BST for junior equipment

jj9000

I don't want my post in the TS3 thread to get lost in the shuffle, so I thought a dedicated thread would help.

I'm surprised there's no BST (Buy/Sell/Trade) sub-forum on this site for the folks that want to Buy/Sell/Trade junior clubs.

If you're on a desktop, you'll see that I have WAY too many BST Transactions in my Feedback (for my own clubs). But, only (1) BST Transaction for junior items

You just don't see a bunch of Junior club posts on the regular BST forum. Seems like each parent would be looking for a place to offload the clubs their kid(s) grow out of, and immediately get into a new set of junior clubs.

Rinse and repeat several times as they grow.

Just brainstorming here in an effort to make this a better site and/or forum.

Edit...I only mention clubs above, but the intent would be to create a spot for all junior equipment (clubs, bags, clothes, shoes, etc.). Really, anything you can think of that's golf related that your kid(s) will grow out of (usually in a month or two).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most junior clubs are in bad shape if the kids use them a lot. This is especially true if there are the lower end kids clubs. For around $200 you can buy most younger kids a set which is more then enough to start them off. I understand that can be a lot of money to a lot people but in the grand scheme of things it really isn’t that much if they are into playing golf or taking lessons.

It is not just kids clubs that get wear either I am surprised how much wear adult clubs get to with my kid. When your hitting probaly a thousand balls a week they tend to look like it after not too long.

Also most people buying in trading posts want equipment that looks like new. I wouldn’t want to sell well worn golf gear on a forum and should be sold elsewhere. Instead I just trade them and take what they give me online or in a store.

I understand your point, and I agree to some extent.

However, so long as you adequately describe the clubs for sale, as well as post pictures of the actual clubs, the market will decide if the price is worth the value, based on individual needs.

It's really the same logic used in the adult BST forum. Clubs that are well-worn are sold day-in day-out over there, as well as clubs that are like-new.

Price and value will dictate whether the junior clubs sell, or if they just sit there unsold.

As much as we go through clubs for our kids, I could see the need for having a junior golf board to by and sell stuff. I've got a couple of things that I would like to sell myself right now to help cover the cost of new stuff that I want to get. I agree with heavy that some of the stuff you can just pass it on to another junior but the nice stuff you could still sell.

This has been hashed out here before. Personally, I see zero resale value un kids clubs. Pass it forward and hand them down to a local organization or a kid that wants to try golf out.

We have passed all of our used sets onto kids in our neighborhood or kids at our club. As kids get bigger and move into adult clubs (when the expense really starts to make sense) then a BST approach applies.

I suppose we could maybe add a filter option for "Junior" items - I'll ask the powers that be - but there's certainly not enough demand to warrant an entire forum. There's really only 2 or 3 listings a year in the BST involving kids equipment.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I suppose we could maybe add a filter option for "Junior" items - I'll ask the powers that be - but there's certainly not enough demand to warrant an entire forum. There's really only 2 or 3 listings a year in the BST involving kids equipment.

Yeah...I agree with you regarding the Demand not warranting an entire forum...especially in comparison with the adult BST.

But, I suspect there are folks on here that either stash their kids clubs away, or, trade them in for pennies on the dollar. I know I have US Kids Yard clubs, US Kids 48" set, US Kids 51" set, and countless putters just sitting in my garage unused b/c they were outgrown.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but, I'd much rather buy and sell from folks on this site than deal with eBay, or pay full price by buying brand-new gear (whether that be clubs/shafts/accessories/shoes/etc).

Just thinking out loud here.

Yeah...I agree with you regarding the Demand not warranting an entire forum...especially in comparison with the adult BST.

But, I suspect there are folks on here that either stash their kids clubs away, or, trade them in for pennies on the dollar. I know I have US Kids Yard clubs, US Kids 48" set, US Kids 51" set, and countless putters just sitting in my garage unused b/c they were outgrown.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but, I'd much rather buy and sell from folks on this site than deal with eBay, or pay full price by buying brand-new gear (whether that be clubs/shafts/accessories/shoes/etc).

I think for starter clubs (ages 4-11), there may be. One kids hit 11, it seems most (at least in the arena we’re in) go to adult clubs.

All depends on the condition of the clubs and how much use. I’ve been able to sell some and others, with more use, I just pay forward.

I’ve got a transitional set of US Kids TS3 60’s (9 irons/steel shafts) that my kid used all of 3 months, 90% on our finely manicured, private course. Hell, even the shaft bands still look new. I am going to sell those?

I've got a transitional set of US Kids TS3 60's (9 irons/steel shafts) that my kid used all of 3 months, 90% on our finely manicured, private course. Hell, even the shaft bands still look new. I am going to sell those

This is a really good example of what I'm talking about.

(3) months of use...almost new gear...and looking to sell.

When my kids first started I looked for used clubs and the problem is I couldn't find a good set that actually fit for sale when I needed them. Usually doing a search on eBay would yield one or two sets that had sold in last few months but I never seen them there at the right time. The times I did see some the price was not worth it to me since for less then $50 difference I could buy a new set. I suppose If I planned ahead I supposed I could find the next size up as they grew.

The problem with golf is for kids the correct clubs are all over the map and the numbers are not really there other sports have less sizes and less equipment to buy. As the kids get older I moved to buying adult clubs used because there were easier to source. Not that I am looking at regular size adult clubs I can get a discount and just buy new ones and they last a while. Not only that the added trade in value of newer sets is about the same as buying used once you sell them club refurbishers who will buy your old clubs. The used clubs are what I buy now for myself instead.

When my kids first started I looked for used clubs and the problem is I couldn't find a good set that actually fit for sale when I needed them. Usually doing a search on eBay would yield one or two sets that had sold in last few months but I never seen them there at the right time. The times I did see some the price was not worth it to me since for less then $50 difference I could buy a new set. I suppose If I planned ahead I supposed I could find the next size up as they grew.

The problem with golf is for kids the correct clubs are all over the map and the numbers are not really there other sports have less sizes and less equipment to buy. As the kids get older I moved to buying adult clubs used because there were easier to source. Not that I am looking at regular size adult clubs I can get a discount and just buy new ones and they last a while. Not only that the added trade in value of newer sets is about the same as buying used once you sell them club refurbishers who will buy your old clubs. The used clubs are what I buy now for myself instead.

To put things into perspective, it's taken me since the time I posted this thread this morning, to right around noon to find and buy exactly what I was looking for my junior golfer.

I did this all via PM on WRX.

The Seller got rid of a set that was just sitting around, and I got what I needed at a fraction of what it would cost if I bought new.

The reason I bring this up is b/c if there was a centralized place to buy/sell junior gear, more Transactions like I cut this morning would happen.

Decisions for junior golfers before they get to professionally fitted, adult clubs. Buy brand new and use only 2-6 months (at most) Or, find used at an appropriate price?

This has been my experience, multiple times. My kid has been playing 6 years. Never got more than 6 months out of a set. One year, he grew through 3 sets and it wasn’t only due to height; he got stronger and graphite was way to whippy. I hope these new, Mizuno forged, get at least a couple years LOL

NEW-US Kids TS3 60” (9 irons)= $410 + shipping

USED- US Kids TS3 60” (9 irons)=$150 + shipping

$260 in difference can buy you 5 dozen tour balls OR, A nice, used adult driver, OR, a couple pair of nice BOA shoes, OR, a nice dinner out with the family.

See what I did there? ?

To put things into perspective, it's taken me since the time I posted this thread this morning, to right around noon to find and buy exactly what I was looking for my junior golfer.

I did this all via PM on WRX.

The Seller got rid of a set that was just sitting around, and I got what I needed at a fraction of what it would cost if I bought new.

The reason I bring this up is b/c if there was a centralized place to buy/sell junior gear, more Transactions like I cut this morning would happen.

Exactly! I had posted awhile back (last year) about a shaft my kid had just started using. One of the members, reached out and asked a question of me. I answered and he asked if I still had the shaft and wanted to sell.

Boom, not only did we make transaction, but, I threw in a second shaft in next highest flex with adapter, because what the heck am I going to do with all my kids used gear???

This has been hashed out here before. Personally, I see zero resale value un kids clubs. Pass it forward and hand them down to a local organization or a kid that wants to try golf out.

I think it depends how you care for them. I’ve always been one to wash and clean clubs after every practice every round etc. recently sold two different sets of one clubs for about $150 each which is t a ton but it does offset buying new clubs a little bit.

How about those that play good stuff and take care of it? Oh i need to sell about 20 nice golf shirts in sz. Small. Would love to see a subforum to sell some stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

I've spoken with Management and we have added a filter for "Junior" items in the BST. So now, if you post equipment for kids in the BST and flag it as "Junior" people should be able to search for your listing on that basis. Hope this helps!

You post your junior equipment in the regular BST like normal, but when you are selecting the categories you can tag it as "Junior Equipment". Then, other members can filter the BST results by listings that are tagged as "Junior Equipment" so that your listing should not get lost in the shuffle.

• 3 weeks later...