Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

AVX is low flight, lower flight than Pro V1 and Pro V1x while the Z star is considerably higher ball flight. the Z star has a very similar trajectory to a Pro V1x but the feel is similar to a Pro V1.

No offense, but does anyone really believe that balls have any effect on flight?

There is nobody on this planet (with the possible exception of the great ball strikers like Tiger) who could hit an AVX and a Z Star with the same club and notice one iota of difference in flight. Seriously!

AVX is low flight, lower flight than Pro V1 and Pro V1x while the Z star is considerably higher ball flight. the Z star has a very similar trajectory to a Pro V1x but the feel is similar to a Pro V1.

No offense, but does anyone really believe that balls have any effect on flight?

There is nobody on this planet (with the possible exception of the great ball strikers like Tiger) who could hit an AVX and a Z Star with the same club and notice one iota of difference in flight. Seriously!

The flight on the AVX is “visibly” lower than all 3, it is also softer and longer.

Go hit a prov1 and then a velocity. It will seem like you barely missed your forehead with the velocity.

AVX and the AD333 Tour (or Q Star in the US i believe) is more comparable, Z Star is a Pro V1 style ball. The AVX is still lower than anything else out there i've seen, definitely a ball for winter, where you lose any need for more spin around the greens. If you count on spin around the greens or have speedy greens then the AVX is probably not worth it.

Sorry Playa, gotta disagree with you on this one. There is a very noticeable difference even with my old slow swing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

No offense but are you seriously suggesting that all the aerodynamic research ball manufacturers have done over (especially) the last 20 years has produced balls where cover, layers and dimple patterns make absolutely NO difference ?

Seriously ?

Now, if your argument is that the difference is so small, that given every swing and every launch condition is slightly to quite a bit different, that nobody can tell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'd still disagree,,,,,,,,,,, but is IS a different argument. :)

Titleist Pro V1X

I tried the AVX, and it does fly lower. Seriously!

Z start and avx aren't even close to the same ball. Like others have said. The flight is noticeably different. More so from driver and woods. Avx spins less on iron shots. Avx is also slightly softer feeling.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Z start and avx aren't even close to the same ball. Like others have said. The flight is noticeably different. More so from driver and woods. Avx spins less on iron shots. Avx is also slightly softer feeling.

This^^^^^

Performance and feel wise they are not that similar. A lot of people love the Avx....but for me it is a bit of an outlier. I generally control my ball flight well most days, so I do not need help keeping the ball down. And now that I play GI irons, I definitely do not want less spin in my scoring clubs. But if you are someone that hits the ball too high, or has too much spin on approach shots, then I can see the AVX as a good ball for you. Otherwise I would say the Z Star is the better ball for most.

Playa.....you dropped the ball on this one! Yuge difference

I agree with this.

Actually, I don't agree at all but felt sorry for you after the absolute pasting that you have copped in this thread.

The Z Star for me played like a dud. It was short, clicky and not very spinny. I just didn’t get on well with it. It felt firmer than a Pro V1 but not as firm as a Pro V1x.

I like the AVX. I hit the ball really high. My last LM session was using a ‘17 Pro V1; 7i swing speed is 81-84 mph with a peak of 33-36 yards. Spin was 5200-5500 rpm. My descent angle is above 47°. I haven’t hit a LM with the AVX yet. The reported lack of spin in the AVX isn’t much of a concern since my ball splats on the green here in the Pacific NW when it lands even during the heart of our dry summer. To my eye, the AVX flattens my flight ever so slightly with My irons/wedges but still has a landing angle that stops the ball within a few feet (at most) of its pitch mark when I’m playing into a flat-ish green. I do enjoy the extra 4-6 yards I get with the AVX. With the driver through my 22° hybrid, the AVX play much like the Pro V1; ample launch and spin with excellent distance and a tight flight that bores through the wind. Interesting point; I’ve hit more Par 5’s in 2 since playing the AVX than any other ball. It’s likely due to the bit of extra roll AVX seems to get. The shot that is the hardest to play for me with the AVX is a 3/4 swing high spinner that flies flat, hits the green, checks and rolls out a yard or so. In a normal round I probably only play this shot maybe twice. The lower spin kind of takes this shot out of my repartoire as the ball doesn’t have quite the bit I would see with the Pro V1. Since this shot isn’t available to me I just hit the ball high.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

For sure noodle. Same as you. We had standing water on our course this summer. In the heat of august. I couldnt believe it. Even plugged into a couple greens this summer. Gotta love the pnw.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

This is accurate

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

I have played the Srixon zstar xv all year. Buddy of mine switched to the avx and I tried a few. Problem I had was unexpected distances on iron shots, especially 7 iron and shorter. Would get the occasional ball that did not spin enough and flew an extra 15 yards. Very similar to catching a flyer.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I have played the Srixon zstar xv all year. Buddy of mine switched to the avx and I tried a few. Problem I had was unexpected distances on iron shots, especially 7 iron and shorter. Would get the occasional ball that did not spin enough and flew an extra 15 yards. Very similar to catching a flyer.

+15 ? From the fairway ?

I get +5-6 and yes, it does take getting used to - have to adjust your distances on shots. Never had to do that with another ball.

It's OK thought - I like it !!! I feel SO much stronger. :D

GettyImages-600002146.jpg

Titleist Pro V1X

That is a good description although I just attribute it to longer distances off the irons. I wasn't' getting 15 yds difference, maybe a club? Very similar to what I got with TP5x balls.

Srixon Z Star IMO. Love the Srixon balls. You may get a SLIGHTLY lower ball flight from the AVX like everyone has said, but I feel that the Z Star will have more spin...but again, ever so slightly. But OP, I think you'd play great with any ball you choose bc I BELIEVE IN YOU THAT MUCH!! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Edit: Just to add, I am a ball hoe to a disturbing degree and switch balls up almost every round. I even mix in some non-urethane balls. My scores are pretty confined to a 4-5 stroke margin and I've never suffered due to the ball I'm using (from my perspective at least). The top name balls all play really close to one another, but believe me, I will never admonish anyone who wants to tinker into the minutia of golf balls because I am dat boi

What I have found after testing is that the softer the ball, the better I play. I believe it has to do with me feeling like slight mid hits are still solid strikes and my confidence builds over the round. My swing speed is between 105-110 with the driver but I feel like the X balls punish me for mid hits. I have switched between them both and have not noticed a difference in score When I played the XV and V1X the score is consistently higher.

I love the AVX as I find it flies lower and goes farther through the bag, but the Z star has also been a contender.

I echo the poster above me though I don’t have 100 percent confidence to bust out the AVX in tournaments yet because I have had the +15 yard rocket ball flier randomly. That has burned me a few times.

Sorry Playa, gotta disagree with you on this one. There is a very noticeable difference even with my old slow swing.

Agreed. I can definitely tell the difference between "higher and lower". :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I really like all of the Srixon balls. I've mostly been playing the QST lately, and that is the one that I think compares most directly to the AVX. Both are great balls. Playing in a tournament this weekend, and I'm trying decide which of the two to play but not sure they play all that differently for me in reality.

I have played both the Zstar and AVX pretty extensively, even back to back in rounds. Zstar flies noticeably higher, especially off the driver. I'm a high ball hitter, but not particularly high spin. I like the AVX quite a lot, occasionally I've had it not check up on greens like I want it to. Off irons it is maybe a few yards longer. Both are soft off the putter, AVX a little softer.

I think it all comes down to your game, if you rely on spin around the greens the AVX would be an adjustment whereas the Zstar is one of the higher spinning balls.

I've been using the Z star for about two weeks now, having exhausted my K-sig supply. I am hitting it miles high with the driver, and I'm not sure if its spin or launch. Fairways are still very soft around here from all the rain, so am getting no roll anyway. As a result of the soft fairways I'm having trouble determining how far drives are going, relatively speaking.

Iron flight and distance seem to be same as I'm used to.

+15 ? From the fairway ?

I get +5-6 and yes, it does take getting used to - have to adjust your distances on shots. Never had to do that with another ball.

It's OK thought - I like it !!! I feel SO much stronger. :D

GettyImages-600002146.jpg

It's not +15 all the time though. That's the problem. Like I said for me it's like catching a flyer. The occasional ball, couple times a round, will get a 12-15 yard jump. On irons that is awful.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar