P770? No love?

Kale_m

My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.

I agree with everything you said, except the hybrid. I got rid of my all my P790's too and I actually love the P770 4 iron too, it is much more consistent in distance and holds the greens where the P790 is a rocket launcher that might be fine off the tee, but is very inconsistent with distances when hit to a green. I sent my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, driver and 3w to Continental Golf and had them made matter black and it blew away the M3's.

What shafts are you using in woods and hybrid? Asking for a friend

I went from the Callaway Apex CF16 to the p770 and for me it was a great choice. So far, I’m not hitting more greens and my scores haven’t dropped, but I have accomplished he main goal when getting these irons. I wanted to eliminate the left side of the course and hit less pulls and hooks and I have checked that off my list. I’m still adjusting to having to hit one more club on most holes, but I haven’t been to range to yet this year to dial them in. One thing I can say, when I catch them clean and in he center of the club face they are every bit as long the Apex. So it’s more of a swing issue than a club issue. I’m catching too many iron shots heavy.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.

I agree with everything you said, except the hybrid. I got rid of my all my P790's too and I actually love the P770 4 iron too, it is much more consistent in distance and holds the greens where the P790 is a rocket launcher that might be fine off the tee, but is very inconsistent with distances when hit to a green. I sent my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, driver and 3w to Continental Golf and had them made matter black and it blew away the M3's.

Again, I don't have much golf in on the P770's but I can tell that they are a great fit. I went to a demo day on Sunday and worked with the Taylormade guys (for a third time with the same guys) and of course I had to hit their demo P730 9 iron and 5 iron they had sitting there.. definitely nice looking and feeling clubs, then they told me how a couple of mini-tour guys were playing P730's and switched back to the P770's.

Before I picked up the P770's I had demoed the P790 7 iron on a couple of sims, and although I liked hitting it, the distance was that of my 6 iron. Before my surgery I went to a local demo day at a Golf Galaxay with Taylormade there, after trying their P790, P750, and P770's I figured the P750's or P770's would be the ones to hone in on. I lucked out and found a new set of P770 component heads and had a set built up.

What shafts are you using in woods and hybrid? Asking for a friend

2017 M2 10.5° with UST Elements Chrome 6F5T, untipped, @ 45", D2, 270 CPM's

2017 M1 15° with UST Elements Chrome 7F5T, tipped 1", @ 43:, D5, 279 CPM's

2018 M3 Rescue 19°, Tensei Blue 80HY, stiff, @ stock length & tipping, 280 CPM's

I used to play xstiff thru the bag, but find my swing is slowing down a bit, and with the post surgery issues playing stiff works fine. Now only the driver and fairway are "labeled" xstiff, even though they frequency close to stiff.

I've had my set of P770s for almost a year now and I am still really happy with them. In the meantime I added a P790 3i. They are dramatically different clubs. I can mishit the 790 and have a relatively decent outcome. While the 770s are forgiving, they will def punish off-center strikes more.

It's pretty simple, if you're a decent player who struggles with distance, get the 790s. Anything else, look at the 770s, the 750s, or (gasp) the 730s (which are faptastic). I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything but long irons in the 790s for all the reasons already mentioned.

I came from Mizuno for the previous 10 years or so, the 770s have a nice soft feel. A bit less purity to the feel than the Mizunos but nobody would say the 770s are clicky or harsh by any stretch. They sound nice and feel nice. They really are an underrated and overlooked club.

• 1 month later...

Debating ditching my mp18 mb for the P770..

Am I crazy?

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Am I crazy?

Yes and no,

Your blades are going to give you more control and better feel. The 770 are forgiving and long not too mention they feel good. So I can see where you would be in a dilemma. You have a set up that is already paid for now, is spending the additional money on 770's going to make you happier and play better. They are TM's best CB irons to date. I think you would have remorse if you off'ed the mizzies. I made the choice as I had both, the mizzies stayed and I could not be happier

Don't see these mentioned on here often.

