2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Those TS-1's have really piqued my interest lately. I recently built a Maltby wedge and am really enjoying it.

I'd love to try one of these TS-1's out. For those of you with better club making skills than I, would you ever just buy one head? Put it on a test shaft. Spend some time with it on the range and course to give myself a proper feel for whether or not it will be a good fit. Best case scenario I love it and complete the full set around it. Worst case scenario I spent $50 as a rental fee. I don't eat the lost cost of flipping a full set. I enjoy building things and would gain some benefit in the time spent putting it together. I gain some valuable knowledge about how certain types of clubs perform for me. Am I being a little overly optimistic?

That's how I do it. Built a TS-1 5i and PW. Testing them on course trying to decide whether to build out the set. Usually just do 5 iron, but wanted a feel for how a non-foamed head felt so grabbed a PW too.

I have 4,5 ts2 and 6-gw ts1 and love them

Benn eyeing the ts2. Noted your 14 hcp which is approx. mine as well. How would you describe the ts2 iro forgiveness, distance and feel. I presently have the Maltby TEs and been wondering how the ts2 as well the ptm irons compare to the te irons..

Index is 10.8. I used to play TEs with KBS Tour ® shafts. Built a set of TS2 with Bassara graphite ® shafts. Very pleased with them. Comparing the TE and TS2: The TEs tended to balloon some, haven't had that problem with the TS2. I would say forgiveness is about the same for toe/heel or thin strikes. I have a shallow angle of attack for swing and the sole of the TS2 makes a noticeable improvement on fat shots. The TEs are softer feel but I the ball flight of the TS2 is better for me.

Some of the items above are probably due to graphite shafts... but I am very happy with my set.

Will I'm coming from p790,p770 and the cobra forged tec black and they are just as forgiving imho but for me the less offset was why i changed it seems to suit my eyes best, I'm using the same shafts i had in my cobras, accra 110 , and they are Soo smooth

I have 4,5 ts2 and 6-gw ts1 and love them

Benn eyeing the ts2. Noted your 14 hcp which is approx. mine as well. How would you describe the ts2 iro forgiveness, distance and feel. I presently have the Maltby TEs and been wondering how the ts2 as well the ptm irons compare to the te irons..

A little off topic but … Like my TS2s (5-9 graphite) and looking to add a driving iron (lots of short/tight par 4's at my club) Current 4i is a Cleveland 588 MT with stock graphite shaft. I was playing TEs with KBS tour shafts but they just ballooned to much and decided to switch to graphite. Love the flight from the TS2s.

Any recommendations between TS2/TS1/MMB/PTM or KE4 TC? Thanks.

Why not just add the Ts2 4 iron and have it adjusted to whatever loft you think fits?

========================================================================================

I had a similar idea. I got a TS-2 4 iron with a graphite shaft and am thinking of using it as my driving iron. I have been using a Mizuno Hi-Fli for years. Both clubs have 21 degree loft and I had Golfworks make the 4i the same length as the Hi-Fli. The Mizuno is great off of the tee but not so much off the deck.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

@Popeye. Hey man thanks for the postings for all the Maltby equipment - pics and stats take time. So Thank You from all Maltby hitters.

I did have a line on a new set of F2's - the original hollow iron from Maltby - but I've decided on the TS2's. That's an awesome looking head. In Canada it's $72/per head so I'll be adding a couple of pieces at a time over fall and winter. Pairing them up with PX 5.5.

Thanks again Popeye.

@Popeye. Hey man thanks for the postings for all the Maltby equipment - pics and stats take time. So Thank You from all Maltby hitters.

I did have a line on a new set of F2's - the original hollow iron from Maltby - but I've decided on the TS2's. That's an awesome looking head. In Canada it's $72/per head so I'll be adding a couple of pieces at a time over fall and winter. Pairing them up with PX 5.5.

Thanks again Popeye.

No Problem Woodrow. It always amazes me how few people have even heard of the Maltby name. Yet they hit them and are in awe when they find out what they cost and how well they play. Putting them in direct comparison to OEMs makes selling them during a fitting even easier.

Those F2s were ahead of their time. I played those for a good two years.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put in an order to fill in the TS-1s for the lofted irons. I have been steadily using the TS-1 PW and 7i when at the yardage works out. I will definitely mix the bag up to the 8i and the jury is still out on the 7. These irons are easy to hit and build confidence. The level of forgiveness on shots is very surprising. I was away for almost a month and came out and shot even with a swing that didnt wake up till the 6th hole. Also have been enjoying the Dynamic Gold 105 shafts. Very similar feel to the S300 without the weight.

Over all these are the best irons Maltby has even made. I dont think you can go wrong with either the TS-1 or 2. The difference in forgiveness is tangible but not a big enough gap to scare a mid HP player from being able to play them.

I have mainly been playing blades past several years but am going to play some competitive golf next year and am thinking about what makes an optimal set for me, 66 yrs 8 index. These two together ts-1&2 make a lot of sense.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Popeye, how different are the sole widths between ts 2 vs 1? On shorter irons I like a pretty thin sole - feels like I can finesse shots better. If you get a chance and wouldn’t mind I’d love to see a pic of wedge soles (I think you have wedges of both...)

Is it possible to buy the paks with different shafts at a discount? I only see the one shaft...

I have played Wishon along the way and think these are just what I am looking for competitive play. If the soles of the ts2 are thin enough I’d play them at least through pw and maybe gw

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Just a quick update as I've been experimenting with a TS1 8 iron and GW. As we already know, these are great looking clubs! And, they do look so much better in person. Since I'm currently playing the TE Forged, I can only compare it to these.

The sole is thinner, which I like. The trajectory is lower and piercing, due to the lower lofts as compared to TE's. However, you can still launch this higher, if needed. If you are playing a cavity back and want to move to a more blade-looking club, you will not find these difficult to hit. I really like the GW on full shots, and on half and three quarter swings. I really enjoy hitting chip shots with it, and it checks up very well. In fact, It may be the best gap wedge I've ever used.

At this point, I do not know if I will switch to these, but I"m seriously considering it and will definitely have a full set by next spring. I have always enjoyed the TE's, and don't really need to switch. But, in all honesty, these are 5 star clubs. Maltby/Golfworks should be very proud of the work they've put into this club.

FWIW, I had these built with the Dynamic Gold AMT S300, which is what I am using in my current clubs, with the Royal LinkTech full cord grip. Btw, it you like cord grips, I would highly recommend giving these a try. it is by far the best cord grip I've ever used.

Popeye, how different are the sole widths between ts 2 vs 1? On shorter irons I like a pretty thin sole - feels like I can finesse shots better. If you get a chance and wouldn’t mind I’d love to see a pic of wedge soles (I think you have wedges of both...)

Is it possible to buy the paks with different shafts at a discount? I only see the one shaft...

I have played Wishon along the way and think these are just what I am looking for competitive play. If the soles of the ts2 are thin enough I’d play them at least through pw and maybe gw

Measured at the middle of the sole in the same way the TS-1 is .755 the TS-2 was .785 It's not an official measurement but its what I got from my verniers. The web site has the 6 iron sole width almost exactly what I just measured. They are wider to the eye and they definitely take less of a divot. But, it's not a huge difference. I will say this. The TS-1 PW around the green is the best club I have used ever. In any given round I am rolling one in or lipping out on 2 or 3 holes. I have rarely had more than a three footer lately after a chip.

When ordering a club pak you can swap in more expensive shafts. You still get a discount but you pay the difference for the shafts. You can also pick your own grips at the same deal. If it's more money you pay the difference. But it doesn't work the other way by picking cheaper components. It's still the basic club pak price.

In the picture the TS-1 is on the left. It's more evident in person which one is bigger.a2a39a9a0148d7af24a46d366c288956.jpg

DBM finish is a trade off, durable black finish but brittle and thus not bendable. They could make it bendable, but then it wouldn't be as durable.

They have standard finishes for basically all these DBM models, so if you want bendable just get the regular finish.

I just ordered a set of DBM Forged with a 2 degree upright bend. Golfworks said no problem. They charged me.....I hope they bent them!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Measured at the middle of the sole in the same way the TS-1 is .755 the TS-2 was .785 It's not an official measurement but its what I got from my verniers. The web site has the 6 iron sole width almost exactly what I just measured. They are wider to the eye and they definitely take less of a divot. But, it's not a huge difference. I will say this. The TS-1 PW around the green is the best club I have used ever. In any given round I am rolling one in or lipping out on 2 or 3 holes. I have rarely had more than a three footer lately after a chip.

When ordering a club pak you can swap in more expensive shafts. You still get a discount but you pay the difference for the shafts. You can also pick your own grips at the same deal. If it's more money you pay the difference. But it doesn't work the other way by picking cheaper components. It's still the basic club pak price.

In the picture the TS-1 is on the left. It's more evident in person which one is bigger.

Thx a lot... really appreciate it. So I am thinking blended 5-7 or 8 ts-2, then 8/9 - gw ts-1.

Are you a fitter? I am wondering how one finds fitters who have Maltby clubs. Dont see anything on his maltby site.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

In the picture the TS-1 is on the left. It's more evident in person which one is bigger.

Thx a lot... really appreciate it. So I am thinking blended 5-7 or 8 ts-2, then 8/9 - gw ts-1.

Are you a fitter? I am wondering how one finds fitters who have Maltby clubs. Dont see anything on his maltby site.

A blended set is a great way to go. I am at scratch and I have been pretty happy playing all season with the TS-2s. So it's tough to go wrong with these. It's more personal preference unless you need help.

I do fitting but I'm in North east Pa. If you go on the Golworks forum you can ask a question and someone should chime in with some registered fitters. But another way to go is to go to a Golf Galaxy/Box Store or an OEM fitting day and get your specs. Then order a club pak from Golfworks. They will assemble the set to your exact specs for free. Bending for loft and lie is a minimal expense. All told you will spend way less than half for any comparable OEM set.

A blended set is a great way to go. I am at scratch and I have been pretty happy playing all season with the TS-2s. So it's tough to go wrong with these. It's more personal preference unless you need help.

I do fitting but I'm in North east Pa. If you go on the Golworks forum you can ask a question and someone should chime in with some registered fitters. But another way to go is to go to a Golf Galaxy/Box Store or an OEM fitting day and get your specs. Then order a club pak from Golfworks. They will assemble the set to your exact specs for free. Bending for loft and lie is a minimal expense. All told you will spend way less than half for any comparable OEM set.

What i want to figure out is shafts. Do you find if a shaft works in one head , it works pretty much the same in similar heads?

This set is purely about what I can score with the best (7 index). The ONLY reason I am thinking TS-1 is for chipping - thin soles are better for me. So maybe only TS-1 in PW/GW....

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

What i want to figure out is shafts. Do you find if a shaft works in one head , it works pretty much the same in similar heads?

This set is purely about what I can score with the best (7 index). The ONLY reason I am thinking TS-1 is for chipping - thin soles are better for me. So maybe only TS-1 in PW/GW....

Definitely that is the case. Finding a good shaft for yourself carry over to other heads. Shaft feel plays a big part in someone's preference almost over dispersion. Myself I find I can put up with a shaft that might seem slightly harsh if it it does what I want in the air. Feel wise my favorite shaft is the Nippon 950GH but with that soft feel and my swingspeed it doesnt always give my the control I want. But,, I have found over the years that I can play with just about and golf shaft. Just adjust my timing a bit.

In my gamers I have the Dynamic gold 105. In some heavy graphite iron shaft testing I found how much I enjoy a lighter shaft. The 105 is a great compromise with feel and control with a lighter shaft. I do want to try the Modus 3 105 one of these days.

I called GW a few weeks ago and asked them if they knew of any maltby fitters in the Chicago land area. They did not. They went to say if one is willing to travel to Newark Ohio, they charge $30 for fittings and credit this amount towards the purchase of new clubs. For a wacky moment I thought about doing this but the cost of the trip (gas, food, hotel) was not worth it. What I might do is wait for Club Champion's fitting winter sale - $99 iron fitting. I could at least figure out what shaft best suits me as well as length, lies etc.. (of course CC would not have Maltby heads).

15 hcp

I called GW a few weeks ago and asked them if they knew of any maltby fitters in the Chicago land area. They did not. They went to say if one is willing to travel to Newark Ohio, they charge $30 for fittings and credit this amount towards the purchase of new clubs. For a wacky moment I thought about doing this but the cost of the trip (gas, food, hotel) was not worth it. What I might do is wait for Club Champion's fitting winter sale - $99 iron fitting. I could at least figure out what shaft best suits me as well as length, lies etc.. (of course CC would not have Maltby heads).
Is that a fact that they dont have Maltby heads?

Is that a fact that they dont have Maltby heads?

Not a fact but I am assuming CC does not stock maltby heads. I'd be more than happy if I was incorrect.

15 hcp

I put a ts2 8i in play today as a demo. Shafted up with a Wishon s2s stepless, R flex. Nice combo. Feel is very good, although not as good as the TE forged, I would say close. I hit every shot on the money, no practice, nada. I was able to flight the ball easily, knockdowns, stock, etc. I typically move some turf and these are really good and was amazed at how well these interacted with the ground for me, no crater divots. These have some serious potential.

Snuck in 9 holes today and really began to question the mixed bag.

First off the 5 iron has turned into an absolute weapon. I get almost 210 in the air and it's very accurate to boot. But where I really started to question things were how much I was using the gap wedge which is a TS-2 and on following holes hitting the TS-1 PW. I was bombing the pin with the GW. Came a few inches from a slam dunk on a par 3. Three holes later actually hit the hole on the fly. In a few places I dropped a ball 165-170 out and hit the TS-1 7 iron. Was hitting a baby draw with them but they were all on the green. The TS-2 7 iron was all over the hole.

What I really have come to think is that you cant go wrong with either of these. I really think I may just be playing all TS-2. As sexy as the TS-1s are,, I cant ignore the forgiveness and performance of the TS-2.

The one place the TS-1 PW is stellar is in the around the green bump and run. I cant get the same feel or action out of the TS-2. Maybe I need to practice more with the TS-2 around the green.

Confusing myself but in a good way. Still scoring lights out too.

First picture is from the 5 iron that few about 208 right over the flag.

Second is the GW that just went past the hole by less than a foot. And I made both putts.5bd6cddf2897dde6df43cbf0aebcb870.jpgbf1e699f99e6d8f46a598707c2979034.jpg

popeye you are really selling the ts2.... even though I would want the Ts1 lol

Popeye are you able to flight shots with the TS2....

I use to play "players" game improvement irons which really helped me out they were point and shoot and super forgiving. however I found that I lost some precision and the shorter irons sometimes seemed hot I was hitting the GW (48*) 150 yards sometimes. I could still work them they just took more effort to do so.

that's why I switched to a player's CB, but my game sucks from a long break (4-5 years). and my irons seem to require a lot of focus lol. thinking about going to a forgiving iron for point and shoot I just don't want lose some of the precision/consistency, so I can worry about short game instead

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

popeye you are really selling the ts2.... even though I would want the Ts1 lol

Popeye are you able to flight shots with the TS2....

I use to play "players" game improvement irons which really helped me out they were point and shoot and super forgiving. however I found that I lost some precision and the shorter irons sometimes seemed hot I was hitting the GW (48*) 150 yards sometimes. I could still work them they just took more effort to do so.

that's why I switched to a player's CB, but my game sucks from a long break (4-5 years). and my irons seem to require a lot of focus lol. thinking about going to a forgiving iron for point and shoot I just don't want lose some of the precision/consistency, so I can worry about short game instead

I have played blades for so long that it's pretty foreign to me to be pushing a more forgiving design.

I can flight shots fairly easily with the TS-2s. The TS-1s are pretty easy to get to turn over and hit a soft draw,, very easy... TS-2s like to go straight. It's pretty awesome seeing that 5 iron get on target and never move off of it the whole way.

As for giving up precision.. I dont feel that has been the case with the TS-2s. At all... if anything the TS-1 can get a little loose. For me the GW of the TS-2s has been knocking down the flag.

If you want to move the ball around, hit it real high or hit a low hook, or anything in between,,, go with the TS-1.

Also I have not found that the TS-2s give me a hot flyer as with some distance irons. Distance consistency has been a high point.