Stoatin Brae: Augusta, MI

kalamazoo

Its so weird what they are doing to the course. I come up from Ohio a couple of times of year to play up in Michigan and use to love playing Yarrow. I've been wanting to play Stoatin brae but last year the feedback was too firm and fast with silly greens you can't hold. This year seems to be slow and wet with bad conditions. They know what they are doing, they have several courses they own as part of Gull Lake. What is their game plan here?????

Probably just trying to preserve the course in some pretty tough summer conditions.

Its so weird what they are doing to the course. I come up from Ohio a couple of times of year to play up in Michigan and use to love playing Yarrow. I've been wanting to play Stoatin brae but last year the feedback was too firm and fast with silly greens you can't hold. This year seems to be slow and wet with bad conditions. They know what they are doing, they have several courses they own as part of Gull Lake. What is their game plan here?????

Probably just trying to preserve the course in some pretty tough summer conditions.

Agreed, it has been a weird summer. Feast or famine with the rain.

• 1 month later...

Any update on the course conditions? Will be in the area Oct 5-6th

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Know some guys who went Sat Sept.8th a.m. with a large group. Great layout, terrible turf conditions was the general theme. I'm sure someone will jump in on behalf of GLV and defend the course, but the fact that people are still putting out inquiries about conditions speaks for itself.

Kind of a jerk post but I’ll bite. I’m a member and I’m not defending it....the turf length has been a disappointment. Way too shaggy for a “links” course.

I love the design, hate the conditions.

Know some guys who went Sat Sept.8th a.m. with a large group. Great layout, terrible turf conditions was the general theme. I'm sure someone will jump in on behalf of GLV and defend the course, but the fact that people are still putting out inquiries about conditions speaks for itself.

Kind of a jerk post but Ill bite. Im a member and Im not defending it....the turf length has been a disappointment. Way too shaggy for a links course.

Thanks man, I played it around open and loved the f&f. Any other courses worth playing there?

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I haven't been out to the GLV courses since July, but in years past all of their courses have been in good condition for the Fall golf season.

It's been a very weird season for grass this season. We never really dried out, we had a major rain event seemingly every month. Low streets in our downtown area were flooded multiple times. Indian Run (Vicksburg) had to dig a moat in between #10 and #18 to gain both of those holes back. Both were flooded considerably until the machinery was brought in.

Kind of a jerk post but I’ll bite. I’m a member and I’m not defending it....the turf length has been a disappointment. Way too shaggy for a “links” course.

Thanks man, I played it around open and loved the f&f. Any other courses worth playing there?

Stonehedge North is in incredible shape. They aerated very early and the greens are completely healed now, running quick(ish) and true. Bedford Valley is also in great shape as usual.

I’m hoping Stoatin firms up over the Fall. For what it’s worth, it’s been playing shaggy because of visitor complaints that it was too fast and hard last year. With the heather being +4ft deep and virtually no rough, people were losing balls left and right and being whiny about it. If you missed a fairway your ball wasn’t in the rough, it was gone. It’s not thin and whispy heather like Arcadia, it’s thick, gnarly, and most of the time impossible to even walk through. Also in many cases the heather is right behind the green, so when your ball balooned off the rock hard greens it was instantly lost.

So, even though I love the fast and firm conditions, I understand GLV’s position: They are a resort, and they value return customers...and many of their clientele are probably hackers who care more about the cost of lost balls than they do their score. With that said, it makes sense why they kept it shaggy during peak tourism months...but let’s hope they let it burn out in the fall for the locals to get their a**es handed to them by a great course!

Kalamazoo, thanks. If Stoatin firms up soon pm me please.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Kind of a jerk post but I'll bite. I'm a member and I'm not defending it....the turf length has been a disappointment. Way too shaggy for a "links" course.

Stonehedge North is in incredible shape. They aerated very early and the greens are completely healed now, running quick(ish) and true. Bedford Valley is also in great shape as usual.

I'm hoping Stoatin firms up over the Fall. For what it's worth, it's been playing shaggy because of visitor complaints that it was too fast and hard last year. With the heather being +4ft deep and virtually no rough, people were losing balls left and right and being whiny about it. If you missed a fairway your ball wasn't in the rough, it was gone. It's not thin and whispy heather like Arcadia, it's thick, gnarly, and most of the time impossible to even walk through. Also in many cases the heather is right behind the green, so when your ball balooned off the rock hard greens it was instantly lost.

So, even though I love the fast and firm conditions, I understand GLV's position: They are a resort, and they value return customers...and many of their clientele are probably hackers who care more about the cost of lost balls than they do their score. With that said, it makes sense why they kept it shaggy during peak tourism months...but let's hope they let it burn out in the fall for the locals to get their a**es handed to them by a great course!

I guess we just have a different idea of what a "great course" is. If you can't hold the green and its surrounded by gunge so deep you can't find your ball, is that really a great course? Maybe hit short....and then run off the false front into more gunge? Hit it right down the middle of the rock hard fairway and watch it roll off into the gunge? See a trend here? In my opinion, they are trying new things because the bones of the course are flawed. It's a beautiful course and maybe someday it will be awesome, but right now its not worth what they are charging and there are just so many other options available.

Kind of a jerk post but I'll bite. I'm a member and I'm not defending it....the turf length has been a disappointment. Way too shaggy for a "links" course.

I'm hoping Stoatin firms up over the Fall. For what it's worth, it's been playing shaggy because of visitor complaints that it was too fast and hard last year. With the heather being +4ft deep and virtually no rough, people were losing balls left and right and being whiny about it. If you missed a fairway your ball wasn't in the rough, it was gone. It's not thin and whispy heather like Arcadia, it's thick, gnarly, and most of the time impossible to even walk through. Also in many cases the heather is right behind the green, so when your ball balooned off the rock hard greens it was instantly lost.

So, even though I love the fast and firm conditions, I understand GLV's position: They are a resort, and they value return customers...and many of their clientele are probably hackers who care more about the cost of lost balls than they do their score. With that said, it makes sense why they kept it shaggy during peak tourism months...but let's hope they let it burn out in the fall for the locals to get their a**es handed to them by a great course!

I guess we just have a different idea of what a "great course" is. If you can't hold the green and its surrounded by gunge so deep you can't find your ball, is that really a great course? Maybe hit short....and then run off the false front into more gunge? Hit it right down the middle of the rock hard fairway and watch it roll off into the gunge? See a trend here? In my opinion, they are trying new things because the bones of the course are flawed. It's a beautiful course and maybe someday it will be awesome, but right now its not worth what they are charging and there are just so many other options available.

Guess you’re right, we do have different opinions. I had a blast playing it when it was rock hard and burned out. I enjoy the challenge.

Just to follow the above, I highly enjoyed it rock hard. There were only a few greens that wouldn’t allow a run up. 18 was near impossible, but it still enjoyed it. I remember driving the ball well that day, so I had a lot of wedges into greens which helped. It’s not flawed. If you have a tough driving day, you will not enjoy the place.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

I’m got my weekends golf booked but if any open time comes up I’ll try to get there

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I waited so long for my post after playing the Brae. I played it in September and it was incredible. One of the most interesting unique golf experiences I've ever had. Certainly doesn't play like a links -- but after the first hole you just don't care about what it is -- because it is different from any other course around and not in a bad way. I thought the greens were incredible -- fast and firm but very playable and just fun.

Well hit full irons stopped just fine on the greens. And I thought the fescue everywhere was just so cool. I don't think I've ever played a course where the type of grass was evident and added to the challenge of the course. A little wide open from the tee, so it's a fun driving course.

My short game play was poor - in hindsight I wish I had played more bump and run type short game shots. Playing the ball high didn't really work and putting from off the green was tough (I've always struggled with that). But just playing the ball way back in the stance with a wedge or nine iron and hitting low bumpy shots seemed to work best, but i didn't figure that out until 17. Not having a traditional fringe on the greens is really unique and challenging, especially with the green speeds.

I played Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs and Angels Crossing at the end of this summer and Stoatin Brae stacked up to all of those and those are some of the best courses I've ever played. Obviously nothing compares to Arcadia's views and slope - but Stoatin is also a scenic course - I thought it played a lot like forest dunes honestly in it's own unique way. Can't wait to play Stoatin again.

Stoatin is also a scenic course - I thought it played a lot like forest dunes honestly in it's own unique way. Can't wait to play Stoatin again.

I enjoyed your assessment of SB, and I loved it when I played it. Comparing it on equal terms to FD may be considered blasphemous to some Mich golfers, (not me, though). FD is a great course, imo, and hopefully will continue in that direction.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• 6 months later...

> @68kicks said:

> anyone been out to SB this year?

> any update on conditions?

>

> Thanks!

Course is in solid shape. It’s not playing fast and firm due to all of the rain, but it’ll get there over he course of the summer. They did some work in the offseason on some cart path and stuff, it’s slowly coming along. They burned the heather, so now is your best opportunity to score well and not lose balls :) It’ll grow back fast.

Greens are in phenomenal shape, but I’m hoping they make them a tad faster soon. Still doesn’t feel “links-ish” yet.

> @kalamazoo said:

> > @68kicks said:

> > anyone been out to SB this year?

> > any update on conditions?

> >

> > Thanks!

>

> Course is in solid shape. It’s not playing fast and firm due to all of the rain, but it’ll get there over he course of the summer. They did some work in the offseason on some cart path and stuff, it’s slowly coming along. They burned the heather, so now is your best opportunity to score well and not lose balls :) It’ll grow back fast.

>

> Greens are in phenomenal shape, but I’m hoping they make them a tad faster soon. Still doesn’t feel “links-ish” yet.

