Tiger -do your kids get it?

hangontight

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 18, and while I feel like I understand it pretty well, I still would've liked to have seen him play in the early 2000s. I got started in golf when I was 5 or 6, so I sort of knew that he was the big name guy, but I didn't quite understand why, except that he won a lot. I was really getting into playing more and taking more lessons around the Thanksgiving incident. That was kinda hard to watch, even though I didn't understand everything that went on. Since then I've really become an even bigger fan of him on the course I think. Just to watch him come back from everything, to play like he has been lately, has been really cool. And to see him be more friendly with media and fans has been great, as well as putting a bigger focus on his family. I'm not sure how people would think of him if he still acted the way he did before all the incidents. I can't say I agree with everything he's done, but it certainly seems like he has a greater appreciation for those around him and those that support him. I help teach younger juniors at my course, and I can tell that most of them don't understand Tiger that well. It's hard for me to imagine that.

13 and 15 year old golfers. Girl and boy. They could care less. They don't even care about Fowler and neither one could pick YJS or Lidia Ko out of a line up. Woods and Wie they would recognize, that's about it. They don't watch golf on TV. They do, however know and study intimate details about their regular opponents in their school matches.

To be fair, you kinda have to know who Jack and Sam are to really get the perspective and appreciate what he doing.

My boy is 6 and absolutely loves Tiger, he's really started getting into golf this year and I've told him about how great Tiger was/is and how his injuries may have meant he potentially wouldn't play again. We've watched a lot of YouTube clips and the champions series on Netflix. For me growing up Tiger was a huge reason I got into golf and why I love watching the sport. It's awesome to be able to share his comeback with him and hopefully Tiger will continue to inspire the next generation coming through. Also a great lesson that we all go through tough times in sport and it's important how we react and come back from times of trouble and adversity.

My 13 year old could care less about Tiger. I am not a Tiger fan, but appreciate what he did for the game. I watched the last 3 holes or so on Sunday because I understood the significance of what was going on. We played a practice round down south and didn't get home until around 4:30. My kid went to his room to play Fortnite because he really didn't care that Tiger was going to get a win. Had it been JT, DJ, Spieth, Jason Day, or Rory he would have probably watched. My wife had to pull him out of the room to see the commotion on the last hole with all of the fans. His comment was "Cool" then went back to his room.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Wet took the kids to the TPC this year and they got to witness things for themselves. Tiger was paired with Spieth and the crowds were insane. As soon as Tiger finished putting, the crowd would all leave Spieth behind and head for the next hole. My son was amazed at how everyone just left and I pointed out that this is how big Tiger Woods is. Up until this point, Spieth was the biggest draw out there and people were just leaving him like he was a nobody. That really put things into perspective for my kids.

My 11 yr old is a big Tiger fan.. was quite pumped to see him win, has watched all his old famous shot on Youtube. Similar to Kekoa, he was more concerned about Tiger's score on Sunday than his tourney. On the drive back, he streamed the holes and was ecstatic with win #80.

Truth be told, I think he loves every golfer but do not know why he is that obsessed with Tiger.

I had to wake my 11 yo up to watch the first tee shot on SUN, as he was tired from his tourney on SAT. I didn’t want him to miss history being made. He understood the significance of the event and what Tiger’s return to excellence means for golf, and more importantly, the life lesson of never giving up (probably tired of me repeating it?.

Fortunately, he’s a student of the game and enjoys reading and learning about the history of golf.

His swing coach is a past Major champ, so, we get to hear some great stories. He’s seen all the Tiger, Jack, AP, old videos and biographies on GC. He even has a replica shadowbox of Tiger’s 1997 Master Cobra driver/records set on that day, on his wall, next to his own trophies?.

After the first couple holes my kid turned on his iPad, put on his headphones, and tuned out. I had to keep reminding him to watch; because he has never seen Tiger win, live! He was surprised that all the young guns, the only players that he has really known in his lifetime, were beaten so handily.

When he finally looked up from the iPad and saw the gallery swarm on 18, he experienced (in his lifetime) what I had been talking about. Awesome event to share with my boy!

We played on Sunday with a father and his 8 year old son. As we were waiting on a tee, I asked who was his favorite golfer. As he was dressed in Puma with Cobra clubs he of course said Ricky. I asked him what he thought of Tiger and he said he liked him but he never saw him win like Ricky. Kind of an irony in there.

My kid is 13 and rarely watches televised golf with me. With Tiger in contention recently, he's been very interested. He discovered Tiger highlights on youtube on his own and would ask me all about him. Seems to understand the significance of this win. Was pretty cool watching Tiger win with him next to me on the couch. "Dad, is that a tear in your eye?!?!"

Wet took the kids to the TPC this year and they got to witness things for themselves. Tiger was paired with Spieth and the crowds were insane. As soon as Tiger finished putting, the crowd would all leave Spieth behind and head for the next hole. My son was amazed at how everyone just left and I pointed out that this is how big Tiger Woods is. Up until this point, Spieth was the biggest draw out there and people were just leaving him like he was a nobody. That really put things into perspective for my kids.

Took my kid to the Honda. Went to watch Tiger and he said "This is boring. Let's go watch JT."

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My kid could care less. He thinks Jack is the GOAT and AP was the coolest golfer to play the game.

I agree.

My kid knows who Jack and Arnie are through me. However, he knows exactly who Tiger is and knows what he's done for golf. There are only a few guys that have legendary status in our game. My son knows Tiger is one of them. But he likes Jordan Spieth as well. LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm 43 ... I don't get it.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

My kid could care less. He thinks Jack is the GOAT and AP was the coolest golfer to play the game.

I agree.

My kid knows who Jack and Arnie are through me. However, he knows exactly who Tiger is and knows what he's done for golf. There are only a few guys that have legendary status in our game. My son knows Tiger is one of them. But he likes Jordan Spieth as well. LOL

We are the opposite. He discovered Jack and Arnie on his own by reading about golf at 6-7, and from his coach. My screen name on some other platforms is Pingman1997, (most GolWRX'rs should know what this means,) if that tells you anything about who I followed as a kid. Even with me talking about Tiger the past 5 + years he just never saw it. Even this weekend, he didn't see it, and could care less. I enjoyed it though.

My 8 year old son was at the Tour Championship, on Sunday, 15 yards away from Tiger when he hit the bunker shot on 8. He completely understands. His comments and insight on seeing him play have been really impressive to me. I was sadly not with him as he was with his junior golf group. He was excited to see his favorite players Justin Thomas and Bryson DeChambeau but he recognized that seeing Tiger Woods play, and specifically on that day, was something very important and special.