Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my best round a month or so ago (77) just started seriously golfing 2 years ago. I had no idea how low I was going but my playing partner kept saying another ho hum par hey. Biggest thing I remember now is most of my approaches were either on the green or in comfortable chipping distance.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

In 95 I won a greater Manchester district championship (on my home course) I was off 3 and had a steady ok first round then ok for the front nine.... Then went bananas! I holed some ridiculous puts to come back in 30 shots and win. I spent the evening in dumb shock, still look at the greens today and wonder how on earth I managed to hole them puts.

I’ve tied my personal best 81 three times. All three felt effortless, I was in a zone, nothing too spectacular in terms of shotmaking and definitely not thinking about swing mechanics.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

Set my new record on Friday using the method recommended on the TG2 podcast on how to learn to score. Set your goal, start at the forward tees, do not move back a tee box till you hit your goal. Then do it again and repeat the process till you are playing the sticks.

My previous best round was a 67 with 2 chip-in birdies at Northshore Golf Club in Orlando back in 2006. My new best round as of Friday is a 66 with 6 birdies, 1 eagle, and 2 bogeys on the card at Mayfair Golf Club in Sanford.

It’s amazing how important driving is to my game now so my new goal is to dial that club in distance wise to a consistent predictable 275 off the tee. I averaged 248 for the day off the tee, but that included a few drives just under 290 and more than a few drives just over 220 so that has to get better. I was just fortunate were the duffs took place and where they landed most of the day (sans the 2 bogeys).

Putted the rock beautifully all day. I think the one thing that stands out now is how I didn’t stress over any putt. Just went through my routine and wondered if it was acceptable to make sure everyone around me understood I birdied (and 1 ).

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Would sum best rounds up more on a physical and emotional level than anything specific in terms of stats.

There sometimes comes this "thing" I can't perfectly describe. If I had to shave it down to one single word it would be "relaxed". Have GOT to believe those who've played this game long enough know exactly what I'm suggesting. I "feel" exceptionally comfortable over the ball. The handle "feels" like it born in my hands. My body is simply hugely relaxed. My emotions are likewise in a state of "calm" that isn't easy to describe.

When this sort of state of being washes over me during golf, there is an absence of little distractions all around me. Virtually nothing said or done by others, no amount of sounds from another fairway or nearby highways... literally nothing seems to remotely be a "thing" in my awareness. And, on those rarest of occasions when this beautiful yet strange "force" is present - it lasts all the way to the 18th green. It's the opposite of the feeling of riding a little wave for a few holes. It's there and it stays there. No anxiety that the wheels will eventually fly off.

It's not any one stat. The stats are an output. They're all seemingly the aggregate result of this physical and emotional state of being I wish I could summons up every time out and on every single stroke. Wish I knew how to better define it and/or how to call upon it.

May the force be with you - lol. All I got.

Just had another of my lowest rounds of 67(-5; 6800, 73/128) and that was with a bogey on a par 5. My career lowest round was a 66 10 years ago when I was playing and/or practicing almost every day. I haven't beaten -2 on 18 holes in years but I've done it 5 of my last 7 rounds since July.

Probably my best round was a 70(-2) at Nemacolin Mystic Rock a month ago. First time playing it, 7526 from tips rated 77/149.

The thing that stands out is that it was easy. I wasn't draining 30footers or knocking down pins every hole(except I hit 4-5 close at Mystic)

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Set my new record on Friday using the method recommended on the TG2 podcast on how to learn to score. Set your goal, start at the forward tees, do not move back a tee box till you hit your goal. Then do it again and repeat the process till you are playing the sticks.

My previous best round was a 67 with 2 chip-in birdies at Northshore Golf Club in Orlando back in 2006. My new best round as of Friday is a 66 with 6 birdies, 1 eagle, and 2 bogeys on the card at Mayfair Golf Club in Sanford.

It’s amazing how important driving is to my game now so my new goal is to dial that club in distance wise to a consistent predictable 275 off the tee. I averaged 248 for the day off the tee, but that included a few drives just under 290 and more than a few drives just over 220 so that has to get better. I was just fortunate were the duffs took place and where they landed most of the day (sans the 2 bogeys).

Putted the rock beautifully all day. I think the one thing that stands out now is how I didn’t stress over any putt. Just went through my routine and wondered if it was acceptable to make sure everyone around me understood I birdied (and 1 ).

How do you have 16 Pars and 7 birdies? Confused on that one

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

Very much as Reasonability describes it, an absence of things not related to intention. What stands out is how effective modest skills were during the four times in 25 years that I experienced playing in the zone.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

How do you have 16 Pars and 7 birdies? Confused on that one

When you start your round you set goals. The app records par or better received as a par achieved, so an eagle or Birdie would count as an equivalent par or better received.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I hit Fairways, Greens & made putts?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Looking back on all my best rounds, there are two factors that were common to all of my "great" rounds:

1.Not Overswinging and getting the ball in good position off the tee.

2.Hitting more greens than normal.

Most of my playing partners would probably tell you that the strength of my game is putting. My biggest mental block is trying to hit too good of a shot. If I could somehow make myself be more conservative off the tee and hit to the safe parts of greens more often, I'm pretty sure I would drop my handicap a significant amount.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Had a golden fortnight this summer when in August I shot a couple of front 9 41's and ultimately an 82 gross (I am an 18 HC)

What I remember is not taking driver to the course for two weeks, using 3 or 5 wood off the tees, playing one club more and swinging slow, holing more putts than normal and feeling CONFIDENT.

It slipped away as quickly as it arrived, though I am more consistent these days

• 3 weeks later...

Shot my best score ever tonight; it was only on 9 holes. 33 on a par 34. It’s a shorter course at just under 2700 yards (it’s an extension to a larger course), but you still have to hit good shots. What stood out was my chipping and putting. If I didn’t happen to get on in GIR, my chipping still gave me a chance to get up and down. 15 putts. 9th hole, par 3, hit pin high into the left rough, chipped it to 8ft, made the putt!

Memorial Day, this year. Played Mile Square Park (Classic), which both me and my buddy never played before. Shot 88.

What worked? Virtually everything: drives, 3W, and wedges (almost always on the correct side of the pin). Water on the right for the short par4? Just hit the draw like I did all day long. Have ~200 left to 18, and guys are mildly in my path? They aren't even afraid of where they're standing and tell me to go for it because I haven't really missed all day.

Would have shot mid 80s if the putter was a little hotter. Even with the all the bird looks, I just couldn't sink one -- probably 7-8 pars (also a record).

What do I remember about my greatest round?

..... I remember that I COULD HAVE coasted down 18 with a tap in Birdie for 69 ....

BUT

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I had to press for Eagle and 68.

Needless to say I Bogeyed and shot 71.

Story of my life.

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

The above, quoted, text, is no longer "the story of my life."

As of 12:00pm Noon, on Friday, October 26, 2018, my Best Round Ever is no longer 70!

No, no, no ....

Not only, did I FINALLY break 70! ... I blew that sh!t UP!

After a round at Keney Park Golf Course in Windsor, Connecticut on Friday, October 26, 2018, my new personal low is 66!

BOOOOOM! 23 years! #WhatAJourney

I remember I didn’t have any expectations for the day. My ball striking was on that day, resulting in being able to keep the ball in front of me. Even my misses landed in safe spots. Putting wasn’t great, but no 3 putts. Played as a single so I was able to play pretty quickly (as the course was dead) and keep a good rhythm throughout the round.

My low rounds ... 80-85 are all played mostly using irons and maybe an occasional 3 wood. As soon I try to go long from the tee, the round ends up destroyed, slicing or hooking into trees several times. Bloody annoying and I just realize that I will never break 80 playing woods as s*** as I am

This aside, for me to be having a good round, the puts have to drop early, giving confidence

Even par 72

No bad misses with the big clubs. Nothing OB. Nothing in the water. Nothing behind a tree. Wasn't striping the fairway, just simply putting the ball in play. As good as that round felt, it's a frustrating reality that for me to play well, it's more about NOT doing stupid things rather than relying on a magical day with the putter or hitting every green in regulation, etc. I'm pretty consistent from 150 and in. The bigger the swing the bigger the issue for me.