Help me understand why kids walk off putts

kekoa

I only go halfway to read the break and that's it. On straight putts I don't even bother.

I think for Junior golfers is not a bad thing, but I think the coach or parent should be mindful of pace of play.

I love it when people venture to the Junior Section to give advice when they aren't regulars here. I see you have a 15 handicap. You do realize that the majority of these juniors we are talking about are better than you? Yet you venture over here to throw your 2 cents in. Maybe you are a 15 handicap because you are not looking at the hole from both sides. Thanks for nothing.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t see this much at the high school level. I don’t know why, I would assume that as your skill progresses you become more confident with your game and your ability to read a feel the green, so a simple two-way read will suffice. It’s jsut down to personal preference in the end, alright I’d prefer if people don’t. Played jsut the other day with a kid who did it, neared a six hour round because of his slow pace. Brutal.

No offense, but high school level golf is not a high level.

I dont think he was inferring that high school is high level golf. I assume its just what he has direct experience with. D1 College golfers nor pga players walk off putts. Hows that? ��

Tiger does this very similar routine these days, but from his book in 2001(?) he has walking the putt off in his routine. Now, he's not walking to or from the whole and counting out steps out loud, but he is walking the putt off.

Tiger Woods in his book How I play Golf says this.

"A good putting stroke requires smooth rhythm and a steady, repeating pace. One of the secrets to accomplishing that is to do everything else smoothly and repetitively, too.

I’m talking about my pre-putt routine, or the series of things I do before I actually pull the trigger with the putter."

His routine is:

• Take a general view of the putt while standing behind the ball
  • Walk to the hole and take a side view of the line to help determine the slope
  • Examine the area around the hole
  • Walk back to the ball and crouch behind it to get the most telling view of the speed and the break
  • Stand alongside the ball and make two rehearsal strokes
  • Move the putter behind the ball and then shift the feet forward
  • Take two more looks at the path of the putt and the hole
  • Stroke the putt

Show me one video of tiger walking off a putt and Ill send you $100 bill. Hurry you have 10 seconds tho.

I consider this walking off the putt. I will IM you my address for the $100 bill.

I only go halfway to read the break and that's it. On straight putts I don't even bother.

I think for Junior golfers is not a bad thing, but I think the coach or parent should be mindful of pace of play.

I love it when people venture to the Junior Section to give advice when they aren't regulars here. I see you have a 15 handicap. You do realize that the majority of these juniors we are talking about are better than you? Yet you venture over here to throw your 2 cents in. Maybe you are a 15 handicap because you are not looking at the hole from both sides. Thanks for nothing.

With all do respect, you are an @#$&*&. I wasn't offering any type of advice, and yes they are better than me.

I play to have fun, I guess a professional like you would never be caught playing with a 15 handicapper like me.

Get a life. Life is too short.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

With all do respect, you are an idiot. I wasn't offering any type of advice, and yes they are better than me.

I play to have fun, I guess a professional like you would never be caught playing with a 15 handicapper like me.

k8yev4.jpg

Practice? We talkin' about practice??? Lol?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

With all do respect, you are an idiot. I wasn't offering any type of advice, and yes they are better than me.

k8yev4.jpg

Lol, that’s what I said, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Referring to that Tiger video posted by Wildcatden:

LoL, now you are reaching. I hardly call that walking off a putt. He's looking at the line from the other side and walking back to his ball.

When I say walking off putts, I'm referring to those kids who start at their ball and walk all the way to their hole. They then tell their caddy: '24 paces'. Their caddy then tell them to use their 24 pace stroke. :taunt:

LoL, now you are reaching. I hardly call that walking off a putt. He's looking at the line from the other side and walking back to his ball.

When I say walking off putts, I'm referring to those kids who start at their ball and walk all the way to their hole. They then tell their caddy: '24 paces'. Their caddy then tell them to use their 24 pace stroke. :taunt:

Show me one post by wildcatden where I post a video of Tiger walking off a putt and Ill send you $100 bill. Hurry you have 10 seconds tho.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Wait.... What? People really do this?

I don't know much about baseball or even golf

But it seems like golf you need to be very very precise in putting because you have to stop the ball very close to the hole unless it goes in the hole

Baseball you don't have to stop the ball at a certain point

How can knowing the distance to the hole by counting steps be harmful?

