2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone Go From a K15 to the G400 Max?

Oldnavycdr

Clearly it has been awhile since I've bought a new driver. I've read so much love for the G400 Max that I'm headed to a fitting with Fred Van Steen in Pinehurst. I've put the K15 up against many new offerings at demo days over the years and nothing was significantly better -- many worse. Curious if anyone here has made this particular jump. If so, what did you experience? What shaft? Any advice?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played the K15 in 12 and 10.5 degrees since they came out in 2010.

I made the switch to a Ping G and saw no improvement. In fact the K15 was more forgiving and more accurate with the same distance.

I then changed to the Max a few months ago. I still feel the K15 is more accurate and forgiving. The Max is a tad longer although I'm comparing a Max at 9* and a K15 at either 10.5 or 12*. I've tried both the Tour and stock shaft. I give up a tad bit of accuracy but gain 10 to 15 yards with the Max.

Overall the K15 is still across the board the best driver ever made.

The K15 was the first 45" driver I could play without having to worry if the shot was going straight or OB left (I'm a lefty). Tried the G400SFT and the G400Max. Bought the Max. All owned or tried were 10.5° with stock shaft & R flex. I've gained yards total, some due to just hitting the ball straighter consistently, but also in pure distance (10 yds). Everyone in my league has commented how my driving game is much better this year. I am going to add a G400 fw and maybe a hybrid to the bag in the future. Bought the driver new, looking at previously owned for fw & hybrid. I think you will be surprised how good the stock shaft will play. I think the combination of heavier head and counter balanced shaft fit my swing. If you are playing the stock shaft in the K15, I think you'll see benefit with the G400Max. If you've been fitted for a shaft in the K15, won't know until you try the G400Max.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Thanks, guys! My K15 has the stock shaft and I just picked it up from Carl's who was clearing them out at under $150. Stock shaft, not fit to me but the K15 has performed quite well. What an under rated club this is. As I am not one who needs the shiny new thing the reviews of the Max have turned my head. So, I'm going to give the fitting a go and let the numbers and feel help me decide if a new war stick is in the cards.

BTW, the K15 is 10.5*.

The K15 I believe had the shallowest and most stretched out of the Ping driver heads. So essentially the largest footprint. The design lends itself to high moi.

Also if you need help with closing the face the heel weighting assists with that and should help mitigate a slice/fade.

I have owned maybe 3 10.5's and 6 12* with various shafts. I would still be playing it however I sole a driver and if you sole this driver on the heel side, the sf tec weight pad rocks the face shut which I don’t want. If you sole it more in the center of the head it sets up more neutral.

Great driver and one of the cult classics out there. If it fits you keep it.

I know a gentleman on here who plays the K15. He spent a good amount of time, money and effort to find a shaft combination he likes with it (Believe he is currently using a Grand Bassara). He has tried virtually everything out there and nothing ever knocks the K15 out of the bag. M4 D Type came close but the k15 is still in his bag.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I was fitted into the K15 way back in 2010, and played it for 4 years; it's a great driver.

Then in 2014, I went to the fitter that I've always worked with when the G30 came out, and it turned out that with the G30 SFT, I picked up about 8 yards that I had lost over the years because the spin rate was lower on the G30. To me, the G30 SFT was/is an updated, adjustable version of the K15. The other big difference, at least for me, is that Ping REALLY upgraded the stock shaft for the G30 over previous models, including the K15. The TFC in the G30 is the first time I've ever gotten better results with the stock shaft than with an aftermarket upgrade. All of this was done thru the fitting process with one of Ping's best guys.

Fast forward to this past January, and I did another fitting for the G400, and ended up regaining some lost distance again, this time because I picked up 3 mph of clubhead and ball speed with the slightly smaller G400 SF. In every other respect, the G400 SF and the G30 SF were comparable, but both were clearly better that the K15 for both distance AND dispersion. Don't misunderstand; I loved the K15! But technology marches on, and adjustability is a big tweak. (I haven't hit the G400 Max, fwiw.)

IMO, the K15 is possibly the most misunderstood and underrated club in recent years. I never understood why more players didn't try it, and I don't know ANY that tried it and didn't use it.

It may be important to my results that I'm 66 and battling the loss of clubhead speed and resulting distance as hard as I can. If that isn't your situation, it might matter less; it also might be the same.

I'll be 67 in a week. Surely I've lost some club head speed but I'm still pretty fit. When I'm swinging the K15 well it is as long as ever. Interesting observation about the heal weight closing the club face when soled on the heel. I'll take note of that as my awful miss is low and left. Fitting is booked for tomorrow afternoon. I'll report on the results. Will do a full bag fitting as the cost differential from just a driver is only $20. Downside is I might wear out over the course of the fitting. Playing Callaway XR's with Recoil 460 F3's which were quasi fitted at a demo day. Let's see what the numbers show.

I think the K15 got the rep as an "old man's driver" with the launch of the short lived Karsten line. Shame, cause it is a solid stick, but a hell of a find when they cleared them out so cheap!

Im still playing my K15 driver and 3 wood, which at 16 degrees is really close to a 4 wood. The 3 wood is amazing. Probably my favorite club in my bag and I use it to tee off with a fair amount.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

I'll be 67 in a week. Surely I've lost some club head speed but I'm still pretty fit. When I'm swinging the K15 well it is as long as ever. Interesting observation about the heal weight closing the club face when soled on the heel. I'll take note of that as my awful miss is low and left. Fitting is booked for tomorrow afternoon. I'll report on the results. Will do a full bag fitting as the cost differential from just a driver is only $20. Downside is I might wear out over the course of the fitting. Playing Callaway XR's with Recoil 460 F3's which were quasi fitted at a demo day. Let's see what the numbers show.