Ppl loving these still? On my radar for an off season purchase

We fit a few players for the TaylorMade P770s. Many think that the P770s feel a little hard. The P750s are supposed to feel softer. However, it could just be the demo heads.

If you need more information, click here ------------------> http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/sp/taylormade/taylormade-p770-p750-tour-proto-irons-3.html

My 770's are butter.

Am I crazy?

Yes and no,

Your blades are going to give you more control and better feel. The 770 are forgiving and long not too mention they feel good. So I can see where you would be in a dilemma. You have a set up that is already paid for now, is spending the additional money on 770's going to make you happier and play better. They are TM's best CB irons to date. I think you would have remorse if you off'ed the mizzies. I made the choice as I had both, the mizzies stayed and I could not be happier

Yes true. When I am hitting it well off the tee I don’t have to hit many irons. I find the mp18’s plenty forgiving for my higher swingspeed.

Hit a few shots in my tourney this weekend that required a flighted down trajectory And these were really easy to do that with.

With baby #2 coming I am wondering if I need MORE forgiveness..

Oh ponder mode.

Tri-hot double wide 

Am I crazy?

Yes and no,

Yes true. When I am hitting it well off the tee I don’t have to hit many irons. I find the mp18’s plenty forgiving for my higher swingspeed.

Hit a few shots in my tourney this weekend that required a flighted down trajectory And these were really easy to do that with.

With baby #2 coming I am wondering if I need MORE forgiveness..

Oh ponder mode.

After reading your last post I came up with a new formula that people should use to decide what class of iron to buy.

No Kids = MB’s

1 Kid = Players Iron

2 Kids = Game Improvement

3 Kids = Super Game Improvement

4 Kids = A New Hobby

I should copyright the above.

• 3 weeks later...

Few more swings today with my buddies set. Feel softer then my ap2. But are thicker .

I think the new mp18 sc look bigger then both the 770 and the ap2.

I am a scratch handicap but do like some help on the off days.

Hmm decisions

Would like to find a used set but hard to find the rift set with the right shafts

I'm getting fitted for a set this week with my only reservation being the forgiveness slightly less than my old Adams CB2s. Love the look and feel and will just have to make more consistent strikes. Playing off 4 now. One curious thing, and it could be the lofts or the shaft length (my CB2s were fitted to me when I had a very upright stance and swing so they're like 3/4" longer through GW---the Adams from like almost 10 years ago fly further for me than the 770s. Still, like Bobby Clampett said in his article, he doesn't care how far the particular iron goes (so long as he can hit the next longer iron as accurately).

Good luck!

Taylormade 700 series irons are really solid. Really enjoying the 770s and 790 long irons

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Taylormade 700 series irons are really solid. Really enjoying the 770s and 790 long irons

I bought the 770’s last fall. Now, after using them this spring and part of the summer, I must say that I am very happy. They are a little smaller than my old Mizuno MX 200’s (I liked them as well), forgiving and more workable than the Mizunos. They are just right for me.....not too big, and not too small. Count me as very happy with the 770’s!

Op here ..

Ditched my mp18’s and was on the fence with getting p770 but went with 716 cb and the 4/5 iron in the tmb. Look better and feel better to me then the mp18 and the p770

Tri-hot double wide 

Op here ..

Ditched my mp18's and was on the fence with getting p770 but went with 716 cb and the 4/5 iron in the tmb. Look better and feel better to me then the mp18 and the p770

Congrats! I need to see them in action

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• 2 months later...

Have a question: I went to TM for a fitting and am going to purchase the 770's. They recommended the nippon ns pro 950gh shaft. The numbers, spin, ball speed etc. were the best. But i can get a deal with the modus 105 shafts. Do you guys think there would be a real difference? I know the modus supposedly fly slightly lower and spin less. Thanks (I'm an older 3 index who hits my irons quite well)

Have a question: I went to TM for a fitting and am going to purchase the 770's. They recommended the nippon ns pro 950gh shaft. The numbers, spin, ball speed etc. were the best. But i can get a deal with the modus 105 shafts. Do you guys think there would be a real difference? I know the modus supposedly fly slightly lower and spin less. Thanks (I'm an older 3 index who hits my irons quite well)

https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_950gh.php

https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_modus_105.php

When you did the TM fitting, did you try both shafts and was there a reason why you and they determined the 950gh was better?

https://nipponshaft....steel_950gh.php

https://nipponshaft....l_modus_105.php

When you did the TM fitting, did you try both shafts and was there a reason why you and they determined the 950gh was better?

Thanks for your reply. They determined this was the best shaft for my launch height saying my launch could be slightly higher. No they didn't compare with the modus. But I can get a slightly used set of 770's with a modus shaft for 600 bucks less, so I was wondering if I would see 600 worth of improvement. I've asked the fitter at TM if I can come back and compare the numbers. (he said the difference in shafts is the modus is slightly heavier and would launch slightly lower) Would I even notice a difference?

I certainly don’t think anyone would have problems getting a high flight with these!

I really like mine....even sold my 718 AP2’s after picking these up

Only problem is the KBS FLT along with the head go so so high.....may restart them with DG S300 to try and keep them down

Great feeling head, awesome minimal offset.....only criticism would be the 9 &PW top lines are a bit thick

I just upgraded from RSi TPs to P770s, and have had mixed results, but sticking with the 770s.

It was a radical shaft change, so I'm going to give it a little more time before I give up. Went from KBS TourV X-stiff Soft-stepped 1x to True Temper Tour Concept Regular Hard-stepped 1x. I still have the KBS TourVs if this experiment ends up not working out. I seem to be spinning the 770s a lot more robbing me of some distance, but it is consistent throughout the set, so maybe it's a shaft thing? Also, if things work out otherwise, I can just adjust to the reduced distance and club up as long as it's consistent.

I will say, I was a huge believer in the "Face Slots" on the RSis, but these 770s seem even more forgiving, so maybe that was a placebo effect?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I switched shafts on my 770s. I went to Nippon Modus3 120 Stiff. I added 1.5" wooden dowels in the tip, half in the and half above it and they feel amazing. They were great before, but now they fantastic.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

• 5 weeks later...

I am glad to see some people are still liking their sets, I got fit into my P770s at Club Champion 1.5 years ago and have never gotten along with them. I know its the indian not the arrow but I really wish I had gone with something else.

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

I am glad to see some people are still liking their sets, I got fit into my P770s at Club Champion 1.5 years ago and have never gotten along with them. I know its the indian not the arrow but I really wish I had gone with something else.

I'm glad I didn't go with something else. I used mine all year with success and tried to switch to Mizuno 919 Forged and Tour Combo, but now my 770's are definitely staying in the bag! I hit them way better than I thought I did until I had something to compare them to. I love the 770's, they have a great ball flight, clean look and my distance control is spot on no matter what the conditions are.

Felt great, looked nice in the bag, but every time I looked down at the short irons I couldn't stand the look. The toe side of these heads look completely different than the Mizunos I've been used to for so long. Sole was a lot wider than what I like as well. Head weights on the 7xX irons seem to be really light as well and doing my own build, swing weight was a nightmare.

Picky, but I just didn't like them.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've had mine in the bag (with some different shaft experiments) since late August/early September, so 6 GHIN revisions, and Index has gone from 6.9 on 08/15 to 4.8 as of 11/01, and it's all due to hitting more greens and making more birdies due to proximity to hole on GIR. Also doesn't hurt that missed greens are usually pin high, maybe just pulled or pushed, but usually leaves a simple up and down chip instead of some ridiculous flop/bunker shot.

Now that I'm really getting accustomed to the shafts I settled on and getting distances dialed in, over the last few rounds I've shot a few of my lowest scores in several years (shot a 73 with a quad a few weeks ago :angry22: ). Forgiveness is awesome, "feel" is awesome, and I'm getting adjusted to them much quicker than I figured I would. Also, now that I'm adjusting to the new shafts, distance is back and about a club longer than previous set I've played for a few years (RSi TPs).

Long story short - I'm LOVING mine, and they aren't going anywhere for the foreseeable future!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank