2019 PGA 'Ship at Bethpage

smashdn

I remember many a Players Championship being pretty nippy in March as well. Didn't they just change the grass over to one of the new bermuda strains? Wonder if they'll change back....

They went back to Tifeagle a few years ago. It’ll be perfectly fine. They’ll likely oversees though so it won’t be Bermuda rough which won’t make it play as tugh

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same crap with the Players championship.

They just won't open in the beginning of the year. By mid June the course will be open to the public

As has been discussed in the past this May date could be a huge problem for any northern venues--- rare, but it does happen, that we get snow in May. Wet and cool (cold) is a very common occurrence.

I was playing a member-guest outside of Buffalo in early June on a miserable day, and there were snowflakes coming down. Oak Hill (Rochester) could be awful.

As a matter of fact, once the PGA tries Oak Hill in May, they might decide that they will never hold another championship in the Northeast.

The Rochester region had a 10" snow storm 29 years ago in early/mid May. Yes often May is nice, but things are generally still damp and the growing season is just starting. I'm concerned that this could make Oak Hill look less than stellar than its summer beauty truly offers.

Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;

Bethpage

Harding Park

Kiawah

Trump National

Oak Hill

3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.

I wish I had the time and ability to see the next five years worth of [mens] US Opens and PGA Championships put on a map just to see where they are not going for golf. I feel like the Northwest and center of the country are under represented.

2019 - Pebble Beach (CA)

2020 - Winged Foot (NY)

2021 - Torrey Pines (CA)

2022 - The Country Club (MA)

2023 - LACC (CA)

2024 - Pinehurst (NC)

Southern Hills?

Whistling Straights?

Erin Hills for a PGA?

The Midwest definitely gets little love, and I believe this years PGA shows we deserve a little more.

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

Bethpage - overrated.

PGA in May - more viewership, more tour cash

At Bethpage they will also get more spectators in attendance, resulting in greater merchandise and concession sales.

So in the PGAs view it is quite possibly the best venue they could hold the tournament at.

Also sponsorship money thru hospitality tents and so on. People forget or truly have no idea how much money is in the ny metro area. Also, Bethpage gets its high attendance because of how easy it is to access by rail. It’s a cash cow all around for the pga like you said that no other venue could possibly produce.

Bethpage - overrated.

PGA in May - more viewership, more tour cash

At Bethpage they will also get more spectators in attendance, resulting in greater merchandise and concession sales.

So in the PGAs view it is quite possibly the best venue they could hold the tournament at.

Also sponsorship money thru hospitality tents and so on. People forget or truly have no idea how much money is in the ny metro area. Also, Bethpage gets its high attendance because of how easy it is to access by rail. It’s a cash cow all around for the pga like you said that no other venue could possibly produce.

Of course wet, cold, muddy is always a possibility in May which will put a serious dent in the money. Also the growing season has barely started. This will eventually kill the PGA for Northern venues.

I don't think Bethpage and its crew will have any issues getting it ready. With all of the rain we had here in the past month, the Black was well drained on Friday. Don't see why that wouldn't be the case in May with the grounds crew working on it every day.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• 1 month later...

Would not be surprised if there is snowfall lol. Ohio is not far at all and i can recall springs where it was 60-70 for a few days followed by 3-5 inchs of snow by the weekend......just sayin

Just eyeballing the map, Stuebenville, OH is about as close as to NYC as any other city in OH and you are looking at an 8 hour 22 drive from Stuebenville, OH to Farmingdale, NY. "Not far at all" is a bit of a stretch unless you are comparing it to the distance from Ohio to California.

NYC has much milder winters than Ohio and the rest of New York State. Trace amounts of snow have happened on Long Island in May twice -- May 7, 1991 and May 30, 1994. Even if trace amounts of snow occur, it would probably just amount to a short delay.

Oak Hill in 2023 is going to be interesting. Rochester, NY weather is a total crapshoot in May, but most golf courses in the area are open in early May. I have a cousin-in-law that works at a private course in Rochester who has talked to some of the people at Oak Hill. They aren't really concerned about the course itself being playable (although the trees might not fully have their leaves by then), but they are concerned about all the other stuff like grandstands and tents. That work is typically started a few months in advance, but there is a threat of significant snow pretty much through April. May snow isn't unheard of, either, but not nearly as likely. I don't think they have announced the dates for that, but I'm going to guess they are going to put it as late in May as possible.

But as someone alluded to earlier, the move of the PGA Championship to May is likely going to kill the possibility of northern venues hosting a PGA Championship in the future.

Sticky is the word I want to use to describe it. I think it will be sticky. Heavy rough and soft conditions. Not that soft conditions can't be hard to play in or produce good golf but soft greens are not my preference for watching the pros play on.

I live in the southern half of the transition zone for grasses. We have winter kill bermuda in the fairways pretty regular the last five years. Is winter kill not an issue with bent and bent/poa or fescue up north?

Well, weather in the US Northeast is notoriously fickle. Most of the grass up here is pretty hardy, and can withstand most winters. But rapid freezing or heavy snow cover followed by melt flooding can definitely kill it.

NYC averages 18 days a year with a high temp below freezing. It probably has two or three times that many that drop below freezing at some point in the night. NYC averages 25 inches of snow per year.

My personal feeling is that climate change has led to freezing temperatures starting later in the year, but also to higher snowfall. Could be a short-term trend, but that's what my lifetime in MA, NY, and CT tells me.

If it's 18 freezing days, a few dozen freezing nights, and two feet of snow... the grass will survive in most spots (could be trouble in areas that drain poorly or are shaded even when the leaves are down).

If it's 30 freezing days, 60 freezing nights, and, as has been common of late, 30+ inches of snow fall, including blizzards that leave coverage for weeks on end, that could be trouble. As I say, I haven't noticed much change in overall temperature, but I swear winter is starting and lasting later, and there's definitely something weird going on with heavier snowfall:

https://www.cnn.com/...snow/index.html

EDIT: I should mention that, to my understanding, the grass goes dormant. But it can be crushed by heavy snow, and the roots can be washed out or forced out of the ground by frozen ground swelling. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding of the "kill-mechanisms" for grasses in the Northeast.

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

• 2 months later...
I don't think Bethpage and its crew will have any issues getting it ready. With all of the rain we had here in the past month, the Black was well drained on Friday. Don't see why that wouldn't be the case in May with the grounds crew working on it every day.

No NYS worker will be working on the Black to prepare it for the PGA. Those workers could barely tie their shoe let alone work a mower

No NYS worker will be working on the Black to prepare it for the PGA. Those workers could barely tie their shoe let alone work a mower

You’d be surprised how many minimum wage employees work Tour events especially on the grounds crews. Although you’re correct they do bring in a ton of outside qualified help. They poach a lot of interns, these interns are rising stars in the industry. There will also be volunteers from future tournament sites on hand to witness actual prep before during and after the event. But for the most people doing the heavy lifting (actually mowing, cutting cups, etc) are the actual course/club employees. Because I trust my employees they may have to change their routines a little bit, but I expect the best from them. A volunteer, even if he came from Augusta, I’d be on edge sending him out to mow greens on our men’s day let alone a major championship.

At the event setups I have been a part of, guys put their egos aside and do whatever is necessary to ensure a successful event. Guys holding a hose at a US Open (holding it off the surface of the green not doing the actual spraying) could be a super at big name future major championship site.

Funny story at the API one year a big name central Florida courses super was raking bunkers...that’s what was needed that morning so it was assigned to him and it got done expertly.

Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same crap with the Players championship.

The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March

Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.

Greg

+1. This schedule sets up so much better to spread out the major events. Hosting the PGA in May will also give a lot more areas of the country a shot at hosting it. I think this schedule will also help the US in the Ryder Cup as well.

It could be a mess to have it at Bethpage next year but moving forward they'll open up a lot of options that just wouldn't work in mid August.

• 1 month later...