What’s the most forgiving forged iron that you’ve ever played?

DeboRU2002

Spent an few hours yesterday at a green grass demo specifically to hit irons and some wedges.

Most Vendors were there, with the exception of Titleist (Flu)

I hit Cally, Mizzy, TM and Srixon.

For me the winner was Srixon 765's with the Modus 120. Great feel ( XForged a close second) good distance and fairly forgiving on mis hits, losing only a couple of yards distance and slightly off line. This according to Trackman, and my visual observation.

Wasn't able to hit the XForged with anything other than PX (come on Callaway, Make fitting heads for this model! ), which I hate, but at least the had it in 5.5 for my 82mph club head speed. Not as forgiving on mis hits, losing more distance than with the Z765s. Could have been the shaft, though. Hit the Rogue pros !( Not Forged, but they did feel pretty good! ) with PX LZ and Modus 105. Nice sticks.

Spent quite a bit of time with the Mizuno JPX 900 forged, Modus 120, 105 and PX LZ 5.5, but I struggled with consistency and their turf interaction, and they really don't have that Mizuno feel of the past.

Honerable mention - TM P770. Probable the best feeling forged iron they've put to since the RAC 300. Too bad they had crap for shaft selection at their tent. Literally 50 iron shafts, yet no Modus, or PX LZ.

So that was my experience as a 8ish handicap with the latest forged CB's out there.

Ordering some Srixons nest week.

Spent an few hours yesterday at a green grass demo specifically to hit irons and some wedges.

Most Vendors were there, with the exception of Titleist (Flu)

I hit Cally, Mizzy, TM and Srixon.

For me the winner was Srixon 765's with the Modus 120. Great feel ( XForged a close second) good distance and fairly forgiving on mis hits, losing only a couple of yards distance and slightly off line. This according to Trackman, and my visual observation.

Wasn't able to hit the XForged with anything other than PX (come on Callaway, Make fitting heads for this model! ), which I hate, but at least the had it in 5.5 for my 82mph club head speed. Not as forgiving on mis hits, losing more distance than with the Z765s. Could have been the shaft, though. Hit the Rogue pros !( Not Forged, but they did feel pretty good! ) with PX LZ and Modus 105. Nice sticks.

Spent quite a bit of time with the Mizuno JPX 900 forged, Modus 120, 105 and PX LZ 5.5, but I struggled with consistency and their turf interaction, and they really don't have that Mizuno feel of the past.

Honerable mention - TM P770. Probable the best feeling forged iron they've put to since the RAC 300. Too bad they had crap for shaft selection at their tent. Literally 50 iron shafts, yet no Modus, or PX LZ.

So that was my experience as a 8ish handicap with the latest forged CB's out there.

Ordering some Srixons nest week.

The most forgiving I’ve played? Adams A4 Forged! I’m betting the Srixons will be right there. I’ll know in a couple of weeks.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizuno MX200's were super forgiving. Callaway Razr XF were crazy easy to hit although some may question if they are truly forged or not. They felt nice to me

I'm still playing my MX 200's. I've bought a few iron sets since I bought my 200's but the 200's continue to be my gamers.

Another vote for Mizuno MX-200's here. I gamed mine for nearly 10 years straight and only took them out of the bag about two months ago for a set Maltby DBM's. The DBM's are mighty fine as well!!!

I still own the MX-200's and will NEVER sell them - just a fantastic forged GI iron!!!

Probably gonna be a Japanese brand....they specialize in forged GI cavity backs....most domestic is cast or inserts on bigger cb's

Exactly. I thought the title said “ forged “. Not forged face. Or forged sort of. Forged badges or forged screws. Lol.

Forged is a single piece of metal.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I always thought my old Mizuno MS203s were very forgiving. I marked the sweet spot in black, and the "expanded sweet spot" in red. Most of the time if I missed on out in the "expanded sweet spot" area, they still contributed to GIR. Every once in a while a ball would end up in a bunker or off the green, but mostly that was just due to out of round balata wound ball construction... :swoon: :miz:

Ok, just having a little fun there.

The Mizuno MP62 is my idea of a forgiving forged iron, and I think it's the best one they've made. I'm looking forward at some point to owning a set of JPX900 Tours one day.

[i just looked it up. AP2 has a face insert.[b] IMO, any club with a face insert is not forged. [/b]I will go along with it if the head is forged and they have co-forged tungsten weights in the toe and heel, as long as the head is a one-piece forging and that includes the face

Buf if there is a steel face inserted on to a forged chassis, that is not forged, that's fake forged. Marketing does not make it forged and OEM's don't get to change the definition as they see fit.

The 718 MB is forged, the 716 CB (but not the 718CB) is forged. The AP2 is a steel face inserted on a forged body, and that is how they feel.

... You are entitled to your personal opinion but that does not change the fact that they are forged. I don't think OEM's are throwing the term around loosely either or trying to confuse or trick their customers. Titleist describes the AP2's as co-forged "Greater forgiveness and stability are achieved through precise perimeter tungsten weighting and a unique co-forged construction." And my favorite irons from Cobra the Forged Tour's are multi-material forged "The King Forged are the ultimate multi-material Forged iron". I have played many sets of solid construction forged MB's as well as Forged CB's and forged multi material is an evolution that I and obviously many others appreciate as long as it is fore from a soft carbon steel. The Forged Tours feel very sweet and soft. Soft as my one piece MP33's, 690.MB's or J33CB's? No but they are much more forgiving and I am happy with the trade off. Ymmv of course ...

Really not a matter of opinion. They aren’t.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Probably gonna be a Japanese brand....they specialize in forged GI cavity backs....most domestic is cast or inserts on bigger cb's

Exactly. I thought the title said “ forged “. Not forged face. Or forged sort of. Forged badges or forged screws. Lol.

Forged is a single piece of metal.

Exactly, There is forged, cast, and then multi- metal, or multi- material, not that confusing.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

PXG 0311XF

The ultimate older guy's set because you can even hit the 5i high and longish. Has me dreamin' of a 4i, but I'll stick with the 4H for now.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Callaway TA Prototypes...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I only really play blades but from that view the most forgiving irons I've played are by far the Srixon 945s.. So I would definitely look into the Srixon line up! Great feeling irons!

Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Blue 6X
Stealth 15* - Ventus Red 8X

Apex Hybrid 20* - Ventus Black 10X
TCB Raw 4-PW - Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG4 50*/55*/60* - Tour Issue S400
Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon 34"

I once had a set of Callaway Big Bertha Fusion irons. At the time one of the most, if not the most, forgiving irons available. I had a lot of trouble with them. Hit a lot of low hooks. One day on the course, as I struggled with my iron play, my friend handed me his 4-iron and said, "Hit this," after I hooked my 4-iron into the woods. I grabbed it, took a swing and hit a nice high baby draw.

For the rest of the round I hit his irons and found them to be a lot easier to hit than my Fusions.

His irons were Nike VR Pro blades.

From then on I always thought forgiveness to be overrated.

... You have touched on the mantra I had as an instructor for 5 years and still believe. I am of the opinion that everyone should play "the most forgiving irons they can effectively play". For someone like Tiger or Rory that effectively means MB's because they depend on maximum workability and any forgiveness will make that goal more difficult. But then someone like Spieth that certainly works the ball depends on more forgiveness in his AP2's. What I found with most of my students was they didn't practice or didn't practice enough, did not have natural hand eye coordination, swung too hard with inconsistent contact and so most needed SGI or at least GI irons as the most effective iron they could play. Of course better players and good ball strikers with forward shaft lean at impact do not need a ton of weight in the sole to increase their trajectory or a draw bias to compensate for their over the top early release and some do not need the perimeter weighting. So for them, finding the right balance between workability and forgiveness should be their goal. I doubt there are many Am's with Rory/Tiger ability and with so many Pro's playing irons like AP2's, Apex Pro's or TM770's forgiveness is certainly not overrated, it is just a question of how much do you need to play your best golf.

That is well said. When I picked up the Fusions I was quite excited. Here I had a set of irons with the tons of forgiveness "everyone" says that newer golfers need. Only, in my case anyway, they turned out to be the most unforgiving clubs I ever owned. It was a costly lesson, as I had to purchase a new set of irons. Since then, I will simply hit a variety of irons and go with the ones that perform the best. Forgiveness isn't even a part of the equation.

When I posted my experience with the Fusions way back then a number of people took great offense to what I said. One called me a liar. Another said that science proved I couldn't hit the VR's better than the Fusions, and I didn't know what I was talking about, etc.

I was really taken aback. All I did was comment on my experience. You would have thought I killed their dogs, or ran off with their wives.

... Yup, so much goes into the equation for each individual player when choosing irons. I bought a set of AP2's that came with Nippon 950GH stiff flex shafts and hit them so high with so much spin they were unplayable. I was going to re-shaft with VS photo shafts anyway but thought I would play them to see how these shafts perform as I had never hit them. If I was not as knowledgable and did not do my own work, I may have assumed the AP2's are terrible irons that launch too high. Once I re-shafted they were outstanding and gave me a true trajectory.

... I also had a few students that insisted they played better with MB's and I proved to them that they hit perimeter weighted players CB's better. Much better. With one exception. As soon as I put anything other than a MB in his hands his swing changed. The guy was paying me good money to teach him and I know he was not playing games. He mentally had a block that anything other than MB's would produce too much spin, hit the ball too high and draw the ball. So even though according to his swing and misses, he would have been better off with a CB, mentally he could only hit MB's with a normal swing. Instead of beating my head against the wall and trying to change his mentality, we just worked on improving his swing with MB's and when he missed one with half the ball mark off the scoring lines and on the toe metal, we just said it was a bad swing and moved on. One of the most valuable lessons I learned from teaching was, the mental aspect of the game has just as much influence on what clubs we play as much as how we play. If someone thinks a club is good or bad for their swing, it probably will be.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Mizuno MX 23

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

Tom Wishon's latest forged irons, the 565MC forged irons, are one of the best forged iron heads I've ever hit, and they are very forgiving. Give yourself a treat. Find a fitter that has Wishon stuff and give them a try. You can probably have a set custom built for you for a lot less than a set of big box OEM's and you will have a great set of irons.

If someone is curious re getting these, I am considering selling my 565MC heads.

Interested, attempted to send a pm but system didnt allow

• 7 months later...

... Cleveland 588TT's followed by the P790's in a not so close second.

Agree. For me 588TT's have gone up against all of the newer irons, and nothing has beat them for consistently hitting greens.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

Nike VRS Forged

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]