2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Help me understand why kids walk off putts

kekoa

I hope people can understand that there is some merit it walking a lengthy putt, particularly for juniors. In particular short junior golfers, like my son, have a different viewing angle of the green compared to taller kids. From 25+ feet he can barely see the hole itself. So longer putts are physically harder to gauge distance on. I always encourage him on putts longer than 10' to at least walk the putt (not necessarily measure it in feet), but walk closer to the hole to have a better look at the overall length of the putt from closer, and at a better angle. When we walk the putt it accomplishes a couple things. You can feel the slope of the green with your feet and body. You can inspect the line for any damages that can be repaired. And for shorter juniors you can visually get a better angle at determining the length of the putt. We never walk the putt simply for a distance in feet, but more in an effort to gain as much information on the putt as possible to have a better chance of making it. Including distance, slope, and speed.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let’s say You pace off 10 steps.

Is it up hill , downhill, sidehill?

Is it into the grain? Down grain?

Is the green wet? Dry?

Are the greens running eight? 10? 12?

How on earth can you know how hard to hit it just based on “30 feet”?

An uphill put into the grain might be running five and a downhill putt down grain might be running 18!

If you exert the same amount of force to each condition, two balls are literally going to end up 20 feet apart!

And as far as the idea of not stepping on somebody’s line goes, you don’t know where their line is going to be

because they haven’t putted yet. Their 30 footer might be pulled or hit too hard and they end up right where you walked.

That’s why it’s important to always be aware of “Thru-lines”.

A good rule when reading putts on longer putts is generally stay out of a 10 foot Circle from the hole as much as possible .

I don't think anyone is asserting the above factors are not considered when pacing out putts.

And I don't think anyone is recommending to use the exact same force in striking a putt of a given length, irrespective of those factors you mention.

But why is the (almost) exact distance to the hole not as relevant a factor as the ones you list?

SMH - So Much Hate

Don't get me started on kids that use the line on their ball from 40 feet. Inside 10' I'm cool with but at those distances it 100% needs to be about speed. The line just causes you to be 'ball bound' instead of focused on your distance.

For me, I've gone to using the line on my ball for practically every putt outside of 4 feet. It allows me to get the line right before I set up, that way I'm ONLY thinking about distance when I stand over the putt.

I think you should reconsider your philosophy but that's just me. I don't believe it's possible to look down at a ball with a line on it that is intended to align putter face and give you the intended start line and not think about it, even if it's subconsciously.

How do you reconcile this belief with the fact that a very significant % of Tour Pros (including some of the best in the world) have lines on their ball and use them to line up putts (and not just short ones)?

Is the green wet? Dry?

An uphill put into the grain might be running five and a downhill putt down grain might be running 18!

If you exert the same amount of force to each condition, two balls are literally going to end up 20 feet apart!

And as far as the idea of not stepping on somebody’s line goes, you don’t know where their line is going to be

because they haven’t putted yet. Their 30 footer might be pulled or hit too hard and they end up right where you walked.

A good rule when reading putts on longer putts is generally stay out of a 10 foot Circle from the hole as much as possible .

I don't think anyone is asserting the above factors are not considered when pacing out putts.

And I don't think anyone is recommending to use the exact same force in striking a putt of a given length, irrespective of those factors you mention.

But why is the (almost) exact distance to the hole not as relevant a factor as the ones you list?

I guess I misunderstood then. I thought that was exactly what was being implied... That knowing that a putt is 30 feet means you can exert a specific amount of predetermined power to move the ball 30 feet. I suppose knowing the exact distance can help you at a subconscious level. I just think it’s really important to understand any training you do mentally or consciously with putting is all about training your subconscious in the long term. All of the information that is being gathered while reading/walking a putt is really only for the purpose of allowing your subconscious to develop more feel . No great putters putt using math.

putting, more than any other part of the game, is an athletic motion. You have to let your subconscious use all the information it has gathered to transfer into some sort of hand-eye action. See it hit it.

I get that for seven-year-olds this process is ongoing but it’s important to understand that the endgame is instinctive reaction to a set of conditions, not a “formula”.

SMH - So Much Hate

Don't get me started on kids that use the line on their ball from 40 feet. Inside 10' I'm cool with but at those distances it 100% needs to be about speed. The line just causes you to be 'ball bound' instead of focused on your distance.

For me, I've gone to using the line on my ball for practically every putt outside of 4 feet. It allows me to get the line right before I set up, that way I'm ONLY thinking about distance when I stand over the putt.

I think you should reconsider your philosophy but that's just me. I don't believe it's possible to look down at a ball with a line on it that is intended to align putter face and give you the intended start line and not think about it, even if it's subconsciously.

How do you reconcile this belief with the fact that a very significant % of Tour Pros (including some of the best in the world) have lines on their ball and use them to line up putts (and not just short ones)?

The tour pros don’t have the line on the ball for alignment. They may use it for that, but not why they have it. They have the line on the ball to make sure it doesn’t wobble. The ball not being struck properly can cause pace problems. A wobbling ball can take 6”-10” off of pace.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

The tour pros don’t have the line on the ball for alignment. They may use it for that, but not why they have it. They have the line on the ball to make sure it doesn’t wobble. The ball not being struck properly can cause pace problems. A wobbling ball can take 6”-10” off of pace.

I think they are using lines (either drawn or just the logo) to line up their balls

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/664808-of-pga-pros-that-use-a-line-on-the-ball-to-line-up-putts/

By the time the ball wobbles, it’s too late to do anything about it. Not sure how that is helping them, other than to know to correct it on the next putt.

At their level, I would have to think they know how well they hit it based on contact. But maybe I’m wrong.

I don’t see this much at the high school level. I don’t know why, I would assume that as your skill progresses you become more confident with your game and your ability to read a feel the green, so a simple two-way read will suffice. It’s jsut down to personal preference in the end, alright I’d prefer if people don’t. Played jsut the other day with a kid who did it, neared a six hour round because of his slow pace. Brutal.

No offense, but high school level golf is not a high level.

I dont think he was inferring that high school is high level golf. I assume its just what he has direct experience with. D1 College golfers nor pga players walk off putts. Hows that? ��

Agreed. They use their brain to tell them the distance and they learn this by practice putting, not slow playing golfers by walking off every putt. Instead of walking off a putt, use that time to practice the stroke trying to get the feel for what it take to make the good putt.

The tour pros don't have the line on the ball for alignment. They may use it for that, but not why they have it. They have the line on the ball to make sure it doesn't wobble. The ball not being struck properly can cause pace problems. A wobbling ball can take 6"-10" off of pace.

By the time the ball wobbles, it's too late to do anything about it. Not sure how that is helping them, other than to know to correct it on the next putt.

At their level, I would have to think they know how well they hit it based on contact. But maybe I'm wrong.

C'mon HH. There is no way in hell tour pro's have the line on the ball to check the wobble factor. Ok, maybe Bryson Dechambeau does, but he's a nutcase.

I could just see a pro being pissed that he made a putt but the line was wobbling. :stop:

In my opinion golf is first and foremost a gentleman’s game.. meaning that etiquette should be one of the first things instilled in a young players mind, unfortunately this has been fading away through the generations far as I can see. I say gentleman’s game loosely because I don’t believe in the super old fashioned ways of the uptight club with strict dress codes and whatnot but there are parts of that school of thought that make sense to me, especially on the field of play and in competition. Stepping in someone’s line in inexcusable. If someone wants to walk off thier putt that’s fine but it should never take precedence over respect for your fellow competitors. The first thing I was taught by my first mentor in golf who was a WW2 generation fella was that we are sharing the course with everyone else on it and need to be mindful of that at all times and although people say they know this they seem to disregard it quite regularly, I guess it’s a sign of the times. I get a real kick out of these players that take forever and a day to putt and then make the most lousy stroke you’ve ever seen... it’s absurd.