I think the K15 got the rep as an "old man's driver" with the launch of the short lived Karsten line. Shame, cause it is a solid stick, but a hell of a find when they cleared them out so cheap!

I agree with you 100% about the perception of the K15. The reality was/is much different.

I have ALWAYS played a draw and fought a hook, and the K15 was the first driver I ever used with which I could reliably hit a fade. (The same is true for the G30 and the G400 SF's, fwiw.) I have ideas about why that was true, but whatever the case, it was a revelation and a bonus.

I've written here many times over the years on threads about the K15 that I thought it was misunderstood and underrated; I'm sure the guys at Ping probably felt the same way.

Also, I had the K15 fairway woods for awhile as well. I think they were probably the easiest fairways to elevate off a tight lie that I ever owned; the spin rates and the distance weren't good enough for me to keep them, but they were really, really fun to hit.

K15 driver and woods basically started my love for all things Ping.

We all think new stuff must suit us better so bought a G SFT driver as a K15 12 degree replacement. Nope.

Now have a G400 SFT which although is longer will still occasionally explode right which never , ever happened with K15. Amazing clubs. I have 3 drivers , 3 wood , 5 wood and 7 wood and will never sell.

The fitting was truly an eye opening experience! I purposely did not look at or inquire as to which head or shaft I was testing at any given time so my preconception as to the G400 Max or any other head was not in play. As it turned out, the G400 SF at 10*, with the Tour 65 R , - 1/2" performed the best and was a marked improvement over my K15. When we reviewed the recommendation afterwards I inquired as to whether I had hit the Max. The fitter said no because there was a distinct performance difference between the G400 and the 400 SF. This should be no surprise I guess. The K15 uses the similar heel weighting (which I believe was first introduced in the K15) as the G400 SF so he said I needed the heel weighting which isn't in the Max. Fitter brought down my ball flight and added significant length with the G400 SF/Tour 65 combo. Aside from the actual performance I noticed how much smoother the 400 was over the K15 and I could really feel the club head! We did irons and putter as well but I'll leave that for another thread. So, here is my quandary: I did this fitting primarily to try out the Max, but didn't actually hit it. I was pretty tired after the fitting so I didn't ask but can go back and hit it just to satisfy myself that indeed the SF as recommended is the best fit for me. And I guess I will do that so as not to have lingering doubts. But, I will say that while the K15 has been fantastic for me, technology does indeed march on. Shafts are better, adjustability works, and Ping is still producing fantastic clubs. I'll update after I actually hit the Max.

The fitting was truly an eye opening experience! I purposely did not look at or inquire as to which head or shaft I was testing at any given time so my preconception as to the G400 Max or any other head was not in play. As it turned out, the G400 SF at 10*, with the Tour 65 R , - 1/2" performed the best and was a marked improvement over my K15. When we reviewed the recommendation afterwards I inquired as to whether I had hit the Max. The fitter said no because there was a distinct performance difference between the G400 and the 400 SF. This should be no surprise I guess. The K15 uses the similar heel weighting (which I believe was first introduced in the K15) as the G400 SF so he said I needed the heel weighting which isn't in the Max. Fitter brought down my ball flight and added significant length with the G400 SF/Tour 65 combo. Aside from the actual performance I noticed how much smoother the 400 was over the K15 and I could really feel the club head! We did irons and putter as well but I'll leave that for another thread. So, here is my quandary: I did this fitting primarily to try out the Max, but didn't actually hit it. I was pretty tired after the fitting so I didn't ask but can go back and hit it just to satisfy myself that indeed the SF as recommended is the best fit for me. And I guess I will do that so as not to have lingering doubts. But, I will say that while the K15 has been fantastic for me, technology does indeed march on. Shafts are better, adjustability works, and Ping is still producing fantastic clubs. I'll update after I actually hit the Max.

Thanks for the update!

You'll love the G400 SF, I think. Out of curiosity, did you leave the hosel setting at neutral? I ask this because in the G30 SF, I got the best results in the "big plus", which is closed. I expected the G400 SF to be the same; it isn't, and the neutral setting gave me the best numbers.

Annnnd.... we have another convert. Well done Doc.

Every time i read the ol’ “ my G10, K15, Rapture w/the blind you with the lime green stiff shaft is so much better than the G400 or Max “ routine i just smile and SMH. I have owned and hit every single Ping driver starting with the G10 and have felt like each model was at least a slight upgrade from the previous one. Some more than others.

This is like driving a late 60’s early 70’s muscle car and then driving the new Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. Sure the original is pretty cool, but the brakes, steering and handling suck compared to the 2018 model. Same goes for R7, Big Bertha and G5 compared to the M3/4, Rogue and G400.

I returned to the fitter to hit things again and added the G400 Max to satisfy myself that the fitter had made the right call. As noted above he had told me he didn't put the Max in play as he felt I would leave it out to the right. And he was correct. So, I won't be second guessing him or myself which was the point of going back and to verify that the recommended clubs still felt the same as the fitting.. I pulled the trigger on the G400 SF, Tour 65, R just as he prescribed. To that I added the recommended G400 irons with the Alta CB's and a G400 hybrid. Also added a Kushin putter. It would be an all Ping bag except for the XR fairways which the fitter said worked just fine...and they do. So, full circle from the G15 bag to Callaway (with the K15 driver) and back to Ping. I'll need to figure which set to put on BST and which to keep as the back up, but I'll not likely part with the K15. I want the new Ping to know that any misbehavior could lead to time out with the other garage queens.

Thanks guys!