Reed Unhappy with Jordan and Jim in Interview

Holy Moses

I think that it was Feherty who had an interesting reply when asked why the Europeans seem to value the Ryder Cup more than their American counterparts. He said something to the effect that in Europe, players are judged by their major championship record AND their Ryder Cup record. Americans, he said, seem to only put value to the major championships.

I don't know if their is any value in that comment, but it is an interesting opinion concerning this event, I think.

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No evidence of serious locker room issues, again where does this get made up?

One guy is whining.

I'm one of those who are guilty as charged, Hawkeye77. I'll own it. I'm simply supposing that these issues were at least a part of the locker room mentality of this team. Its very difficult for me to believe that these attitudes didn't affect the TEAM aspect of this group.

I could very well be wrong in that assumption, however.

To me, this is simply Patrick Reed deflecting blame for his poor play. Jordan and Justin played very well together. That pairing worked. Did the split of the Reed/Spieth pairing adversely affect other teams? We will never know. Its the responsibility of each pairing to take care of its own match and the others obviously didn't fare nearly as well.

Other guys were likely happy Spieth and Thomas playing, seemed like an obvious team, and doubt if they gave a damn about Reed's feelings.

But that's mere speculation as well.

Reed is just acting out and again hopefully will see it differently someday and the rest is wrx mania!

I agree with Reed here. Seems Furyk played up the let's all be buddies and play with our friends mentality. This is the freaking Ryder Cup, not a casual Sunday match. Play the pairings that give you the best chance to win, not who would have the most fun being paired together.

I had a feeling this would go this way when Phil was announced as a captain's pick....... what a freaking joke.

I think for most people, pairings that have the most fun together often give you the best chance to win. In 2014 and 2016 I'm sure they got along just fine which is why they were successful. But after Reed become Captain America and a Masters champ, his tiny nike shirts couldn't hold in his sweaty flabby ego from flopping all over the place. How do you think the Reed/Spieth pairing would have looked when Spieth would have to drop after every Reed water ball? It would have played out terribly in front of the entire world, much like Tiger and Phil in 2004. If Reed really wanted to continue the partnership, he should have made himself a good partner.

That post wasn't directed at the Reed/Speith non pairing but the overall feeling of the entire US team and embracing this event. Why in the world would Phil be playing a foursomes match when he sprays the ball all over the map? The incompetence of Furyk was on full display this weekend (for the record I do like Furyk, but he messed this up so bad).

I think that it was Feherty who had an interesting reply when asked why the Europeans seem to value the Ryder Cup more than their American counterparts. He said something to the effect that in Europe, players are judged by their major championship record AND their Ryder Cup record. Americans, he said, seem to only put value to the major championships.

I don't know if their is any value in that comment, but it is an interesting opinion concerning this event, I think.

They live for the Ryder Cup. Just watched the special on Seve, Faldo, et al. and listen to Monty, Rory, Poulter - big deal to them.

But fun for us when we win.

Bet nobody on here knew we won two years ago and that Tiger, Phil, Furyk task force was the best thing since invention of the medicus.

I bet USA wins again.

No evidence of serious locker room issues, again where does this get made up?

One guy is whining.

I'm one of those who are guilty as charged, Hawkeye77. I'll own it. I'm simply supposing that these issues were at least a part of the locker room mentality of this team. Its very difficult for me to believe that these attitudes didn't affect the TEAM aspect of this group.

I could very well be wrong in that assumption, however.

To me, this is simply Patrick Reed deflecting blame for his poor play. Jordan and Justin played very well together. That pairing worked. Did the split of the Reed/Spieth pairing adversely affect other teams? We will never know. Its the responsibility of each pairing to take care of its own match and the others obviously didn't fare nearly as well.

Other guys were likely happy Spieth and Thomas playing, seemed like an obvious team, and doubt if they gave a damn about Reed's feelings.

I would like to know how Tiger felt about Speith not volunteering to play with Reed. :tongue:

Reed is just acting out and again hopefully will see it differently someday and the rest is wrx mania!

We do sometimes love to discuss the drama, don't we?

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

It sure isn't on Furyk. If I'm managing a team and know I have two people who just can't get along, I'm sure not going to give them the biggest project of the year against their wishes if I have a choice. And having done well two years ago doesn't really mean much, if anything. Why would the theory be that they'll be somehow great together despite hating each other? Nonsense.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

This is on Reed. You can't constantly throw a team mate under the bus like he did to Jordan and then get upset when he's done with you. Reed's an *ss. I don't think he gets that there's more Jordan supporters in that room then there are Reed supporters. I would leave Reed off the next team and watch them rally around the camaraderie in the team room and the desire to show Reed how a team works.

And for making Jordan play with him? That's a huge captain mistake to make him go out with a team mate that would make me want me to wrap a 5 iron around his head whenever I look at him.

Reed losing his team matches and Jordan winning his says something about their ability to work in a team.

Reed sucked on the fourballs which is pretty much individual events, if he's so good on singles, why is he bad on fourballs? I wouldn't want to play with him on the foursomes, imagine the look he gives you if you give him a bad shot and he would just walk it off if he puts you on a bad spot, who wants to play with a guy like that?

He should never be on a foursome team until he has someone who can stand up to his bullying and put him on his place like his wife puts him on his place at home.

But I agree, Furyk was a bad captain...Phil should never be in a foursome, only he can save his own shots....

Tiger can't play 4 matches in 3 days.... he looked deflated

On the fourballs, it could be anyone really but the foursomes need real chemistry

Foursomes:

Koepka/Johnson (best buddies)

Thomas/Spieth (best buddies)

Fowler/Watson (best buddies)

Finau/Simpson

Fourballs:

Reed/Mickelson (make or break team but Reed can't bully Phil, so that's taken care of)

Woods/DeChambeau

Koepka/Johnson (young, can play 2 rounds/day)

Thomas/Spieth (young, can play 2 rounds/day)

But the US players need some fire in them, only Spieth and Thomas had that unfortunately, everyone else was nothing

Look at the Euros, even Molinari showed some fire.......Iceman showed some fire.....Noren showed some fire.....

Combination of things got the US whooped

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Damn,so many pro golfers on the PGA Tour are simply too soft. You get upset because a former successful Ryder Cup "partner" said some unflattering things about you, so you go cry to Captain Furyk that you just aren't comfortable playing with the guy, so please let me and my best friend play together because we are lifelong friends. Damn any success the duo had as a tandem, lets just make this a "player friendly environment", whatever the heck that means. Granting that selfish wish had a snowballing effect on what might have been a better pairing of other team members. How many other professional athletes talk smack back and forth, get into individual arguments as members of a team, and even fight at times, but still pull together for the good of their team. That to me was the selfish aspect of individuals playing for themselves rather than for each other. Lastly, fair or not Furyk's role as captain sorely missed instilling motivation & confidence in any of his players. Guess his role was simply to let each player call his own shots, in combination with his questionable pairings. This approach, obviously lacked success, but I hope everyone had a good time in Paris, at the formal dinners, & other gala activities the Ryder Cup experience had to offer because there weren't many good times on the course. But it was a player friendly environment, don't you think?

This is what happens when you have a guy like Furyk who is still on the Tour and friendly with all these guys making tough decisions. Reed and Spieth might have lost their mojo and they could have lost anyway but we will never know.

I don't always agree with Reed, but in this case, I do, it was a bad move by Furyk to split 2 successful pairings because Speith didn't want to play with Reed. If Spieth and JT want to play golf together let them do it on their day off not when they are representing our country. I lost a bit of respect for Spieth because he didn't put the team first.

Wasn't Tom Watson the antithesis of that though? And didn't everyone complain afterwards about how he was diffident and not buddy-buddy with the players? His captaincy was what led to good guy Davis and good guy Furyk who were both "in sync with the players." Point is, when you lose, every captain, player, and strategy gets put under a microscope and second-guessed. Europe seems to take their losses much better than we do. We immediately start pointing fingers instead of just admitting we were outplayed by a better team.

This is on Reed. You can't constantly throw a team mate under the bus like he did to Jordan and then get upset when he's done with you. Reed's an *ss. I don't think he gets that there's more Jordan supporters in that room then there are Reed supporters. I would leave Reed off the next team and watch them rally around the camaraderie in the team room and the desire to show Reed how a team works.

And for making Jordan play with him? That's a huge captain mistake to make him go out with a team mate that would make me want me to wrap a 5 iron around his head whenever I look at him.

Reed losing his team matches and Jordan winning his says something about their ability to work in a team.

This is way out there, and will sound like a defense of Reed. It is not...just silly speculation. It certainly appears that Patrick doesn't have the best social skills/maturity on the planet. Is it possible, his needling of Jordan was his way of being "friends"? And, he got his feelings hurt when he got the negative reaction/freeze out from JS?

I realize it's just silly, wild, speculation and it's just as likely he's a giant a**. It's just hard to believe anyone lacks that much self awareness.

Why is Reed crying? He got to play with Tiger, he messed up with Jordan and as a result he got paired up with a legend and he couldn't embrace it? What an entitled baby.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

He did and he also went on to say that " I don't want to say the Americans don't care, but it means more to the EU side than it does to American side"

Reed can be arrogant and annoying but the personal crap should have been dealt with before the first match. This is where guys like Tiger, Furyk and Phil step in and tell these guys to either fight or put their big boy pants on and go win a few matches for the team.

When I played football in H.S. our offensive tackle hated our QB and it hurt our team. The seniors got the 2 of them into the locker with the rest of the team blocking the doors and told them, either kick the crap out of each other or shake hands but we're not leaving here until one of those two things happen.

Hard for Tiger and Phil to tell someone else to put their big boy pants on when they had a similar dispute for years. Only one thing that these two pairs love more than pride of country is...money. Jordan and Reed need to play for $9 million too.

Then Zach and Kuchar should have done it, point is, these two guys were poisoning the team and it doesn't appear Furyk wanted to address it directly.

Drama Queen?

They weren't poisoning anything. They didn't play together. You think this all came up Thursday morning?

Perspective people.

When two guys are going it at it and one tells the Captain he doesn't want to be paired up with the other guy it's creates a division in the team. Not sure if it was everyone against Reed or if there were some who felt YJS was being a bit sensitive and needed to get over it but if you've ever played a team sport you know that stuff affects the entire team not just the individuals.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Well that didn't take long. It shouldn't really come as a surprise I guess after Mrs Reed's comments yesterday. They both seem to resent that there is almost an us against the world persona about the both of them but there attitude and demeanor has created that and behaviour like that has only entrenched them into that position even more.

That said, I'll doubt that anyone on Team USA lost any sleep over a thoroughly unlikable couple being unlikable.

Let’s at least try to lose with class

Class isn't a word often associated with Reed unless of course it is proceeded by the words "lack of"

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Surely Justin Thomas was an obvious partner for Jordan Spieth, given their long friendship? And it worked well too, they had a good record.

Reed is a nasty piece of work. “For somebody as successful in the Ryder Cup as I am, I don’t think it’s smart to sit me twice”. No self awareness.

Anyone that played the way that he did on Saturday morning would have been benched. I am sure that he saw parts of the golf course that not another player, even Mickelson saw during the week.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

At the end of the day given the last day pairings you should have been able to get the points for the win. I do think you overestimate how good many US players are though. Much as I like watching, say, Rickie Fowler, why would any player have any fear if him ? I bet they laughed when Phil and Bryson got picked ? They aren’t THAT special

This.

I feel for the USA team having to deal with that a**.

"I understand what you are saying Patrick but all I can actually hear is me me me me me ......"

Seems to me the US Captain needs a special pick option where they can de-select a qualified player.

US need to get this going for Bubba.

I wouldn't mind something like that, but if you're gonna do it you're better off getting rid of all automatic qualifiers and making them all captains picks out of a qualifying pool. Keep the Ryder cup points system and make the qualification be the top 20 or so and the captain picks his 12 from that pool. No reason to have people qualify on points only to be vetoed after. That would just cause more problems

I agree with breaking up the pairings. Two and four years ago means little, both Spieth and Reed were playing poorly going into this Ryder Cup. They didnt have chemistry, and JT/Spieth had just as good a team record at a tougher course against better European players.

Reed was trash this weekend. How could Furyk put him out there with somebody hes publicly fronted with Reed driving it like garbage? How does that alternate shot go? You may not have to like your partner, but you sure need to trust them.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Reed can be arrogant and annoying but the personal crap should have been dealt with before the first match. This is where guys like Tiger, Furyk and Phil step in and tell these guys to either fight or put their big boy pants on and go win a few matches for the team.

When I played football in H.S. our offensive tackle hated our QB and it hurt our team. The seniors got the 2 of them into the locker with the rest of the team blocking the doors and told them, either kick the crap out of each other or shake hands but we're not leaving here until one of those two things happen.

Don't leave me hangin'...

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Guys like Reed are poison within a team. An they show their true colours in defeat. Plus a wife meddling in his pro life, no wonder they ended up seating him. These types of attitude are pretty common by some players of Team USA when they get beaten (see Phil/Captain Watson in 2014). This shows how thin the bond usually is in the American Squad.