2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Breaking 90 - the "easiest" way?

Z1ggy16

#1 reason why I broke 90 today was putting, and basically I did as you said. I wasn't so focused on the perfect line to drain every putt. I tried to focus on the right speed to get the ball really close. I only had one 3 putt the whole round, and I almost holed a 40 footer not even trying to make it.

Didn't really do too much special honestly. Been working on the swing and kept every tee shot except 2 in play. My swing fault (dip rear shoulder) came out and I pushed both into hazard. My biggest weakness by far coming up to today was losing tee shots and 3 putts. Yes short game needs work to get under 80, but it wasn't really costing me shots.

I downloaded TheGrint and I think it tracks SG18 stats, so it will be helpful to give me areas to really focus on.

Did you game with new QST?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me to break into the 80's and stay there is/was/always will be grinding on my game..

This is what I do and YMMV:

18 lessons, twice a week for the last 3 months, with a very good coach

and

3-4 practice sessions/per week of...

---50-100 balls at the range, focusing on technique (this alternated between wedge work of the 7-9-11 swings, regular clubs and ball flight)

---50 balls at the range, focusing on situational shot selection

---10-15 minutes focused on green-side chipping (bump and run, 50/54/58 work and when to choose each)

---20-30 minutes focused on putting (some lag, but living in the 3-10 ft range pretty heavily)

Started this in Apr/May 2018 timeframe (was previously shooting 110-120) and now 4 of my last 7 rounds were in the 80's and just shot an 80 (gross) in a local tourney (with 3 birdies, 2 OB's, 4-5 pars, with far too many lip out bogeys). I regularly play with a buddy who shoots off a solid 4. We haven't played in the last 2 months and he was at a loss for words at how well I play now (his words).

benhays98, Congrats on the low rounds. Besides, practice and repetition. What was the swing thought that took you from 100+ to the 80's? Thanks, Tanner

benhays98, Congrats on the low rounds. Besides, practice and repetition. What was the swing thought that took you from 100+ to the 80's? Thanks, Tanner

I say this as a 12.4HC golfer, who has plenty to improve upon........

I have a 2 part answer for that. Practice and repetition was a large portion of it. Once I developed a "repeatable"-ish swing, it became a trust/self-confidence issue. I needed to step into the thought of "I know what to do here".

On the course, I don't have a swing thought, per se, during the round; I do have a shape/flight/direction thought process in my preshot routine. Once I've made that decision, I go through my setup and swing the club.

#1 reason why I broke 90 today was putting, and basically I did as you said. I wasn't so focused on the perfect line to drain every putt. I tried to focus on the right speed to get the ball really close. I only had one 3 putt the whole round, and I almost holed a 40 footer not even trying to make it.

Didn't really do too much special honestly. Been working on the swing and kept every tee shot except 2 in play. My swing fault (dip rear shoulder) came out and I pushed both into hazard. My biggest weakness by far coming up to today was losing tee shots and 3 putts. Yes short game needs work to get under 80, but it wasn't really costing me shots.

I downloaded TheGrint and I think it tracks SG18 stats, so it will be helpful to give me areas to really focus on.

Did you game with new QST?

Only played one hole with it today. I have another 9 from the other week with them.

I'm not mega in love with them.. at least not enough to replace my Project (a). Mainly feel preference honestly (feels pretty firm, I like softer feel).... Performance on all shots is pretty good although it does spin a little bit low and launch a little bit too high for my eye with wedges. I like to usually club up and really hit mine in there low, so I need more spin. Only reason I'm not in a TP5 or ProV is cost.

I have a 2 part answer for that. Practice and repetition was a large portion of it. Once I developed a "repeatable"-ish swing, it became a trust/self-confidence issue. I needed to step into the thought of "I know what to do here".

On the course, I don't have a swing thought, per se, during the round; I do have a shape/flight/direction thought process in my preshot routine. Once I've made that decision, I go through my setup and swing the club.

Great, it's nice to hear that one can swing their swing with success, as long as they have prepared with a good PSR!

Great, it's nice to hear that one can swing their swing with success, as long as they have prepared with a good PSR!

I also dropped from the 95-100 range with the occasional low 90 to the 80-85 range and did it in a much different fashion. 2 seasons ago I hit a wall in my progress, so pick up a 6 lesson pack with a local trackman certified instructor. He was good, I learned about the swing/ball flight laws/etc, I always made huge improvements on the lesson tee, etc. Unfortunately the improvements on the lesson tee just didnt translate to the course. After those lessons and countless range balls beat, I still scored the same. I decided to get going with Monte online, hit much fewer balls at the range, spent more time in the garage with mirrors and video, spent longer between lessons working on the key issues highlighted in the online lessons. Well in 7 months I shaved 7+ strokes off my index, have nearly shot par for 9 holes twice now, hitting the ball better than ever, and now just waiting to break into the 70s

So for me it wasn't beating balls or learning to deal with a bad swing, it was eliminating fatal swing flaws that resulted in a more repeatable (and powerful) swing

Take a 75% swing with your driver open stance helps restrict turn

Focus on hands being at the target or slightly right of target on all swings at the moment of impact

Do this and you will break 90 next time out

Thanks, N0rs3man. Possibly an awesome gem here.

Just practiced today with an open stance and a 75% swing with the driver. I found that it works well with a slightly open stance. The drives were shorter. But, more consistent.

Hands being at the target or slightly right of target - this makes for a handsy swing. But, again it's more consistent - with less thinking.

Easiest way to break 90 is play 9 holes....

Seriously though, if you can legitimately score in the 90s (no mulligans, playing it down and in) the easiest way to break 90 is more likely a change in mindset than anything else.

Bogey is a good score when trying to break 90. Play for bogey, 18 bogies is a 90, "luck" into a couple pars and it gives you room for a double.

Pump a tee shot into the trees, don't think how do I get this to the pin, think, can I get this near the green. Par 5, think what club can I regularly advance a decent distance on the 2nd shot. Miss the green on a par 3, think, get the next one on the green so I have a chance to 2 putt.

Play a couple of rounds with a different mindset and see what happens.

When I break 90, this is my plan. Play with a plan for bogie. Go for GIR+1 vs only GIR.

Broke 90 again on Sunday. I wasn't playing for Bogey... I really don't think this is the best way. It means generally speaking, best case you're making par on shorter par 3s and 5s, but most of the time if you play for a bogey... you'll make one. This is fine if you can execute it 18/18 times, but for less skilled players like me, being consistent is part of my issue. I play aggressively and I play to my strengths, which is length, and full wedge shots. I had 7 par's on Sunday and shot 87, because of those 7 pars, 2 of those drives were over 300 yards. I had just short pitches to hit my GIR. I think actually on all my par's (and 1 birdie) I hit pretty long drives and had PW or less each time. Ended up with an 87 due to 2 triples and a few other mishaps.

Why can't I shoot 82 or 83 with ease? Because putting is still pretty bad and so are my shots inside of 50 yards. Those two monster drives??? Yeah my 2nd shots still left me with 30 foot putts each time for birdie. I also missed a birdie putt inside of 5 feet.

Seriously though, if you can legitimately score in the 90s (no mulligans, playing it down and in) the easiest way to break 90 is more likely a change in mindset than anything else.

Bogey is a good score when trying to break 90. Play for bogey, 18 bogies is a 90, "luck" into a couple pars and it gives you room for a double.

Pump a tee shot into the trees, don't think how do I get this to the pin, think, can I get this near the green. Par 5, think what club can I regularly advance a decent distance on the 2nd shot. Miss the green on a par 3, think, get the next one on the green so I have a chance to 2 putt.

When I break 90, this is my plan. Play with a plan for bogie. Go for GIR+1 vs only GIR.

If that’s your plan when starting each hole, that how to NOT break 90. You are leaving yourself no room for truly bad shots.

You don't want to play for bogey, what you want to do is not GIVE AWAY bogey. You've got to do what you can at that stage is give yourself a putt for par. You don't need to be a chipping maestro to break 90. You just need to get the ball anywhere on the green the shot after you miss the GIR. And then not three putt.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

You don't want to play for bogey, what you want to do is not GIVE AWAY bogey. You've got to do what you can at that stage is give yourself a putt for par. You don't need to be a chipping maestro to break 90. You just need to get the ball anywhere on the green the shot after you miss the GIR. And then not three putt.

I think that last part is a little too loose of a requirement. Getting it anywhere on the green is probably not good enough for most higher caps. If you took me to the practice green and gave me 18 forty foot or longer putts, I am putting maaaaybe 50% of them within 5 feet, the rest would be outside 5 feet. For most OK putters, you really want to give yourself 4ft or less I'd say. I'd probably be making 70-80% of my 5-6 footers right now.

So unless the 15-20 capper is an excellent lag putter, just anywhere on the green isn't enough to make sure you aren't 3 putting. I'd say an obtainable but realistic goal is that any missed green, the 3rd shot should be aimed to be within 20ft. At 20feet, my lag % goes way up.

Not to mention for a high capper, a 8-10 footer for bogey is not an excellent feeling. At 5 or 6 feet I feel somewhat confident, but still not thrilled. at 3 feet or less I usually just walk up and tap it in.

If that's your plan when starting each hole, that how to NOT break 90. You are leaving yourself no room for truly bad shots.

Agreed, you should only purposely play for bogey if you get way out of position at some point, in that case take your medicine and play for bogey instead of bringing in a blow up hole. Realistically you are going to need some pars on short par 4s, par 5s, easy par 3s

I think that last part is a little too loose of a requirement. Getting it anywhere on the green is probably not good enough for most higher caps. If you took me to the practice green and gave me 18 forty foot or longer putts, I am putting maaaaybe 50% of them within 5 feet, the rest would be outside 5 feet. For most OK putters, you really want to give yourself 4ft or less I'd say. I'd probably be making 70-80% of my 5-6 footers right now.

I don't think he means that literally, on every hole. If the pin is accessible, you will hit it closer than "anywhere on the green."

If you have a 30-yard shot that requires landing it 2-yards on the green to get it close, don't try to land it 2-yards on the green. Too often I'll see someone try that, hit it short, and not even reach the putting surface. Build some margin for error into the landing zone.

If hitting at the pin is too risky (trouble behind, or the green is too narrow at the angle you'd have to hit it, for example), be willing to play away from the flag a little if that gives you better chances of having a putt.

I aim middle almost every time regardless of trouble (for now) on full shots. At worst if I hit my spot roughly, I might have a 20-30 footer and maybe I get lucky and I'm even closer. On shots inside of maybe... 110, I'll try to be a bit closer to the pin, but anything over 150, I'm middle green all day long. If I accidentlally pump one... I'm still on the green and maybe have a mega long 50-60 footer, or if I catch it a little fat, I'm still on the green with maybe still just a 50-60 footer. If the flag is 150 to the back and I hit my 150 club and pump it 10 yards too long by mistake... hole over in some cases. Middle green is just almost always the best way for me to have par putts. Maybe not birdie putts... but par still.

Some of the bogey+ guys a play with are horrid at just getting the ball green. Failing to get on the green with the first chip is worth two shots to these guys as it just kills confidence and the next chip just barely claws it's way onto the green. My 30cap league partner that I play with can threaten 45 for 9 holes when be is chipping well enough to get onto the green . Then he'll take double par on a hole and shoot 52. He can putt fairly well.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Some of the bogey+ guys a play with are horrid at just getting the ball green. Failing to get on the green with the first chip is worth two shots to these guys as it just kills confidence and the next chip just barely claws it's way onto the green. My 30cap league partner that I play with can threaten 45 for 9 holes when be is chipping well enough to get onto the green . Then he'll take double par on a hole and shoot 52. He can putt fairly well.

Sounds a bit like me, although I manage to keep my scores in the low 90s most of the time. I lay up if need be to avoid having to chip and am usually reasonable at putting. Chipping is definitely an issue for me but the problem is that's a hard thing to practice. I can practice putting at home, I can practice full swings and at pitching my club's range. But the only place I can practice chipping is 25 miles away and a bit of a pain to get to. If I have enough time to practice chipping I usually have enough time to play golf at my club so chipping practice usually loses out.

Sounds a bit like me, although I manage to keep my scores in the low 90s most of the time. I lay up if need be to avoid having to chip and am usually reasonable at putting. Chipping is definitely an issue for me but the problem is that's a hard thing to practice. I can practice putting at home, I can practice full swings and at pitching my club's range. But the only place I can practice chipping is 25 miles away and a bit of a pain to get to. If I have enough time to practice chipping I usually have enough time to play golf at my club so chipping practice usually loses out.

If you have a backyard, you can practice chipping out of rough. And if you're hard core.. mow a section of your yard shorter and pretend it's fairway. Pick a spot and pretend it's a "landing area".

If you have a backyard, you can practice chipping out of rough. And if you're hard core.. mow a section of your yard shorter and pretend it's fairway. Pick a spot and pretend it's a "landing area".

I do have a garden but it's not a good practice area :)

I'm in the UK and in the UK house builders have been shrinking gardens for decades (shrinking houses as well :( ). Despite it being a three bedroom detached property my back garden is a square of 6 metres by 6 metres.

* I don't want to chip towards my patio doors.

* Trying to hunt errant balls out of flower beds is not fun.

* A shed blocks back swings from one corner. A clothes drier blocks swings from the opposite corner.

So that leaves a diagonal chip of about four metres. But..

* The garden slopes a bit. At one of the possible chipping corners that actually makes for a reasonable way to practice chipping from the rough around raised greens. However only one course in the area has those so not hugely useful. It also means chipping toward the patio doors so care is required. Chipping from the other corner is a flat lie but then I'm going down hill so the maximum chipping distance is reduced even further (sadly there's a thorny bush in the opposite corner so really don't want to bury balls in it).

