Best club in your bag

Over the years most of us have bought, sold, thrifted, gifted and just out right found hundreds, if not thousands, when you include the “hoards “ that a few of our members have come across. My question is “What is the one club that made its way into your bag and stayed due to it’s outstanding service?”

Mine is this Wilson Dual wedge. Gotta be the heaviest swing weight I’ve ever played, no idea what it actually measures, but, feels around E0-1 to me. Great club that inspires confidence every time it’s pulled for duty.

Do you have one, and if so, how ‘bout sharing a photo.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This:

Found at a thrift store recently for 99 cents. Has stayed in the bag since. It must be the weight & shaft. It let's me take it back nice and easy, and I seem to accelerate thru the ball much better with it thay any other wedge I've played. It would take something pretty special to knock it out of the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

It has to be either my 1958 Wilson staff dynapower sand wedge, or my T945 MacGregor super eye o matic 1 wood. Both picked up at the arc for less than $2 each. The sand wedge has the sole stampings damn near worn off, and I think all the Wilson wedges from this era have steam shovel swing weights, mine is an E-0 as well. But lordy, it's automatic. Great feel and distance control, and out of the sand it's a monster. The Mac my girlfriend found and I refinished, its a c-8 at 44 1/4 in, stiff shaft, and it's.... Perfect. Love to see the shocked faces when I pull it out, followed by incredulous gaping when I hit it past my partners 460cc noisemakers. High power fade and suddenly I'm jack Nicklaus, ready to pull my 1 iron and go for a par 5 in two :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a picture handy, but it would be my Wilson Original 600 Geo Low putter. Supposedly a close copy of the one Nicklaus used for most of his majors. Mine was made in 1980, still has the original leather grip which is no longer conforming. Were it not for this, it would still be in my regular bag most of the time.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

I don't have a picture handy, but it would be my Wilson Original 600 Geo Low putter. Supposedly a close copy of the one Nicklaus used for most of his majors. Mine was made in 1980, still has the original leather grip which is no longer conforming. Were it not for this, it would still be in my regular bag most of the time.

Not the Sportsman's Geo Low? :)

Is this close?

All-Original-RH-Wilson-Golf-ORIGINAL-600-FORGED.jpg

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I wish I could say I had one. I like all my clubs fine but don't feel I'm automatic with any of them.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

My sm2 vokey set in sig

Longest service until she broke was a ping TiSi tec 5w. Speeder 952 shaft f10 hosel. Must of bagged for 10 years. Crazy long

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The 2 iron in every set I play that has one!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 1 month later...

Assuming you mean favourite club to use, I would say it's my George Johnson 'Rustless Mashie Niblick' - an outstanding chipping club around the green as well as a reliable pitching club from 125 yards and in. Given a half-decent lie I only have to look at the target and make a confident swing, and the ball mysteriously appears within a few feet of the hole. I am often tempted to bag it with my Mizunos and modern frying pan driver on competition days, but don't want to run the risk of getting DQ'd for using a (potentially) non-conforming club.

"Modern" set I'd struggle to choose between a Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood and Ram Zebra Z7 putter (a mid 90s version of the Zebra). Both are permanent fixtures in an ever changing bag.

P&B, would have to nominate my Paul Gibson Hand Made persimmon 6-wood ... just a great club off the deck for 175-190 and for long par 3s.

In the hickory bag, I have a few hardy survivors from my first ever bag of hickory originals back in 2012 ... a Bulldog (fairway wood) by W.Jeffery of Saunton GC, a dot-faced Tom Stewart Mashie by W.Hallam, Ormskirk, and a dot-faced Stewart Spade Mashie by JC Smith & Sons of Monifieth. Until yesterday, there was a 4th club, but sadly my lofted driver, which was a second option off the tee if the lower-lofted one was mis-behaving, and which was also a club I could hit very well off the deck, died a sudden death on the 5th tee last night. It's now on paperweight duty ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

"Modern" set I'd struggle to choose between a Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood and Ram Zebra Z7 putter (a mid 90s version of the Zebra). Both are permanent fixtures in an ever changing bag.

P&B, would have to nominate my Paul Gibson Hand Made persimmon 6-wood ... just a great club off the deck for 175-190 and for long par 3s.

In the hickory bag, I have a few hardy survivors from my first ever bag of hickory originals back in 2012 ... a Bulldog (fairway wood) by W.Jeffery of Saunton GC, a dot-faced Tom Stewart Mashie by W.Hallam, Ormskirk, and a dot-faced Stewart Spade Mashie by JC Smith & Sons of Monifieth. Until yesterday, there was a 4th club, but sadly my lofted driver, which was a second option off the tee if the lower-lofted one was mis-behaving, and which was also a club I could hit very well off the deck, died a sudden death on the 5th tee last night. It's now on paperweight duty ...

These misfortunes can be fixed by someone who knows how. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My best club has always been LW at 36" length and E0 SW followed closely by 2 iron. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My driver, without doubt. Its getting on now but it mainly goes straight... Too scared to change it

What's the driver?

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

The best club in my bag is easily my 1950’s H&B Mars 70 putter. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 when I was living in LA in 2004. I soon as I rolled it I knew it was the one.

I remember playing the Metropolitan Golf Links in Oakland with my buddy and we got paired up with a couple of guys that definitely had money. On the 1st green one of the guys commented on my putter, saying something along the lines of “how the hell can you putt with that thing” as he pulled out his spaceship sized mallet. I missed my 8-footer which probably made the guy laugh, but on the second green I sunk a 40 foot putt and then putted lights out the rest of the round. That was so damn gratifying to wield a 60 year old club and putt much better than the rich guy with his $300 putter.

I played it up until 2008 when I put away my clubs for 6 years to focus on work, a new house, and having kids.

When I got back to the game in 2014, I needed new clubs as I had sold my Becu Eye 2’s, so I bought some Maltby forged cavity back irons and a new putter as I bought into the idea that a new putter could help my game a bit with the new tech. Well I went through Anser style, Mallet style, boutique, High MOI, etc., and my putting was just awful.

Finally, I just put the old faithful back in my bag and my putting was back on point. My first round with it back in the bag I had a streak of 5 one putts in a row. I don’t know if I’ve ever done that before.

So, it’s now back in the bag for good. I don’t know what’s gonna come close to kicking it out at this point.

592f91db144260b877f82cf12f186479.jpg

508b6eb2d440d721f595f9f00436cd4a.jpg

This is an interesting thread and I've been ruminating on it in my head for a week or two. I guess if you made me choose one I'd go with my MacGregor MT2W aluminum insert driver...but if you didn't make me then I would not choose anything to stay in my bag permanently.

I think sometimes I get a performance boost (short term only, for sure) from changing out clubs. Especially so with the putter but also from iron sets and woods.

Does anybody else feel this way? Anybody have a theory on why this might be so? Maybe its just a mental refresher. Or maybe I'm just mental. Or I get bored easily. But it always has seemed to me that the longer I played with the same putter the more its performance suffered. Then I switch to putter B and get an immediate boost...but after several rounds with the new putter, eh not so much. So then I switch to putter C and go through the same pattern. Eventually I cycle back to putter A and find that the magic has returned!...briefly.

I think there's something about changing things out that is stimulating to the brain somehow, possibly causing a new or improved focus. Maybe its a different visual look at address, or different kinesthetic feel of the grip, or different club length or heft. I don't really know, its just a theory.

My neighbor with whom I play most of my golf is completely the opposite. He never changes his clubs. Especially his putter. And I know that, until he lost it recently, he'd been playing with the same sand wedge for 20 years. I could never do that. And I could never settle on a Bag For All Seasons.

We'd been playing together for two years when I showed up several weeks ago with a set he'd never seen, my '62 Hogan Power Thrusts. I promptly shot a 74 with them, right out of the gate, my best score in years and about 8 shots better than my norm. I also was employing a long putter that I had not touched in at least 5 years. Both the irons and the putter were nearly perfect.

His line to me was, "You better keep those in the bag." My reaction was along the lines of, "Meh, I'll ride this pony while its frisky. Then I'll find something else."

Yeah, I'm probably mental.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend