2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ryder Cup disappointment

jimb6golf

The US, and the PGA Tour, really need to rethink their strategy going into the next Ryder Cup. The bomb and gouge mentality doesn't work when the courses are set up with tight fairways and deep rough. The stat for fairways hit was in the European players favor and proved to be the winning strategy, along with a strong desire to win from their players as well. Disappointing for the US this time, but hopefully they can change their strategy. A few talking points include:

* Pick players that really want to be there. Sure seemed like a lot of players were unenthusiastic or just tired from the Fed Ex cup playoffs.

* Learn to work together, especially on foursomes. Simply asking your partner where they would like the ball (left or right side of the fairway, what type of putt do they favor, etc.) would seem to go along way.

* Change the format to combine the Ryder Cup and President's Cup as there are too many of these competitions and they take away from the difference from the normal tour schedule.

Congrats to the European players and let's hope the US can rally next time.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "pick the players that really want to be there" is the key. We need a true team, not an all star team.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think "pick the players that really want to be there" is the key. We need a true team, not an all star team.

Makes all the difference.

Terminate anybody over 30 with a losing record. For the next RC, that would eliminate:

Tiger

Phil

Bubba

Rickie

And a bunch of guys over 30 with bad records that might play well enough to make the team by 2020.

Team will be young and hungry overall.

the PGA Tour, really need to rethink their strategy going into the next Ryder Cup.

Without wishing to be overly precise, the PGA Tour doesn't have any strategy to think about going into the Ryder Cup. Beyond observing what is going on (and presumably getting some pretty sweet free tickets) the PGA Tour has nothing to do with the Ryder Cup, it comes down to the PGA of America and that in itself might be part of the problem.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Terminate anybody over 30 with a losing record. For the next RC, that would eliminate:

Tiger

Phil

Bubba

Rickie

And a bunch of guys over 30 with bad records that might play well enough to make the team by 2020.

Agree. Unfortunately Bubba a Rickie were auto qualifiers. I wouldn't expect Bubba to in two years but who knows. I'm sure Rickie will be on there. Personally I don't think he should be on the team. He's dreadful at match play

While I agree completely and have posted such over the weekend on the bomb and gouge tactic making u.s. tour players inferior golfers - the pga tour is absolutely not going to change the style of play required on their tour to facilitate a once every two years event that they have zero to do with.

Bomb and gouge with free relief from anything remotely in the way has made these guys exceptional PGA Tour players. It has made them inferior golfers.

While I agree completely and have posted such over the weekend on the bomb and gouge tactic making u.s. tour players inferior golfers - the pga tour is absolutely not going to change the style of play required on their tour to facilitate a once every two years event that they have zero to do with.

Bomb and gouge with free relief from anything remotely in the way has made these guys exceptional PGA Tour players. It has made them inferior golfers.

Stop with the 'inferior golfer' hyperbole. It's just silly. I believe Poulter got relief from a 'French drain' yesterday after he bombed it past DJ.

It would be nice to have a captain with his pulse on the relationships between the players and who has insight on the course they will be playing. It seemed like neither of those was evident for the US team last week. It would also be good if guys didn't suck.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Tiger

Phil

Bubba

Rickie

Agree. Unfortunately Bubba a Rickie were auto qualifiers. I wouldn't expect Bubba to in two years but who knows. I'm sure Rickie will be on there. Personally I don't think he should be on the team. He's dreadful at match play

I'm saying,

No more auto qualifying if you are over 30 and have a losing RC record. Under my system, It's the opposite,

Auto-disqualifying

The only way to make the team if you are over 30 is if you have a winning record or it's your first time.

It's a basic way to screen out people who have done well during the season but have not performed in the RC.

You get it right. Or, youre terminated ; )

hqdefault.jpg

America needs something like a Task Force !

It could help by finding a winning formula,

Lol. That's good stuff right there.

I think they just need to make more birdies.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

As an Englishman this was a fantastic tournament to watch. The captain's picks were a huge difference maker but ultimately this comes down to two things.

1) Quite simply, the Europeans have a greater will to win. Individually, and as a team, they simply click into another level when it comes to matchplay & representing a banner.

2) The PGA tour is setup to only play one kind of golf - ultra long tee shots, ultra wide fairways, barely any penalising rough, then hit a wedge on. It is barely golf as we know it - these guys have little to no need for a long iron - it's just driver, short shot, ad infinitum. Now, there are a few exceptions - Spieth and Woods can handle a links course with the best of them, but as a rule, DJ etc are conditioned to only play boring long PGA courses. There is almost no variety to them whatsoever. They also have no ability to putt on anything that isn't a dead -13 on the stimp. They struggled to adjust to slightly slower greens all week. On the European tour they play exceptionally diverse courses from links through parkland and everything inbetween.

The USA needs to learn that whilst the PGA Tour is the daddy, golf is a sport played around the world in all its glorious forms, and until they learn to adapt, adjust and develop, they'll only succeed in Ryder Cups played on their specific courses. Europe have the ability to turn up in the USA and win, because of a willingness to learn and adapt.

I should add, I want the USA to succeed - the best Ryder Cups are the closely contended ones.

Luckily, I think Tiger, Phil and Bubba will all fail to qualify in 2020. I love Tiger as a vice captain and captain in moving forward, but he needs to forgo a playing role moving forward. He just isn't a good fit for the format aside from singles where he has a winning record.

I think having guys that want to be there is going to be crucial. Assuming Charlie Hoffman and Kevin Kisner are close to form they would both be on my team. They loved being a part of the President's Cup team and both spoke extremely highly of the experience. They want to be there.

Your nucleus for the next several is going to consist of DJ, Brooks, JT, Speith, Fowler and Reed. Fowler has a losing record, but he's a locker room guy and I think he wants to be there. I'd be fine with having him back despite past failures.

My roster assuming everyone is in form and healthy would be as follows:

DJ

Brooks

JT

Speith

Reed

Fowler

Hoffman

Kisner

Xander

Snedeker

Patrick Cantlay

Kyle Stanley

Captain: Tiger Woods

Vice Captains: Davis Love III, Steve Stricker, Matt Kuchar, Freddy Couples and Phil Mickelson

Callaway GBB Epic 9* Fujikura 62 Green X-Flex
Callaway GBB 15* Fujikura 62 Green S-Flex
Titleist TSr3 19* Hybrid Tensi 1K Black X-Flex

4i Titleist T350 (2* weak) True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

5-6i Titleist T200 (1* weak) True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

7i-9i Titleist T150 True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

Titleist Vokey SM9 Brushed Steel 46.10 F (1* strong) True Temper DG Black Onyx S200

Titleist Vokey SM7 Brushed Steel 50.08 F, 56.10 S (1* strong), 60.14K True Temper DG Black Onyx S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium Two Newport (1999)

As an Englishman this was a fantastic tournament to watch. The captain's picks were a huge difference maker but ultimately this comes down to two things.

1) Quite simply, the Europeans have a greater will to win. Individually, and as a team, they simply click into another level when it comes to matchplay & representing a banner.

2) The PGA tour is setup to only play one kind of golf - ultra long tee shots, ultra wide fairways, barely any penalising rough, then hit a wedge on. It is barely golf as we know it - these guys have little to no need for a long iron - it's just driver, short shot, ad infinitum. Now, there are a few exceptions - Spieth and Woods can handle a links course with the best of them, but as a rule, DJ etc are conditioned to only play boring long PGA courses. There is almost no variety to them whatsoever. They also have no ability to putt on anything that isn't a dead -13 on the stimp. They struggled to adjust to slightly slower greens all week. On the European tour they play exceptionally diverse courses from links through parkland and everything inbetween.

The USA needs to learn that whilst the PGA Tour is the daddy, golf is a sport played around the world in all its glorious forms, and until they learn to adapt, adjust and develop, they'll only succeed in Ryder Cups played on their specific courses. Europe have the ability to turn up in the USA and win, because of a willingness to learn and adapt.

I should add, I want the USA to succeed - the best Ryder Cups are the closely contended ones.

I agree with your first point in a big way. The Euros want it more than the US and it shows. That's why we need guys that want to be there.

I also agree with the fact that the PGA Tour is set up for bombs and birdies. However, they aren't going to change so captains picks will be crucial for the US. They'll need to pick guys that hit fairways not additional bombers. While Tony Finau wanted to be there and played well, he wasn't what the US needed. They needed a guy who can hit fairways, not a JV version of Brooks and DJ.

The Captain going into 2020 needs to realize that maybe the most deserving guy isn't the right guy. The team needs to be formed with the right pieces not the prettiest ones.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* Fujikura 62 Green X-Flex
Callaway GBB 15* Fujikura 62 Green S-Flex
Titleist TSr3 19* Hybrid Tensi 1K Black X-Flex

4i Titleist T350 (2* weak) True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

5-6i Titleist T200 (1* weak) True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

7i-9i Titleist T150 True Temper Project X 6.5 Taper

Titleist Vokey SM9 Brushed Steel 46.10 F (1* strong) True Temper DG Black Onyx S200

Titleist Vokey SM7 Brushed Steel 50.08 F, 56.10 S (1* strong), 60.14K True Temper DG Black Onyx S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium Two Newport (1999)

Tiger seemed VERY sedated at the presser. Captain? Not for a while yet

I wasn't disappointed in the Euro's winning (Danish and Brit/Scots bloodlines)

I was disappointed that it wasn't closer .. .way more exciting.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

America needs something like a Task Force !

It could help by finding a winning formula,

Perhaps a Task Force that's led by those that have actually won more Ryder Cups than they've lost? I know those players are starting to die out, but it seems the like the current Task Force led by Ryder Cup losers didn't really have it all figured out.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or LA Golf Trono 7 

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

Finau played great and he should have been there. Xander and Kisner of the types of guys you need out there as well just because of their style of play. Phil shouldn't have been a pick and should have been an assistant captain. Tiger should only play best ball and singles.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

For me, as a golf fan and a golfer, the Ryder Cup is unwatchable. Every two years I try like hell to put away the disgust that I have for the open jingoism these matches seem to inspire and am so worn out by the end of the first round that I am left with merely checking scores at the end of the day.

Even this great course played this year couldn't override my hatred of the behavior of the "fans" and the players.

Frankly, it will be a great day in European/American relations when Ian Poulter becomes too old or too inept to lift a golf club and he is merely the tip of the iceberg behavior wise.

I agree with your first point in a big way. The Euros want it more than the US and it shows. That's why we need guys that want to be there.

I also agree with the fact that the PGA Tour is set up for bombs and birdies. However, they aren't going to change so captains picks will be crucial for the US. They'll need to pick guys that hit fairways not additional bombers. While Tony Finau wanted to be there and played well, he wasn't what the US needed. They needed a guy who can hit fairways, not a JV version of Brooks and DJ.

The Captain going into 2020 needs to realize that maybe the most deserving guy isn't the right guy. The team needs to be formed with the right pieces not the prettiest ones.

Finau is always top 3 in most birdies and eageles on tour. He can put, hit it deep...

I think the real JV guy was DJ. Guys had the yips with the putter all year. He is the prototypical PGA guy...just bombs it, uses his strength out of the rough...

Personally think the EURO guys are skilled and grew up playing in more diverse conditions.

The US, and the PGA Tour, really need to rethink their strategy going into the next Ryder Cup. The bomb and gouge mentality doesn't work when the courses are set up with tight fairways and deep rough. The stat for fairways hit was in the European players favor and proved to be the winning strategy, along with a strong desire to win from their players as well. Disappointing for the US this time, but hopefully they can change their strategy. A few talking points include:

* Pick players that really want to be there. Sure seemed like a lot of players were unenthusiastic or just tired from the Fed Ex cup playoffs.

* Learn to work together, especially on foursomes. Simply asking your partner where they would like the ball (left or right side of the fairway, what type of putt do they favor, etc.) would seem to go along way.

* Change the format to combine the Ryder Cup and President's Cup as there are too many of these competitions and they take away from the difference from the normal tour schedule.

Have you ever considered that maybe the American's just don't really care about a team Exhibition that comes around every two years? Maybe it is that simple? Have you considered that maybe the American's design their schedule, priorities and practice around the Majors? Because golf is an individual sport with individual accolades...i think people are reading a little too deep into this...i find it troubling that the likes of Ian Poulter, Colin Montgomerie, Lee Westwood, Paul Mcginley, Thomas Bjorn, and Sam Torrance need to beat their chest every two years because they lose sight of the fact that they never closed the door in a Major and need to rely on others to do their bidding for them...Did Brooks Keopka, Dustin Johnson or Phil Mickelson look like they gave a damn this week?...the answer is no...because they let their majors do their talking for them...

"Hey Bryson, would you rather take a drop from the pond on the left, or hack one out of knee deep grass on the right?"

Have you ever considered that maybe the American's just don't really care about a team Exhibition that comes around every two years? Maybe it is that simple? Have you considered that maybe the American's design their schedule, priorities and practice around the Majors? Because golf is an individual sport with individual accolades...i think people are reading a little too deep into this...i find it troubling that the likes of Ian Poulter, Colin Montgomerie, Lee Westwood, Paul Mcginley, Thomas Bjorn, and Sam Torrance need to beat their chest every two years because they lose sight of the fact that they never closed the door in a Major and need to rely on others to do their bidding for them...Did Brooks Keopka, Dustin Johnson or Phil Mickelson look like they gave a damn this week?...the answer is no...because they let their majors do their talking for them...

I had considered it, then I remember how much you enjoy beating golfing no marks in the Presidents cup. So having considered it, I realized it was stupid. What you don't like is accepting you aren't the best. Dont worry, Jason day et all will be back to feed your egos in 12 months :)

Seems like the armchair captains/QBs have not realized that the Euros played great and deserved to win. US players had time to walk the course, plot a strategy, etc. and failed to either do so, or execute something beyond bomb and gouge.

MAYBE the USGA and PGA Tour will learn something.....if you grow the rough where it's actually penal to be in, maybe players will go back to trying to hit the fairway....I doubt it but wouldn't that be amazing?

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Tiger

Phil

Bubba

Rickie

I'm saying,

No more auto qualifying if you are over 30 and have a losing RC record. Under my system, It's the opposite,

Auto-disqualifying

The only way to make the team if you are over 30 is if you have a winning record or it's your first time.

It's a basic way to screen out people who have done well during the season but have not performed in the RC.

You get it right. Or, youre terminated ; )

hqdefault.jpg

ages of European Ryder Cup captain's picks

Paul Casey 41

Sergio Garcia 38

Ian Poulter 42

Henrik Stenson 42

age didn't seem to be a problem for them.

Justin Rose is 38

Francesco Molinari is 35. He was 0-4-2 in two previous Ryder Cups.

Alex Noren rookie is 36

Don't think age is the problem for U.S. team, it's desire. The U.S. team is a bunch of individuals placed together for 1 week for an event which happens every other year. I honestly do not think Tiger loses a moment of sleep over this loss. He doesn't care that much.