2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

About Sam Snead's PGA Tour wins total...

Darth Putter

I think most seasoned golf fans have had Tiger having the most wins for a while, probably at the 70ish point. Only one meaningful record stands in his way, it’s 18.

Although imo if he were to win even 4 more events and 1 major, he’s goat to those who still wanna say Jack. I don’t think reaching 18 is necessary

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All valid points and Gary and I had a discussion about the numbers in his article and no matter how I tried to scrape, claw and grab a tourney out of the "no go" heap, well, it was a no go, lolol.

It's irrelevant to me as Sam will always be my All-Timer��

https://www.google.c...-tour-wins/amp/

Plus, at the end of the day, there is one number that counts...

Stay well my Friends��

RP

LOL, but they all try to work around that 18 with this argument or that argument - it's still 18 folks!

And who really cares if Tiger "has" the record? Snead's count is Snead's count, so pass it or don't pass it, but it's funny they couldn't wait hardly 12 hours to get into why Tiger "has" it.

Just be happy Tiger can play golf at a high level and enjoy it while it lasts and hope that he can continue without injury.

Ryder Cup should be fun. Hope Watson is on hand to call Phil's matches!

It is still 18, but it is also still weird to me to hear 18 as the number because when I was a kid in the late 80's the number was 20. In those days they counted Jack's 2 US AMS. If we went back to that standard it would be Jack-20, Tiger-17.

Works both ways. Tigers win this past week had 29 other players in it.

horrible rebuttal ... those 29 are the best players this year on the tour ...

Beating 29 is a lot easier than beating 100+ in a regular event.

Would you rather play vs. 5 prime Jack Nicklaus' or 100 average tour players?

Quality matters. Look at the OWGR strength of field rating. They rated this Tour Championship just higher than the Wells Fargo Championship.

Is it as strong as a major, that has quality and quantity? No.

But is it stronger than your average Tour event that does not have all of the top 30 players? Yes.

Quality matters. Look at the OWGR strength of field rating. They rated this Tour Championship just higher than the Wells Fargo Championship.

But is it stronger than your average Tour event that does not have all of the top 30 players? Yes.

I'd rather play the smaller field. The top 150 guys are all really damn good. I suggest you go look at Tiger's win percentage in regular Tour events with 120-140 players compared to his win percentage in WGC events with 75 players.

All valid points and Gary and I had a discussion about the numbers in his article and no matter how I tried to scrape, claw and grab a tourney out of the "no go" heap, well, it was a no go, lolol.

Stay well my Friends��

RP

LOL, but they all try to work around that 18 with this argument or that argument - it's still 18 folks!

And who really cares if Tiger "has" the record? Snead's count is Snead's count, so pass it or don't pass it, but it's funny they couldn't wait hardly 12 hours to get into why Tiger "has" it.

Just be happy Tiger can play golf at a high level and enjoy it while it lasts and hope that he can continue without injury.

It is still 18, but it is also still weird to me to hear 18 as the number because when I was a kid in the late 80's the number was 20. In those days they counted Jack's 2 US AMS. If we went back to that standard it would be Jack-20, Tiger-17.

And no problem with this standard at all - still think the U.S. Am should be in the count as a major, but professional majors became the number at some point.

The good news is that this thread will be totally irrelevant by this time next year when Tiger is at 83 or 84.

Does anyone actually think he won’t win multiple times next season?

Have to keep factoring in my sense that his health is always somewhat of a delicate balance that just don't think there is much in doing a lot of predicting.

If healthy, and always a big if, wouldn't surprise me a bit if he won 2-4 events, including a major.

The good news is that this thread will be totally irrelevant by this time next year when Tiger is at 83 or 84.

Have to keep factoring in my sense that his health is always somewhat of a delicate balance that just don't think there is much in doing a lot of predicting.

If healthy, and always a big if, wouldn't surprise me a bit if he won 2-4 events, including a major.

If the back stays healthy and if his people keep that miserable quack Foley away from him at all costs....the sky is the limit.

Pebble, Bethpage black, Augusta National, Royal portrush.

He may very well take more than one of them.

Let’s not forget that tiger has over 100 victories worldwide

Let’s not forget that tiger has over 100 victories worldwide

i believe so does Sam Snead...and Gary Player and Roberto diVicenzio for tht matter..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I'd rather play the smaller field. The top 150 guys are all really damn good. I suggest you go look at Tiger's win percentage in regular Tour events with 120-140 players compared to his win percentage in WGC events with 75 players.

So you really think that WGC fields are weaker? Literally everyone in the world of golf would disagree with you.

Brooks Koepka has a higher winning percentage in majors. Does that mean major fields are weaker?

There are so many other variables involved in whether Tiger wins or not. Strength of field is only one.

But, if he had just won the Puerto Rico Open or the John Deer Classic, you wouldn't be in here saying it was a weak field?

You said "the top 150 guys are all really damn good". Maybe you didn't know this, but the top 150 don't play in most "regular tour events".

At your average Tour event, there are only some of the top players.

That's why, despite there only being 30 players, the OWGR still rates the Tour Championship fairly highly. Because All (of this year's) best players are in attendance.

Stay well my Friends��

RP

The article is from 2013. Not just a 12 hour rush to judgement.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

So you really think that WGC fields are weaker? Literally everyone in the world of golf would disagree with you.

Brooks Koepka has a higher winning percentage in majors. Does that mean major fields are weaker?

There are so many other variables involved in whether Tiger wins or not. Strength of field is only one.

But, if he had just won the Puerto Rico Open or the John Deer Classic, you wouldn't be in here saying it was a weak field?

You said "the top 150 guys are all really damn good". Maybe you didn't know this, but the top 150 don't play in most "regular tour events".

That's why, despite there only being 30 players, the OWGR still rates the Tour Championship fairly highly. Because All (of this year's) best players are in attendance.

An average PGA Tour event will have about half of the guys who played in the Tour Championship.

So which is easier to beat: the other 15, or 125+ PGA Tour pros?

Note that there's a difference of about 1 stroke between #15 and #100 in PGA Tour scoring average.

Sure I do. I can see him have another similar season ( like this year) next year. Could he (as does he have the ability)? absolutely but will he? Ill be ecstatic if he proves me wrong.he showed he can contend in majors depending on conditions and setup now can he close one out? get in the lead like he did this week and hold it? Ill be rooting for him to try for sure but if he repeats this season next year its a success no question. Playing a full season healthy (short of a few advils) and winning once or none but contending 4-5 times would be awesome either way. lets see how he does and hope he helps the US bring the ryder cup back this week

OK, the top 300-500 are really damn good. The depth is pretty amazing in pro golf over the last 30 years. Think about how hard it is for guys to make it past the mini-tour level. Think about how good the Nationwide Tour is.

Stay well my Friends��

RP

IIRC MacGregor even came out with a special edition irons with the markings "20th" after Jack won the 86 Masters for his last major..

...and then the powers that be decided to count only the "professional" majors---so i guess Bobby Jones no longer has 13??

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

IIRC MacGregor even came out with a special edition irons with the markings "20th" after Jack won the 86 Masters for his last major..

...and then the powers that be decided to count only the "professional" majors---so i guess Bobby Jones no longer has 13??

I think the irons you're referring to are the Muirfield 20ths. Apparently, the "20th" refers to the 20th anniversary of his first Open Championship win in 1966 (and completion of his grand slam of major titles), which was at Muirfield. Quite a coincidence that he also won what was then counted as his 20th major in 1986.

I think the irons you're referring to are the Muirfield 20ths. Apparently, the "20th" refers to the 20th anniversary of his first Open Championship win in 1966 (and completion of his grand slam of major titles), which was at Muirfield. Quite a coincidence that he also won what was then counted as his 20th major in 1986.

thanks for the clarification...i should have remembered that cuz i got those irons then..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

thanks for the clarification...i should have remembered that cuz i got those irons then..

I re-watched the final few holes of that Mastera a while back. Ken Venturi, who is the lead analyst, says on 18, that Jack is about ready to win his 20th major. That was just accepted as a fact then that the US AM and the British AM were majors. It’s a stat Tiger fans should get behind. After all it would put him one closer to Jack.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

not counting the US and British Amateurs as majors is almost like an insult to Bobby Jones..

...shame on those that decided this!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Unless it’s a wgc event or a hard setup major, I don’t see him winning next year until the tour championship series. The birdie fest setups the tour normally produces don’t fit Tiger. Tiger just doesn’t make enough birdies to complete in those tournaments..too many players can drop a 62 on any given day. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the tour starts setting up courses with a bit more rough just so he has more of a chance in every tournament besides Masters.

Unless it’s a wgc event or a hard setup major, I don’t see him winning next year until the tour championship series. The birdie fest setups the tour normally produces don’t fit Tiger. Tiger just doesn’t make enough birdies to complete in those tournaments..too many players can drop a 62 on any given day. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the tour starts setting up courses with a bit more rough just so he has more of a chance in every tournament besides Masters.

Depends on his health. I have no doubt Tiger hasbthe mental toughness to win 5 times and pick up a major or two. I have always been skeptical whether or not his body would allow him to prepare, and then compete for 72 holes. It did last week, will it next year? The amount of wear and tear on his back is huge. To play at that level you have to put in a LOT of prep.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Depends on his health. I have no doubt Tiger has the mental toughness to win 5 times and pick up a major or two. I have always been skeptical whether or not his body would allow him to prepare, and then compete for 72 holes. It did last week, will it next year? The amount of wear and tear on his back is huge. To play at that level you have to put in a LOT of prep.

This right here. Mental toughness. Tiger has this back. We will now see if any current players have mental toughness. But my guess is that we will now see the rest of the tour choke and sputter when Tiger is playing because they lack mental toughness. Just like the other players did in the early 2000's and just like Rose and McIlroy did on Sunday.

Depends on his health. I have no doubt Tiger has the mental toughness to win 5 times and pick up a major or two. I have always been skeptical whether or not his body would allow him to prepare, and then compete for 72 holes. It did last week, will it next year? The amount of wear and tear on his back is huge. To play at that level you have to put in a LOT of prep.

This right here. Mental toughness. Tiger has this back. We will now see if any current players have mental toughness. But my guess is that we will now see the rest of the tour choke and sputter when Tiger is playing because they lack mental toughness. Just like the other players did in the early 2000's and just like Rose and McIlroy did on Sunday.

"Choked"? Pretty sure I saw Rose take away the biggest prize on Sunday.

Stay well my Friends��

RP

I thought that Jack was one of the powers that be, who decided only the pro majors would count, no?