Crazy rumor of the day: Justin Rose to Honma?

GolfChannel

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that Drudersh to whatever catches his eye on the BST that week. Heard it from a friend who is 32% reliable.

I’m 67% sure this is true.

I also heard TheBoomer is being woo’d by an exotic Japanese clubmaker who’s clubs both look amazing and are out of our price range.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can’t imagine him playing Honma woods. I can’t imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.

Risky. He’s so good with TM equipment

I was under the impression, from second hand sources, that he was this generations Retief Goosen for TM in terms of not only being a brand ambassador but the chief source of quality feedback on their club offerings so they would be losing a lot more than just a staffer.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can't imagine him playing Honma woods. I can't imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.

Well I'm far from a TM honk - I have only 1 in the bag - That comment feels like a cheap shot to me. In terms of name prestige I would agree with you but as far as serious players irons I don't agree that Honma is necessarily better. TM is and probably always will be thought of as a woods company but IMO their better players iron offerings have been and continue to be strong. And isn't Rose playing the P730's (or Rose Proto's)?. Nothing very bejeweled about those. I would say TM has come as far as any company in recent memory to improving their "full bag" solution. I see more TM staffers bagging their putters and wedges than ever before. Anyway all that said I think you are right that he would probably stick with TM woods.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Seems like if this is true it would be irons only. Can't imagine him playing Honma woods. I can't imagine it would have that much impact on his game if he just switched his irons and bag. I think most would argue that honma irons would be a step up from taylormade. Talking about the serious players irons, not the bejeweled nonsense. He could stick with Taylormade woods.

Well I'm far from a TM honk - I have only 1 in the bag - That comment feels like a cheap shot to me. In terms of name prestige I would agree with you but as far as serious players irons I don't agree that Honma is necessarily better. TM is and probably always will be thought of as a woods company but IMO their better players iron offerings have been and continue to be strong. And isn't Rose playing the P730's (or Rose Proto's)?. Nothing very bejeweled about those. I would say TM has come as far as any company in recent memory to improving their "full bag" solution. I see more TM staffers bagging their putters and wedges than ever before. Anyway all that said I think you are right that he would probably stick with TM woods.

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn’t any “bettter” performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

If you like the size, shape, sole grind, and bounce, a blade player can play any blade.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same “family type” are really that different from maker to maker.

The switch from Titleist to Nike worked for Rory......Justin will be fine.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn't any "bettter" performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

If you like the size, shape, sole grind, and bounce, a blade player can play any blade.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same "family type" are really that different from maker to maker.

Hit a nerve I guess. Would like to clarify my comments.

1st, the "bejeweled nonsense" is a dig at Honma, not TM. Not sure if you are aware but some of their JDM offerrings are gold plated and diamond encrusted. Basically bling for rich old guys who can't play a lick.

2nd, I absolutely agree that its debatable whether anyone's forged blade is better than anyone else's. That's why I don't think it would be a big deal for Rose to switch irons. I'm sure TM blades are just fine, but there is an extra prestige factor around japanese forged irons such as Epon, Miura, etc. I would throw Honma in that category. Not sure how much of that is simply voodoo marketing. But most people on WRX I believe would perceive a Honma forged iron as equal if not superior to a Taylormade forged iron. Whether that’s true or not is another question. They may all come from the same Chinese blanks for all I know.

Agreed.

A blade is a blade is a blade. Honma certainly isn't any "bettter" performing than a p730 Customized lightly to the players specs.

This site always blows me away when people think irons in the same "family type" are really that different from maker to maker.

Hit a nerve I guess. Would like to clarify my comments.

1st, the "bejeweled nonsense" is a dig at Honma, not TM. Not sure if you are aware but some of their JDM offerrings are gold plated and diamond encrusted. Basically bling for rich old guys who can't play a lick.

2nd, I absolutely agree that its debatable whether anyone's forged blade is better than anyone else's. That's why I don't think it would be a big deal for Rose to switch irons. I'm sure TM blades are just fine, but there is an extra prestige factor around japanese forged irons such as Epon, Miura, etc. I would throw Honma in that category. Not sure how much of that is simply voodoo marketing. But most people on WRX I believe would perceive a Honma forged iron as equal if not superior to a Taylormade forged iron. Whether that’s true or not is another question. They may all come from the same Chinese blanks for all I know.

Come on now. Everyone knows that Honma, Epon and Miura use that special “magic” Japanese steel like in the old Samurai swords. It’s ten times better than everyone else’s.....right?

....I better watch out. The JDM devotees May attack me if I joke around too much.

Rose can go to Honma and they can pay him x amount of millions but it won’t make a single golfer in this country play Honma. They may as well flush the cash down the toilet

I would have agreed with you before Mark King got on board, but now I'm not so sure.

PXG's success shows that the premium segment is far from being oversaturated, so why should Honma not try to expand thier market depth? Some of thier irons not only look great but they feel beautiful when struck well, even those without the bling.

Honma has recently centralized thier European distribution operations which normally means either they're getting ready to shrink or expand. With King now moving pieces around the board I would guess the latter of the two, and here is where a signing of a high echelon PGA tour player becomes plausible.

It doesn't have to be Rose but he would be a great fit for Honma's European sales culture, and depending what they have in the pipeline an expansion of thier US footprint is 100% viable.

Wow, I think I'm fairly tuned into the golf world, and this is the first time I've ever heard of Honma Golf.

I'm no equipment geek...but I'm with you. Never remember hearing or seeing that brand??

As far as any pro changing brands for "big" money...got to get the contracts before your game goes down hill...for whatever reason..age..injury,,Rose is at the age and still has the game to get the big money.

Rose can go to Honma and they can pay him x amount of millions but it won’t make a single golfer in this country play Honma. They may as well flush the cash down the toilet

Whether or not they will have a larger net profit after signing Rose remains to be seen, but yes they will sell more clubs if they sign Rose and start a huge marketing push in the US. They don’t market clubs here much at all. If PXG can get a foothold, why not Honma?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Honma Tour World lines are for the serious players, their BERES lines are the blinged up, gold plated, diamond encrusted clubs are the ones for the rich guys who can't play but love to gamble their money out.

I hope he signs with Honma for irons and wedges and stick to TM for woods and get a custom putter from somebody....

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Honma Tour World lines are for the serious players, their BERES lines are the blinged up, gold plated, diamond encrusted clubs are the ones for the rich guys who can't play but love to gamble their money out.

I hope he signs with Honma for irons and wedges and stick to TM for woods and get a custom putter from somebody....

I can see it making sense signing Rose. He’s highly ranked and he doesn’t have his own bag design advertising any of his other sponsors. He’s using a basic TM staff bag. And the most important thing for Honma staff players in helping build brand awareness is getting their players in deals that involve the bag and hardcovers if possible. SO if look for minimal deals. Irons, bag, and headcovers. Wedges would be desirable. Getting a player tobag the woods would be a bonus but the headcovers are more important.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX