2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fortnite and Rickie Fowler

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a little experiment, as I’m amazed at how little focus my son usually has, in practice. He is a very good player and I know can be much better, mainly with adherence to a slower process...assessment, aim, preshot routine (I timed him from afar and his routine was only 10-15 seconds??).

We do not allow Fortnite and he doesn’t have a phone, nor does he need one, as we drop off/pick up from school. He’s going into 6th grade and been begging to play and says everyone plays and it’snot normal, not to?. Yada yada...

In passing before practice, I ask him what he thinks he can shoot on the 18 hole course if he focuses? He says +5-6 ( he’s shot even, once). I tell him maybe with more focus, he can shoot +3? He replies, that’s so hard with the wind! So, I mention maybe I’ll try out Fortnite on my phone, just to see if it is okay for him to play. ?. He throws out, hey Pops if I shoot +3, can I play Fortnite? Hmmm, now, he magically can focus??

Anyway, he goes out and puts up +2, which confirmed my belief that he was lacking focus. He tells me he was extremely focused and it was more stressful than his two-day, state tournaments (because he was trying to go low to maybe get opportunity to play Fortnite), Just as I thought?

I limited him to 30 minutes. Need my carrot. Fortnite??

• 3 weeks later...

Video games: not a good activity for kids

https://www.cnn.com/...ting/index.html

Would never intentionally click on a link from CNN.

These were grown men. Associating a crazy person with all gamers is unrealistic. If that is the case golf isn't a good activity either.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Golfing-attack-prompted-by-fairway-shots-10644597.php

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Would never intentionally click on a link from CNN.

These were grown men. Associating a crazy person with all gamers is unrealistic. If that is the case golf isn't a good activity either.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Golfing-attack-prompted-by-fairway-shots-10644597.php

At northern trust they had a fortnite tent with 20 x boxes right next to the first tee tent. Went to see tiger and spent an hour in that dumb tent.

The naysayers have been crying fowl about games ever since the NES came out in the 80's. I think they were saying Contra and other shooting games would lead to violence.

In Fortnite you don't even kill people. Their is no blood or gore, and sometimes the weapons shoot pumpkins or are fireworks. You just get hurt and then a robot teleports you back to the lobby. No death, no blood, and it's all cartoony with dancing and funny costumes. The social aspect is a blast, being goofy in the game (golf balls/ beach balls/ throwing people off cliffs, etc.) and playground is a lot of fun. I don't think I have laughed as hard in a long time as I do in playground with my kids friends. It really let's kids have a personality and teaches communication. I have zero issues with it. While I don't agree with letting little kids play it too much or at all, it is targeted for 10+ by the way, you just have to be a parent and be involved with your kids. You can't just blame a game for their issues.

Parents spend hours on their phones and also let 3-5 yo use their iphones with "learning" apps. Those two things are far more damaging than letting a 10+ kid play Fortnite.

The naysayers have been crying fowl about games ever since the NES came out in the 80's. I think they were saying Contra and other shooting games would lead to violence.

In Fortnite you don't even kill people. Their is no blood or gore, and sometimes the weapons shoot pumpkins or are fireworks. You just get hurt and then a robot teleports you back to the lobby. No death, no blood, and it's all cartoony with dancing and funny costumes. The social aspect is a blast, being goofy in the game (golf balls/ beach balls/ throwing people off cliffs, etc.) and playground is a lot of fun. I don't think I have laughed as hard in a long time as I do in playground with my kids friends. It really let's kids have a personality and teaches communication. I have zero issues with it. While I don't agree with letting little kids play it too much or at all, it is targeted for 10+ by the way, you just have to be a parent and be involved with your kids. You can't just blame a game for their issues.

Parents spend hours on their phones and also let 3-5 yo use their iphones with "learning" apps. Those two things are far more damaging than letting a 10+ kid play Fortnite.

Fortnite is a great bribe for kids. My kids grade in Geometry dropped to a B. He no longer gets to play during the week until he gets it to an A. Drops below a B in any class and he gets it taken away until the grades come back up. Taking that stupid game away is more important than taking a belt or being grounded in his room.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Fortnite is a great bribe for kids. My kids grade in Geometry dropped to a B. He no longer gets to play during the week until he gets it to an A. Drops below a B in any class and he gets it taken away until the grades come back up. Taking that stupid game away is more important than taking a belt or being grounded in his room.

B students do better long range

• 1 month later...

not a good activity for kids

https://www.usatoday...udy/1486188002/

Everyone here in the junior section is so concerned with making sure their kids aren't growing up too fast and that golf is kept 'fun' but then they'll let their nine year old play a game unsupervised that's rated TEEN (for Violence) by the ESRB. If you're cool with people building weapons caches and shooting down from others from up above why not just let them watch the cell phone videos from the Vegas shooting from the Mandalay Bay?

Cmon now, we both know that this is an EXTREME comparison..

This kid I knew growing up wasn't allowed to play videogames or eat candy. When he got older he would arrange to stay overnight at his friend's houses. He would pull all nighters eating candy and playing videogames like he was on a coke bender or something. Always made me laugh, and always something I remember when parents want to be heavy handed about not doing what their peers are doing. I'm not sure what the point I'm trying to make, but often being too strict back fires. I think that guiding people in the right direction with nuance is the best way to get them on the right path.

not a good activity for kids

https://www.usatoday...udy/1486188002/

It's a meta-analysis. This article proves...nothing. It does show a link to an association in behavior, but it does not prove video games are causative. As the article points out, it is just as likely that kids who are prone to violence...ahem...seek out violent video games.

The new research echoes Hull's previous finding that playing violent games equates to
about twice the risk of being sent to the principal’s office for fighting during an eight-month period
, he said. A separate 2014 study he oversaw of violent video games in 2,000 families is one of the 24 included in the meta-analysis.

The effect is "
relatively small, but statistically reliable
. The effect does exist," Hull said.

While
there's not research suggesting violent video games lead to criminal behavior
, Hull's previous research suggests players may practice riskier behaviors such as reckless driving, binge drinking, smoking and unsafe sex.

"A lot of people ask, do these games really cause these kids to behave aggressively? I would say that is one possibility," he said.
"The other possibility is that it's a really bad sign.
If your kids are playing these games, either these games are having a warping effect on right and wrong
or they have a warped sense of right or wrong and that’s why they are attracted to these games
. Either way you should be concerned about it."

Fortnite is more Wile Coyote than Platoon. Any parent that doesn't see that is either blind, a sheep listening to talking heads, or just flat out hasn't looked into the game at all.

Agreed. Fortnite is super fun and not as violent as people that have never played the game think.

There's no gore, blood. You can win a game without even firing a bullet, technically. In the game modes they introduce, like The Getaway, it was completely possible to win by just being patient.

I did a little experiment, as I’m amazed at how little focus my son usually has, in practice. He is a very good player and I know can be much better, mainly with adherence to a slower process...assessment, aim, preshot routine (I timed him from afar and his routine was only 10-15 seconds??).

We do not allow Fortnite and he doesn’t have a phone, nor does he need one, as we drop off/pick up from school. He’s going into 6th grade and been begging to play and says everyone plays and it’snot normal, not to?. Yada yada...

In passing before practice, I ask him what he thinks he can shoot on the 18 hole course if he focuses? He says +5-6 ( he’s shot even, once). I tell him maybe with more focus, he can shoot +3? He replies, that’s so hard with the wind! So, I mention maybe I’ll try out Fortnite on my phone, just to see if it is okay for him to play. ?. He throws out, hey Pops if I shoot +3, can I play Fortnite? Hmmm, now, he magically can focus??

Anyway, he goes out and puts up +2, which confirmed my belief that he was lacking focus. He tells me he was extremely focused and it was more stressful than his two-day, state tournaments (because he was trying to go low to maybe get opportunity to play Fortnite), Just as I thought?

I limited him to 30 minutes. Need my carrot. Fortnite??

UPDATE:

My 11 yo is learning how to earn his playing time ?

GHIN was 11.3, prior to allowing him to play Fortnite in early August.

Current GHIN, including personal best rounds in tourneys from 6000-6700 yds=8.1.

The decline in HC; could be coincidental, but, I believe Fortnite positively influenced the outcome.

For now, Fortnite works and teaches him that he has to earn the right to play. If he’s not playing particularly well, I reserve the right to allocate time, based on his effort, focus, discipline, perserverance. I throw him a bone, here and there, and he strenghtens his mental game. Like the other day he started off fine and had a couple bogeys back-to-back, but, he grinded and ended with four pars and a birdie. Score wasn’t special, but, A for effort. Win-Win

We could cherry pick studies about many different topics.

Here is a 'study' entitled, "Dark side of being a 'Tiger Mom': Perfectionist parenting style may be detrimental to your child, study says".

https://nationalpost.com/news/dark-side-of-being-a-tiger-mom-perfectionist-parenting-style-may-be-detrimental-to-your-child-study-says

Another study entitled, “Is Plastic Food Packaging Dangerous”.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/26/is-plastic-food-packaging-dangerous

And yet another study entitled, “Is Too Much Homework Bad for Kids Health”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#1

Could find studies that present alternative viewpoints as well.

Somewhere, right now, someone is studying something.

A little 'common sense' can go a long way, unfortunately common sense does not appear to be that common.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My boy's 13. It's a strange time in life for young guys. He loves to practice. But, is avoiding any competition anymore. Thinks about girls a lot. A lot. Worries about crap that doesn't matter. He has autism so I can't complain too much. We recovered him most of the way. Being a father to any boy this age is complicated, it seems. And, lots of people who've never had kids are always eager to give advice. That's always good for a laugh. Maybe I should just get my boy out, like Tiger's dad did, and try to make a few bucks off the men with him...LOL....(somewhat sarcastic there...)

> @BeerPerHole said:

> My boy's 13. It's a strange time in life for young guys. He loves to practice. But, is avoiding any competition anymore. Thinks about girls a lot. A lot. Worries about **** that doesn't matter. He has autism so I can't complain too much. We recovered him most of the way. Being a father to any boy this age is complicated, it seems. And, lots of people who've never had kids are always eager to give advice. That's always good for a laugh. Maybe I should just get my boy out, like Tiger's dad did, and try to make a few bucks off the men with him...LOL....(somewhat sarcastic there...)

Yea some kids just avoid competition. Dealt with that last year. He loved playing scrambles with me or high school, but the individuals was like cutting the grass.

> @TripleBogeysrbetter said:

> Yea once my child posts a 0.1 hdcp or higher I take away all electronics. This is the same when he doesnt have a 4.25 GPA or higher.

> I mean Harvard is watching, right?

You spoil him with electronics? I take away food the second any grade slips below a 93% ... why take chances with leniency. This is my, I mean his, future at stake.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @ZAP said:

> As an elementary school PE teacher I am pretty sure fortnite is the devil. B)

This principal would agree if not for all the bathroom vaping going on.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• 2 months later...

> @vanillafunk616 said:

> This kid I knew growing up wasn't allowed to play videogames or eat candy. When he got older he would arrange to stay overnight at his friend's houses. He would pull all nighters eating candy and playing videogames like he was on a coke bender or something. Always made me laugh, and always something I remember when parents want to be heavy handed about not doing what their peers are doing. I'm not sure what the point I'm trying to make, but often being too strict back fires. I think that guiding people in the right direction with nuance is the best way to get them on the right path.

Strict parents leads to sneaky kids.