Contemplating change to driving/utility iron

clp34vmp

The last few months I've been going through some issues with my hybrids. I carry a couple of older model Pings (i15) as replacements for my #3 and #4 irons, and for a long while they were among my favorite clubs in the bag. Lately though I've been feeling like I'm just too wild with them (especially the 23 degree.) When I hit them well they're fantastic, but of late too many wild shots have entered the mix. My dispersion over a bunch of shots is just terrible, and a snap hook has now entered the mix. I'm just no longer confident or comfortable when I've got a hybrid in my hands.

All of that has got me thinking about trying a driving/utility iron. I've never hit one before, but my hope would be that I could fill the gap between my #3 wood and #5 iron with something that was still forgiving both off the tee and the deck but would give me better control and tighter dispersion than what I've been getting with my hybrids lately. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has made the switch to one of these utility irons from a hybrid because of similar issues?

I went to the pro shop at my club with the hope of demo'ing a model but they didn't have any, so I was thinking of just going ahead and buying a used one (probably something to replace the #4/23 degree first) and seeing how that goes. The models I was looking at are the Ping G400 or the Srixon u65. One final question I had for anyone with a lot of experience with these crossovers would be how would it play differently from just a regular max game improvement iron like say a G700 #4 iron? Irons in that class are certainly designed to be forgiving and to provide a straight ball flight with good loft and distance which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Would appreciate any guidance on this possible change; I'm feeling like it's a shot in the dark never having even hit a crossover but I also feel like a change is needed.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At risk of telling you a bunch of stuff you already know - a true driving irons is meant to be used off the tee in windy conditions, or on tight holes with narrow fairways. They launch very low, get on the ground quickly and roll a mile. An actual long iron can be used for approach shots, and should be a club that you can actually expect to hit high enough to land on the green and stay on. Not necessarily stop dead or spin back, but you want it to stay on the green. That's why hybrids are such a big deal for mere mortals that make up 90% of the golf world who can't generate the kind of speed needed to flight a 3 iron high enough to be of much use. I use hybrids because I find it's far easier to flight the ball down with a hybrid than it is to moon launch a 3 iron.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

I have a cobra king utility 4 iron that’s seen maybe 10 balls I’d like to get rid of cheap. I tried but went back to the hybrid quickly. Just more versatile for me.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

I carry a U45 18* set to 17* with a Recoil 110 shaft, it kicked out my 3 and 5 wood, so I had to get a strong 3 wood. Use it off the tee, deck and even off the greens with a putting stroke.

I also have the 20* version bent to 21* to match my MP18 3 iron blade for the odd swap (when conditions get soft or wet). I haven’t had a snap hook in forever. Same iron swing, easy results.

I would recommend looking at the Srixon U85, the lofts will be a direct swap to your irons of choice as they go from a 2 to 6 iron.

Another thing, find the right shaft. Go steel to match your iron set if you want to retain consistent yardage gapping. If you choose graphite, I would recommend at least a 95 gram weighted shaft if you just want to kill the ball like I do.

I originally played steel shafts in my utility long irons to match my set but recently switched over to graphite for the slight advantages.

I have a Srixon 18 degree that is amazing off the tee, not so good off the turf. I got the 23 degree to replace a hybrid, but it didn’t work out. It hit low bullets that landed on the green and bounced off the back. Back to a hybrid for now.

I do know the feeling of the hybrid getting loose. I think I’m going to look for some kind of super game improvement long iron next. I think the square face of the iron fits me better than the bulge of a hybrid/wood.

I am about to try this again myself. I experimented with the U45 once before, 20*, and hit some great shots from the tee and deck, but it was pretty inconsistent, so I moved back to a hybrid. I am going to try it again for reasons similar to yours that I tend to hit irons straighter than the hybrids. The iron can be more predictable for me even on a miss. We will see... Its a nice option to have off the tee for sure but if it's no good off the deck, I will just go back to the hybrid.

One of my main concerns is having the swing speed to really take advantage of this thing off the deck.... not sure I have the power..LOL

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

If you can strike your 4 iron, you can definitely stretch it out to your 3 iron utility.

Everybody has a threshold, the 2 iron is my breaking point so it’s either a 5 wood or 2 iron utility.

Honestly, it’s the same long iron technique not power and the right shaft (well available) or get the matching steel iron shaft to your set.

I couldn’t stand the 7, 5 wood and even hybrid because of the ball position, high launch conditions, different swing so forth albeit I can hit them all. If anybody tells you that the swing is the same for every club, just walk away.

I have taken lessons in the last two years so it’s fresh in my head.

I am about to try this again myself. I experimented with the U45 once before, 20*, and hit some great shots from the tee and deck, but it was pretty inconsistent, so I moved back to a hybrid. I am going to try it again for reasons similar to yours that I tend to hit irons straighter than the hybrids. The iron can be more predictable for me even on a miss. We will see... Its a nice option to have off the tee for sure but if it's no good off the deck, I will just go back to the hybrid.

One of my main concerns is having the swing speed to really take advantage of this thing off the deck.... not sure I have the power..LOL

U65 20° is a true utility iron for me. Great off the tee, and I can hit it like a long iron into the green, or hit stingers that will run a long way.

I hit a lot of different driving irons and utility irons. The TM Udi was amazing off the tee. And the Mizuno Fli-hi was a great long iron. But the Srixon U65 was the most versatile for me and provided great results from the tee and off the deck.

I switched my hybrid out for the Callaway Apex UT and found it to be one of the easiest driving irons to hit from deck/tee and is still fairly forgiving. You can get it in a 24* as well.

Taylormade Sim 9* -- Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 60TX

Taylormade M5 14* 3 Wood -- Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 21* Hybrid -- Mitsubishi Pro Blue 80TX

Ping Blueprint 4-PW -- KBS C-Taper 130X

Taylormade MG2 52*/56*/60* -- KBS C-Taper 120S

Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport

As another sub 10capper who has questioned their need for a hybrid at times, I will suggest that you only look to replace long irons with the driving Iron. For me, the hybrids are just too forgiving, That miss you have with the hybrid will be multiplied ten fold by an iron. The drop off in ball speed and accuracy for mishits on hybrids is not nearly as much as a with the iron. I did however fit a driving iron in the bag. Instead of taking out the hybrid, It replaced my 4/5 irons with a 23* DI. Much easier to hit than the standard iron. I will say I do have a 20* driving iron that I experiment with, but if I'm not striking the ball out of the center 90% of the time, the hybrid goes back in the bag.

If you can strike your 4 iron, you can definitely stretch it out to your 3 iron utility.

Everybody has a threshold, the 2 iron is my breaking point so it's either a 5 wood or 2 iron utility.

Honestly, it's the same long iron technique not power and the right shaft (well available) or get the matching steel iron shaft to your set.

I couldn't stand the 7, 5 wood and even hybrid because of the ball position, high launch conditions, different swing so forth albeit I can hit them all. If anybody tells you that the swing is the same for every club, just walk away.

I have taken lessons in the last two years so it's fresh in my head.

Yeah, I have been playing the set 3 irons to both my iron sets (Z745, 716cb) and have been fine with them. My buddy has a Honma 3 utility and hits it nice and high into greens on the longer holes... I guess I am kind of hoping to get similar results this time around. The 716 cb 3i flies high, but the 745 does not. Maybe the stronger lofts, but the 745 is better for low wind piercing shots. Should have the u45 20* tmw with a Matrix black tie. Will report back after my round friday.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Switched out a hybrid for ping i500 3 iron to fill gap between 4 iron and 3 wood. This thing is a beast. Low bullets off the tee 10-20 yards short of my 3 wood. It can elevate as well if needed. I just use the stock DG105 steel shaft. I like the lighter steel and still very controllable.

As another sub 10capper who has questioned their need for a hybrid at times, I will suggest that you only look to replace long irons with the driving Iron. For me, the hybrids are just too forgiving, That miss you have with the hybrid will be multiplied ten fold by an iron.

Man, exact opposite for me.

Miss with the hybrid is a million miles left with a huge huge hook. Or sometimes even a pretty big slice. Not to mention, my hybrid flies outside of this atmosphere. Any type of headwind at all? My 235 yard hybrid turns into a 185 yard club because of the wind.

Where my 2 UDI might have an occasional push or tug, it never curves like my hybrid did. Instead of missing 30 yards off target, I might miss 5-10 yards off target, but even that is rare. I hit my 2 UDI off the tee almost as far as my 3 wood, and off the deck, it goes high enough to hold a green.

I don't think I'll ever put another hybrid in my bag.

As a reference, I am currently a 7.4 and can’t putt for crap, iron play is strength, Woods so so and putting very sad.

I tried the hybrid thing and it was ok for a short bit but a big hook was my miss out of no where and very high launch in spite of the setting. I play driver and weak 3 wood (GBB 16 deg 3/4 wood). Had the 19 cally hybrid for a year and recently tried TM UDI 2 iron, LOVED IT, but my mishits were penalized more than I wanted so I tried the new TM 2 iron GAPR Lo. BAM!! Sold. Very forgiving, can hit off tee easy and fwy when needed. Mishits are still ok as long as decent swing. Try it, can’t hurt. A little bulky compared to UDI but it is sweet. I hit hit about 10 yards less than my 16 deg cally GBB wood, including roll (lot of roll). Money on short holes and tight fwys. I had an OLD ping eye 2 2 iron that was money, this is at least 20 yards longer, same forgiveness.

U65 20° is a true utility iron for me. Great off the tee, and I can hit it like a long iron into the green, or hit stingers that will run a long way.

I hit a lot of different driving irons and utility irons. The TM Udi was amazing off the tee. And the Mizuno Fli-hi was a great long iron. But the Srixon U65 was the most versatile for me and provided great results from the tee and off the deck.

+1 here. Extremely versatile from tee or turf.

I had a similar situation with the EXACT same i15 hybrids, lol. Recently switched to u65 20* and 23* and it's made a world of difference in my long iron game. Straighter, better misses, and goes just as high (for me) than the i15's.

As far as the stock shaft goes, I have mixed feelings about it. Bottom line, if you swing it smooth the Miyazaki shaft will hold up just fine.