Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

With shoes on, I'm 6'3", 39" WTF and 62-62.5" shoulder to floor. My current set was fit to me at +0.5" and 4* up. Anything below 6 iron my common miss is on the toe and often thin. Even my solid shots favor the toe side some. This winter I'm thinking about building some Maltby irons and wedges to experiment with much longer lengths and try to maintain std lie angles. Only thing that worries me is shaft flex. If I hardstep X100's once or maybe even twice I would probably be ok.

I am basically the same setup as you are. Am curious as to how your new build went for you?
  • Like 1

With shoes on, I'm 6'3", 39" WTF and 62-62.5" shoulder to floor. My current set was fit to me at +0.5" and 4* up. Anything below 6 iron my common miss is on the toe and often thin. Even my solid shots favor the toe side some. This winter I'm thinking about building some Maltby irons and wedges to experiment with much longer lengths and try to maintain std lie angles. Only thing that worries me is shaft flex. If I hardstep X100's once or maybe even twice I would probably be ok.

I am basically the same setup as you are. Am curious as to how your new build went for you?

It wasn’t a good fit. The heads were too high launching and the overall club weights felt too heavy. I tried my current irons at 3° up and my wedges at 2° for a couple of months last summer. My game continued to get worse and my handicap went up 2 strokes. I now play my same irons and wedges from 1° up in wedges and short irons and 1.5° up in the rest. Dropped my handicap 3 strokes after doing that and it continued to trend downward. If I were to get fit right now I’d guess I’d end up 1/2-3/4” Long and 1-2° up.

The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.

Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.

What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.

Actually I have a fully operational and mathematically generated chart that shows the proportions for shoulder height and arm length that used the direct measurements provided from the anthropometric charts. I am extremely reluctant to post it due to the last fiasco in the other thread.

I stuck with 1/2" increments because that is what the fitting gave me. I didn't dictate the fitting, the fitting dictated what would work!

If you do a search you will find I have done everything 1/8" to 1/2" increments. Played 3/8" for the last 6 years or so.

Here is a link where I went from single length to 1/8"

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry14210900

Why did neither work as well as what I have now? because the shorter clubs were still too short, I was still having to bend over too much, slump my shoulders, bend too much at the waist, etc etc etc. Hell the 1/8" literally just jammed all the clubs up to something that was still too short but this made them more playable. Still not right just more playable.

Currently using Cleveland CG16 T Spec heads and i95 Steelfibers. I also have jumbo grips on all clubs as I have pretty large hands, actually they are oversized to average for my height. The 4 iron is great! Long and straight, and unfortunately your comment of 'I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is' is exactly reason us tall people have been having so many issues being fit properly. It's a preconceived idea. How about since are we taller we need longer clubs. This will make it easier to return the clubhead in its proper orientation!

Ordered another set of Steelfibers yesterday to put in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Shafts should be here Thursday but I'm headed out of town Friday morning so it may not be until next week before they are built.

I was in Pinehurst last week for a member guest. Used the clubs built a week earlier. Played courses 9, 7 & 2 and I led the field in eagles and birdies over the 3 rounds, 2 and 11 respectively. If I could have putted even just a bit better, could have easily doubled the birdie count. Also played two practice rounds on 9 & 7 and the clubs were phenomenal.

Sounds like you have found your setup! I am 6'3" wtf 38.75" my current Ping G30 irons are Maroon Dot, plus 1/2". I am thinking that after finding my low and high point and making the adjustments that my clubs will need to be bent flatter, correct? Also, I am interested in what happened to your distances for each iron after you lengthened them? Since the weight and swingweight changed from club to club, is your distance gapping still the same as it was before? I guess what I am asking in a nutshell is "After I make this change, what am I going to notice, other than being comfortable!"

The short answer is I noticed NO changes in my gapping!

The longer answer since this post is over a year old is I played a single length set for 6 months then moved on to single length heads with a 1/8” increment set 37.25” - 38.25”, (LW - 5 iron). I am loving this 1/8” set! Could probably be a bit longer but I am averaging close to 13 greens a round over the last three months, so they are working! Just won my club championship two days ago by 21 shots in horrendous conditions. We had it all, high winds (25+ mph) with ultra low humidity, steady rains for 9 holes on day two and greens that stimped a legitimate 14 before the winds & humidity dropped, they got way faster. 3 brutal days!

• Like 1

The proportions of arm length, leg length torso length are distributed around the averages that you showed in the charts. I don't think you really used those charts, except to support your idea that longer clubs would be better. The only problem I see is that you are looking at a small percentage of golfers. So small that equipment that supports extra long length clubs is hard to come by.

Looking at your long club experiment you stick with the .5" increments in length. I've seen Wishon and others move towards a smaller increment for taller golfers, I suppose to stay within the available equipment. I would think that the single length irons might be most appropriate for golfers that need longer clubs since the low lofted irons would remain at more manageable lengths.

What shafts and heads did you use in your experiment? What kind of swing weight or moi did you see? How did the 4 iron play? I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is.

Actually I have a fully operational and mathematically generated chart that shows the proportions for shoulder height and arm length that used the direct measurements provided from the anthropometric charts. I am extremely reluctant to post it due to the last fiasco in the other thread.

I stuck with 1/2" increments because that is what the fitting gave me. I didn't dictate the fitting, the fitting dictated what would work!

If you do a search you will find I have done everything 1/8" to 1/2" increments. Played 3/8" for the last 6 years or so.

Here is a link where I went from single length to 1/8"

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry14210900

Why did neither work as well as what I have now? because the shorter clubs were still too short, I was still having to bend over too much, slump my shoulders, bend too much at the waist, etc etc etc. Hell the 1/8" literally just jammed all the clubs up to something that was still too short but this made them more playable. Still not right just more playable.

Currently using Cleveland CG16 T Spec heads and i95 Steelfibers. I also have jumbo grips on all clubs as I have pretty large hands, actually they are oversized to average for my height. The 4 iron is great! Long and straight, and unfortunately your comment of 'I would think that the total radius (arms + club) of the arc would limit accuracy the longer it is' is exactly reason us tall people have been having so many issues being fit properly. It's a preconceived idea. How about since are we taller we need longer clubs. This will make it easier to return the clubhead in its proper orientation!

Ordered another set of Steelfibers yesterday to put in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's. Shafts should be here Thursday but I'm headed out of town Friday morning so it may not be until next week before they are built.

I was in Pinehurst last week for a member guest. Used the clubs built a week earlier. Played courses 9, 7 & 2 and I led the field in eagles and birdies over the 3 rounds, 2 and 11 respectively. If I could have putted even just a bit better, could have easily doubled the birdie count. Also played two practice rounds on 9 & 7 and the clubs were phenomenal.

Sounds like you have found your setup! I am 6'3" wtf 38.75" my current Ping G30 irons are Maroon Dot, plus 1/2". I am thinking that after finding my low and high point and making the adjustments that my clubs will need to be bent flatter, correct? Also, I am interested in what happened to your distances for each iron after you lengthened them? Since the weight and swingweight changed from club to club, is your distance gapping still the same as it was before? I guess what I am asking in a nutshell is "After I make this change, what am I going to notice, other than being comfortable!"

The short answer is I noticed NO changes in my gapping!

The longer answer since this post is over a year old is I played a single length set for 6 months then moved on to single length heads with a 1/8" increment set 37.25" - 38.25", (LW - 5 iron). I am loving this 1/8" set! Could probably be a bit longer but I am averaging close to 13 greens a round over the last three months, so they are working! Just won my club championship two days ago by 21 shots in horrendous conditions. We had it all, high winds (25+ mph) with ultra low humidity, steady rains for 9 holes on day two and greens that stimped a legitimate 14 before the winds & humidity dropped, they got way faster. 3 brutal days!

Quite an impressive win!! From your experience, will this be a good move for me to lengthen? Or would you recommend going with SL in order to get a better setup? I'm assuming that the main issue with this is using conventional irons is the heavy swingweight , correct?

The issue is definitely weight, and using single length heads at least in the short irons and wedges allows clubs to be built longer and still have a normal feel.

I would definitely recommend using single length heads. And they do not have to be built to the same length. 1/8” or 1/4” is easy build. May even want standard heads in the long irons. Tip weights are needed but easy enough to work with to get what you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some great insight by Mike Taylor of Artisan Golf while he's fitting a taller golfer. Not sure this particular golfer is even all that tall, but Mike's commentary and explanation of the problems encountered by taller golfers is spot on!

1:39-3:15

8:30-9:52

http://www.golfwrx.com/518220/heres-what-its-like-to-get-a-wedge-fitting-with-mike-taylor-at-artisan-golf/

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is full of great info, thanks Rybo. I finally got around to going from 1.25” up to 2”over, and 2 degrees upright which is my norm. Will tweak as I go, but ball striking is much better, without a doubt. Ordered set to above specs from Callaway, Apex irons with Recoil 95/110 graphite shafts. Two days ago took a single plane lesson from one of Kirk Junges certified instructors here in NC. Along with longer clubs, I hit more solid shots than I can recall. Eager to see where this path leads. Thanks for making me rethink club fit.