>

thanks K-zoo!

• 3 weeks later...

> @cassel191919 said:

> I was thinking of playing next Friday, any update on the conditions? The course looks incredible in pictures.

Same update as the one I gave above, except the heather is growing back quickly now and it’s getting very tough to find balls that don’t hit the fairway. It’s still not playing super fast and first because of the nonstop rain, but it’s in great shape.

> @kalamazoo said:

> > @cassel191919 said:

> > I was thinking of playing next Friday, any update on the conditions? The course looks incredible in pictures.

>

> Same update as the one I gave above, except the heather is growing back quickly now and it’s getting very tough to find balls that don’t hit the fairway. It’s still not playing super fast and first because of the nonstop rain, but it’s in great shape.

>

Thank you, I saw in a previous post someone mentioned that the fairways were a little long because the ball was running to much, is that still the case?

> @cassel191919 said:

> > @kalamazoo said:

> > > @cassel191919 said:

> > > I was thinking of playing next Friday, any update on the conditions? The course looks incredible in pictures.

> >

> > Same update as the one I gave above, except the heather is growing back quickly now and it’s getting very tough to find balls that don’t hit the fairway. It’s still not playing super fast and first because of the nonstop rain, but it’s in great shape.

> >

>

> Thank you, I saw in a previous post someone mentioned that the fairways were a little long because the ball was running to much, is that still the case?

Yes and no. It’s not as bad as last year but the fairways are still too long for a “links” course. It was definitely worse last year.

As I’ve stated before, I get it, GLV is a resort and their average customer wants to play the course for the cool views, not to lose 30 balls on a true links style course. It sucks but I get it. I LOVED the course when it was super burned out and played rock hard 2 years ago.

>

> Yes and no. It’s not as bad as last year but the fairways are still too long for a “links” course. It was definitely worse last year.

>

> As I’ve stated before, I get it, GLV is a resort and their average customer wants to play the course for the cool views, not to lose 30 balls on a true links style course. It sucks but I get it. I LOVED the course when it was super burned out and played rock hard 2 years ago.

Thank you, I am going to play it this Friday. Any tips on approach shots into these greens, are the receptive or do you have to run them up there?

> @kalamazoo said:

> > Thank you, I saw in a previous post someone mentioned that the fairways were a little long because the ball was running to much, is that still the case?

>

> Yes and no. It’s not as bad as last year but the fairways are still too long for a “links” course. It was definitely worse last year.

>

> As I’ve stated before, I get it, GLV is a resort and their average customer wants to play the course for the cool views, not to lose 30 balls on a true links style course. It sucks but I get it. I LOVED the course when it was super burned out and played rock hard 2 years ago.

> @cassel191919 said:

> >

> > Yes and no. It’s not as bad as last year but the fairways are still too long for a “links” course. It was definitely worse last year.

> >

> > As I’ve stated before, I get it, GLV is a resort and their average customer wants to play the course for the cool views, not to lose 30 balls on a true links style course. It sucks but I get it. I LOVED the course when it was super burned out and played rock hard 2 years ago.

> Thank you, I am going to play it this Friday. Any tips on approach shots into these greens, are the receptive or do you have to run them up there?

> > @kalamazoo said:

> > > Thank you, I saw in a previous post someone mentioned that the fairways were a little long because the ball was running to much, is that still the case?

> >

> > Yes and no. It’s not as bad as last year but the fairways are still too long for a “links” course. It was definitely worse last year.

> >

> > As I’ve stated before, I get it, GLV is a resort and their average customer wants to play the course for the cool views, not to lose 30 balls on a true links style course. It sucks but I get it. I LOVED the course when it was super burned out and played rock hard 2 years ago.

>

>

Super receptive because of all the rain. The course is playing easier than it ever has. Even when it’s bone dry I still wouldn’t try to run anything onto the greens, they don’t mow the course like a links course.

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on Stoatin Brae with the recent hot weather. Has the course firmed up yet and how are the greens rolling? Are the greens still receptive with all the hot temps???

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

• 5 months later...

So Golfweek has Stoatin Brae as # 95 best public Access course in US. And #5 in Michigan. Really moving up the lists. I played Stoatin again in 2019 and thought it was amazing. Loved it in 2018 and think it took a huge step forward in 2019., All the condition issues are long gone, and it's quite pristine now. In a previous post I compared it to Forest Dunes(Weiskopf), but after playing The Loop this summer I saw even more similarity to that course. Stoatin is tighter and tougher than the Loop, but very similar - maybe not a surprise since Doak's company had a hand in both the Loop and Stoatin. The Loop definitely allows more opportunity to play shots short of the green and rolling it on, but that makes sense with the sandier soil in Roscommon. Looking forward to playing Stoatin again in 2020. Also have been hearing a lot of good things about Arcadia South, so want to play that as well.