Converting regular shoes into golf shoes

Has anyone on here ever had a shoe maker convert their regular (dress) shoes into golf shoes? I have a pair of normal shoes that need new soles anyway, so now is the time to maybe convert them.

So I'am looking for things to keep in mind.

I can think of some obvious things (heel area in normal shoes may not be as supportive as in regular golf shoes), and would like to know is someone has a source for (i don't know if there is a word for it) the spike "bedding" (i think the 'nuts' that the spikes screw into are somehow connected to eachother via a sort of plastic 'spider').

Send them to me with $100 and a prepaid return label and I'll turn them in to golf shoes for you no problemo.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The soles of dress style golf shoes are extremely specific to firmly enclose the spike bases. Your shoe man has nothing like it unless he can get some soles from footjoy or another golf shoe maker. I’m sure the conversion, if it were even possible, would cost too much to make it worthwhile.

Edit...oops. ignore this post. Ive never heard of it but Apparently this is done regularly.. ; )

I've had it done a couple of times.

Any cobbler capable of replacing a goodyear welted sole should be easily able to make the conversion (and be able to source the golf sole). As somebody noted above, you're not going to get waterproof shoes; but I've done this with 'old favorite' dress shoes and they make a nice option for reasonable weather days.

The soles of dress style golf shoes are extremely specific to firmly enclose the spike bases. Your shoe man has nothing like it unless he can get some soles from footjoy or another golf shoe maker. I’m sure the conversion, if it were even possible, would cost too much to make it worthwhile.

This is not true at all. On a goodyear welted shoe, it's as simple as swapping out the sole. Both Alden and Allen Edmonds will trade out a regular sole for a golf sole as part of their normal 'recrafting' service.

This is not true at all. On a goodyear welted shoe, it's as simple as swapping out the sole. Both Alden and Allen Edmonds will trade out a regular sole for a golf sole as part of their normal 'recrafting' service.

Are you talking about actual spiked golf shoes? I’ve never heard of this conversion.

I was in the golf industry for years and never heard of this or saw it done. Damn. You Learn something new every day if you pay attention I guess.

I remember reading....I think Harry Vardon's book? where he described how many nails you should put in your shoes. Pretty sure in those days they literally took the insoles out of the shoes and pushed nails through the soles. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, of if you have more info.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Are you talking about actual spiked golf shoes? I’ve never heard of this conversion.

Yep. Actual spikes (well, softspikes these days, with one of the twist-lock systems).

It's a shame that shoes have become a throwaway item for so many people...

Wow. People have actually done this? Crazy. I wouldn’t have imagined the soles that actually accept spikes would be generally available. Interesting.

It was commonly done a few decades ago when solid Brogues were more common. More often than not, it was like trying to turn an Oldsmobile into a Jaguar and ending up with a Chyrsler.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Wow. People have actually done this? Crazy. I wouldn’t have imagined the soles that actually accept spikes would be generally available. Interesting.

It was commonly done a few decades ago when solid Brogues were more common. More often than not, it was like trying to turn an Oldsmobile into a Jaguar and ending up with a Chyrsler.

I had a pair of leather soled Footjoy classics resoled back in the late 80’ by footjoy, but I never imagined doing it to regular off the rack dress shoes.

Of course now you can buy a decent pair of last years golf shoes on sale for under $100 bucks so it’s easy to have the “disposable” mentality.

Call LaRossa (781) 335-9631 and it's simple or if by chance they are Allen Edmonds then they already have this as an option in their Recrafting selection online. It's not a crazy idea and I've done it a handful of times with AE Strands that were broken in and needing new soles anyway.

http://www.larossashoerepair.com/soles-and-heel-options/

https://www.allenedmonds.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-allen-edmonds-redesign/default/dw3d954cc0/images/Landing/recrafting/AE_2018RecraftingForm_Interactive.pdf

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

The difference is that now there are no "Oldsmobile" quality shoes with goodyear welted soles. If you have a shoe that is decent enough quality to consider doing this to, it's already a Jaguar (or better).

• Like 1

with several pairs of Jag-mobiles that would qualify for conversion, I read this thread with interest.

just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Allen Edmonds. leather soles. walking twenty minutes in an unexpected downpour. wet feet. never said they were waterproof.

stuff 'em with newspaper and place near a vent until quitting time.

for the same $200 bucks this changeover job is about, get really nice FootJoys and keep the antiques to wear with a suit.

you can always retread the FJ's and still have quality footwear.

Win-Win.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Thanks for all the input. Didn't realize shoemakers could source the insoles required (but it makes sense as I have see some Crockett & Jones golf shoes on ebay in the past; was thinking of doing the conversion with an old pair of Crockett & Jones shoes). Will inquire with my local shoemaker.

I agree that sourcing a nice pair of Footjoys is easier, but my normal shoes are much more comfortable (and light) than all the Footjoys I have come across, I still have a pair of FJ Classics with steel spikes but my feet hurt like hell after 18 holes, hence the idea of reusing an old pair of more comfortable shoes).

Wow. People have actually done this? Crazy. I wouldn't have imagined the soles that actually accept spikes would be generally available. Interesting.

I had a pair of leather soled Footjoy classics resoled back in the late 80' by footjoy, but I never imagined doing it to regular off the rack dress shoes.

Of course now you can buy a decent pair of last years golf shoes on sale for under $100 bucks so it's easy to have the "disposable" mentality.

Back in the day it was a common practice with real quality leather shoes. But then again shoe repair stores were common. The last shoe repair store I saw around here was 15 years ago. A older man had a shoe repair bread truck. He sat up at various places during the week. He could resole shoes repair golf bags etc. I think he passed a few years back. I can remember back in the day my old man had several pairs of Johnson Murphy or Florshiem shoes converted and several he had recapped so to speak with street soles. Yep you are absolutely correct on the "throw away society" thing today

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ten-year old pair of Church brogues that need re-soling. Cost £350 when new and the soles have been worn out twice now, yet the uppers are barely broken in. I may investigate the options if I can find a real cobbler (as opposed to these places that cut keys and glue cheap rubber onto the bottom of equally cheap shoes). If I can't find a cobbler I may contact Church direct. Either way I refuse to give in to the 21st century disposable mentality.

I have a ten-year old pair of Church brogues that need re-soling. Cost £350 when new and the soles have been worn out twice now, yet the uppers are barely broken in. I may investigate the options if I can find a real cobbler (as opposed to these places that cut keys and glue cheap rubber onto the bottom of equally cheap shoes). If I can't find a cobbler I may contact Church direct. Either way I refuse to give in to the 21st century disposable mentality.

http://thealtoncobbler.co.uk/

?

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

http://thealtoncobbler.co.uk/

?

Thanks - they're not far from me either. Next time I'm out that way I'll see what they can do.

I've noticed in the last couple years, the "waterproof" golf shoes I've bought are not waterproof. Two pairs I bought last year, leaked badly this year. One pair bought this year leaked first time out, although 1 year waterproof warranty. Took those back. Bought a pair of Etonics on line, feet are damp, not soaked.

Golf shoes are not meant to be walked in, only ridden in carts, on perfectly manicured fairways.

Thinking of getting a pair of hunting or hiking boots to wear in wet weather.