• 1 month later...

I’ve started another fitting process with a professional club builder and a completely open mind. I told him my goals are to be more comfortable over my short irons, hit the ball more consistently with a better path and to not get heavier than D6. He had me open my palms at a 45° angle and with golf shoes on my WTF was 40” this way. He also thinks my hands are just big enough for midsize grips, which I’ve never played. My initial fitting was mainly getting these measurements, hitting my 6 iron on Flightscope for some base numbers, then I hit some various steel shafts at std length just to see what profiles I liked. His initial thoughts are a very stiff graphite shaft in the 110g and lower weight class is needed with a 5 or 6 iron @ +3/4” and 4/10” increments. Next fitting I’ll try steelfibers and KBS’s graphite shaft at the proposed specs and go from there.

OP had gone to "charts" and preconceived notions through the self fitting.

Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.

Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.

I’ve started another fitting process with a professional club builder and a completely open mind. I told him my goals are to be more comfortable over my short irons, hit the ball more consistently with a better path and to not get heavier than D6. He had me open my palms at a 45° angle and with golf shoes on my WTF was 40” this way. He also thinks my hands are just big enough for midsize grips, which I’ve never played. My initial fitting was mainly getting these measurements, hitting my 6 iron on Flightscope for some base numbers, then I hit some various steel shafts at std length just to see what profiles I liked. His initial thoughts are a very stiff graphite shaft in the 110g and lower weight class is needed with a 5 or 6 iron @ +3/4” and 4/10” increments. Next fitting I’ll try steelfibers and KBS’s graphite shaft at the proposed specs and go from there.

The Steelfiber 110s are perfect for overlength builds. They swingweight a couple points lower than most shafts.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Charts and preconceived notion are not bad as a starting point. If you have the resources for the trial and error method.

As for those golfers outside of the "standard" physical size, should first find the correct posture for their golf swing. Meaning, find which posture will not inhibit the golf swing motion without adding additional stress from the repeated movement.

A taller than standard golfer will naturally use a more up right swing path and the shorter than standard golfer would naturally benefit from a flatter swing path.

If a golfer started his golf swing with the wrong posture, then everything fitted to that posture will never be the best the golfer could get out of this game.

Modern day CAD should easily determine the correct range of possible posture for a motion like golf swing. I'm just surprised that no one had come up with a system based on the CAD for starting point.

The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)

CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.

The only reason a taller golfer has a more upright swing path and a shorter golfer has a flatter swing path is club length. Provide the tall, short and average height golfer a proper length club for their body proportions and they can all swing on the same plane. (not saying there is a single best swing plane to be on, only that club length dictates swing plane to a large degree)

CAD has been and is used extensively in the study of Anthropometrics and Ergonomics. The only place I have found that seems to have a great understanding of fitting clubs to the golfer is http://jeffmont.com/fitting/concept/ . I have never ordered or even spoken to them, however the information on their site shows they have a deeper understanding of fitting.

Don't you think the height of the player and the reach from their shoulders would have even more profound impact on the swing plane ?

shaft length definitely has influence on the swing plane but, we all know that the length of the shaft has an optimal zone for each golfer according to their physical make up and their natural motion of a golf swing ?

Not everyone could copy Ben Hogan's golf swing just like not everyone could copy Justin Rose;s. Unless one compensate with manipulation of posture, which probably will result in premature injury..

Yes, I know of these guys from Redbird, they are not that far away from my place and been knowing their business for awhile. Yes, they do know the "fitting" , matter of the fact they were one of the first true fitting in town, an icon for the golf fitting business. Many of the golfers from other professional sports had them built custom golf clubs in the past when no one was doing what they did. Names like Michael Jordan , Bill Russell, and many from the baseball league all got their custom fitted golf clubs there. Kind of different when the golf industry was taking off in the late 80's into the 90's they refused to expend. Looking back, sure they had missed some opportunity to go big like Adams Golf but I don't think they'll miss it because they are smaller and easier to control their own destiny.

Don't you think the height of the player and the reach from their shoulders would have even more profound impact on the swing plane ?

shaft length definitely has influence on the swing plane but, we all know that the length of the shaft has an optimal zone for each golfer according to their physical make up and their natural motion of a golf swing ?

Not everyone could copy Ben Hogan's golf swing just like not everyone could copy Justin Rose;s. Unless one compensate with manipulation of posture, which probably will result in premature injury..

Yes, I know of these guys from Redbird, they are not that far away from my place and been knowing their business for awhile. Yes, they do know the "fitting" , matter of the fact they were one of the first true fitting in town, an icon for the golf fitting business. Many of the golfers from other professional sports had them built custom golf clubs in the past when no one was doing what they did. Names like Michael Jordan , Bill Russell, and many from the baseball league all got their custom fitted golf clubs there. Kind of different when the golf industry was taking off in the late 80's into the 90's they refused to expend. Looking back, sure they had missed some opportunity to go big like Adams Golf but I don't think they'll miss it because they are smaller and easier to control their own destiny.

I think we are in agreement for swing plane. Please go look at posts #9, 11 & 29 on page 1 of this topic. All speak directly to shoulder height, overall height and the relation they have to proper club length. I stand by my comment that either the tall or short golfer with a PROPERLY fit club length can swing on the same plane.

My next time in Seattle I will surely be stopping in to Redbird as I am very intrigued by them.

I think we are in agreement for swing plane. Please go look at posts #9, 11 & 29 on page 1 of this topic. All speak directly to shoulder height, overall height and the relation they have to proper club length. I stand by my comment that either the tall or short golfer with a PROPERLY fit club length can swing on the same plane.

My next time in Seattle I will surely be stopping in to Redbird as I am very intrigued by them.

Okay, you can believe what you want , I had seen different sizes of golfers with proper posture will not have the same swing plane. It can only happen when something is compromised.

You won't be disappointed visiting the Redbird shop, but make appointment for your visit before you pop in the shop. I was told the owner , partner might like to go golfing in the afternoon in the Summer time, so you might not meet up with them.

Jefferson Park is an old municipal golf course right down the street ( where the young Freddy Couples used hung out ), A couple of holes in the back nine had been torn up , shortened because of the Owners of the houses outside the fence across the street complained to the City of errant golf shots invading their property. Hey, the golf course was built before any of those houses came about. We just have a bunch of idiots sitting on the City Council seats, who caused a whole lot of chaos in recent years. Be interesting to see the results for the next election.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the guys who went with 3/8" increments (or even 4/10" as my builder has suggested), did you do these increments clear down to your LW? Or did you do the traditional 1/4" from 9-PW and so on?

I think minimal increments through the wedges works nicely, like 0.25" from 9-PW, then UW/GW same length, then maybe another 0.25" for sand and lob wedge, but at the top end of the bag, go ahead and go up to 0.625" increments (common in many sets now anyway) in the long irons to maximize distance for the longest 2 irons.

For the guys who went with 3/8" increments (or even 4/10" as my builder has suggested), did you do these increments clear down to your LW? Or did you do the traditional 1/4" from 9-PW and so on?

I think minimal increments through the wedges works nicely, like 0.25" from 9-PW, then UW/GW same length, then maybe another 0.25" for sand and lob wedge, but at the top end of the bag, go ahead and go up to 0.625" increments (common in many sets now anyway) in the long irons to maximize distance for the longest 2 irons.

The only thing that matters is ensuring you have enough club length in the wedges to maintain a good posture and swing plane (one that is not too upright). Whatever the length increment used for each club after that is fine. All wedges the same, 1/8", 1/4" will all work. The increment you choose will directly manifest itself in the long irons. The bigger the increment, the longer the long irons will become.

And I think this is where manufactures have struggled making clubs longer. If they make wedges and short irons long enough for tall individuals, they then default/adhere to the 1/2" spacing and the long irons become too long. 1/2" and 3/8" spacing to me no longer makes sense as both produce a total length change from shortest club to longest club that is too great. 1/4", 3/16" and 1/8" spacing are plenty between clubs and allow for long enough wedges and short irons while keeping the length of the long irons from getting too long.

I'm going to update my findings over the last 3 years here

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1278884-lower-caps-taller-players/

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.

Not sure, He's playing DG X100's at +1.75" , they have to be swingweighting pretty high even using the lightest weights in the heads.

Found a video of him going over his clubs.

I'm playing DG X100's at +1.75" with Cushin inserts and have D6-D7 with those lengths. D8 in my 9 iron that is +2". Ping G30's.

That's pretty extreme, even for 6'9". I bet they go lie angle instead of length because of swingweight.

Not sure, He's playing DG X100's at +1.75" , they have to be swingweighting pretty high even using the lightest weights in the heads.

Found a video of him going over his clubs.

I'm playing DG X100's at +1.75" with Cushin inserts and have D6-D7 with those lengths. D8 in my 9 iron that is +2". Ping G30's.

I've done the counterbalance thing and it just isnt the same as a properly swing weighted long club. I had some custom heads made to D5 at +2" and couldn't be happier.