunt:

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty of wonderful folks with wonderful personalities, great skills in various fields, like my wife, but that doesn't mean I want to play golf with them. Doesn't mean I think less of them, just don't wanna play golf with them. Or shoot with them. Or fish with them. Or boat with them. Doesn't mean I think they are somehow a life burden etc. No need to make this a guilt trip for anybody. :taunt:

Results are interesting...not sure I understand it 100%. My current wife golfs and honestly, I golf "less" since being with her than when I was in a previous marriage. Again, being honest...I basically used golf as an "escape" from my last marriage. In my previous marriage, I practiced a ton and I scored better so my satisfaction with my "golf life style" was extremely high, but I was very unhappy in general and if I had a bad round, my temperament got the best of me.

I play less golf now because I have a great wife, good friends and many other activities and events that occupy my time. At times, I reminisce about all of the "me time" I used to have on the golf course, but I also realize I was very alone and I believe I'm a much happier person today than when I devoted all of my time to golf (aka...my escape from a bad marriage).

[snip]

No, not what you think.

Good game lined up = game booked with friends and she does not have a spot in the group.

Some of my mates does not like female company on the golf course, which is fine too. I also like to have a few games in an all male group.

Variety is the spice of life.

P

The bad :

If I have a good game lined up, and she does not, it can be frustrating for her

I assume when you say that, you mean you're playing well? That's the one thing I found kind of funny. In the hundreds of rounds I've played with my wife, only on a couple select occasions have we both played well at the same time. Typically if it's her day, it isn't mine or vise versa haha

Sounds like another bogus or bias social media survey that targeted certain people. Bet an underlying motive is tied to cost for two players too. Every weekend golf costs me $200-$300.

I didn't marry till late, so I had plenty of time to enjoy myself, travel and compete in a few amateur sports all while building a company. Thus when I decided to marry, I expected to spend time doing all sorts of activities with my wife, golf being one. Oh, she was a golfer and tennis player before we met. My wife plays to a 12 and a buddies wife to 13, among other women I know. And each of them plays golf in all sorts of conditions and nearly every day on vacation. I don't need permission to play with the guys or go fishing, shooting or hunting, and she doesn't need permission to do what she want's with the girls.

My last two clubs had a rather large active women's club and more than one couples golf event per month. Yet, I know guys that never want their wife or GF playing golf, as golf is their way of getting away from the woman. Go figure. :beach:

These clubs are called Pine Valley, California GC of San Fransisco, and Butler National. No women members or severely restricted playing privileges. Call me a chauvinistic pig all you want but I rather enjoyed the atmosphere at PV. I was invited by a member and asked if my girlfriend could accompany, he said nope women were not permitted to play except Sunday after 1200 I think (may have changed since then) long story short I went to PV. She was a little annoyed to say the least, but we have been back a couple times as guests plus I took her to the Masters that year so we were good lol

Sounds like another bogus or bias social media survey that targeted certain people. Bet an underlying motive is tied to cost for two players too. Every weekend golf costs me $200-$300.

I didn't marry till late, so I had plenty of time to enjoy myself, travel and compete in a few amateur sports all while building a company. Thus when I decided to marry, I expected to spend time doing all sorts of activities with my wife, golf being one. Oh, she was a golfer and tennis player before we met. My wife plays to a 12 and a buddies wife to 13, among other women I know. And each of them plays golf in all sorts of conditions and nearly every day on vacation. I don't need permission to play with the guys or go fishing, shooting or hunting, and she doesn't need permission to do what she want's with the girls.

My last two clubs had a rather large active women's club and more than one couples golf event per month. Yet, I know guys that never want their wife or GF playing golf, as golf is their way of getting away from the woman. Go figure. :beach:

These clubs are called Pine Valley, California GC of San Fransisco, and Butler National. No women members or severely restricted playing privileges. Call me a chauvinistic pig all you want but I rather enjoyed the atmosphere at PV. I was invited by a member and asked if my girlfriend could accompany, he said nope women were not permitted to play except Sunday after 1200 I think (may have changed since then) long story short I went to PV. She was a little annoyed to say the least, but we have been back a couple times as guests plus I took her to the Masters that year so we were good lol

Yeah, you’re good, in that you have no actual future with her if you believe the s*** you unfortunately wasted precious time typing.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Yeah, you’re good, in that you have no actual future with her if you believe the s*** you unfortunately wasted precious time typing.

This is where reading the whole question before formulating a response is big, because if you go back to the first page of this thread, response twenty (20), you would find that I enjoy playing with my girlfriend of over 15 years. But I also enjoy the way some clubs are run, I say that about Pine Valley, said it about ANGC, and say it about the club I work now. But thank you for your concern about my time and how I spend it, much appreciated!

But are you still on her Instagram?

I understand both sides of the coin.

I enjoy playing golf with my wife. She has really taken to the game and now we go on 2-3 golf trips per year. She takes lessons, works on the range and does her own thing to improve.

She even shot an 85 this year in her club championship and is playing some good golf and now has a handicap in the teens.

I am lucky enough to play 4-5 rounds a week and I'll usually play a one or two rounds with her a week and a few with the buddies. She plays 1-2 rounds with her girlfriends.

Its a good balance.

No offense meant. During my corporate travels, I still encounter men that think they rule the world and want to keep women in place, controlled. Though we do business, I seldom socialize with them as our lives and values are very different.

Before it was required back in the late 70's, I chose a talented woman as one of my VP's. It was disappointing when I learned some of the guys didn't like my decision. Consequently, they were not around long, and we were better for it. There was a time when a golfing buddy and colleague decided to join an exclusive men (only) business/social club (not golf). Soon after he asked me to consider membership, but after visiting the club and seeing their treatment of women, I politely bowed out and found another comparable business/social club that was more contemporary.

Honestly, all clubs have the right to their own culture. However, there are a growing number of men like me that won't join any private club that limits other members in any way. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

No offense meant. During my corporate travels, I still encounter men that think they rule the world and want to keep women in place, controlled. Though we do business, I seldom socialize with them as our lives and values are very different.

Before it was required back in the late 70's, I chose a talented woman as one of my VP's. It was disappointing when I learned some of the guys didn't like my decision. Consequently, they were not around long, and we were better for it. There was a time when a golfing buddy and colleague decided to join an exclusive men (only) business/social club (not golf). Soon after he asked me to consider membership, but after visiting the club and seeing their treatment of women, I politely bowed out and found another comparable business/social club that was more contemporary.

Honestly, all clubs have the right to their own culture. However, there are a growing number of men like me that won't join any private club that limits other members in any way. :beach:

That is the big phrase there to each their own. Will I take up membership if invited? Probably not, but not because of the no women members part. (Not likely that I am up for membership, but you never know haha).

Will PV ever invite a woman to join? possibly, a lot members at PV are also members of ANGC. Will a club like Squires admit women? Absolutely not.

https://www.phillyma...last-boys-club/

My wife does not play, but caddies a couple times a year. Mostly riding but sometimes we walk. I usually play better with her around. I’ll admit, I do enjoy and need the time away from her as much as she does. A local course puts on a two day flighted tourney. Good fun with a variety of scores, descent skins pot as well as a two man best ball. My wife gave me the Masters’ experience one year as we walked the tournament. First and only time I’ve walked with a caddy. We had no idea we were being photographed on the range, but got some great pics from that day.

Full disclosure before the remainder of my post: I am now happily married and we have a 20 month old daughter that I handle 3-4 days a week and every Saturday, I don't play much these days.

I had an ex that played golf, which was fun for a while. The reality is that as the relationship went south golf became a stressful situation: I wasn't the happiest person around her, she caused me anxiety, and suddenly golf with her became a panic attack waiting to happen. Time to choose up sides.

If you don't have a great relationship, golfing with your significant other isn't going to be a great choice (it sure as hell didn't help our relationship any). However, using golf to get away from your significant other is a band-aid for a bigger problem.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

My wife does not play, but caddies a couple times a year. Mostly riding but sometimes we walk. I usually play better with her around. I'll admit, I do enjoy and need the time away from her as much as she does. A local course puts on a two day flighted tourney. Good fun with a variety of scores, descent skins pot as well as a two man best ball. My wife gave me the Masters' experience one year as we walked the tournament. First and only time I've walked with a caddy. We had no idea we were being photographed on the range, but got some great pics from that day.

Did she ever suggest you try and play right-handed?

I love my wife and love the fact that she plays but it’s a whole different game when I play with her. I can’t really focus on my game because I’m always helping her (not a bad thing, just different) and she has told me she doesn’t like to play with me because I’m too intense for her when I play. Lol.

I use golf as both an escape and to hang with my buddies. Anytime I play w the wife I have to say NO to the guys in my group. Fun to do a couple times per season and thankfully she’s not obsessed like I am about her golf.

My wife has given it a try or two but just never took an interest in the game. She came out a few times to hang out and drive the cart but that didn't last long. I get that it's boring, hot, not many bathrooms...etc. I really wish she would give it a try again so we can spend some time together but she is good with me golfing pretty much anytime. And I'm okay with that.

Chris-P

Results are interesting...not sure I understand it 100%. My current wife golfs and honestly, I golf "less" since being with her than when I was in a previous marriage. Again, being honest...I basically used golf as an "escape" from my last marriage. In my previous marriage, I practiced a ton and I scored better so my satisfaction with my "golf life style" was extremely high, but I was very unhappy in general and if I had a bad round, my temperament got the best of me.

I play less golf now because I have a great wife, good friends and many other activities and events that occupy my time. At times, I reminisce about all of the "me time" I used to have on the golf course, but I also realize I was very alone and I believe I'm a much happier person today than when I devoted all of my time to golf (aka...my escape from a bad marriage).

This is exactly me. My first marriage I practically lived at the golf course. I played 5-6 rounds a week, including 36 every Sunday (got to the course around 6:30 and didn't get home till 10:00ish). Went to the range a couple of times a week as well. I didn't realize at the time that is what it was, but now that I am happily married to wife #2, I understand it. I still love golf, but I love my life at home with my wife far more. My game has suffered immensely, but I am far happier in general. I'm not willing to sacrifice the time with my wife that it would take for me to get back to the level of golf I used to play.

This is exactly me. My first marriage I practically lived at the golf course. I played 5-6 rounds a week, including 36 every Sunday (got to the course around 6:30 and didn't get home till 10:00ish). Went to the range a couple of times a week as well. I didn't realize at the time that is what it was, but now that I am happily married to wife #2, I understand it. I still love golf, but I love my life at home with my wife far more. My game has suffered immensely, but I am far happier in general. I'm not willing to sacrifice the time with my wife that it would take for me to get back to the level of golf I used to play.

You're a good man.

No, not what you think.

Good game lined up = game booked with friends and she does not have a spot in the group.

Some of my mates does not like female company on the golf course, which is fine too. I also like to have a few games in an all male group.

If I had friends that had a problem with my wife playing a round with us, I'd just stop playing golf with them. I love my friends, but my wife is my best friend, and if they don't want her around, I don't need to be around them.

Having played enough singles and doubles tennis with the wife unit....so...no he does not want to play golf with her.

Of course, this is not publically disseminated information.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

My wife does not play, but caddies a couple times a year. Mostly riding but sometimes we walk. I usually play better with her around. I’ll admit, I do enjoy and need the time away from her as much as she does. A local course puts on a two day flighted tourney. Good fun with a variety of scores, descent skins pot as well as a two man best ball. My wife gave me the Masters’ experience one year as we walked the tournament. First and only time I’ve walked with a caddy. We had no idea we were being photographed on the range, but got some great pics from that day.

Now that is cuter than a spotted pup in a red wagon.

The poll results are kind of surprising. From the time we were dating, we decided that golf would be something we could do together. Once we had kids, we also brought them into the game. Our Sunday evenings in the summer were family golf nights and I wouldn't trade that time for anything. Now the kids are better than me and here we are, married 26 years and still playing golf.

Back in the day, my wife really only wanted to play together. After a few years, she gave the ladies 9 hole league a try and found out she was pretty good. Now she is about to retire and plans on playing in several of the leagues and now even goes on an annual golf trip to HHI with "the girls", who are a remarkably powerful and successful group of women. Have to admit that being a member of a club is very helpful in getting everybody into the game. If we were playing local courses, not so sure she would have gone down the same path.

The best part is she has absolutely no issue with me taking as many trips with the boys as I want and I can play pretty much whenever I want. Hard to beat that.

No, not what you think.

If I had friends that had a problem with my wife playing a round with us, I'd just stop playing golf with them. I love my friends, but my wife is my best friend, and if they don't want her around, I don't need to be around them.

I have variety of golf buddies (casual weekend hacks to more serious golfers). Typically, if I have weekend golf scheduled with the guys, it's usually planned out with a group of 3 other guys, but it has happened that we have an open spot and my wife has filled in from time to time. Any worries about a female playing golf with us is usually based on past experience or stereotypes that women are slow golfers and can't keep up. Most of those worries are put to rest when my wife out drives the guys (from the front tees) and they realize she can actually play golf.

Later when she's pushing her clubs down the fairway with a beer in one hand and cigar in the other, the questions of where I found such a wife begin...

No, not what you think.

I have variety of golf buddies (casual weekend hacks to more serious golfers). Typically, if I have weekend golf scheduled with the guys, it's usually planned out with a group of 3 other guys, but it has happened that we have an open spot and my wife has filled in from time to time. Any worries about a female playing golf with us is usually based on past experience or stereotypes that women are slow golfers and can't keep up. Most of those worries are put to rest when my wife out drives the guys (from the front tees) and they realize she can actually play golf.

Later when she's pushing her clubs down the fairway with a beer in one hand and cigar in the other, the questions of where I found such a wife begin...

My regular golf buddies and I range from 7-10 handicap. My wife is absolutely terrible at golf. If I counted every stroke and penalty she took, I’m willing to bet she would struggle to break 130. We played Wednesday afternoon, just the two of us, and finished in 3.5 hours, which included us waiting on every shot after 11 green when we caught the 3some in front of us who wouldn’t let us through. I actually had to holler at them on 16 to hit the ball because they were all just standing in the fairway looking around.

I don’t care how bad she sucks at golf, if she wants to play a round with me and my friends have a problem with that, I’ll choose her any day. Matter of fact, I haven’t played a round of golf without her since she started playing a couple of months ago, and would be perfectly happy if she played every round of golf with me from here out.

No, not what you think.

My thoughts exactly.

What helps is my 4 year old daughter loves golf because I got a simple backyard setup so she can just do what she wants in terms of wailing at a driver.

Now we play 9 every Friday. My wife joins us once a month.