2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Brooks Koepka Feels Slighted... But he doesn't care... But he'll remember

gunmetal

Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.

Honestly I like Feinsteins books.Ive read a good walk spoiled, the open, the majors, qschool, the fith major, etc... he obviously live and breathes golf and sports.Hes overly dramatic at times but hes the least bad person in golf media.

Tiger handled Feinstein wrongly because he was invited to shea stadium by president clinton after winning the masters for Jackie Robinson day.Tiger said verbatim to feinstein " they didnt want me there before i won, why should i go now". not his finest moment and feinstein told him hed regret it and that he should go as his achievement as a colored person winning the masters by such a margin is akin to Jackie breaking the color barrier. Tiger disagreed and thats when the tension mounted especially with his dad.its a shame as they could have collaborated on a great book

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be a tough task interviewing Brooks and DJ to be honest. Doesn’t seem like you’d get a lot of quality answers from those boys, we’ve all heard some of DJs interviews lol... seems like Brooks is similar in that way. They both get it done on the course though and that’s all that matters!

Some people are entertaining to listen lo, and others just boring. Thankfully the interviews with Biff are kept short

Yeah, he didn’t make a living stalking Tiger though. Like him or not, he’s had a pretty successful career. He just felt snubbed by Tiger and seemed to let that drive him.

Honestly I like Feinsteins books.Ive read a good walk spoiled, the open, the majors, qschool, the fith major, etc... he obviously live and breathes golf and sports.Hes overly dramatic at times but hes the least bad person in golf media.

Tiger handled Feinstein wrongly because he was invited to shea stadium by president clinton after winning the masters for Jackie Robinson day.Tiger said verbatim to feinstein " they didnt want me there before i won, why should i go now". not his finest moment and feinstein told him hed regret it and that he should go as his achievement as a colored person winning the masters by such a margin is akin to Jackie breaking the color barrier. Tiger disagreed and thats when the tension mounted especially with his dad.its a shame as they could have collaborated on a great book

If he said it like that ^^, I'm not surprised at the reaction

Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.

Maybe he values Majors more than instagram followers.

Then he should shut up about the media, or actually provide a quote or two.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/more-motivation-for-brooks-koepka-he-wasnt-asked-to-meet-the-media-at-east-lake-and-he-noticed

The guy doesn't ever seem interested in doing interviews and the few I've seen aren't all that captivating. I'm sure it's a little frustrating not getting the attention that others are getting given the season he's had, but be a little more interested and engaging maybe.

This statement from him seems like he's having a tough time how to process the whole thing...

“Sometimes it does suck, but I’ve started to care less. Come Sunday, I won’t forget it when everyone wants to talk to me because I just won. I don’t forget things.”

There isn't a single profound or interesting sports interview in existence. Why would this surprise you?

Koepka is a great golfer who hasn't figured out the power and importance of marketing himself. In this "look at me" era of social media, you have to self promote, give the press some meat to run with or else you get ignored. He wants to define the terms of his relationship with the media, as Tiger did, but he's not Tiger. DJ isn't all that exciting an interview either but the media will throw in some Paulina questions to make it worth their while.

That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

If he said it like that ^^, I'm not surprised at the reaction

Im paraphrasing but also remember it was 1997 not 2018 with all the hyperventilating going on today over every single word. Nothing malicious in his intentions

Does anyone know who Koepka's agent is? If he is underexposed, a lot of it is the fault his own marketing team. Getting appearances and attention is a two way street. It's not just about sitting back and being asked to do interviews or articles. You have to pimp yourself out if its something you want to do. If he had a major equipment sponsor, they would also probably be doing a lot of the legwork of getting him out there. Publicity doesn't always happen on its own, a lot of it is manufactured.

Perhaps he isn't interested, and that's certainly fine as well.

That's fine then he should stop whining about not getting media attention. I like Koepka, but he's not an interesting interview and he's not a great ambassador for golf, so he can't be surprised he's not getting invited for interviews.

Not a great ambassador? He is a great guy that worked his way up to the top, a winner with no scandals, no weird habits, just great golf. He is indeed a great ambassador.

Not a great ambassador? He is a great guy that worked his way up to the top, a winner with no scandals, no weird habits, just great golf. He is indeed a great ambassador.

I agree with you to an extent, but he also says he wish he played another sport growing up, so that's not exactly the greatest ambassador, and I'm a fan of Brooks.

I don't care for his interviews and he doesn't care if he's interviewed. We're going to make a great team moving forward.

I will confess, I don't hang around to watch many of the interviews regardless.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

What a perfect life....all the success and the highly sought after and very costly anonymity! What Tiger Woods would pay to go a WalMart and shop for groceries without there being a mob...priceless.

Anonymous Tiger go to Walmart.

Eat a bag of Ruffles and drink a soda.

Then leave without payin ; )

I agree with you to an extent, but he also says he wish he played another sport growing up, so that's not exactly the greatest ambassador, and I'm a fan of Brooks.

Then who is? I don’t see many great ambassadors out there... nobody’s perfect ?

Social media isn't everything but it's a pretty loose barometer of the global reach of different players.

Koepka with 3 majors has 118k followers from 2011. Phil Mickelson has 243k followers in 1 month.

There's the obvious players that have several times more followers than Koepka: Tiger (6.3m), Rory (3.1m), Fowler (1.6m), but also the likes of:

Keegan Bradley, Casey, Molinari, Webb Simpson, Stenson, Horschel, Zach Johnson, Snedeker, Shane Lowry

These are hardly the biggest names on Tour. Koepka seems to have a problem of marketing himself, the general non-golf watching public couldn't pick him out of a crowd, it's not just the media's fault. Media follow the people's interest.

I'm sure golfers of an older generation are rolling their eyes. They had to hustle their a** off to try to make a halfway decent living. They would have gladly done any interview or given any pub to try to grow the sport. Then you get a guy like Brooks who's making a mint of the money that Tiger and other golfer brought to the tour and he just wants to 'shut up and golf' and wants publicity, without doing anything to work for it.

He's a great player, no question. But giving just a little back to try to be more show a bit more to fans and try to promote/grow the game beyond what he does between the ropes woudln't hurt.

The biggest problem the sport has from an entertainment/ratings perspective is the whole engine is driven by a 42 year old with a bad back who defied the odds and came back. Casual sports fans don't care about 99% of these guys. They should be doing everything they can to keep the sport healthy.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I'm sure golfers of an older generation are rolling their eyes. They had to hustle their a** off to try to make a halfway decent living. They would have gladly done any interview or given any pub to try to grow the sport. Then you get a guy like Brooks who's making a mint of the money that Tiger and other golfer brought to the tour and he just wants to 'shut up and golf' and wants publicity, without doing anything to work for it.

He's a great player, no question. But giving just a little back to try to be more show a bit more to fans and try to promote/grow the game beyond what he does between the ropes woudln't hurt.

The biggest problem the sport has from an entertainment/ratings perspective is the whole engine is driven by a 42 year old with a bad back who defied the odds and came back. Casual sports fans don't care about 99% of these guys. They should be doing everything they can to keep the sport healthy.

And unfortunately for Golf, they never will. Golf has a massive handicap (pun intended) compared to other sports and it always will just like Tennis. Individual sports require excellence or someone who breaks the traditional mold to garner attention from casual sports fans. Tiger happens to be the perfect storm of both. There isn't anything any of these guys can do to really have a meaningful impact to the game in a growth popularity standpoint short of dominating at a level close to or surpassing what Jack and Tiger have done. That, is Golf's place in the pecking order and it ain't changing.

^^ that's very true, it's not their fault they're not transcendent stars.

Tiger's name, race, backstory, scandal and redemption, mixed with pure sporting excellence. May never be matched again.

Mickelson has been near the top of the game for 25 years and if you asked random people who he is or showed a picture, maybe 30-40% know. Show a picture of Tiger Woods and 99% know who he is. It is just a different level of fame entirely.

Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you.

There’s no way BK wins player of the year now. It has to be Tiger. BK could have won 5 out of the 4 majors and it wouldn’t have been better year than Big Cat winning the Barbasol!

Most golfers aren't Arnold Palmer- that is part of why everyone knows him- but if your job is to cover golf and you don't seek out the player who is a lock to be Player of the Year that is on you.

There’s no way BK wins player of the year now. It has to be Tiger. BK could have won 5 out of the 4 majors and it wouldn’t have been better year than Big Cat winning the Barbasol!

What? I understand the excitement but Tiger will rightfully win comeback POY and BK will rightfully win POY

It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:

DJ 11-1, Tiger 13-1, McIlroy and Spieth 15-1, Rose 17-1 and Koepka 19-1.

WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.

It's absolutely bizarre how underrated Koepka is. Just checked the latest odds on Sportsbet.com.au for the 2019 US Open:

WTF??!! Koepka has won three majors in the last two years and those other guys have won a combined total of one, never mind that Koepka is the two-time defending champion.

The odds of Koepka (or anyone) winning 3 straight US Opens is astronomical.

Sure, the odds of anyone winning any particular golf tournament are low, it's the nature of the game. But Koepka 6th favourite for a tournament that he has won twice in a row? Another way of looking at the guys with lower odds (which I think are more of a reflection of where people are putting their money rather than a logical evaluation of their chances, at least in Koepka's case):

Tiger: 14 majors, last won in 2008.

McIlroy: 4 majors, last won in 2014.

Rose: 1 major, won in 2013.

Spieth: 3 majors, last won in 2017.

DJ: 1 major, won in 2016.

Koepka: 3 majors, including two in 2018.

Actually they WOULD have been astronomically low...before he won the first 2 in a row. Now that that's known information, the odds are the same as him winning the tournament once, which is actually pretty decent.

He doesn't care about talking to the media, but he's upset no one is rushing to interview him? If he truly couldn't care less, then he would just go about his business and not acknowledge that the press doesn't chase him down for interviews. The fact that he he made a statement about not caring shows he really does care, and is bothered by it.
I can't add anything else to this. /thread :)

I can..... :taunt:

Hey Brooksy,

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X