D/C/P event ruining golf

Was thinking a lot about it this weekend and had this discussion with a couple of high profile tournament directors. D/C/P is literally a joke. I would use other words but would be be banned. The PGA, USGA, and Augusta National are dumping a ton of money into this event and it does nothing to help the sport. They should take the money and dump it into local/state/regional level tournaments for these kids. Let that lead up to a national spot light tournament at ANGC.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By what metric is it ruining the game?It's been around, what, 5-6 years? Seems a little too early to determine the long-term success of the program.

I think one can complain about the event not representing true golf, but still accept it has a role in growing the game. I'm interested in understanding how it is in fact hurting the game.

By what metric is it ruining the game?It's been around, what, 5-6 years? Seems a little too early to determine the long-term success of the program.

I think one can complain about the event not representing true golf, but still accept it has a role in growing the game. I'm interested in understanding how it is in fact hurting the game.

The money spent on it should go to promoting and helping local tours. This is not helping the game grow at the local level at all. Get kids involved year round, not for just a 15 minute or less event. In fact, this event is more for the parents than it is for the kids. They need to actually do something to help promote the game for the kids. How does a Drive, Chip, and Putt promote the game?

The daughter of a buddy at my club has gone far with D/C/P. She'll be at Augusta next year. She is also a great all-around golfer and has competed in and won a number of events for her age group.

Now, I'm not sure whether she got her start in golf with D/C/P and is now a great golfer, or vice-versa. Either way, the two seem to have gone hand-in-hand, so I'm not sure how the OP's argument stacks up in her situation. I guess you could argue that if she's already a very good golfer, then the D/C/P stuff is unnecessary... But that would be a real stretch.

I don't know much about D/C/P, but I'm inclined to disagree with the OP's premise.

Was thinking a lot about it this weekend and had this discussion with a couple of high profile tournament directors. D/C/P is literally a joke. I would use other words but would be be banned. The PGA, USGA, and Augusta National are dumping a ton of money into this event and it does nothing to help the sport. They should take the money and dump it into local/state/regional level tournaments for these kids. Let that lead up to a national spot light tournament at ANGC.

Yes, perhaps holding a "Junior Masters" at ANGC would be more worthwhile. Wouldn't it be awesome to have all the age divisions (similar to USKG Worlds age and distances) playing the famed course? All of the local/regional qualifying tournaments would be awesome also.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Great points HH. Part of the problem also has to do with where the PGA and USGA are donating their money. For instance, and this is not politically motivated, the PGA Tour gave $275,000 to the Clinton Foundation in 2016 to support reducing preventable diseases in the Jacksonville area. The USGA's largest donation was to the DCP group to the tune of $704,000. It's my opinion that neither of these are supporting growth of the sport in its true sense.

DCP for the most part is around 100 kids that spend five minutes hitting 9 shots with virtually ZERO interaction between contestants the same way a round of golf would.

This ^^^^^

The daughter of a buddy at my club has gone far with D/C/P. She'll be at Augusta next year. She is also a great all-around golfer and has competed in and won a number of events for her age group.

Now, I'm not sure whether she got her start in golf with D/C/P and is now a great golfer, or vice-versa. Either way, the two seem to have gone hand-in-hand, so I'm not sure how the OP's argument stacks up in her situation. I guess you could argue that if she's already a very good golfer, then the D/C/P stuff is unnecessary... But that would be a real stretch.

I don't know much about D/C/P, but I'm inclined to disagree with the OP's premise.

You can't argue on the premise of one kid. It is in that of the entirety. Did you know that you literally have 9 shots in the competition? 9 shots is promoting the game? Put the money into actually helping local golf event and tours, not a 9 shot event. I am not talking about The First Tee and other programs geared to bigger cities and not really geared towards golf either. I am talking about local tours and events in the burbs of America. Really grass root stuff. D/C/P is about a bunch of rich guys patting themselves on the back for three, 9 shot competitions.

I can't say for sure that DCP is 'ruining' golf per se, but it for sure isn't helping junior golf. I'm not sure how many more times my son will try to get me to Augusta lol. It's kind of exciting to make to Regionals, but left with a totally sour taste in my mouth the last few years for not moving on after a few careless mistakes.

I do like HH's idea of having all the donated proceeds go towards some local and regional tournaments that lead to a large tournament giving participating kids some air time on TGC.

I can only speak to my own personal experience. My daughter has been doing this for four years. At 6 years old, it was her introduction to a competitive golf environment. For the first two years, I could hardly get her out to practice, ever. After making regionals last year, I was able to convince her to sign up for US Kids events to improve the competitive mindset and ability to perform under pressure. For now, she begrudgingly does the local tour because I have convinced her that she needs it to prepare for the events.

It has taken small steps, and there are still setbacks, but she will tell you that DCP is the only event she "cares" about. Obviously I know that is not a long-term strategy for a lifetime of golf. But if it's the carrot at the end of the stick for a 9 year-old, I'm fine with that. I expect that by 12 she will have either given up, or will understand DCP is a sideshow, not the main event. Either way, I'm not convinced she would be playing golf right now if that event did not exist.

As for the ANGC, they can spend their money however they want. They are not stewards of the game. They are stewards of one tournament, and their elitist club. And who knows, maybe their end game is to have a national tournament one day. I don't think any of us could have predicted a year ago they would host a women's amateur tournament. In fact, I would argue that the television success of DCP is what empowered Ridley to host the ANWC. So I'd say it has panned out in that arena.

Bottom line, 6 years ago I had no concept of junior golf in America. Thanks to DCP, and subsequently WRX, I do now. I think junior golf has been a niche sport in this country, and any additional national exposure is good. Was there previously some large nationwide junior event that was televised, which DCP has usurped?

I don't know if it's ruining the sport, but it sure does ruin a lot of pre-Masters coverage that TGC could be playing instead of running replays of a bunch of kids chipping and putting. That just makes for awful TV.

As far as growing the game, who wants that. You want even slower rounds on the weekend? I want more people to quit.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I don't know if it's ruining the sport, but it sure does ruin a lot of pre-Masters coverage that TGC could be playing instead of running replays of a bunch of kids chipping and putting. That just makes for awful TV.

As far as growing the game, who wants that. You want even slower rounds on the weekend? I want more people to quit.

Should have used another title. Probably used to how click bait headlines read on social media.

I can't say for sure that DCP is 'ruining' golf per se, but it for sure isn't helping junior golf. I'm not sure how many more times my son will try to get me to Augusta lol. It's kind of exciting to make to Regionals, but left with a totally sour taste in my mouth the last few years for not moving on after a few careless mistakes.

I do like HH's idea of having all the donated proceeds go towards some local and regional tournaments that lead to a large tournament giving participating kids some air time on TGC.

Definitely not the scramble that PGA Jr. League does either. I like PGA Jr. League and definitely think it has it's place. On TV is just not good television.

If it were up to me, I'd take that money and start throwing it at people that are truly developing junior golfers. If you aren't following what Michelle Holmes does with junior golfers or what Chris Smeal has done growing FCG then you are missing out. Look at who sponsors FCG... Callaway, BLAST, 18 Greens, SKLZ, etc. Where's the money from the PGA or USGA? US Kids is funded two ways primarily, one from your tournament fees but also from their club sales.

I have probably railed on US Kids Golf at times here but what Dan did in creating US Kids has probably grown the game more than any other program the PGA or USGA have put out there. There are a lot of folks that are trying to do something similar locally but without funding they will never get off the ground.

Plus, don't you think that spending a couple of hours with your kid playing tournament golf is more impactful than watching them hit nine golf shots?

I agree with you about US Kids. If it weren't for US Kids there would be no DCP, in my opinion. Dan is the biggest reason Junior Golf is booming. He has done it by himself without the PGA and USGA.

You can't argue on the premise of one kid. It is in that of the entirety.

Haha Actually, I can, but I also said that I didn't know which prompted the other. Anyway, I WOULD assume that the kids who are into D/C/P think it's great. Whether or not that translates into "growing the game" for each of these kids, I have no idea. But it might. I just don't pretend to have the data that they have.

Did you know that you literally have 9 shots in the competition? 9 shots is promoting the game?

Huh. It's almost as though they should change the name from "Hardly a Full Round of Golf" to "Drive, Chip, and Putt," or something like that. "D/C/P" would be a much better description of what the event is.

Put the money into actually helping local golf event and tours, not a 9 shot event. I am not talking about The First Tee and other programs geared to bigger cities and not really geared towards golf either. I am talking about local tours and events in the burbs of America. Really grass root stuff. D/C/P is about a bunch of rich guys patting themselves on the back for three, 9 shot competitions.

...And there it is. I have no dog in this fight, and you sound like something else is bothering you, so I'm not sure what else to say about it.

I dunno...seems like kids/parents/families will remember this more than winning or playing in a couple "local tour" events. I have no problem with it. I would have loved to have this chance when I was younger. A day at Augusta with some competition? Sign me up, dont care how many shots I hit. I dont think having a "Junior Masters" would be that great for the game since the best jr players would get in and would still leave out solid jrs who couldnt get in, just look at the Jr Players. My guess is it would be the elite AJGA players that could/would qualify. I would love to watch it if televised but dont think its a big game changer.

You can't argue on the premise of one kid. It is in that of the entirety.

Haha Actually, I can, but I also said that I didn't know which prompted the other. Anyway, I WOULD assume that the kids who are into D/C/P think it's great. Whether or not that translates into "growing the game" for each of these kids, I have no idea. But it might. I just don't pretend to have the data that they have.

Did you know that you literally have 9 shots in the competition? 9 shots is promoting the game?

Huh. It's almost as though they should change the name from "Hardly a Full Round of Golf" to "Drive, Chip, and Putt," or something like that. "D/C/P" would be a much better description of what the event is.

Put the money into actually helping local golf event and tours, not a 9 shot event. I am not talking about The First Tee and other programs geared to bigger cities and not really geared towards golf either. I am talking about local tours and events in the burbs of America. Really grass root stuff. D/C/P is about a bunch of rich guys patting themselves on the back for three, 9 shot competitions.

...And there it is. I have no dog in this fight, and you sound like something else is bothering you, so I'm not sure what else to say about it.

Actually, you can't, because there is no premise of one kid. I mean you can, but no one is going to listen.

A 9 shot competition is in no way promoting the game. D/C/P is 50% luck.

Nothing bothering me. I just call it like I see it.

Isnt DCP older then 6 years old if I recal there was a Mutual of Omaha event about 20 years ago. Wasn’t in junior golf 20 years ago so I don’t know much about it but heard about more then once.

I think DCP is just lip service for the Masters and they just want to do something to look like there doing something. Most people actually think the kids who play have amazing ability even though most of us see that kind of play all the time.

As an event I think it doesn’t do much but bring a few serious juniors and lot grandkids of golfers out there who end up getting killed in the first round. I also don’t think they are going to give it until anytime soon. I learned to just not care.

More kids playing golf, kid who are probably playing golf already and looking to compete and have the change to play on the practice area that many of us on here will never get to do seems pretty cool experience even if they never do anything in golf again.

I’m sure there’s downside and “charity” money not going to better places can probably be said for many areas around golf and life in general.

I have no issues with whatbrhey are doing and it’s just another way to compete in golf similar to those with skills as an adult that can participate in long drive which also could bd said to not being doing anything to grow the game

Isnt DCP older then 6 years old if I recal there was a Mutual of Omaha event about 20 years ago. Wasn't in junior golf 20 years ago so I don't know much about it but heard about more then once.

I think DCP is just lip service for the Masters and they just want to do something to look like there doing something. Most people actually think the kids who play have amazing ability even though most of us see that kind of play all the time.

As an event I think it doesn't do much but bring a few serious juniors and lot grandkids of golfers out there who end up getting killed in the first round. I also don't think they are going to give it until anytime soon. I learned to just not care.

Yes, there was a Drive/Chip/Putt before the revival.

Sponsored by Mutual of Omaha, even televised on Golf Channel. Nationals were in Orlando, I think.

Yes, perhaps holding a "Junior Masters" at ANGC would be more worthwhile. Wouldn't it be awesome to have all the age divisions (similar to USKG Worlds age and distances) playing the famed course? All of the local/regional qualifying tournaments would be awesome also.

that would NEVER NEVER NEVER happen. How many of you have been in a later group of the day in a kids event and looked how bad the greens look? kids not repairing ball marks, kids twisting their feet on greens ect ect. Kids these days.... Gosh I suddenly sound old.

I can't speak for anybody by my own kids and their friends. At our club, there are two events the kids care about: the Parent/Child Tournament (which has always been abig deal in the club) and D/C/P.

My daughters will probably never play in junior tournaments. They'll probably not play in high school or college. They work on their game to play in D/C/P and that one tournament. They play golf to have fun and hopefully will for the rest of their lives. That's growing the game.

We're not all trying to make (L)PGA tour players out of our kids...

I can't speak for anybody by my own kids and their friends. At our club, there are two events the kids care about: the Parent/Child Tournament (which has always been abig deal in the club) and D/C/P.

My daughters will probably never play in junior tournaments. They'll probably not play in high school or college. They work on their game to play in D/C/P and that one tournament. They play golf to have fun and hopefully will for the rest of their lives. That's growing the game.

To me, that isn't growing the game at all.

I'm missing something.

Introducing young people to a game that they will love and play for the rest of their lives - albeit probably not competitively beyond the club level - is the my definition of "growing" the game.

I'm missing something.

Introducing young people to a game that they will love and play for the rest of their lives - albeit probably not competitively beyond the club level - is the my definition of "growing" the game.

Have you ever been to a DCP local qualifying event? I have and every time I see the same thing. The same group of kids who play regularly the local tournaments are there and a group of kids who I don't know and from the looks of it has just picked up a club.

Usually these new kids have grandparents having around telling them how good they are. Then the competition begins and they usually have no shot against kids who actually play. Some do get luckier then other but most of them lose pretty bad they are usually shocked to see other kids outdrive their kids 2 to 1. The worst is sometimes those kids actually cry. You almost always see the grandparents slink away never to seen again.

That is not a good introduction to junior golf. The only tournament I ever seen worse was a top golf tournament that put 6 year olds against 14 year olds and called it a tournament.

9 hole US Kids tournaments are much better experience. For new kids I would love to see more team format with scrambles out there so it not as much pressure. Years ago I played this format with my kids and it really took a lot pressure off everyone.

I'm missing something.

Have you ever been to a DCP local qualifying event? I have and every time I see the same thing. The same group of kids who play regularly the local tournaments are there and a group of kids who I don't know and from the looks of it has just picked up a club.

Usually these new kids have grandparents having around telling them how good they are. Then the competition begins and they usually have no shot against kids who actually play. Some do get luckier then other but most of them lose pretty bad they are usually shocked to see other kids outdrive their kids 2 to 1. The worst is sometimes those kids actually cry. You almost always see the grandparents slink away never to seen again.

That is not a good introduction to junior golf. The only tournament I ever seen worse was a top golf tournament that put 6 year olds against 14 year olds and called it a tournament.

9 hole US Kids tournaments are much better experience. For new kids I would love to see more team format with scrambles out there so it not as much pressure. Years ago I played this format with my kids and it really took a lot pressure off everyone.

I'm trying to introduce my kids to golf, not "junior" golf.

If kids are melting down because they're losing, that's something that they're going to have to deal with. That's part of youth sports.

My daughter got smoked out of local qualifying last year - outdriven 2 to 1 by the best players. But she had fun and is excited to try again next year. When our club hosted the regional qualifying a few months after she got bounced out of the local event, she could not have been more excited to go to the club and cheer the other kids on.

I'm missing something.

You aren't introducing them to the game. You are introducing them to a 3 drives, 3 chips, and 3 putts. It would be like taking a kid to a batting cage once a year for 5 minutes and say that you introduced them to baseball. It isn't even close. Introducing them to the game would be spending money to help with local tournaments and lessons.

I'm missing something.

My daughter got smoked out of local qualifying last year - outdriven 2 to 1 by the best players. But she had fun and is excited to try again next year. When our club hosted the regional qualifying a few months after she got bounced out of the local event, she could not have been more excited to go to the club and cheer the other kids on.

This is the point. She isn't excited to play tomorrow, she is excited for 9 shots next year. Introducing a kid to 9 shots is not introducing them to the game.

I'm missing something.

You aren't introducing them to the game. You are introducing them to a 3 drives, 3 chips, and 3 putts. It would be like taking a kid to a batting cage once a year for 5 minutes and say that you introduced them to baseball. It isn't even close. Introducing them to the game would be spending money to help with local tournaments and lessons.

I disagree with this. This is a good start for many kids. All kids start the game of golf by hitting some balls at a range or putting, this just builds upon that. If your kid is elite, then it's probably not the best option. Playing in an actual tournament is intimidating to some and dcp is a low-key way to see if golf is enjoyable. To a point made earlier it may not grow junior golf tournaments, but it can grow the game of golf which means less golf courses closing due to low use. By definition, more people playing means growing the game of golf.