Seems like it can only be helpful

But it seems like golf you need to be very very precise in putting because you have to stop the ball very close to the hole unless it goes in the hole

The point is that distance is instinctual. Give your kid a ball and have them toss it underhanded to you. I think you'll find that they don't need to know how far away you are to toss it into your hand.

But what if your hand isn’t there?

Where the ball stops depends on so many different factors

Most important being distance?

I bet you're fun at parties.

Didn't realize the Junior Section was so exclusive (I'm a single digit HC, am I good enough to post here?)

*cue the berating by this special guy because now I too, have added my 2c* (which is literally the entire point of an internet forum, BTW)

The point is that distance is instinctual. Give your kid a ball and have them toss it underhanded to you. I think you'll find that they don't need to know how far away you are to toss it into your hand.

But what if your hand isn’t there?

Where the ball stops depends on so many different factors

Most important being distance?

If your kid knew you were ten feet away would they throw it harder or softer than if they didn't know how far away you were? It's not like your putting without there being a hole in the way. What if they paced it off and it was 10 feet but uphill... do you still hit a 10 foot putt? How about a downhill left to right putt that you have to play three feet of break on? Still going to hit a 10 foot putt?

I don’t know

I am not a good player

But my daughter is athletic (strong, fast, coordinated) and she is learning fast

She could become a good player some day

She counts steps to hole

Should I tell her to stop?

All of our local tours use the AJGA pace of play policy. First player finished with a hole goes to the next tee while the others finish out. The Must, Must, May policy works.

Curious, how does that work when it comes to marking scores?

• Realize your group is "on the clock" as soon as you play from the teeing ground on your first hole.
  • Play ready golf throughout your entire round.
  • MUST, MUST, MAY
    • MUST – The first player to finish playing a hole MUST immediately grab their bag and start making their way to the next tee. In doing this the player walking ahead is expected to be quiet and courteous to its fellow-competitors. The player should periodically look back to watch the other player’s shots.
    • MUST – The player MUST also be the first person to play from the next teeing ground. This player must be getting their yardage and determining club selection while the other players are finishing the previous hole and walking to the tee.
    • MAY – This player MAY tee off if they want to. All players must confirm scores on the previous hole prior to leaving the tee.

[*]When spotters, officials or parents are available to help search for a potentially lost ball, the AJGA recommends that the other players go forward to play his next shot or shots and HOLD THE GROUP'S POSITION ON THE GOLF COURSE.

[*]WALK WITH A PURPOSE between shots!

In that case its ready golf correct? They dont give honors? Some kids want the tee first if they have honors. Maybe a mental thing, but to some it really matters.

I don’t come in here much but I’m just curious.... Are you telling me that six and seven-year-olds are walking off putts by counting how many steps they are from their ball to the hole?

WTF???!!!

Absoluteltly terrible idea. Kids need to learn to develope an ATHLETIC sense of feel not an ANALYTICAL sense of feel.

Spend hours on the putting green playing games with them. Their sub conscious will take care of the rest.

Counting steps? Wow

I don’t come in here much but I’m just curious.... Are you telling me that six and seven-year-olds are walking off putts by counting how many steps they are from their ball to the hole?

WTF???!!!

Absoluteltly terrible idea. Kids need to learn to develope an ATHLETIC sense of feel not an ANALYTICAL sense of feel.

Spend hours on the putting green playing games with them. Their sub conscious will take care of the rest.

Counting steps? Wow

Yes its happening a lot. I see it more among girls but a lot of the boys are doing it too. I try to teach my son to play in preparation for the future. He has the same routine everytime. I tell him one thing before he hits the ball and that’s ‘good swing’ from there its all him. On the green I ask him what he thinks and we go with it unless I see something totally different.

All of our local tours use the AJGA pace of play policy. First player finished with a hole goes to the next tee while the others finish out. The Must, Must, May policy works.

• Realize your group is "on the clock" as soon as you play from the teeing ground on your first hole.
  • MUST, MUST, MAY
    • MUST – The first player to finish playing a hole MUST immediately grab their bag and start making their way to the next tee. In doing this the player walking ahead is expected to be quiet and courteous to its fellow-competitors. The player should periodically look back to watch the other player’s shots.
    • MUST – The player MUST also be the first person to play from the next teeing ground. This player must be getting their yardage and determining club selection while the other players are finishing the previous hole and walking to the tee.
    • MAY – This player MAY tee off if they want to. All players must confirm scores on the previous hole prior to leaving the tee.

[*]When spotters, officials or parents are available to help search for a potentially lost ball, the AJGA recommends that the other players go forward to play his next shot or shots and HOLD THE GROUP'S POSITION ON THE GOLF COURSE.

In that case its ready golf correct? They dont give honors? Some kids want the tee first if they have honors. Maybe a mental thing, but to some it really matters.

Most kids at US Kids play honors, even though our local director tells players to play ready golf.

I like the later much better, for pace of play reason.

A few years ago we used to actually practice for the DCP so we got used to doing 6’, 15’, and 30’ putts and started using that as a reference during tourneys. So he’s now 9 and still judges distance based off of that. He doesn’t need to walk it off, just can tell based on looking and having that familiarity.

WTF???!!!

Counting steps? Wow

I kind of agree, and am a total feel player myself inside of , say, 75 yards. But tell that to Bryson DeChambeau. To each is own, just whatever you do -do it quickly.

Putting the most precise part of the game with the smallest target. We spend hundreds of $$$ on gadgets to know we're 77yds instead of ball parking it at 80-85yds, so why only give it the eyeball test when you're standing over a putt? 2 steps different is 6-feet, if you miss do you want a tap in or a 6-footer?

I putt from 2 set distances on the practice green to figure out how fast the greens are rolling. On the course, I'll walk off the steps as near to intended line as I can without stepping in other's line, also helps to get a feel for how much slope there is involved. It takes no extra time at all, get everything done right after marking my ball and while others are working their way on to the green. 90+% of my GIR are lag to make, speed is the most important thing to me when putting well.

SMH - So Much Hate

Don't get me started on kids that use the line on their ball from 40 feet. Inside 10' I'm cool with but at those distances it 100% needs to be about speed. The line just causes you to be 'ball bound' instead of focused on your distance.

I would have thought lining up the ball on longer putts helps with alignment and allows a player to focus on speed

Are there any other things that junior golfers shouldn't be doing???

• MUST, MUST, MAY

As kids get older they rarely play honors. I know in my kids case he doesn’t care what his partners had on the previous hole. He is playing ready golf. If you aren’t ready he is hopping on the tee box and playing without asking. If you are slow and he outdrives you, he still walks forward and will play if you aren’t ready. He usually does a really good job at make others play at his pace. AJGA will have a time limit for a round, usually between 4:10 and 4:30. If you don’t finish in their time limit you are getting strokes. There are no if’s and’s ot but’s. Play fast or get penalized.

SMH - So Much Hate

Don't get me started on kids that use the line on their ball from 40 feet. Inside 10' I'm cool with but at those distances it 100% needs to be about speed. The line just causes you to be 'ball bound' instead of focused on your distance.

For me, I’ve gone to using the line on my ball for practically every putt outside of 4 feet. It allows me to get the line right before I set up, that way I’m ONLY thinking about distance when I stand over the putt.

I had a guy I play with do this and he said tour guys had to know how far they hit each putt. I told him that he was ridiculous and you can’t gauge any putt the same. You have so many factors with uphill/downhill slope, break, and green speed it’s impossible to treat every 20 footer the same. He’s already slow as Christmas on top of it.

So let’s say You pace off 10 steps.

Is it up hill , downhill, sidehill?

Is it into the grain? Down grain?

Is the green wet? Dry?

Are the greens running eight? 10? 12?

How on earth can you know how hard to hit it just based on “30 feet”?

An uphill put into the grain might be running five and a downhill putt down grain might be running 18!

If you exert the same amount of force to each condition, two balls are literally going to end up 20 feet apart!

And as far as the idea of not stepping on somebody’s line goes, you don’t know where their line is going to be

because they haven’t putted yet. Their 30 footer might be pulled or hit too hard and they end up right where you walked.

That’s why it’s important to always be aware of “Thru-lines”.

A good rule when reading putts on longer putts is generally stay out of a 10 foot Circle from the hole as much as possible .

There is nothing wrong with walking off putt distances, as long as its not unreasonably slow. It does a few things, it helps the player feel the slope of the green. It puts them by the hole so they can look from the other side. It slows them down just enough to evaluate all of the factors to consider. My son did it when he was young. He was a very fast player, and would have been inclined to walk up and hit his putt immediately. He was never slow, even when he walked them off. And he was and still is a good putter (although he doesn't walk off any more).