2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best Rain gear

chbrake

1st go with the Pro Quip Stormforce PX6 jacket yesterday. Just cool and windy, no rain. The fit and fabric are perfect. Way more better than the FJ Tour Xp gear being replaced. Pro Quip marketing touts their proprietary fabric that feels like silk, spot on. Soft, supple, no rustle when swinging. Fit is close thru the body so no blouse effect when bent over to putt, plenty of freedom thru the armpits and shoulders.

Purchased thru Golfsupport.com, a U.K. firm. Pricing in U.S. dollars and shipping was fast and seamless. Thought $182.00 and $113.00 for the PX6 rain pants when purchased together is a pretty good deal.

how do the pants fit? baggy like most rain pants or more like a traditional pant? Are they ok to be worn just over a base layer in winter or would you always wear them over regular pants?

Ive been thinking about picking the px6 up because of the price

Not baggy at all for rain gear. Would work nicely with just a base layer, or able to wear over shorts or slacks.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

What's the different between PX5 & PX6? No PX6 on PQ website.

Good question. Never noticed PQ website does not show PX6. Golfsupport.com, where I ordered lists PX6 and garments are logoed PX6. Browsing both sites, they look identical.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

I like the Kjus Dexter so much, I’ve bought another for general wear. But deep red is pretty much my favourite colour and was reduced to 1/3 of the RRP. So...

I’ve also bought a Kjus Blackcomb stretch puffer, for pleasure, not golf. It may of course be deployed on the course as and when.

I bloody love this brand, their kit is so nice. I need to stop.

My Dexter Half-Zip came yesterday. The box it comes in is huge and the bag you store it in is tiny. I would have gotten a 52 if they had one at the $159 discount price, but since they didn’t, went with 54. It’s slightly big with only a t-shirt on but I’ll most likely have another layer on when I do use it so it should be fine.

My Dexter Half-Zip came yesterday. The box it comes in is huge and the bag you store it in is tiny. I would have gotten a 52 if they had one at the $159 discount price, but since they didn’t, went with 54. It’s slightly big with only a t-shirt on but I’ll most likely have another layer on when I do use it so it should be fine.

If you don't mind Gentian (purple), the web site appears have a size 52 for $95. You can add it to your cart, but, I don't know about check out. I tried to buy one earlier this year, but, I wasn't able to check out, since, they were sold out.

I have a bunch of rain gear from outdoor manufacturers as I do a lot of backpacking. I have a pair of Arcteryx full side zip pants with the c-knit backer that I use for adverse hiking conditions, which I also use as golf rain pants.

My heavy duty shell jacket is an Outdoor Research Mentor jacket, with the torso-flo pit zip systems. Do golf rain jackets have pit zips? Also, my mentor jacket has a hood....Can you play golf in a jacket with pit zips and a hood? I have yet to try it, but I'll probably throw my Mentor jacket in my golf bag and give it a shot.

Incidentally, someone earlier in the thread posted about KUIU, which makes ultralight gear for hunting. Their Chugach Rain gear is also made with Toray Dermizax, which is the same material as the Kjus Pro. The KUIU comes with a hood and pit zips. Pit Zips are awfully nice for ventilation.

Does the Proquip come with a fleece liner by chance? I was wondering if it is like Paramo rain gear.

Golf waterproofs typically do not have pit zips, no. Not really sure why though, to be honest with you. Golfers often times walk, and that builds up heat inside the jacket. Pit zips would be a good way to dump that heat.

As far as a hood is concerned, golf waterproofs typically don't have them either. Again, not sure why.

I do have a few Outdoor Research waterproofs that I will rotate into my golf gear, that have both pit zips and a hood. I really like the hood option, as it (obviously) keeps my head dry when walking and playing in the rain. Of course I pull it off/back when hitting a shot, as the hood moving/rustling around your head during a swing is distracting, bit pulled back it's not in the way at all. I do wish golf apparel manufacturers would start putting them on their waterproofs, or at least offering an option to have one. Even if it was stowable in the collar of the jacket.

And your idea to use "outdoor" (hiking, climbing, backpacking, skiing, etc) waterproofs for golf is actually a pretty good one. I've found that rain gear made for that market is designed to be used in MUCH more active settings than golf, where the wearer is moving a lot more (and possibly working up a sweat) than in golf. Thus usually much more breathable to deal with that increased water vapor, aka be breathable. This is where a lot of these alternative, better than GoreTex fabrics got their start. Designing something to breathe better and not be like wearing a trash can liner, holding the majority of your water vapor in and condensing to water inside your gear.

This is where I concur. I took up golf again ten years ago. Before that I climbed mountains (Colorado) and am an avid fly fisherman. I see no reason to buy rain gear that is golf specific. The light weight jacket in my bag is North Face. And as mentioned by chris975d Outdoor Research is good. That guy’s long post about Gore and their membrane is exactly as I understand the waterproof world. Just get the best.... Patagonia, Archteryx, Marmot, Simms, or any number of other outdoor equipment manufacturers.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

My Ping Zero gravity arrived today, comparing it to the Kjus dexter...

The Kjus is certainly lighter and thinner

The ping is significantly quieter and stretchier

The Kjus waist adjustment is better

Both are unbelievably waterproof

I think I’ll keep the ping and return the Kjus, the fabric is much nicer overall imo and the Ping is wider in the shoulders but slightly slimmer in the waist so fits me better

Have to say I wasn’t massively impressed with the Kjus stuff that arrived, spent £209 with them and returning £200, the hat that I decided to keep stained after just one use ‍♂️

Driver - Taylormade M2 2016 9.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
4 Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Tour Blue 75 TX
Hybrid - Callaway Apex Pro 20* w/ Mitsubishi Kuro Kage X
Irons - Ping i200 w/ Project X 6.0
Wedges - Vokey SM5 52:12 & 58:08 w/S400
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro 7 35"

My Ping Zero gravity arrived today, comparing it to the Kjus dexter...

The Kjus is certainly lighter and thinner

The ping is significantly quieter and stretchier

The Kjus waist adjustment is better

Both are unbelievably waterproof

I think I’ll keep the ping and return the Kjus, the fabric is much nicer overall imo and the Ping is wider in the shoulders but slightly slimmer in the waist so fits me better

Have to say I wasn’t massively impressed with the Kjus stuff that arrived, spent £209 with them and returning £200, the hat that I decided to keep stained after just one use ����‍♂️

Which year Zero Gravity did you get ? This year's ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

1st go with the Pro Quip Stormforce PX6 jacket yesterday. Just cool and windy, no rain. The fit and fabric are perfect. Way more better than the FJ Tour Xp gear being replaced. Pro Quip marketing touts their proprietary fabric that feels like silk, spot on. Soft, supple, no rustle when swinging. Fit is close thru the body so no blouse effect when bent over to putt, plenty of freedom thru the armpits and shoulders.

Purchased thru Golfsupport.com, a U.K. firm. Pricing in U.S. dollars and shipping was fast and seamless. Thought $182.00 and $113.00 for the PX6 rain pants when purchased together is a pretty good deal.

how do the pants fit? baggy like most rain pants or more like a traditional pant? Are they ok to be worn just over a base layer in winter or would you always wear them over regular pants?

Ive been thinking about picking the px6 up because of the price

Not baggy at all for rain gear. Would work nicely with just a base layer, or able to wear over shorts or slacks.

I have the PX5 Stormforce jacket/pants and agree, can't believe how comfortable it is!!!

I did a fairly extensive search for the best rain gear and I think the hands down winner is KJUS. They have two options the 3.0L and the 2.5L. The 2.5L is the lightest rain jacket I have ever owned. It weighs less than three golf balls! I have the 2.5L in a short sleeve pullover and the 3.0L in the full length zip up jacket.

They are both light- they are both not baggy and as important to me if they don’t make that annoying swishing sound when I walk.

Now that being said- I am going to buy a pair of the waterproof Galloway Bay rain pants. I have heard people raving about them.

I did a fairly extensive search for the best rain gear and I think the hands down winner is KJUS. They have two options the 3.0L and the 2.5L. The 2.5L is the lightest rain jacket I have ever owned. It weighs less than three golf balls! I have the 2.5L in a short sleeve pullover and the 3.0L in the full length zip up jacket.

They are both light- they are both not baggy and as important to me if they don’t make that annoying swishing sound when I walk.

Now that being said- I am going to buy a pair of the waterproof Galloway Bay rain pants. I have heard people raving about them.

Can you tell me if there are any differences in fit between the Dexter and the Pro 3L please? For instance, length, waist and chest fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't mind Gentian (purple), the web site appears have a size 52 for $95. You can add it to your cart, but, I don't know about check out. I tried to buy one earlier this year, but, I wasn't able to check out, since, they were sold out.

I checked the Kjus website a few days ago, and, I was able to order one in Gentian in my size. One surprising detail to me, is that the 1/2 zip Dexter does not have any pockets. I think I took it for granted, that it would have pockets. I ordered the recommended size, and, the fit is quite snug.

I checked the Kjus website a few days ago, and, I was able to order one in Gentian in my size. One surprising detail to me, is that the Dexter does not have any pockets. I think I took it for granted, that it would have pockets. I ordered the recommended size, and, the fit is quite snug.

The no pockets thing is something that a few manufacturers do, including Galvin Green, with their more lightweight pieces. The thought is to keep weight to an absolute minimum, and to keep extra material from "gathering" at the abdomen/waist area when swinging a golf club so that the jacket doesn't interfere with the swing. Doesn't really bother me as I never use front pockets on a jacket/pullover for exactly that reason, but it is something you have to be mindful of when ordering rain gear, if it's something you want. Especially from a European company.

Galvin Green. Hands down best golf wet gear available. Very pricey but has Lifetime warrantee. Buy one, if it ever leaks or wears out, it is replaced.

https://www.galvingreen.com

Actually, Galvin Green does not have a lifetime warranty. Their GoreTex products carry the same Gore "satisfaction guarantee" that most all Gore products carry, which IS NOT lifetime. It's the useful life of the product, which is very different, and up to the discretion of Gore, which, if you research it, you can find that they WILL deny in many cases. Some of my other posts in rain gear threads link to that warranty and statement directly from Gore.

Is Galvin Green one of the best? Sure. Is it the best? That's very subjective. If you are using price as a gauge of "quality", it's not even the most expensive. Kjus is up there with it and past it in price on many pieces. As long as Galvin is using exclusively GoreTex for waterproofing, it will never be "best" in terms of comfort, breathability, or quietness. GoreTex, even the CKnit stuff is still much stiffer and more noisy during movement than some competing products, and I've owned/do own most all. I've had over $6000 in Galvin Green at one time, all ranges of their Gore products. I still own Galvin, as I do like their styling over most all other Gore using golf outerwear. But when I reach in a closet for rainwear for comfort or quietness, it's almost never Galvin Green. Usually Kjus, Under Armour, ProQuip or even PING gets that nod.

I have no idea if this is the same Kjus pro 3l mentioned before but I guess an older version is on Sierra trading for 129

https://www.sierratr...olf/men~d~5284/

I've seen those, and I'm not sure what they are. The Pro 3L that most people are referring to with KJUS uses Derzimax as the waterproofing membrane, which is amazing. These mention "FAST 20", which I can't find much/any reference to. I've seen Sierra have Pro 3L variants, like this "LB" that I haven't been able to find any info on.

EDIT: I did find a little info on "FAST 20" in other KJUS products. It looks to have a 10,000mm waterproofing rating, whereas the Derzimax in the usual Pro 3L has a 20,000mm rating. So this is a different membrane, with "less" of a waterproofing rating. Now, that being said, I've had plenty of 10,000mm rated waterproofs hold up fine in downpours, and others at 10,000mm rating soak me, so the rating isn't the end all, be all. With this being KJUS, and them not putting out crap products, I'd tend to lean on this jacket being fine in all but the heaviest rains, which, at that point, you're going to be getting water entry around your neck, and having trouble holding on to the club anyway.

Just purchased a Under Armour storm 3 half sleeve and surprisingly great. Used it in 45 degree light rain Cleveland weather and faired very well warm and dry and got it for around $90 really impressed. I have a bunch of footjoy coats but they are cut too full for me the UA yet stated loose on the tag much more of a fitted cut so not so bulky when swinging.

Signature of Solon CC

Mizuno STX 230 10.5 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

Just came across this topic. Very glad I did. Thanks to all the info from you all.

Was in the market for new waterproofs and just assumed I was going to go with Galvin Greene. Checked the Proquip site and love the great prices on the PX5. Just ordered a Px5 storm gray jacket and Px5 black pants. Really like the fact that I could get 35” inside leg pants. The ZR stuff I had before was too short..

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is fantastic. Thanks for all the insight. Can anyone tell me if websites like golfsupport.com are reputable to buy from? The Pro Quip PX6 is $179.00 compared to $420.00 on the Pro Quip website, just seems to be a big disparity.

2 purchases thru golfsupport. Both smooth, no issues.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

This thread is fantastic. Thanks for all the insight. Can anyone tell me if websites like golfsupport.com are reputable to buy from? The Pro Quip PX6 is $179.00 compared to $420.00 on the Pro Quip website, just seems to be a big disparity.

Yes, Golfsupport.com is more than reputable. Only con is possible exchanges. It's $50-75 to ship back across the pond if you needed to do an exchange or return (assuming you're USA based). That's the only downside. But I order Proquip from them as well. It's cheaper for me to order from there than it is through direct wholesale account with ProQuip USA.