I do sometimes practice in the garden anyway but it's so restrictive that it's hard to do it for more than ten minutes. And if practice isn't at least pleasant then it's not going to happen. The place I can go at least has a three hole 'academy' course with raised greens so is actually a great place to practice irons and the short game. It's just finding the time :-/

When I'm shooting 80's vs 90's all I'm doing is striking the ball better, and also not making a fool of myself with my short game (usually means I've been practicing it). Advancing the ball regularly vs the occasional duff shot that could result in penalties (lots of ravines etc where I play) really helps. It's not hard as long as I don't keep messing with my swing. I think anyone who has confidence hitting the ball 180 yards fairly reliably (straight and distance) can break 90. When I'm comfortable getting like 4 pars each 9, I feel like my game is mid 80's. I think minimum you need to make 3 pars per 9. Birdies don't always help my score lol. Just think steady.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I'm in the UK and in the UK house builders have been shrinking gardens for decades (shrinking houses as well :( ). Despite it being a three bedroom detached property my back garden is a square of 6 metres by 6 metres.

* A shed blocks back swings from one corner. A clothes drier blocks swings from the opposite corner.

* The garden slopes a bit. At one of the possible chipping corners that actually makes for a reasonable way to practice chipping from the rough around raised greens. However only one course in the area has those so not hugely useful. It also means chipping toward the patio doors so care is required. Chipping from the other corner is a flat lie but then I'm going down hill so the maximum chipping distance is reduced even further (sadly there's a thorny bush in the opposite corner so really don't want to bury balls in it).

I do sometimes practice in the garden anyway but it's so restrictive that it's hard to do it for more than ten minutes. And if practice isn't at least pleasant then it's not going to happen. The place I can go at least has a three hole 'academy' course with raised greens so is actually a great place to practice irons and the short game. It's just finding the time :-/

Are there any public parks near by? Do you have a basement or garage? For the park... that could be a place to go hit small chips and pretend it's the rough. You can even buy "Chipping nets" off Amazon that will catch the balls for you. If you have room in your home, you can buy a small little golf matt and hit into that same net.

I live in a condo and when I can't make it to the practice greens, I chip in the public grassy area outside.

I think the majority of folks who cant break 90 would best beneift from the following:

#1) Stop Duffing it: STOP Hitting irons heavy. Thats a big one. That and stop thinning wedges over the green. Thin your irons, Fat your wedges.

#2) Putting speed. Dont hit the ball all over the green. Roll it so it stops near the hole. Closer and closer if you must.

#3) Stop losing balls. Off the tee mostly, but in general: Review every shot, with the primary objective of not losing the ball.

#4) Learn how to get out of a bunker in one stroke every time.

#5) Use the driver less. Ask yourself if the hole would be easier without a driver. Many times a well placed, accurate Fairway or hybrid is far more valuable than a moderately accurate bomb. Put yourself on flat land, with an unobstructed approach shot.

Replying to my own post.... Yeah im doing that..

Anyway. Some might say that this post amounts to "be better at golf" My point is to focus on addressing these 5 issues and you will eventually break 90. The guys that do these things over and over for decades are the same ones banging the crap out of their new taylormade driver at the range. People dont get better at getting out of bunkers because they never practice getting out of bunkers. They constantly duff the ball because they arent even trying to not hit it fat. I watch so many people hit the ball fat every single shot. They dont even know it. On a short, narrow par 4, I can identify the guy who cant break 90, without a doubt, because hell have a goddam driver in his hands.

Another one: Know your shot shape/miss. I walk down the right side of every fairway, that's where I find the free Pro v1's. If your miss is a fade (which it probably is), aim down the left corner. Thats 5+ strokes right there.

Putting speed is another huge one. Every putt, just try to roll it at the right speed. You want it to roll close enough so you get a gimme from your buddies. Watch the guys on tour lag putt. You never see them laser the ball past the cup on the perfect line. On long putts, they may get the line wrong, but they always get the speed right.

Are there any public parks near by? Do you have a basement or garage? For the park... that could be a place to go hit small chips and pretend it's the rough. You can even buy "Chipping nets" off Amazon that will catch the balls for you. If you have room in your home, you can buy a small little golf matt and hit into that same net.

I live in a condo and when I can't make it to the practice greens, I chip in the public grassy area outside.

Not a bad idea but the nearest park has a sign saying 'no hard ball games'. I do sometimes do a bit of chipping on the grassland around my office. That's not too bad actually. Maybe I should keep a ball and club there permanently..

If that’s your plan when starting each hole, that how to NOT break 90. You are leaving yourself no room for truly bad shots.

To be clear I'm not saying stand on the tee box saying to yourself "yea I'm gonna get a bogey woot woot".

Its more like bogey is your new par. You are still trying to do better than "par" on the hole, but if you end up with a bogey thats ok.

This mindset makes a par more like a birdie.

Will this strategy work if you are shooting 120 every time, no. Thats why said if you are legitimately in the 90s, a change of mindset is all you might need.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Eliminate one side of the course, so know your miss.

Practice short game more than anything, unless you get up & down over 66% of the time.

Make more putts.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow