Your worst match play loss?

FlyingLaw1

Not in holes, but a terrible loss - club champs knockout final 16.

Dormie 2 up, missed 3 footer on 17 to win the game - three putt.

Centre fairway 18, to 8 feet uphill put for birdie. Old mate in the bundu with drive, second short sided in green side bunker.

Old mate holed the bunker shot for birdie, I missed the birdie putt, he won the 20th hole to take the match.

We still have a beer now and then and relive that day !

Terrible loss.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got beat by Nathan Smith 8&7 and I was one over par through those 11 holes, lol.

A case of Elite trumping Good?

I also lost 5&4 to Jay Sigel in 1993 prior to his declaring and heading to the Senior Tour(Before being named the Champions Tour), where he would grab 8 Victories and earn over $9,000,000+.

I had 3 birdies that day at Oakmont and lost two of the holes and halved the third. When ya go -3 across three holes and come out of it 2 down, well, ya know that it’s gonna be a short day, lolol.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My worst came in a team best ball match play tournament at Good Park in Akron. The match was close and we went to extra holes, so we replayed the 230 yard par 3 9th. My partner and I hit good shots to the front of the green and had easy 40 footers to 2 putt. One of our opponents fanned it into the trees and was out of the hole, the other put it in the front bunker. The bunker sand was sparse so the club bounced into the ball and it came out thin, but it hit the very top of the pin and got caught up in the flag so it dropped straight down into the hole for a birdie and a win. Rough.

6 and 5 and I was about a million over par. The day before I shot 67 to take medalist in the qualifying round.

As a footnote to this as I was forced to remember more: I missed a short putt on 9 that put me 2 down. I distinctly remember having a talk with myself before going to #10 and deciding I was going to get myself together and win the match. I was playing poorly and only 2 down, I could put it together and win...... I lost the next 4 holes and got closed out.

Lost 7&6 once, I was 1-2 over par, just ran into a buzzsaw. Not much I could do about his play.

Biggest win was 9&7 in a club championship final, it was one of those days where I played really well and my opponent played very badly.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I lost 6 and 5 in the finals of our club championship in 2009. I was 3-over par after 13-holes, which won't win much, but my opponent played beautifully and was 4-under par. After being closed out on the 13th hole, he wanted to go in and celebrate his first club championship. I tried to talk him into finishing his round to see how low he could go, but he told me he was too excited to continue.

Footnote:He won it again in 2010.

I’ve only played a few MP matches, so not much to draw on.

But paying an interclub match at our course. My opponent had never payed here before and I had been playing fairly well. I was a four and he a plus two, so I was getting three a side. Over confident may have been an understatement for me. Figured getting that many on my course I would take on anyone.

The margin wasn’t horrendous, 2 up for him, but it felt much worse. If I draw him this weekend (if I play), my expectations will be significantly lower

I got beat by Nathan Smith 8&7 and I was one over par through those 11 holes, lol.

A case of Elite trumping Good?

I also lost 5&4 to Jay Sigel in 1993 prior to his declaring and heading to the Senior Tour(Before being named the Champions Tour), where he would grab 8 Victories and earn over $9,000,000+

I had 3 birdies that day at Oakmont and lost two of the holes and halved the third. When ya go -3 across three holes and come out of it 2 down, well, ya know that it’s gonna be a short day, lolol.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

Sweetheart, it was 6&5, hahaha. Your memory’s going, haha. I have never told Richard this but Pete told me that he was never prouder of Richard than he was of him that day because he played his heart out and where many would have succumbed to the pressure of the Championship riding in their match, along with 600+ people watching him play one of the 2-3 greatest ams ever, and Richard played his best and was even par for the day and Pete said that he carried himself like a Champion, regardless of the outcome. Besides, as he mentioned, he would upset Duke Delcher the following year in the deciding march so Pete always believed that karma was in his bag that day against Duke for the way that he carried himself in losing to Jay. I wish I had known him then, haha :) M

A couple years ago in the MD State Am I was making a late charge in the quarter finals to get the match back to 1 down going into the 16th hole at Columbia CC. Its a par 3 about 150 yards with a pond that runs short and all the way up the right of green. After winning the 15th hole with birdie I proceed to hit the flag stick on 16, ball bounces off the stick, bounces off the green and clean into the pond...

I lose hole to a par and go 2 down with 2 to play.

Couldn't make birdie on 17 and end up losing 2&1.

I keep thinking to myself, what if my ball just goes in the hole instead of the water?

I gotta say this is my worst match play loss LOL

Golf is one hell of a game boys!

Lost after 10 holes with 8 to go in the second flight of a club championship years ago. Was all due to me playing absolutely horribly (like, so nervous I could barely hit the ball outside my shadow horrible). My opponent was playing his normal game and probably would have been a net 1 over for the nine, nothing spectacular, I was just playing that bad. I think around hole 7 he started feeling sorry for me and started playing a little less aggressively but I was too far gone.

As a 2 hcp I played in our association match play a few years back (for the last time) against a 18 hcp. He got strokes on all but two holes.

I didn't play my best and was 2 over par and 5 down after 9 holes. I halved 10 with a par (non stroke hole for him) and lost 11 with a par. I made par on 12 to his net birdie and was closed out 7 and 6.

There were a couple of issues with our match play format. First, there was no stroke adjustment for separate tee boxes. The white tees (which he played) are 3 strokes easier than the blue tees (which I played). Second, there were several competitors whose handicaps were obviously not accurate. This gentleman being one of them.

On several occasions I've heard him brag about shooting rounds in the mid-high 70s. Again, I didn't play my best, but 5 down after 9 holes shooting two over par kinda tells the story. I can't remember his score after 12 holes, but it wasn't very high. I think he was 5 over. He didn't make anything higher than a bogey on the front nine.

I have not played in the match play since.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

5&4. Gave away a hole on the front by making bogey to go 1 down. Came to number 8 still 1 down and playing partner rattled off four birdies in a row to get to 5-up. We halved the rest through 14. I did not play well. I believe I was 2 over through 14 with no birdies on the card. It’s a terrible feeling watching your opponent make birdies when you know you don’t have it that day. It was everything I could do just to scramble for pars on several holes.

6&5. I shot 71, and there were no strokes

Hahaha, been there Bro, lol

Sometimes life sucks & then we die?

And sometimes good just ain’t good enough?

I hope that you’ve had a nice season?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn’t be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.

My first match at my new club 4 years ago I had to shake hands on the 14th hole and got rolled pretty hard. I was nervous and got down early and couldnt mount any charge.

The not so humble brag to follow that up is that its been 3 years since I've lost a match now and have defended my match play title each season at that same club on the gross side of things.

Never really got blown out in a match but I was 4 up with 4 to play and lost on the first playoff hole. All I needed was one par coming down the stretch and couldn’t sniff one.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn't be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.

Wow that one stings. Best part is that he probably didn't even realize it

When I got my am status back I entered a now defunct match play tournament and drew a 15 year old in round 1. I was 1 or 2 under when he closed me out on 15 green, on the way in he mentioned he would need something to do because his ride wouldn’t be there for another hour to pick him up because we were done so early. That one hurt.

Hahaha, Bro this would be excruciating??

It was one thing losin like I did to Jay but to be in the red, walk in from 15 green and then my opponent had to hang around till his mommy picked him up???

Jesus, this game is cruel??

And humbling?

Great story?!!

My Best,

Richard

I birdied the par 5 10th to lose 10 & 8....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Hahaha, Bro this would be excruciating??

It was one thing losin like I did to Jay but to be in the red, walk in from 15 green and then my opponent had to hang around till his mommy picked him up???

Jesus, this game is cruel??

And humbling?

Great story?!!

My Best,

Richard

In my defense he won a US Jr Am and played/made cuts in several tour events in the next few years after that. He dropped off the world after that though, heard he’s a bitcoin trader now. This thread has opened up some old wounds indeed! :). Kid had to wait for a ride home after whipping my a**. LOL.

I lost 5 and 4 and had a better score.. didn’t have my best that day, but when you’re giving up 10 strokes over 9 holes, if your opponent makes a par, they usually win, and most guys who play league that claim they’re a 24 handicap usually aren’t.. lol if they make 2-3 pars and you’re not making birdies, you’re probably SOL.