2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Brooks Koepka Feels Slighted... But he doesn't care... But he'll remember

gunmetal

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/more-motivation-for-brooks-koepka-he-wasnt-asked-to-meet-the-media-at-east-lake-and-he-noticed

The guy doesn't ever seem interested in doing interviews and the few I've seen aren't all that captivating. I'm sure it's a little frustrating not getting the attention that others are getting given the season he's had, but be a little more interested and engaging maybe.

This statement from him seems like he's having a tough time how to process the whole thing...

“Sometimes it does suck, but I’ve started to care less. Come Sunday, I won’t forget it when everyone wants to talk to me because I just won. I don’t forget things.”

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BK seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder.

I think he’s a very watchable talent but he doesn’t seem to give much of himself away from the course. Maybe that’s why the media seem less interested in him than they should be?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

These pre-tournament interviews are normally boring and extremely repetitive but I bet Brooks' sponsors care.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I like Brooks , I think I even had in my fantasy lineup for his win in Florida.

I feel this I don’t get any attention and I don’t care stuff has the opposite effect, kinda like when my daughter says her older sister gets all the new stuff and she should get whatever treat.

Personally I would only want the money and not the celebrity and if I really didn’t care I wouldn’t even bring it up. Just me, however I can see how he might be pissed at the endorment money the other guys have but that also comes with being marketable.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Well, with an interview like that ... he'll get a few more requests for interviews. Caring less would be not talking about it at all to the media.

Exactly what I came here to say. If he really didn't care, he wouldn't say a word to anyone, he'd just keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking, and then decline interviews after he won.

I wonder how many 3 time major winners had three time's the amount of majors as they did normal wins? He's just at an odd spot. Three majors is huge, but it seems like some doubt him because he doesn't have the consistency at regular tour events to back it up. I'm not one of the few doubting him. I think going back to back at the US Open, especially the way Shinne played this year, proves he's an elite golfer.

As some others have pointed out, his interviews tend to be bland. The most excited I've ever seen him was when the media asked him how much he could bench. Seems like he tries to overplay this not caring to cover up how much he really cares though. Him tapping in before letting Adam Scott finish at the PGA was really odd, almost over the top trying to show how he doesn't care he was about to tap in to win his second major of the year.

So now he won't talk to them on Sunday after a win to get even - boy, that will solve the problem, lol.

Sounds like he wants that chip on his shoulder, he needs that chip on his shoulder - and good for him.

Really is kind of silly he wasn't on that list, and it was disrespectful - maybe there is more to it, maybe other guys are better interviews, maybe he drinks Pepsi.

Poor, poor Brooksy.

He does zero media appearances after the US open or PGA and when he does do an interview it’s about as interesting as a discussion with a Tomato.

Now he’s upset no one wants to waste their time with him.

Would you Like a little cheese with that whine?

Would be a tough task interviewing Brooks and DJ to be honest. Doesn’t seem like you’d get a lot of quality answers from those boys, we’ve all heard some of DJs interviews lol... seems like Brooks is similar in that way. They both get it done on the course though and that’s all that matters!

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

Odd comments because players should by now, understand how the media game works and try to use it to their benefit (like a Rickie Fowler or Ian Poulter does)

But by the same token it's hard to do a lot of interviews and not say something that can be taken poorly by people

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If a guy isn’t a good interview, eventually the press will stop trying to talk to him. Except Tiger (pre comeback days).

When, as the interviewer, you have to really work a guy to get any answers, you’ll eventually take a couple grunted replies, turn them into something hopefully usable, and move onto the next guy. Except Tiger!

He doesn't care about talking to the media, but he's upset no one is rushing to interview him?

If he truly couldn't care less, then he would just go about his business and not acknowledge that the press doesn't chase him down for interviews. The fact that he he made a statement about not caring shows he really does care, and is bothered by it.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Pretty much all replies are spot on.

“I wish I was playing another sport but since I don’t, I’ll just try really hard in majors and just use my enormous natural talent to cash checks in regular events. Since this is just a “made up” championship it’s pretty much a regular event so I’ll be somewhere in the middle of the pack. So who wants to talk about how much i look like a linebacker?”

I'm probably as big of a fan of Brooks as there is. He is a lot of fun to watch play golf, but he doesn't seem to be interested in doing much media. He turned down the media car-wash tour after his majors. You see guys like Patrick Reed (who isn't the most media-friendly guy either) who at least took the time to spend a few days going through the media ringer after his big win. It doesn't seem like he wants to spend time doing media, but he also wants the media to give him more attention. The media probably should have requested to interview him at East Lake after the year he has had, but if they know he [historically] doesn't want to do it, then they would be better served bringing in people like Tiger, Phil, Rickie that you know for certain are willing to be there.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Brooks seems to what people to believe that he isn't bothered by the fact that the media don't want to speak to him but, members of his team and now Brooks himself, seem to be making mention of that fact that they don't want to speak him. That they were and now he is making mention of that makes me think that is bothers him more than he is letting on. Don't get me wrong, I find it amazing that there appears to be a lack of interest in speaking to a guy who has won 3 of the last 7 majors but it must bother him if it keeps getting mentioned.

For some reason Ross in Friends repeatedly saying that he is "fine" just came into my head. He kept saying that he was fine with Joey and Rachael, clearly he wasn't and clearly Brooks isn't fine with it either.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He doesn't care about talking to the media, but he's upset no one is rushing to interview him?

If he truly couldn't care less, then he would just go about his business and not acknowledge that the press doesn't chase him down for interviews. The fact that he he made a statement about not caring shows he really does care, and is bothered by it.

I can't add anything else to this. /thread :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I do not understand how anyone can defend the media in this case. They chase low hanging fruit like migrating birds. The guy won 2 majors in one year and they can't be bothered to invite him to talk about it? Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you. LAZY journalism. Everyone has a story- since BK seems to be quiet about personal stuff ask him more about his technical approach- his workouts, his diet, find out what makes him tick. They guy played in Europe working his way up. Some of that has to be worthy of some questions.

I do not understand how anyone can defend the media in this case. They chase low hanging fruit like migrating birds. The guy won 2 majors in one year and they can't be bothered to invite him to talk about it? Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you. LAZY journalism. Everyone has a story- since BK seems to be quiet about personal stuff ask him more about his technical approach- his workouts, his diet, find out what makes him tick. They guy played in Europe working his way up. Some of that has to be worthy of some questions.

All valid points.. and I think this LAZY journalism extends beyond just this one instance (and beyond just sports in general, but we won't get into that here)..

To play devil's advocate for a second though, maybe the reality is that Brooks is just not the most interesting guy out there. He's a great golfer and an unquestionable athlete, but he just doesn't care to develop a persona or backstory the way that other folks do. Make sense? Like when you DO get an interview and you tell the world "I wish I would have played baseball instead of golf", is that supposed to endear golf fans? And there have been a few articles/ interviews with Brooks in Golf Digest and other magazines this summer.. one of the articles was comparing his social media followers to Fowlers. I think the missing piece is it's not just athletic prowess that creates a connection with fans, it's actually engaging with them and promoting a lifestyle that they can have a tiny piece of. Even if you take someone who is a little more insular and less of a fan guy like Bryson, there is still more of a story and character going on there, something that people can read into, and buy into if they wish.