My opinion is that someone walking through a line is just a matter of respect. It doesn’t really do anything to the line by stepping on it. If you play at 10, several dozen people have already stepped in your line.

My kids walk off putts (they dont play organized golf, just messing around with dad) because its easier for me to teach them how to read break if they can feel it (think kiddo aimpoint) and they also get a better sense of speed.

I walk off most every putt as well. Just the best way for me to read the putt

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I'm revisiting this thread because Im pretty sure my previous comments were not clear, and perhaps some of us talking about two different things.

I think walking around to survey the green from multiple angles is highly beneficial. It's especially good to look at a putt from the low side and to visualize the line and the apex, and to feel the slope in your legs and feet as you walk.

I dont however, think it's particularly beneficial to walk off a putt to count steps in an effort to measure distance and gauge the effort required to roll the ball to the hole. Green speeds vary plus slope and gradient of greens will be different from hole to hole and course to course. A 30 footer on one green can require an entirely different speed and therefore effort into the stroke than a 30 footer on another, so I dont see how the numbers are of any use.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

The tour pros don't have the line on the ball for alignment. They may use it for that, but not why they have it. They have the line on the ball to make sure it doesn't wobble. The ball not being struck properly can cause pace problems. A wobbling ball can take 6"-10" off of pace.

By the time the ball wobbles, it's too late to do anything about it. Not sure how that is helping them, other than to know to correct it on the next putt.

At their level, I would have to think they know how well they hit it based on contact. But maybe I'm wrong.

C'mon HH. There is no way in hell tour pro's have the line on the ball to check the wobble factor. Ok, maybe Bryson Dechambeau does, but he's a nutcase.

I could just see a pro being pissed that he made a putt but the line was wobbling. :stop:

Haney was also talking about this on his radio show the other day. Said the same exact thing. I will adjust my original statement because I am sure many do use as an alignment aid as well. It is going to depend if you are a line putter or a spot putter. Still, many will glance to see if they putt a good stroke on the ball which the line helps in determining.

Haney was also talking about this on his radio show the other day. Said the same exact thing. I will adjust my original statement because I am sure many do use as an alignment aid as well. It is going to depend if you are a line putter or a spot putter. Still, many will glance to see if they putt a good stroke on the ball which the line helps in determining.

I like the line. Once you're over the ball you can just visualizes a T-Square strike. It helps you to build a consistent stance around the correct target line, and can also help to keep your eyes nice and quiet by giving you something specific to focus on.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I like the line. Once you're over the ball you can just visualizes a T-Square strike. It helps you to build a consistent stance around the correct target line, and can also help to keep your eyes nice and quiet by giving you something specific to focus on.

Did you watch the video link? I though it was very interesting that he said everyone should line up differently according to how their subconscious evaluated the putt. Most teachers teach eyes above the ball, but that doesn't work for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the green wet? Dry?

Sorry I'm a little late to this party...

isaacbm, I'm not sure I understand why this bothers you so much. I fully agree with the others' comments that gathering data about the length of a putt is like using a range finder, GPS device or even the yardage markers in the fairway to determine yardage to the green/pin. Few golfers these days eyeball the yardage for the entire round - they'll at least refer to yardage stakes/discs or sprinkler heads, so why is it bad to know the distance of a putt, too?

Personally, I preface every round with a series of reference putts from a set of backswing lengths on the flattest area of the practice green. That gives me several sets of distances that I know I can consistently hit *flat* putts on those greens. I then assess what percentage to add or subtract for uphill and downhill putts on 1- and 2-degree sloping greens. I putt mostly on bent or poa annua greens, but if I travel to a course with bermuda greens, I'll also determine the effect of grain (with vs. into) on putt speed/length. This is about 75% of my pre-round putting warmup, and it takes about 10-15 minutes. Armed with this information, I can calculate how much to increase or decrease the length of one of my "stock" backswings to accommodate the distance and pace of most putts inside 50-60 feet, assuming the actual greens are similar to the practice green.

On the course, I try to be first to the green so I can walk off my putt distances while others are either chipping or lining up putts, but if this would cause me to walk in another player's line (not a *possible* future line for a ball that hasn't been hit yet), I'll walk off the putt on a parallel path that is the same distance. All of this adds maybe 5-10 seconds to my putting routine, but I'm mindful of pace of play and make sure to do it quickly while waiting for others to play. I generally don't walk off any putt that I gauge to be under 3 paces long.

Ultimately, using this method means I'm rarely grinding over length of putts. I can focus on the line because I have the distance pegged. I almost never leave putts more than a few feet long or short, and even those are mostly on super long lag putts that fall way outside my reference backswings. With this, I've virtually eliminated 3-putts and almost always leave my second putts within 2-4 feet.

If you happen to play entirely by feel, with no inputs to give you distances for shots, that's awesome for you and your style of play. But, as long as players aren't killing pace of play or impeding other golfers' games, why is it important to anyone else *how* they play their game? If they can reduce their number of putts from something like 37-38 to around 31-33 because they're not leaving putts 10 feet long or short and reducing 3-putts, that's good for their game, as well as for the pace of play, which is good for all of us. Playing by feel vs. being more analytical isn't a badge of honor...to each their own.

Is the green wet? Dry?

isaacbm, I'm not sure I understand why this bothers you so much. I fully agree with the others' comments that gathering data about the length of a putt is like using a range finder, GPS device or even the yardage markers in the fairway to determine yardage to the green/pin. Few golfers these days eyeball the yardage for the entire round - they'll at least refer to yardage stakes/discs or sprinkler heads, so why is it bad to know the distance of a putt, too?

Personally, I preface every round with a series of reference putts from a set of backswing lengths on the flattest area of the practice green. That gives me several sets of distances that I know I can consistently hit *flat* putts on those greens. I then assess what percentage to add or subtract for uphill and downhill putts on 1- and 2-degree sloping greens. I putt mostly on bent or poa annua greens, but if I travel to a course with bermuda greens, I'll also determine the effect of grain (with vs. into) on putt speed/length. This is about 75% of my pre-round putting warmup, and it takes about 10-15 minutes. Armed with this information, I can calculate how much to increase or decrease the length of one of my "stock" backswings to accommodate the distance and pace of most putts inside 50-60 feet, assuming the actual greens are similar to the practice green.

On the course, I try to be first to the green so I can walk off my putt distances while others are either chipping or lining up putts, but if this would cause me to walk in another player's line (not a *possible* future line for a ball that hasn't been hit yet), I'll walk off the putt on a parallel path that is the same distance. All of this adds maybe 5-10 seconds to my putting routine, but I'm mindful of pace of play and make sure to do it quickly while waiting for others to play. I generally don't walk off any putt that I gauge to be under 3 paces long.

Ultimately, using this method means I'm rarely grinding over length of putts. I can focus on the line because I have the distance pegged. I almost never leave putts more than a few feet long or short, and even those are mostly on super long lag putts that fall way outside my reference backswings. With this, I've virtually eliminated 3-putts and almost always leave my second putts within 2-4 feet.

If you happen to play entirely by feel, with no inputs to give you distances for shots, that's awesome for you and your style of play. But, as long as players aren't killing pace of play or impeding other golfers' games, why is it important to anyone else *how* they play their game? If they can reduce their number of putts from something like 37-38 to around 31-33 because they're not leaving putts 10 feet long or short and reducing 3-putts, that's good for their game, as well as for the pace of play, which is good for all of us. Playing by feel vs. being more analytical isn't a badge of honor...to each their own.

Comparing full shots to putts is completely asinine imo. I doubt any person knows the distance of a full putt but do know the distance of a full 9 iron. Why? Because it’s relevant. Putting is 99% feel. Seeing a line and feeling the stroke it will take to cover the required distance. How do you gauge a 30 ft straight putt vs a 30 ft putt uphill with 6 ft of break? Surely they’re not the same and there’s no formula to come up with a number. You see it, feel it, hit it.

Is the green wet? Dry?

Comparing full shots to putts is completely asinine imo. I doubt any person knows the distance of a full putt but do know the distance of a full 9 iron. Why? Because it’s relevant. Putting is 99% feel. Seeing a line and feeling the stroke it will take to cover the required distance. How do you gauge a 30 ft straight putt vs a 30 ft putt uphill with 6 ft of break? Surely they’re not the same and there’s no formula to come up with a number. You see it, feel it, hit it.

We can agree to disagree. I think knowing the distance for a full putt is exactly the same as knowing the distance for a full 9i. The only difference is that I've worked out a definition of what a full putt is for me and can add to or subtract from it as needed.

Some players rely more on feel, some rely more on mechanics. I would argue that many feel players probably have some subconscious mechanical calculations going on in their heads, which then guides their bodies through the resulting stroke. For instance, if you're standing over a 20 footer, you've ingrained a backswing of a certain length for that putt by practicing on the putting green (or from the thousands of other putts you've hit over time). You see it's an uphill breaker, and you subconsciously give it a little more oomph than a flat 20-footer would require. I do the same, but I've premeasured how far a backswing to the inside of my right foot will travel and simply shorten the backswing by 1 inch. I can absolutely gauge a 30-foot uphill putt vs a straight putt, based on the pre-round putting routine I mentioned. If it's uphill on what I gauge to be a 1-degree slope, I add 25% more distance and adjust my backswing accordingly to that new distance (i.e.: add 3 inches to the backswing). Left-to-right slider? I approximate that the effective distance is 3 feet shorter and deduct that because the putt will run out more at the hole (so I shorten the backswing by another inch). The bottom line is that it's not feel for me because I'm not a feel player - I use repeatable mechanics based on practice and prior experience. While you may do all this subconsciously (feel), I do the calculations in my head in a matter of seconds while reading the putt (mechanics).

That holds true from tee to green; if I need to take a little off of a 9-iron, I choke down half an inch instead of trying to feel a slightly shorter shot. For short wedges (40 to 90 yds), I use the Pelz clock method with 4 different wedges to replicate fairly consistent results as long as I execute the shot. For pitches inside 40 yds and chips, I know the carry and *general* roll-out distances (depending on green firmness) for every club in my bag when hit with a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full chipping or pitching stroke. The way my mind works, I'm at my best when I have information - I can then plug that into my mental computer and draw from my inventory of shot options to make my best attempt.

And I know the old argument about throwing a ball: I wouldn't pace off the distance before tossing it to you. My argument is that, if I had to hit a 4-1/4 inch spot on you and we were counting the number of attempts before I hit it, I just might be better served to practice tosses from different distances to know how big a swing and what release point would get me closest to that spot in the fewest number of tries.

I don't get why you seem to think it's not OK for players to play this way, and I don't understand why this elicits such a visceral reaction from some people. I don't argue that is asinine to play with an understanding of how far you have to hit the ball with 13 of your 14 clubs, but then totally abandon that approach once you have a putter in your hand. Is it also wrong that some people prefer mallet putters over blades? Or jumbo grips over standard? No. You figure out what helps you get the most from your own game and you roll with it. There is no right or wrong - if it works for you, it's fine as long as it doesn't disrupt teh game for other people.

Putting is not “99% feel”.

The average distance of a putt made on the PGA Tour is a little over 4 feet; for an amateur it is most likely much shorter. There is no “feel” needed to sink a 3 footer.

If you are outside of 15 feet the probability of sinking the putt is < 20%, and getting inside a 3 foot radius is paramount. Speed control therefore is the most critical aspect of long putts, and knowing the length of a putt can only help.