D/C/P event ruining golf

2

Comments

  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    edited Oct 2, 2018 #32
    raynorfan1 wrote:



    You aren't introducing them to the game. You are introducing them to a 3 drives, 3 chips, and 3 putts. It would be like taking a kid to a batting cage once a year for 5 minutes and say that you introduced them to baseball. It isn't even close. Introducing them to the game would be spending money to help with local tournaments and lessons.




    I think you're too wrapped up in the competition itself. My kids come out and practice and play golf so that they can participate in D/C/P.



    I suppose there are parents out there who focus their kids on just those three skills / events because they're so focused on "winning".



    "Winning" D/C/P to me is getting my kids excited about being out on the course practicing. I don't really care how they do in the actual competition.




    I think the reason a lot us don't like DCP is around april through may all I hear from old guys on the range or the course is boy your daughter should be on DCP because she can really hit that ball and then go on to tell me about kids they seen on TV that couldn't hit as far. Not too many of them know that the driving portion is the least important as far scores go. Even the putting and chipping portions are flawed because usually the odds at making in the hole are actually very low for even the best players.





    Over the years I simply learned that who makes it to Augusta is very random because it really is luck once you pass the locals.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,568 ✭✭
    If I thought that the point of D/C/P was to identify a set of elite junior golfers, I would 100% agree that it's a poor approach. To HeavyHitter's comments - it's 9 shots, in controlled conditions, that don't have a ton of relevancy to playing tournament golf. If we were picking the Ryder Cup team based on D/C/P results...that would suck (but maybe not have a worse outcome...).



    If you think the point is to get kids out on the course and range enthusiastically working on their skills, regardless of outcome, I think it's a big win. Where it falls apart IMHO is when guys are telling their kids that "if you work hard enough, you'll make it to Augusta" - there's too much randomness in the format.
  • dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭
    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........
  • ctmason_98ctmason_98 TOTALLY outta the bag... Members Posts: 1,827 ✭✭
    I can’t be the only a-hole thinking, “took you all weekend to come up with that?”



    I would only offer this. Consider what USGA and PGA of America also give to Get Golf Ready, Special Olympics, First Tee, AJGA and PGA Junior League Golf for context.



    You’re talking about DCP as if it exists in a vacuum. And your title about ruining Golf is asinine. And from your post seems pretty clear you don’t even believe that.



    Oh and your comment about the PGA Tour giving that amount to DCP...also incorrect. It’s the PGA of America.



    In sum, you’re misrepresenting the issue badly.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I don't know anything about Drive Chip Putt



    I am trying to understand why "growing the game of golf" is important



    Where I live outside NYC if you play on a public muni course 18 holes is a minimum 5 hours



    On some parts of Long Island I heard 6 hours are typical



    Many parents say their kids lose interest because it is so slow



    It seems if golf were less popular among the hoi polloi rounds would be much faster



    And it might actually be better for the players who are committed to competing and playing at a high level
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,495 ClubWRX
    Let's look at the negative impact on Lucy Li from D/C/P.



    Youngest qualifier for the Women's US AM.



    Youngest qualifier for the USWO.



    On the winning 2016 Junior Ryder Cup team.



    She was the low AM in the 2017 ANA Inspirational.



    On the winning 2017 Junior Solheim Cup.



    Qualified for the 2018 USWO.



    Played on the 2018 Curtis Cup team.



    On the winning 2018 Junior Ryder Cup team.



    The poor girl clearly lost her passion for playing after D/C/P or did the competition fuel her to get to a higher level? She's probably not a fan of popsicles, anymore either.
  • ctmason_98ctmason_98 TOTALLY outta the bag... Members Posts: 1,827 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:


    I don't know anything about Drive Chip Putt



    I am trying to understand why "growing the game of golf" is important



    Where I live outside NYC if you play on a public muni course 18 holes is a minimum 5 hours



    On some parts of Long Island I heard 6 hours are typical



    Many parents say their kids lose interest because it is so slow



    It seems if golf were less popular among the hoi polloi rounds would be much faster



    And it might actually be better for the players who are committed to competing and playing at a high level




    Your strategy and thoughts are (in my experience) what the vast majority of older golfers think but don’t say. And no, I’m not calling YOU old. I don’t care what your age is.



    And, like those people, you’re being phenomenally myopic.



    To demonstrate, does it make sense if I say, “God this McDonald’s drive thru is always packed!!! I wish they had a bunch fewer customers, then it would be much better.”



    No, then the McDonalds is GONE. Or during down times they close the franchisee’s other location that this one was Propping up. OR...the price on your McDouble is now $3 I stead of $2. And you’re complaining more.



    If you don’t care about “growing the game,” that’s fine. But at least he honest and say you want what’s good for YOU, not for golf.



    And don’t ever open your mouth about preserving the history of the game or the honor of the game, etc. Because you don’t care.
  • Event^HorizonEvent^Horizon Members Posts: 71
    In my experience, kids involved in D/C/P are avid golfers too.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,106 ✭✭
    dmac4g wrote:


    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........




    This is where you are wrong. The DCP only has eyes on the event because of the Master's. People aren't tuning in to watch the DCP.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,495 ClubWRX

    dmac4g wrote:


    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........




    This is where you are wrong. The DCP only has eyes on the event because of the Master's. People aren't tuning in to watch the DCP.




    I watch it and it has nothing to do with the Masters. Having coached kids in baseball for 25 years, I enjoy watching them try to do their best on a big stage.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,495 ClubWRX
    leezer99 wrote:

    DavePelz4 wrote:


    dmac4g wrote:


    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........




    This is where you are wrong. The DCP only has eyes on the event because of the Master's. People aren't tuning in to watch the DCP.




    I watch it and it has nothing to do with the Masters. Having coached kids in baseball for 25 years, I enjoy watching them try to do their best on a big stage.




    You have to be kidding. It's boring watching my own kid during DCP, I can't imagine it's more entertaining watching other people's kids. We even know some past winners and didn't watch those years they were on.




    I watch cooking shows too...guess that just makes me a terrible, boring person.
  • EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Most adults don't have the attention span to focus on a full round of golf, and kids even less so.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,063 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #44
    TigerMom wrote:


    I don't know anything about Drive Chip Putt



    I am trying to understand why "growing the game of golf" is important



    Where I live outside NYC if you play on a public muni course 18 holes is a minimum 5 hours



    On some parts of Long Island I heard 6 hours are typical



    Many parents say their kids lose interest because it is so slow



    It seems if golf were less popular among the hoi polloi rounds would be much faster



    And it might actually be better for the players who are committed to competing and playing at a high level


    Yikes can you ever see beyond the end of your nose? Dictionary.com could take this verbatim as an example of myopic.



    More people being interested in things and doing things is how those things thrive; including golf.



    Edit: I see CTMason got there before me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,106 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

    DavePelz4 wrote:


    dmac4g wrote:


    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........




    This is where you are wrong. The DCP only has eyes on the event because of the Master's. People aren't tuning in to watch the DCP.




    I watch it and it has nothing to do with the Masters. Having coached kids in baseball for 25 years, I enjoy watching them try to do their best on a big stage.




    You have to be kidding. It's boring watching my own kid during DCP, I can't imagine it's more entertaining watching other people's kids. We even know some past winners and didn't watch those years they were on.




    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.
  • dmac4gdmac4g Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭
    Since my earlier opinion was wrong, I might as well jump in with wrong opinion #2. Would your disdain for the event have anything to do with your child not advancing to Augusta? Might your tune about the event be a little different if they did?



    No matter how much you personally dislike the event, there is nothing else that comes close for viewership. I hear more talk at the club about D-C-P than any other junior event. I think the exposure is good for the game and the kids involved. Just my opinion, which I am sure is wrong...........
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,495 ClubWRX
    dmac4g wrote:


    Since my earlier opinion was wrong, I might as well jump in with wrong opinion #2. Would your disdain for the event have anything to do with your child not advancing to Augusta? Might your tune about the event be a little different if they did?



    No matter how much you personally dislike the event, there is nothing else that comes close for viewership. I hear more talk at the club about D-C-P than any other junior event. I think the exposure is good for the game and the kids involved. Just my opinion, which I am sure is wrong...........




    DMac, we'll start our own thread where we think D/C/P is a good thing. I guess I'm a really bad person for having driven 2 hours to watch my son only get into a couple of games when the outcome was decided and they played for 2-3 minutes.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,063 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:




    I watch cooking shows too...guess that just makes me a terrible, boring person.




    No I don't think that is it. It's the Ksigs image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,063 ✭✭


    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.




    And here we have it: the catalyst for the thread. Really should have put that in the OP.

    Would think you'd show up in time to walk from the car park to the event with you child so you could enjoy it with him or at least cheer him on even if you don't want to be there, watch some other kids hit, and have a nice time.

    But it seems the main concern is the inconvenience of the 'wasted' 2h 15min and trying to find a parking spot. That's unfortunate.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    ctmason_98 wrote:

    TigerMom wrote:


    I don't know anything about Drive Chip Putt



    I am trying to understand why "growing the game of golf" is important



    Where I live outside NYC if you play on a public muni course 18 holes is a minimum 5 hours



    On some parts of Long Island I heard 6 hours are typical



    Many parents say their kids lose interest because it is so slow



    It seems if golf were less popular among the hoi polloi rounds would be much faster



    And it might actually be better for the players who are committed to competing and playing at a high level




    Your strategy and thoughts are (in my experience) what the vast majority of older golfers think but don't say. And no, I'm not calling YOU old. I don't care what your age is.



    And, like those people, you're being phenomenally myopic.



    To demonstrate, does it make sense if I say, "God this McDonald's drive thru is always packed!!! I wish they had a bunch fewer customers, then it would be much better."



    No, then the McDonalds is GONE. Or during down times they close the franchisee's other location that this one was Propping up. OR...the price on your McDouble is now $3 I stead of $2. And you're complaining more.



    If you don't care about "growing the game," that's fine. But at least he honest and say you want what's good for YOU, not for golf.



    And don't ever open your mouth about preserving the history of the game or the honor of the game, etc. Because you don't care.




    I never said it was good for the "golf industry" if casual slow players stopped playing



    But it WOULD be good for players who are serious about playing regularly and improving but who may not be able to afford a private club membership



    Those muni courses are not going to close down if hackers stop playing
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    TigerMom wrote:

    ctmason_98 wrote:

    TigerMom wrote:


    I don't know anything about Drive Chip Putt



    I am trying to understand why "growing the game of golf" is important



    Where I live outside NYC if you play on a public muni course 18 holes is a minimum 5 hours



    On some parts of Long Island I heard 6 hours are typical



    Many parents say their kids lose interest because it is so slow



    It seems if golf were less popular among the hoi polloi rounds would be much faster



    And it might actually be better for the players who are committed to competing and playing at a high level




    Your strategy and thoughts are (in my experience) what the vast majority of older golfers think but don't say. And no, I'm not calling YOU old. I don't care what your age is.



    And, like those people, you're being phenomenally myopic.



    To demonstrate, does it make sense if I say, "God this McDonald's drive thru is always packed!!! I wish they had a bunch fewer customers, then it would be much better."



    No, then the McDonalds is GONE. Or during down times they close the franchisee's other location that this one was Propping up. OR...the price on your McDouble is now $3 I stead of $2. And you're complaining more.



    If you don't care about "growing the game," that's fine. But at least he honest and say you want what's good for YOU, not for golf.



    And don't ever open your mouth about preserving the history of the game or the honor of the game, etc. Because you don't care.




    I never said it was good for the "golf industry" if casual slow players stopped playing



    But it WOULD be good for players who are serious about playing regularly and improving but who may not be able to afford a private club membership



    Those muni courses are not going to close down if hackers stop playing




    Another conversation but golf is not going to go anywhere. The issue is demographics. Baby boomers were retiring and getting older were taking up golf are now starting to get too old to play golf. There are less people behind them in the next generation and the millennials are in their 20's so they simply are too busy to take up golf. I know when kids were first born golf was the last thing on my mind.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,908 ClubWRX

    dmac4g wrote:


    Drive, Chip and Putt has put more eyes on Junior Golf than any local tour ever would. It amazes me how many people like to complain about how other people spend their money or where a company chose's to make charitable donations. The snow and cold must be just around the corner and golf season coming to a close........




    This is where you are wrong. The DCP only has eyes on the event because of the Master's. People aren't tuning in to watch the DCP.




    I'll admit. Watching DCP on TV is boring AF. That said, I did watch last year since one of our friends was competing and actually won his age. I also enjoy being at the Regionals primarily because of the venue and all of the media around. The locals and subs are pretty meh....
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,106 ✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:



    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.




    And here we have it: the catalyst for the thread. Really should have put that in the OP.

    Would think you'd show up in time to walk from the car park to the event with you child so you could enjoy it with him or at least cheer him on even if you don't want to be there, watch some other kids hit, and have a nice time.

    But it seems the main concern is the inconvenience of the 'wasted' 2h 15min and trying to find a parking spot. That's unfortunate.




    LOL... This is what you get out of it. A sarcastic, yet partially true post is a catalyst of the thread of an event my kid won first place in? Nice try but a very weak attempt at a post trying to **** me. It couldn't have been any of the reasons I have already posted.



    It is a huge waste of time. This event is the epitome of the everyone gets a trophy philosophy. You literally drive a couple of hours for 9 shots and a free towel or some other gift if you don't win. 9 shots that take a total of 5 minutes to perform in a competition that is just as much luck as it is skill. My kid realized it two years ago and decided he would do the same thing that most of the better players in the country do which is not to partake in this recreational event anymore. He knows his time is better spent working with his coach, practicing at our facility, or playing in a meaningful 36 hole two day event.



    Anyhow, thanks for trying. Come again soon.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,568 ✭✭

    duffer987 wrote:



    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.




    And here we have it: the catalyst for the thread. Really should have put that in the OP.

    Would think you'd show up in time to walk from the car park to the event with you child so you could enjoy it with him or at least cheer him on even if you don't want to be there, watch some other kids hit, and have a nice time.

    But it seems the main concern is the inconvenience of the 'wasted' 2h 15min and trying to find a parking spot. That's unfortunate.




    LOL... This is what you get out of it. A sarcastic, yet partially true post is a catalyst of the thread of an event my kid won first place in? Nice try but a very weak attempt at a post trying to **** me. It couldn't have been any of the reasons I have already posted.



    It is a huge waste of time. This event is the epitome of the everyone gets a trophy philosophy. You literally drive a couple of hours for 9 shots and a free towel or some other gift if you don't win. 9 shots that take a total of 5 minutes to perform in a competition that is just as much luck as it is skill. My kid realized it two years ago and decided he would do the same thing that most of the better players in the country do which is not to partake in this recreational event anymore. He knows his time is better spent working with his coach, practicing at our facility, or playing in a meaningful 36 hole two day event.



    Anyhow, thanks for trying. Come again soon.




    I don't disagree with any of your arguments; just your ultimate conclusion.



    I wholeheartedly agree that D/C/P contributes almost nothing to the development of elite (or even top 50%) junior golf "talent".



    I fully agree that it's an event that is highly dependent on luck over skill.



    Where you lose me is in concluding that what it does bring - a bunch of new kids interested in golf - is somehow bad for the game. Or that the resources devoted to attracting these net-new players would somehow be better served by increasing the investment in the "top" 5% of junior golfers. Honestly, I'd like to see more emphasis on grassroots, broad appeal programs and less on AJGA type "elite" events.



    But I get and respect that we have different long-run motivations for our kids.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,106 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:


    duffer987 wrote:



    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.




    And here we have it: the catalyst for the thread. Really should have put that in the OP.

    Would think you'd show up in time to walk from the car park to the event with you child so you could enjoy it with him or at least cheer him on even if you don't want to be there, watch some other kids hit, and have a nice time.

    But it seems the main concern is the inconvenience of the 'wasted' 2h 15min and trying to find a parking spot. That's unfortunate.




    LOL... This is what you get out of it. A sarcastic, yet partially true post is a catalyst of the thread of an event my kid won first place in? Nice try but a very weak attempt at a post trying to **** me. It couldn't have been any of the reasons I have already posted.



    It is a huge waste of time. This event is the epitome of the everyone gets a trophy philosophy. You literally drive a couple of hours for 9 shots and a free towel or some other gift if you don't win. 9 shots that take a total of 5 minutes to perform in a competition that is just as much luck as it is skill. My kid realized it two years ago and decided he would do the same thing that most of the better players in the country do which is not to partake in this recreational event anymore. He knows his time is better spent working with his coach, practicing at our facility, or playing in a meaningful 36 hole two day event.



    Anyhow, thanks for trying. Come again soon.




    Where you lose me is in concluding that what it does bring - a bunch of new kids interested in golf - is somehow bad for the game. Or that the resources devoted to attracting these net-new players would somehow be better served by increasing the investment in the "top" 5% of junior golfers. Honestly, I'd like to see more emphasis on grassroots, broad appeal programs and less on AJGA type "elite" events.






    I don't think we differ that much at all. I don't see the DCP as being the event to bring kids in and maintain them playing the game of golf. I would rather see the money spent on grass root initiatives showing these kids how to Drive, Chip, and Putt so that they will have longevity within the sport. Programs throughout the country that get kids involved in Snag golf at no charge, after school programs teaching them fundamentals, local tournaments to introduce them to tournament style golf. I don't see the DCP as the avenue of promoting the longevity of the sport to the youth.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,568 ✭✭

    raynorfan1 wrote:


    duffer987 wrote:



    I can't watch my kid either. I drop him off at the club drop and by the time I park the truck and walk up he is already done and ready to leave. It still amazes me that I ever traveled two hours round trip for a 15 minute competition. At least sub-regional was only one hour round trip for a 10 minute competition.




    And here we have it: the catalyst for the thread. Really should have put that in the OP.

    Would think you'd show up in time to walk from the car park to the event with you child so you could enjoy it with him or at least cheer him on even if you don't want to be there, watch some other kids hit, and have a nice time.

    But it seems the main concern is the inconvenience of the 'wasted' 2h 15min and trying to find a parking spot. That's unfortunate.




    LOL... This is what you get out of it. A sarcastic, yet partially true post is a catalyst of the thread of an event my kid won first place in? Nice try but a very weak attempt at a post trying to **** me. It couldn't have been any of the reasons I have already posted.



    It is a huge waste of time. This event is the epitome of the everyone gets a trophy philosophy. You literally drive a couple of hours for 9 shots and a free towel or some other gift if you don't win. 9 shots that take a total of 5 minutes to perform in a competition that is just as much luck as it is skill. My kid realized it two years ago and decided he would do the same thing that most of the better players in the country do which is not to partake in this recreational event anymore. He knows his time is better spent working with his coach, practicing at our facility, or playing in a meaningful 36 hole two day event.



    Anyhow, thanks for trying. Come again soon.




    Where you lose me is in concluding that what it does bring - a bunch of new kids interested in golf - is somehow bad for the game. Or that the resources devoted to attracting these net-new players would somehow be better served by increasing the investment in the "top" 5% of junior golfers. Honestly, I'd like to see more emphasis on grassroots, broad appeal programs and less on AJGA type "elite" events.






    I don't think we differ that much at all. I don't see the DCP as being the event to bring kids in and maintain them playing the game of golf. I would rather see the money spent on grass root initiatives showing these kids how to Drive, Chip, and Putt so that they will have longevity within the sport. Programs throughout the country that get kids involved in Snag golf at no charge, after school programs teaching them fundamentals, local tournaments to introduce them to tournament style golf. I don't see the DCP as the avenue of promoting the longevity of the sport to the youth.




    Agree. I see D/C/P as a "top of the funnel" kind of activity to draw in as many kids as possible to become exposed to the game. The more kids who get that exposure, the more will go one to the next level. I also see it as a venue for kids whose parents are not golfers to introduce them to the game in a non-threatening way.



    As a competitive event? It's stupid; though I feel like the Masters hook is a good way to draw in "good" golfers that give it some credibility.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,106 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:






    Agree. I see D/C/P as a "top of the funnel" kind of activity to draw in as many kids as possible to become exposed to the game. The more kids who get that exposure, the more will go one to the next level. I also see it as a venue for kids whose parents are not golfers to introduce them to the game in a non-threatening way.



    As a competitive event? It's stupid; though I feel like the Masters hook is a good way to draw in "good" golfers that give it some credibility.




    This is where we agree. The longevity and health of the game needs to be driven in another way than 9 shots for most of the kids once a year. Use the local DCP initiative to funnel the kids into the local organizations that teach them how to DCP. Let those local organizations help drive and promote the health of the game. The stats on how many people actually get instruction from a Professional is crazy low. This could be an introductory to these kids. Win win for the kids and win win for the PGA Instructors down the road because they get more students.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #58

    raynorfan1 wrote:






    Agree. I see D/C/P as a "top of the funnel" kind of activity to draw in as many kids as possible to become exposed to the game. The more kids who get that exposure, the more will go one to the next level. I also see it as a venue for kids whose parents are not golfers to introduce them to the game in a non-threatening way.



    As a competitive event? It's stupid; though I feel like the Masters hook is a good way to draw in "good" golfers that give it some credibility.




    This is where we agree. The longevity and health of the game needs to be driven in another way than 9 shots for most of the kids once a year. Use the local DCP initiative to funnel the kids into the local organizations that teach them how to DCP. Let those local organizations help drive and promote the health of the game. The stats on how many people actually get instruction from a Professional is crazy low. This could be an introductory to these kids. Win win for the kids and win win for the PGA Instructors down the road because they get more students.




    Jordan Spieth took the initiative at DCP events in North Texas. Not many people know this but anyone who competes in DCP event and not a member of NTPGA junior league his foundation will pay for the first tournament and Yearly membership the first year. North Texas is probably the most active junior area with kids.



    I know this because my youngest got this the first time she did DCP. It covered he yearly membership and first tournament fee. Not sure if others do this but it is a good reason to like Jordan Speith.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,495 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 3, 2018 #59
    tiger1873 wrote:


    raynorfan1 wrote:


    Agree. I see D/C/P as a "top of the funnel" kind of activity to draw in as many kids as possible to become exposed to the game. The more kids who get that exposure, the more will go one to the next level. I also see it as a venue for kids whose parents are not golfers to introduce them to the game in a non-threatening way.



    As a competitive event? It's stupid; though I feel like the Masters hook is a good way to draw in "good" golfers that give it some credibility.




    This is where we agree. The longevity and health of the game needs to be driven in another way than 9 shots for most of the kids once a year. Use the local DCP initiative to funnel the kids into the local organizations that teach them how to DCP. Let those local organizations help drive and promote the health of the game. The stats on how many people actually get instruction from a Professional is crazy low. This could be an introductory to these kids. Win win for the kids and win win for the PGA Instructors down the road because they get more students.




    Jordan Spielberg's took the initiative at DCP events in North Texas. Not many people know this but anyone who competes in DCP event and not a member of NTPGA junior league his foundation will pay for the first tournament and Yearly membership the first year. North Texas is probably the most active junior area with kids.



    I know this because my youngest got this the first time she did DCP. It covered he yearly membership and first tournament fee. Not sure if others do this but it a Reason I Really Like Jordan Speith.




    Did Jordan Spieth get married to Steven Spielberg? I'm so out of the loop.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,076 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

    tiger1873 wrote:


    raynorfan1 wrote:


    Agree. I see D/C/P as a "top of the funnel" kind of activity to draw in as many kids as possible to become exposed to the game. The more kids who get that exposure, the more will go one to the next level. I also see it as a venue for kids whose parents are not golfers to introduce them to the game in a non-threatening way.



    As a competitive event? It's stupid; though I feel like the Masters hook is a good way to draw in "good" golfers that give it some credibility.




    This is where we agree. The longevity and health of the game needs to be driven in another way than 9 shots for most of the kids once a year. Use the local DCP initiative to funnel the kids into the local organizations that teach them how to DCP. Let those local organizations help drive and promote the health of the game. The stats on how many people actually get instruction from a Professional is crazy low. This could be an introductory to these kids. Win win for the kids and win win for the PGA Instructors down the road because they get more students.




    Jordan Spielberg's took the initiative at DCP events in North Texas. Not many people know this but anyone who competes in DCP event and not a member of NTPGA junior league his foundation will pay for the first tournament and Yearly membership the first year. North Texas is probably the most active junior area with kids.



    I know this because my youngest got this the first time she did DCP. It covered he yearly membership and first tournament fee. Not sure if others do this but it a Reason I Really Like Jordan Speith.




    Did Jordan Spieth get married to Steven Spielberg? I'm so out of the loop.




    Looks like it was Spieth ��, but I thought the same thing
Sign In or Register to comment.