Missed an 8 footer on 18 for birdie and a 79 (I’ve never broken 80)... what are your heartbreaks?

dxdgenert

Years ago, my wife was newer golfer and had never broken 80. We got to the 18th hole and she had about a 20 footer for a 77. It was above the hole and there was a falloff just past the hole. She was cautious and left the putt for 77 about 4 feet short. Her putt for 78 caught an edge with too much speed and caught the downslope past the pin which left her 15 feet. Her putt for a 79 was just short and she made the tap in 4th putt for an 80. She did eventually break 80 on a regular basis, but it was another year before she broke through.

2 weeks ago playing in my first club event. Play lights out... lead after day 1... tied for lead after day 2. Was told it would be a match of cards to determine the winner. Go into the lounge and start watching football... and drinking beer pretty fast. After an hour and a half the pro comes in and tells me " lets go... its a 3 way playoff" Get to the tee feeling pretty buzzed.. have 50 members following us. Ended up battling until hole 8 where I lost. Still kicking myself for not verifying the procedure before I started drinking like a fish. Hole 1 my only thought was do not miss

I'm also convinced that my subconscious thinks I'm a bogey golfer, because despite putting together several good holes, I manage to walk off with a bogey round.

Any ideas you how to fix this bogey mentality?

The short answer is start expecting to be better than bogey. Of course, easier said than done.

My approach, FWIW, is this. I know I can’t not think about score. So, I manage that three ways:

1. Focusing on hitting good shots rather than on “birdies” and “pars.” Enough good shots and the birdies and pars take care of themselves. Also, helps me keep from steering the ball for a score and locking up.

2. If I can’t keep numbers out of my head, I just play three hole rounds during my 18 hole round. 1-3, I was even par, great! Now that one is over and on to the next one.

3. If I’m having good holes, getting birdies, I don’t think I better protect that birdie I try to think “this means I’m going to get more birdies.” A friend of mine played a number of years back in a pro-am with a journeyman pro. The pro knocked down 3 or 4 birdies pretty quick and my bud told him to save some for the real tournament. The pro said, “naw, gotta get birdie horny.” Meaning, if you get a couple you should start thinking I want more, more, more.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

I played at my home course, alone on Monday and was hitting pretty horrible drives out of the heel from the start. After the 7th hole (which is next to the clubhouse) I very nearly walked to the car as although I was only +3 gross (which is on h/c), it felt like I was all over the place, it thankfully I stuck at it and ended up playing holes 8-13 in -1.

Then, as I got to the birdie putt on 14, the realisation that maybe a level par round was up for grabs suddenly hit me, and as my previous lowest is +3 at my old course and +6 here, suddenly the nerves started to jangle a little.

Unfortunately I lipped out from 12 foot on 14, just missed birdie putts on 16&17 and stood on the 18th tee knowing that with it being a 430 yard dogleg par 4, that getting my second ever eagle for a par 69, probably (ahem) wasn’t going to happen, thoughts changed to playing it safe for as low as I could finish........

Of course, cue a good drive but into a fairway bunker, a heavy bunker shot, a duff and a double bogey 6 to end with a 73.

Sorry for the long post, I just felt like this summed up golf perfectly...a best ever round at a new club, and yet I still left feeling like golf kicked me in the you know whats.

What surprised me the other day (when all I needed was a bogey on an easy 18th to shoot 79) was how fast everything started to move. I hit a decent drive but ended up in a fairway bunker with a bad lie. But I decided to try to hit a hero shot, or at least get close to the green to ensure the bogey. That of course led to a poor out which left me buried under very thick bermuda rough, still 100 yards from the hole. Could only manage to squib one out from there but of course left myself a poor angle for the wedge into the green. Hit a tentative wedge into a green side bunker and basically knew it was over then. So of course I almost holed out the bunker shot because I stopped "thinking" and just hit.

Off the tee, I could have hit an iron to avoid that bunker but I didn't of course (overthought it and got greedy). Could have taken my medicine out of the bunker and hit to a spot that left a wedge shot into a good angle to the green...but didn't of course. Even the chunk and run out of the rough...I should have just chunked it out instead of trying to go for the green...could have still left myself a putt at bogey. I was a moron at every step of the way, and I remember how "rushed" I felt, which is so stupid in golf. That said, I didn't have to hit bad shots at each step either. My lie out of that fairway bunker wasn't that bad...most decent golfers could have hit a good shot from there. My wedge shot into the green was the right play, but for some reason I was tentative with it and hit it left. A decent shot there and I would have still had a putt for my bogey.

This all happened after a nifty birdie on #17. I just don't know what the right answer is...play your game and forget the rest?, play "smart" and safe?, hit iron off the tee to avoid bunkers?, etc etc. Stop overthinking everything and just find a shot, commit to it, hit it, and move on?

"I just don't know what the right answer is...play your game and forget the rest?, play "smart" and safe?, hit iron off the tee to avoid bunkers?, etc etc. Stop overthinking everything and just find a shot, commit to it, hit it, and move on?"

I think the answer is "play your game, commit to the shot, embrace the results good or bad and move on". I've found that 9/10 times that I regret a shot selection it's because I went against my "gut instinct". In my experience, most of the time your initial assessment of the shot when approaching the ball is the one to go with. It's gonna be the shot you see naturally in your mind and will be the most comfortable. If you're going to go against that gut instinct shot - do it for a very specific purpose and commit 100%. If you choose the shot for a well thought out reason but fail to execute you'll be able to live with the results.

Really the only shots I regret are the ones where I go against my gut instinct and the reasoning behind it was rash/indecisive/bad strategy. Example - you're playing well but you just made a mistake on the previous hole. You're on a tough hole and have a downhill/hook lie and the pin is tucked in the right side of the green BUT god damn it you're going to hit a high fade 5 feet from the hole and show this course who's boss - then you skull it 100 yards, are pissed off and now have to regain composure and scramble to try and get a realistic putt for par. You instantly regret not hitting the shot that the course was giving you into the middle of the green and for failing to realize that you're playing well forget the one bad shot you hit, just keep playing your game and be patient for the right situation to play aggressively.

15 foot putt from the fridge for birdie. The putt hits dead center back of the cup. Ball ends up on the back lip of the cup and stays.

Would of been the first time shooting par(72) for the course. Ended up with 73. Won a big pot in the money game that day so the sting was rather diluted.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

15 foot putt from the fridge for birdie. The putt hits dead center back of the cup. Ball ends up on the back lip of the cup and stays.

Would of been the first time shooting par(72) for the course. Ended up with 73. Won a big pot in the money game that day so the sting was rather diluted.

Unless you have the 18th green running through your kitchen, that must have been a hell of a lot longer than a 15 foot putt... Congrats for getting it to tap in distance! :taunt:

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Breaking 80 is the toughest barrier to pass for any player. I'd even go to say that breaking 70 has less mental significance. But once you do it you'll be doing it all the time.

Funny thing is that when I first broke 80, I knew exactly what I was doing. I had a putt for bogey on the last to shoot 79, from 8 feet. Drained it in the middle. You just got to learn to deal with pressure and let it fuel you, rather than screw you up. I play better under pressure, not worse. You should too.

My heartbreak story was when I almost shot 74 on a par 71. I was only three over through 17 holes, and only had to par the last. Hit driver in the trees. Now, instead of playing safe and pitching out, though I had a wide opening, I didn't see a branch above me. I'm a high ball hitter, and I hit a full 6 iron that struck the branch and traveled 40 yards. I then tried to slice a pitching wedge, and missed the green, though in the right position. I flubbed a chip, hit my next one on the green, and two putted. Shot 77, which was still my lowest ever, but was extremely disappointing.

It's golf my friend, it's golf. Keep going, you'll get it.

Unless you have the 18th green running through your kitchen, that must have been a hell of a lot longer than a 15 foot putt... Congrats for getting it to tap in distance! :taunt:

Lol, I just now noticed that.

Regional open qualifier 2000 .

Was 1 under through 16 was told that wouldn't be low enough to get to nationals. Finished 3putt 3putt by hitting first putts too aggressively.

Level par got to the national ...

Gutting ! Grrrrrrrrr..........

Not at Orsett by any chance were you ? I got through to Final Qualifying in 2000 at Orsett after shooting level or 1 under from memory.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Shot a 101 the other day..... 58-43, always shoot in the 40s for 9, but can never put together 18. Blew up the front was totally discouraged and almost ready to call it quits. My buddy got me laughing and on we went to the back, couple poor holes to start then I think I made par on the last 5 or 6 holes straight for a 43 (36,36 par 6500yds) So a proper track compared to some of the locals we play. I've never broken 100, like mentioned above I can never link together 2 good 9s..... tally up a 101 hahaha maybe before the seasons up.

Sucks because I know there was at least half a dozen maybe 10 strokes on the front that were unnecessary, mental game weak af, but was proud to stick it out and have a solid back 9.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Missed a vanilla 3’er to send Madison and I to a national mixed BB event in Vegas.

The last putt on the last hole of the last tourney that I would Play.

I’ve replayed that putt thousands of times in my mind’s eye since then.

That was the only time that I missed?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 4 weeks later...

Club match play bracket to get to the final 4. Played terrible on the front 9 and was 2 down at the turn. Kept battling and won 10, 11, 13, and 14 to flip it to 2 up with 4 to play.

Long par 5 for the 15th hole. Perfect drive and perfect layup about 30 yards short of the green. Proceed to chili dip not only my first chip, but also my second chip. Not sure how that happened but I lose the hole. 1 up.

16 is a par 3 uphill about 200 yards. I stick one to 5 feet, pin high. Playing partner has 50 feet for bird. Crushes his putt. Going 15 feet past. But it smacks the back of the hole, pops straight up, and lands 6 inches from the hole. I can still easily win the hole with a bird. Baby my putt and the break takes it right. Unfortunate halve. That was big and I knew it.

17 is a long par 4. Number 1 handicap so I have to give him a shot. He makes 4 for a 3 so I lose the hole. All square going to 18. What a disaster.

I crush my drive but tug it a little left. Fairway bunker with a pretty decent lip. Catch it a little thin and it hits the lip and pops up about 40 yards into another fairway bunker. He’s on the fringe with 25 feet for bird. I hit the best fairway bunker shot of my life for my third and stick it to about 4 feet. He misses and taps in for par. Knowing I needed to make it to go back to Hole 1, I played it left edge and hit it firm, especially after babying my birdie putt on 16. Well of course this one doesn’t turn and it lips out. Match over.

Went from 2 up with 4 to play to losing 1 down on 18. Smh. He didn’t beat me, I beat myself. Been thinking about it all day. I’ll be better next year and won’t let that happen again. Ughh

Lost Michigan HS DII state final by 1 my sophomore year. Bogeyed the 2nd to last hole.

Lost club championship before starting professional career 2&1 in final match after being qualifying medalist from the previous day and #1 seed.

Missed passing my PAT on the first try by 1 stroke after being +1 through 27 holes. Missed a 10 footer on the last for bird. Rough final 9, had a neck issue & got real windy.

Hey MJ didnt make them all either, you take the good with the bad, Ive had some good ones too!

If you shot 80 you can certainly break it, and will. Work on the short game, where most of your strokes will be taken. Good luck!

Callaway

I suck so breaking 90 makes the round more fun. I've broken 90 many many times but carding an 89 just feels better. Need PAR on 18 for an 89.

Forced 210 carry over water leaves 160 in but vicious headwind means it has to be a really solid strike or it's in the drink. I'm not hitting it very solid (I never do) so I resign myself to bogey and play the bail up the right. Hit the layup to 100 yds then miracle of miracles I leave a 6 footer with a 4" left to right break for PAR. I can make this.

I'm salivating as I strike the putt perfectly online, then... noooo! It slides by on the low side. If I would have hit it 6" past the hole instead of 3" it would have held it's line but it was not meant to be.

The highs and lows of golf. Addicting, yet maddening.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Thought I had my 3rd hole-in-one as the ball flew 130yds straight in the hole & bounced straight out landing 6ft away :(

I did make the putt for birdie though.

Been there, done that exact scenario right down to making the 6' birdie. I still don't have a hole in one.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Just last week. Playing in 4 day better ball we were playing like garbage so I pretty much checked out. Pretty long par 5 I hit two of the greatest shots of my life. Super hilly green and I end up on the correct level. With a 10 footer for eagle... slightly downhill. Ball stopped a half rotation from going in.... i laughed and said oh well this is my week. Turns out the skins had carried over from the previous two days. That putt was for 4500 dollars.

missed a ton of 8' birdies on 18 to shoot 79. b/c i was lagging and didn't want to shoot 80.

8.5 g400 lst atmos black 6s (set at 9.2)
16 cally 816 rombax 7w06s (set at 15n)
19 adams xtd atmos blue 8s

4 tm790 modus3 130s

6-8 tm760 modus3 130s

9-p mp20 modus3 130s
50, 54 cobra mim modus3 130s
58 14K sm9 modus 125s

61 scratch sti lbe dg spinner + 
hex t bb0 or spider x chalk

I shot a 1 over 72 on my home course a few weeks ago and realized after the round that 2 missed putts totaling maybe 7ft cost me breaking par for the first time ever. Still a good round for me but pretty bummed after the fact.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Heartbreak? I got your heartbreak right here, people.

A month ago I bought a house next to a golf course so I could spend the remaining years of my life playing as much as possible. Last Sunday, I was walking around in the dark, fell down the stairs, and cracked a vertebrae in my neck. I may never be able to play again.

As a 16 year old playing off 8, I played in a club comp. The front nine was my problem and sure enough, 6 over at the turn - 41. Came back in 30 strokes (4 under thanks to a red hot putter), but agonisingly lipped out from 20 feet at the 18th for 29. Still won, but the glory of 29? Never been near it since.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG